Ooh la la, here we go. Thanks both. If I had the money I probably would have jumped today. Going to be another few weeks. I'm just so fond of the D100 that I have to know about this one. DSD is the least of my concerns.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productMatrix Quattro Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productweiss audio DAC202tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by System, 6/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? Last post on 4/29/16 at 5:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 12/22/15 at 10:14pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Balanced DACs $600 - $1600, the segment explodes Last post on 8/8/13 at 11:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Current Positions: AMGN- 2 shares- 144 cost basis per share. C- 5 shares- 56.27 cost basis per share. Cash Position- $3,412.75 Wow is the first word that popped into my mind after putting on...
Design & Comfort: Why can't you all do this? AudioQuest makes their first headphone and immediately gets so many things right that other companies seem to completely ignore. They even had the...
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 66post #976 of 10324/18/14 at 10:45pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #977 of 10324/19/14 at 1:07amQuote:
That's the point. If you don't need the built in amp because you own one and you already own a good quality usb converter then this might not be the best option. Especially if you don't have use for the DSD function. Let's see what the reviewers think of it. I don't like paying for stuff I'm not going to use.post #978 of 10324/19/14 at 4:00ampost #979 of 10324/19/14 at 6:18am
Why don't you read this and then the D2 review of the same user (project 86). That should tell you everything you need to know.post #980 of 10324/19/14 at 8:54amThread Starter
My initial suspicion on the D200 (note that I'm just guessing, haven't heard it for myself) is that it probably shoots for the same more neutral, clear sound as the A28 amp, rather than the warmer/smoother tone of the A18 and D18 models. Then again, it shares a lot of the design with DA8 which was more neutral than D18 but still warmer than D100. So who knows.post #981 of 10324/20/14 at 3:58am
Could someone please explain to me how to connect Yulong U18 -> Yulong D18 -> Yulong A18? I would like to know which inputs/outputs and what sort of cables to use (stating the connector types)?
Basically, how do I achieve a fully balanced output?
Edited by InCreD1Ble - 4/20/14 at 5:13ampost #982 of 10324/20/14 at 8:10amQuote:
You connect the dac output to the amp input using 2 xlr cables. You can connect the U18 to input on the dac using xlr, optical or coax cable its your choice. Most people use the rca output on the U18 and connect to the dac with coax cable. The U18, of course, must be connected to one of your usb 2.0 connections on your computer. If you try to connect to a usb 3.0 connection it might work but usually it causes problems. Your headphones must be balanced using balanced cable to get the fully balanced effect. You will also probably have to load a driver provided for the U18.post #983 of 10324/20/14 at 8:43ampost #984 of 10324/20/14 at 9:11ampost #985 of 10324/20/14 at 12:37pmpost #986 of 10324/20/14 at 11:21pm
Thanks for the replies guys.
So balanced/unbalanced mode switch in A18 is just for your equipment adjustment? Is D18 a balanced source?
My headphones have a 4 pin XLR connector but at the moment I am using a 4 pin XLR to 6.3mm adapter which goes into "Headphone" output (I don't have the D18 yet). So if I use the A18/D18 combo, would the connector have to be plugged into the "BAL Headphones" output and the switch set to "balanced"?
Besides, is there any advantage in using AES/EBU over coaxial in this particular setup?post #987 of 10324/21/14 at 12:07am
Switch on the back of the A18 has to be on balanced mode, but you can use both outputs in front.
I use the 6,3 because I (still) don't own a balanced cable.
D18 is fully balanced btw.post #988 of 10324/21/14 at 12:36ampost #989 of 10324/21/14 at 12:47am
Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601833/yulongs-new-flagship-amp-a18 people tend to say that A18 has both - balanced inputs and outputs. Is that wrong?
Also here: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122 it explicitly says "balanced" in the title?
Edited by InCreD1Ble - 4/21/14 at 12:49ampost #990 of 10324/21/14 at 6:51amThread Starter
People confuse "balanced" with "having XLR inputs and a 4-pin XLR output". It's an easy mistake to make - I've done so myself on several occasions. Plus there's still some debate over what constitutes a "true" balanced design... see the vigorous arguing over Woo Audio's WA22 "balanced" output, or the Bryston BHA-1 which is pretty much a balanced input stage and output stage with an unbalanced middle section (therefore a conversion from balance to SE then back to balanced).
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 7 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 15 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 52 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 6 minutes ago
- › Anything happening in North or South Carolina? 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear