Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread - Page 2

post #16 of 1202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

Nice review :)


Thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitfliesst View Post

Sweet! I went ahead and bought one, hope to get it soon. The um3x are also quite good for metal IMO, since they have a fast response with good instrument separation. You can really hear all the instruments clear and loud, but the relatively small soundstage is a minus though.


Awesome! You will love them. I forgot to mention the seperation in my previous response. I find the Atrio's have a strong ability to seperate each instrument, each note and produce it all in a cohesive manner...I believe this is where the "True Timbre" comes into it. I never get muddled notes at any frequency, which includes bass. Bass note seperation is the hardest thing to master IMO and the Atrio's nailed it!

 

post #17 of 1202

I just got my atrio m5 (mg7?) I ordered from Future Sonic's website. But I'm suspicious if this is the new version or the old one, since I've heard that they are physically identical, and the packaging and manual shows nothing that indicates that they have the mg7 transducers. The copyrights are from 2010 on the back of the box, so does that indicate something? I'm confused.

post #18 of 1202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitfliesst View Post

I just got my atrio m5 (mg7?) I ordered from Future Sonic's website. But I'm suspicious if this is the new version or the old one, since I've heard that they are physically identical, and the packaging and manual shows nothing that indicates that they have the mg7 transducers. The copyrights are from 2010 on the back of the box, so does that indicate something? I'm confused.


If it's from FS, it's definitely MG7. Also, it should state MG7 (on the back of the box I think).

 

Is the box brown coloured recycled with a glossy cardboard sleeve around it? If so, there is no doubt it is MG7.

 

post #19 of 1202

Yeah, you're right. It's a brown recycled box with a plastic casing inside it. Still can't see where the mg7 transducers are mentioned, but oh well. I just took a listen and although these aren't burned in, they sound pretty nice out of the box. Bass feels bloated as if there's a mid-bass hump, but waiting to see improvement in this area.

 

Edit: Goodness, forgive me I must be blind. It does mention in the upper right corner in small font that they are MG7 transducers tongue.gif.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navmau View Post


If it's from FS, it's definitely MG7. Also, it should state MG7 (on the back of the box I think).

 

Is the box brown coloured recycled with a glossy cardboard sleeve around it? If so, there is no doubt it is MG7.

 



 


Edited by zeitfliesst - 1/12/12 at 5:45pm
post #20 of 1202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitfliesst View Post

Yeah, you're right. It's a brown recycled box with a plastic casing inside it. Still can't see where the mg7 transducers are mentioned, but oh well. I just took a listen and although these aren't burned in, they sound pretty nice out of the box. Bass feels bloated as if there's a mid-bass hump, but waiting to see improvement in this area.
 



 

On the back of the packaging, it states MG7 under "Protransducers".

 

Mid-bass hump? That is a surprise. I didn't really get that even straight out of the box, it just wasn't as refined/textured and with burn-in, the texture and seperation became amazing.
 

 

post #21 of 1202

I'm coming from the um3x, so maybe that's why I felt that way comparatively speaking. The kick drum is definitely louder with these than the um3x, but I guess it might not be loud enough to quantify as mid-bass hump. Gotta listen to more tracks, but I already feel that these are quite good for metal music smily_headphones1.gif

post #22 of 1202

50% off coupon code still works! Just ordered the chocolate browns.... looking forward to seeing how these compare to my Turbine Copper Pros... I have a feeling I'll be selling the Coppers as soon as I hear the Atrios.

 

EDIT: getting lots of PMs for the coupon code.. it's for use at atrio.me, and the code is CostProg50%


Edited by kloan - 1/14/12 at 8:52pm
post #23 of 1202

I just had a girlfriend listen to the mg7 Atrio and the demo UE IERM and she liked the Atrio better. "These sound more real", she said of the Atrio.

 

As I've mentioned before, a different girlfriend found the Atrio matched up against the Sony EX1000, with the Atrio doing better with classical music. She liked rock with the Sony more.

post #24 of 1202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

I just had a girlfriend listen to the mg7 Atrio and the demo UE IERM and she liked the Atrio better. "These sound more real", she said of the Atrio.

 

As I've mentioned before, a different girlfriend found the Atrio matched up against the Sony EX1000, with the Atrio doing better with classical music. She liked rock with the Sony more.

This confirms my saying the Atrio's are mis-understood creatures and also that they are priced way under their performance.
 

 

post #25 of 1202

Do you guys find the MG7 tip dependent? IMO these have quite different sounds when used with silicon triple flanges or Shure black foams. The triple flanges tended to sound pretty sharp and harsh, and the bass was somewhat unrefined or loose. The black foams do a much better job at bringing out the bass, making it more tighter and punchy. Since I bought these primarily for the bass I'm liking the black foams more. Strange thing is that comfort with the triple flanges or included black double flanges was quite bad since they either got irritating or built too much pressure inside my ear, but I have much better comfort with the same triple flanges on the um3x. I guess the teardrop shaped design isn't really one of its strong points.


Edited by zeitfliesst - 1/16/12 at 8:24pm
post #26 of 1202
Thread Starter 

You are right. The double flange tips are pretty horrible for my ears too. I find the foam tips that come with the Atrio's are the ultimate match up. They present the best sound and provide extreme comfort. I listen to my Atrio's ~10hrs per day so you can imagine how important comfort is to me.

 

I am liking the Atrio black foams more and more. They sound great, are very durable and look nice (not that looks are important).

post #27 of 1202

Yeah, it's a shame really because as you mentioned in your review, the double flanges actually sounded pretty good, albeit sounding completely different from the Shure black foams. I could only use the medium ones, but it still built too much pressure in my ears. I haven't used the included foam tips yet because just looking at them make me itchy, but I guess I'll give them a shot later.

post #28 of 1202
Thread Starter 

Yep. I wish FS designed them with more comfort in mind because sound wise, they are fantastic! I can't keep them in my ears for longer than 15 mins due to the pressure pain that builds up. They need to put the second flange closer to the first so there is less gap between the two flanges. This would retain the sound quality plus provide a lot more comfort.

post #29 of 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitfliesst View Post

Do you guys find the MG7 tip dependent? IMO these have quite different sounds when used with silicon triple flanges or Shure black foams. The triple flanges tended to sound pretty sharp and harsh, and the bass was somewhat unrefined or loose. The black foams do a much better job at bringing out the bass, making it more tighter and punchy. Since I bought these primarily for the bass I'm liking the black foams more. Strange thing is that comfort with the triple flanges or included black double flanges was quite bad since they either got irritating or built too much pressure inside my ear, but I have much better comfort with the same triple flanges on the um3x. I guess the teardrop shaped design isn't really one of its strong points.



I can never get a good seal with those double flanges.  I swap in shure olives right away - omg, such a good fit, makes Atrio so comfortable.

 

What tracks do you guys play to really demo the sub-bass?

post #30 of 1202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmai View Post



I can never get a good seal with those double flanges.  I swap in shure olives right away - omg, such a good fit, makes Atrio so comfortable.

 

What tracks do you guys play to really demo the sub-bass?


Sub-bass..."Woofer Cooker" by Boston Accoustics. This track REALLY shows the sub-bass capabilities of the Atrio's!

 

I know what you mean about the double-flanges, they are the worse tips ever! The Atrio foams are the best. The Shure foams are the most comfortable, most durable foam tips ever made but IMO they are not suitable for the Atrio sound sig.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread