- 1,174 Posts. Joined 3/2013
- Location: At the venue
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productMatrix Quattro Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productweiss audio DAC202tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by System, 6/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? Last post on 4/29/16 at 5:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 12/22/15 at 10:14pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Balanced DACs $600 - $1600, the segment explodes Last post on 8/8/13 at 11:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 64post #946 of 104312/28/13 at 4:43pmThe ifi audio iusb + ilink is a great value imo.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #947 of 104312/29/13 at 7:10amThread Starter
Just spotted THIS in the classified section. Probably not the best thing in the world, but the price is hard to fault, and it seems to use decent parts. It solves the USB problem, though you'd still need to figure something out for volume control.
EDIT I've not necessarily recommending this buyer, I have no clue who they are. Just showing an example of a very affordable USB solution.
Edited by project86 - 12/29/13 at 7:12ampost #948 of 10432/23/14 at 9:33pmpost #949 of 10432/24/14 at 3:13pm
When my D18 is cold I get a random 1 second skip every minute or so until it warms up.I believe I am not the first to have this issue with this unit,is there an easy solution?Is it ok to leave it powered on 24/7 to avoid this issue??post #950 of 10432/24/14 at 3:29pmQuote:
I haven't had that issue when I owned the D18, but then again I just left it on 24/7.post #951 of 10432/24/14 at 3:48pmQuote:
My D18 does this also , I just let it run for 1/2 an hour before use
I wouldn't leave it on 24/7 this is my third D18 the first was D.O.A but the second went up in smoke after six months
No problems with this one other than the skip issuepost #952 of 10432/24/14 at 10:24pm
I've had my D18 for more than a year and never had any problem. Those with problems may have something to do with the usb interface they are using. I recall hearing that some people had problems with maintaining a good signal lock. I use the Hiface 2 and never had any problem. Thinking about upgrading the D18 to the DA8 but I don't need the amp section or the built in usb. I hate paying for stuff I don't need. I also love the musical nature of the D18. Still, I am getting the upgrade bug since I recently got a pair of HD800 to add to my hp collection. It does sound really great out of the D18. Not really sure what would be a solid upgrade. I don't like the highly analytical nature of many dacs out there.post #953 of 10432/25/14 at 6:38amThread Starterpost #954 of 10432/25/14 at 6:43amQuote:
I agree, the D18 is one of those understated masterpieces for the price/performance ratio that gives you that wonderful analog-ish sound. If you want "better" though, then you would surely be pleased with the DA8.post #955 of 10432/25/14 at 6:55am
If this dropout issue stays the way it is,no big deal letting it warm up for 5 min,but if it gets progressively worse then its obviously going to be a problem.I contacted Yulong about this yesterday morning,still awaiting a response.post #956 of 10432/25/14 at 8:08amQuote:
What source are you connecting it to? I remember when I had the D18 that it was quite picky. I've had great success with the HiFace2 and KingRex UC384 USB/SPDIF converters.post #957 of 10432/25/14 at 8:14amQuote:
I think I will take your advice and stick with the D18 for now. I may satisfy my upgrade bug by looking for another ss amp (I have an M Stage). I have the CMA800R in my sights. I missed out on a buy last week and I'm still kicking myself. I have two tube amps but sometimes I like the clarity of ss just for a change of pace.post #958 of 10432/25/14 at 9:40amQuote:Originally Posted by Chodi
I think I will take your advice and stick with the D18 for now. I may satisfy my upgrade bug by looking for another ss amp (I have an M Stage). I have the CMA800R in my sights. I missed out on a buy last week and I'm still kicking myself. I have two tube amps but sometimes I like the clarity of ss just for a change of pace.
Cool, I once had the exact same setup as you do now. D18 + M-Stage, my "early days" of Head-Fi :D the M-Stage is great and all, but trust me, there is better out there. You don't know what the D18 is capable of - give it a better amppost #959 of 10432/25/14 at 12:59pmpost #960 of 10432/25/14 at 1:06pmQuote:
I think the balanced output sounds better IMO. The single-ended is closest to neutral of the two, but there is this sort of inoffensive tizziness up top that glosses over the details in the highest frequencies. The bass also isn't as holographic as the XLR output. I think the words I'm looking for is that the RCA output is sweet without the warmth, and the XLR output is both.
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 3 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 4 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 7 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 7 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 7 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 8 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 8 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 9 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 9 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › IC : Grado HP1000 9 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear