I'll third GrumpyOldMan. I find the D18 neither too warm or over-analytical. I suppose if a person owned an analytical DAC before the D-18 then he may have already tweaked/softened his system to compensate, and then that would make the initial impression.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productMatrix Quattro Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productweiss audio DAC202tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by System, 6/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? Last post on 4/29/16 at 5:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 12/22/15 at 10:14pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Balanced DACs $600 - $1600, the segment explodes Last post on 8/8/13 at 11:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Prize: 189 Euro. DAC performance is less good as you can read in many other reviews. Personally I find the DAC good enough. But then again, I do not have another to compare. Connectivity is...
Acknowledgment Thanks Mike Diaz at Ultimate Ears for supplying these as a review sample, with special thanks to David Guitierrez for his excellent customer service. These are going to kick butt...
It's not free to you, but it was to me. I was not even interested in this IEM until it was offered to me for free by Rose on the condition I reviewed it. I'm happy to say this is an honest 5 star...
With thanks to our great supporter of headfi @Andykong, I have had the Cayin i5 on loan for a fortnight or so. I have had the chance to listen to it extensively. My focus has mainly been on the...
Introduction With thanks to @glassmonkey , and Aune, here is my first review for 2017 - the M1S DAP. I shall not be labouring the point. There is a 55 page discussions and impressions...
Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 57
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #842 of 10323/18/13 at 7:03amThread Starter
I feel somewhat responsible for this whole "warm and smooth" thing. It's difficult to describe sound, and when I review/compare DACs I'm really focusing on the excruciatingly small differences in character that each one has. So to my ears, the D18 does in fact have a warmth and smoothness (over the XLR connection) that is not present on any other ES9018 based DAC I've yet heard. But that doesn't make it warm and smooth in the same sense as say a NOS DAC or some lush tube DAC. So it's a tricky position to be in.
I hope that things have become more clear now that multiple other people chime in with their impressions. That always helps.post #843 of 10323/18/13 at 12:32pmHello project86
Thank you for your original review of the D18. As a result of reading your review I purchased the D18 and am now using it with the U18 (with separate p/s). I am very pleased with the sound (driving ATC50 active speakers directly over XLR) on high quality music, but find the sound uncomfortable on some lower quality recordings (even though they are 16/44) In the high frequencies. The ATC speakers are derived from true studio monitors and have a very quick response ie a sharp leading edge to the sound. Someone has suggested that I would get all the detail, but a more comfortable sound if I swapped to the Eximus DP1 DAC. This DAC also has a built in preamp (which may contribute to the more analogue sound) as well as providing an analogue volume control.
Have you or any other reader compared the sound from the D18 and the Eximus DP1. I should be most interested to hear your comments.post #844 of 10323/18/13 at 1:32pm
I have the Eximus DP1, but havent heard the D18. But I do have a Ressonnessence Concero which uses a Sabre chip, but not really a comparison. First I wouldnt use the preamp section. Its good, but not great. I really like the headphone section, if thats what you will be using. The Dac section is the bomb. Slightly warm, lush mids and really good detail retrieval. Like a really comfy couch. When I think of the Sabre dac I hear a really tall image with lots of space, air. The DP1 is more about density, saturation, tone and is very musical. But its expensive. Ive heard the ATC50 and they can sound bright. They are a nearfield monitor?
Anyways.. kind of useless since its not a comparison. lol GLpost #845 of 10323/18/13 at 2:20pmThanks. I appreciate your comments even if not a direct comparison. I intend to use the ATC speakers rather than the headphone. They are mid field speakers and have the very quick response as they are active (with powerful amp just behind very large magnets to exert total control over the driver). So, what is your concern over the DP1 preamp?post #846 of 10323/18/13 at 2:33pmpost #847 of 10323/19/13 at 7:54amQuote:
You can always try a tube buffer in the signal path :)post #848 of 10323/20/13 at 8:15pmHello and good evening
Today I got my D18. As always, before even turning it on, I've opened the case to check the internals.I was surprised when I saw this...It looks like it was modded \ repaired and It's different from every picture I've seen so far on the web. Like this:I've contacted the guy who sold it to me (on ebay) and he sent the pictures to Yulong. They told him this is actualy an update and the unit should sond better then the earlier revision. Has anyone seen this? The transistor with the heat sink on gets really hot. Measured at 158F.The unit seems to be working fine after adjusting the U18 driver settings (it was clicking and freezing the first time i tried) and the sound seems right, but I am really curious and worried about this.In the pictures, you can also see that there was clearly some repair done to the ICs and an extra capacitor close to the transistor.What do you guys think?PS. Sorry, I can't get the images to show properly for some reason.Thanks!ggpost #849 of 10323/20/13 at 8:25pmpost #850 of 10323/20/13 at 8:34pm
Yeah I would e-mail Yulong or possibly even Grant Fidelity to see if they could get some more information about it. Just curious, which seller did you buy it from and was it advertised as new?post #851 of 10323/20/13 at 8:39pmThread Starterpost #852 of 10323/20/13 at 9:08pm
Whoa just took a closer look at the pictures. It may possibly be some sort of revision that wasn't advertised.. the PCB is different and has been changed (if only slightly). The C79 position on the PCB with the extra capacitor doesn't even exist on the picture of the original version. Same goes with C64 position which houses a new resistor that doesn't exist in the original version.
You can see it in this picture: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ggmesquita/media/IMG_20130320_183718_234.jpg.html
Compare to this picture: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ggmesquita/media/d18original.jpeg.html
Doesn't change the fact that it's very sloppy.. but it is interesting.
Edited by EraserXIV - 3/20/13 at 9:09pmpost #853 of 10323/20/13 at 10:07pmThread StarterI just noticed that as well. Interesting. I wonder if it's a revision that's been around for who knows how long, and nobody noticed until now. The sloppy work does seem like maybe the seller fixed a defective board, or "upgraded" a working model. I'm sure there's a story behind it, but you might not like the story.post #854 of 10323/21/13 at 2:47ampost #855 of 10323/21/13 at 3:22am
So curiosity got the better of me, and since the D18 was about the only equipment I hadn't had a peek into, I just did:
I've had mine for a while, still with the green power button. I think the "official" photos may have been of a pre-production board. However it is pretty obvious that ggmesquita's board was put together by technician who was somewhat inexperienced, in a hurry, having a bad day, or a combination of those. I guess since it passed QC in terms of working, it shouldn't affect sound... they probably assumed what consumer will look inside anyway? :\
If you want to check yours, a tip: you only have to remove the top 2 corner screws in the front & back, the top half can then be lifted off (may require a bit of prying depending how straight the front & back plates line up) That's some solid build quality though, given how thick the plates are.
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Triad L3, firestone audio supplier and silver/gold 3.5mm to RCA... 8 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 16 seconds ago
- › The New Thinksound Woodies. ON2, Rain3 and MS02 26 seconds ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 57 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by chihwahli
- › Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered by glassmonkey
- › Rose Aurora by vapman
- › Cayin i5 by Takeanidea
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Takeanidea
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by MrChiSox
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by jasonwdonnelly
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by JonnyA
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear