Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 63

post #931 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post
 


Hi

Would your windows volume control on your laptop not work with this set-up?Seems like your only option to me?


Don't use OS volume control with a DAC like the D18.

post #932 of 999

Can you suggest a good amp at low cost (below $100 if it's possible) to use with this DAC? 

 

I have Konnekt 8 , you can see the interface below 

 

 

It has S/PDIF , so the setup could be  Laptop -- (firewire 1394)--> Konnekt 8 ---- (S/pdif)---->  DAC D18 --> Power --> Speakers. 

This is  option 1. 

 

Option 2:  sell Konnekt 8 to buy Airport Express (which has optical out) and a pre-amp to use with this DAC.

 

Which option do you think better?

 

I have just purchased D18, it has not arrived yet so I can't try it now. 

 

Thank you for your help.


Edited by quanghuy147 - 12/25/13 at 9:05pm
post #933 of 999

Toss the firewire, toss the Konnekt 8, get a USB-to-SPDIF, use AES/EBU or Coaxial out

post #934 of 999
Can you suggest a usb to spdif?
post #935 of 999

I am not sure if I understand your problem... Does "power" mean you have an amp with volume control or just pure amplification? Do you need volume control or a better way to directly connect your PC to the D18?

post #936 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AManAnd88Keys View Post
 

I am not sure if I understand your problem... Does "power" mean you have an amp with volume control or just pure amplification? Do you need volume control or a better way to directly connect your PC to the D18?

Thank you and Darken23 for the answers. With the 'power', I mean an amp withthout control volume, just to power the speakers.   

post #937 of 999
What's your budget on the SPDIF converter?
post #938 of 999

@DarKen23: As low as possible :)

 

I guess digital-to-digital conversion is not too complicated as digital to analog , isn't it? So the cheap one is not so different fromthe expensive one? I read somewhere, it's said numbers are just numbers.  I don't know how true it is. 

post #939 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghuy147 View Post

@DarKen23
: As low as possible smily_headphones1.gif

I guess digital-to-digital conversion is not too complicated as digital to analog , isn't it? So the cheap one is not so different fromthe expensive one? I read somewhere, it's said numbers are just numbers.  I don't know how true it is. 
Not true. Converts have different sounds. Different converters manage jitter differently as well.
post #940 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghuy147 View Post
 

@DarKen23: As low as possible :)

 

I guess digital-to-digital conversion is not too complicated as digital to analog , isn't it? So the cheap one is not so different fromthe expensive one? I read somewhere, it's said numbers are just numbers.  I don't know how true it is. 


Numbers are NOT just numbers, in the end they are still square waves. Different gear will have an effect on how perfect those square waves are.

On the volume control issue, a digital/digital converter won't help you with that. You'll have to put a preamp between the D18 and the power amp.

post #941 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
 

Toss the firewire, toss the Konnekt 8, get a USB-to-SPDIF, use AES/EBU or Coaxial out

I have some more questions to bother you guys :)

 

1-Can I know the reason why Konnekt 8 is not a good choice?  

 

2-As for the a USB-to-SPDIF converter, what do you think about the airport express of Apple ?  This one is very cheap , around $30 for a used one.

 

3-Is there a good and simple preamp that does only the volume-control job? My budget for it is under $100.


Edited by quanghuy147 - 12/26/13 at 5:43pm
post #942 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghuy147 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

 
Toss the firewire, toss the Konnekt 8, get a USB-to-SPDIF, use AES/EBU or Coaxial out
I have some more questions to bother you guys smily_headphones1.gif

1-Can I know the reason why Konnekt 8 is not a good choice?  

2-As for the a USB-to-SPDIF converter, what do you think about the airport express of Apple ?  This one is very cheap , around $30 for a used one.

3-Is there a good and simple preamp that does only the volume-control job? My budget for it is under $100.
You get what you pay for. And while a lot of times paying more may not get you more. I'm certain the sound quality you'll get from the $30.00 converter will be garbage compared to something like an audiophilleo. Rather than asking the obvious, have a try yourself.
post #943 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghuy147 View Post
 

I have some more questions to bother you guys :)

 

1-Can I know the reason why Konnekt 8 is not a good choice?  

 

2-As for the a USB-to-SPDIF converter, what do you think about the airport express of Apple ?  This one is very cheap , around $30 for a used one.

 

3-Is there a good and simple preamp that does only the volume-control job? My budget for it is under $100.


There's a very good preamp, but you can't have it for $100. To be honest, I don't think $100 will get you anything worthwhile....

post #944 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghuy147 View Post
 

I have some more questions to bother you guys :)

 

1-Can I know the reason why Konnekt 8 is not a good choice?  

 

2-As for the a USB-to-SPDIF converter, what do you think about the airport express of Apple ?  This one is very cheap , around $30 for a used one.

 

3-Is there a good and simple preamp that does only the volume-control job? My budget for it is under $100.


The bottlehead quickie sounds nice for the price, but you'd probably end up going over budget building it.

post #945 of 999

Thank you , I'll check the bottlehead quickie. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)