Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Audio Valhalla: Awesome Schiit Under $400 (Review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Audio Valhalla: Awesome Schiit Under $400 (Review) - Page 3

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post

Yeah, I'm reading it on Schiit's website right now.  From the looks of it, it seems the tubes that you can roll onto it are the same ones for the Lyr.  Does that mean the Valhalla can sound similar to a Lyr after some tube rolling?

Nope. Valhalla has its own sound. And you can't roll all Lyr tubes into Valhalla. (PCC88: for example) Bad example: Jason recommends

against that tube type*

post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Nope. Valhalla has its own sound. And you can't roll all Lyr tubes into Valhalla. (PCC88: for example) Bad example: Jason recommends

against that tube type*


I see, but there are few that can be rolled into the Valhalla.  This still interests me heavily.  Has anyone with a rollable-Valhalla do any rolling?  If so, can someone share their impressions on the sound signature?

post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post


I see, but there are few that can be rolled into the Valhalla.  This still interests me heavily.  Has anyone with a rollable-Valhalla do any rolling?  If so, can someone share their impressions on the sound signature?

Yes, there are a few. I just wanted to make sure you didn't blow up Valhalla by making that mistake. haha

 

Mr.Tom seems to be the most experienced with Valhalla tube rolling. Though I don't feel the Valhalla is really roll-able-enough. lol

post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Nope. Valhalla has its own sound. And you can't roll all Lyr tubes into Valhalla. (PCC88: for example) Bad example: Jason recommends

against that tube type*

Yeah, those PCC88/7DJ8 are bad tubes.biggrin.gif

post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Nope. Valhalla has its own sound. And you can't roll all Lyr tubes into Valhalla. (PCC88: for example) Bad example: Jason recommends

against that tube type*

From Schiit site.

 

Lyr= Tube Complement: ECC88 or 6BZ7 dual triode, 1 per channel (rollable to all 6922/6DJ8/ECC88/6BZ7 types and similar)

 

Val=6N1Ps rollable to 6DJ8, E88CC, 6922, 6BZ7, and similar types.

 

Looks close enough.

post #36 of 40

Also, keep in mind that there's no need to change tube model to change the sound. I've found at least 6 model variations of the 6n1p, Then there's different years, like the 60's era tubes sound different than 80's or late 90's.

 

On the 6dj8's there's dozens of brands/years.

post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Yes, there are a few. I just wanted to make sure you didn't blow up Valhalla by making that mistake. haha

 

Mr.Tom seems to be the most experienced with Valhalla tube rolling. Though I don't feel the Valhalla is really roll-able-enough. lol


Haha, thanks.  I'm not sure if I want to make the leap onto the Valhalla yet.  I like it and have seen many people/websites (including Schiit) mention how the Valhalla is great for Beyers and Sennheisers.  Yet I'm more than terrified that the known highs of the amp will make my DT990s become sibilant.  Thus my reason in "Valhalla tube rolling." :)

post #38 of 40

I don't own the Valhalla, although I've been rolling the Lyr for 1 1/2 years.  Everyone hears differently, but in my experience tubes from the necessity era (the period when tubes were widely used, 50-60s, since SS was in it's infancy) provide better SQ.  Your mileage may vary.

post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tom View Post

From Schiit site.

 

Lyr= Tube Complement: ECC88 or 6BZ7 dual triode, 1 per channel (rollable to all 6922/6DJ8/ECC88/6BZ7 types and similar)

 

Val=6N1Ps rollable to 6DJ8, E88CC, 6922, 6BZ7, and similar types.

 

Looks close enough.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tom View Post

Also, keep in mind that there's no need to change tube model to change the sound. I've found at least 6 model variations of the 6n1p, Then there's different years, like the 60's era tubes sound different than 80's or late 90's.

 

On the 6dj8's there's dozens of brands/years.

So it's the years that differ in sound and not the model.  Interesting.  I suppose that can make sense.  I recall reading that the DT990 from the year 2005 is the best one to own.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that point, though.  I wouldn't know what year my cans are.rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope View Post

I don't own the Valhalla, although I've been rolling the Lyr for 1 1/2 years.  Everyone hears differently, but in my experience tubes from the necessity era (the period when tubes were widely used, 50-60s, since SS was in it's infancy) provide better SQ.  Your mileage may vary.

That is true.  I don't recall much if I ever heard old tube amps other than old guitar tube amps, but I do feel the same concept applies in a way.

 

Thanks for your input guys.  On the note of the PCC88/7DJ8 tubes, I don't think I'd go with a tube(s) that weren't recommended on Schiit's site either way.

post #40 of 40

I think it's important to note that tube manufacturing process, tooling, know how, and materials vary from one manufacturing facility to another.  Which also applies to the tube era when tube manufacturing was relied on by virtually all electronics, incuding military. Nominal sonic differences in tubes will manifest themselves from one production lott to the next, not to mention different manufactures, facilities and tooling.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Audio Valhalla: Awesome Schiit Under $400 (Review)