Thanks Project86. I hope you don't mind that I linked you're stellar review. ;)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productMatrix Quattro Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productweiss audio DAC202tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by System, 6/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? Last post on 4/29/16 at 5:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 12/22/15 at 10:14pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Balanced DACs $600 - $1600, the segment explodes Last post on 8/8/13 at 11:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I am by no means an audiophile nor do I call myself one. My experience with quality audio products is very limited and so is my vocabulary on this topic. That being said I took a pair of these...
Full review can be found at: https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-high-res-player-review/ Rating The NO BULL rating system is designed to take as many aspects of the device into...
I've had a short history with headphones. My first pair of good headphones were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I will mostly be comparing these two. These headphones are much more better looking,...
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 49post #721 of 10321/14/13 at 7:33am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #722 of 10321/14/13 at 8:55amThread Starterpost #723 of 10321/14/13 at 10:40ampost #724 of 10321/14/13 at 11:36amThread Starterpost #725 of 10321/15/13 at 2:46pmpost #726 of 10321/16/13 at 1:12amQuote:
I want it. And can afford it after the 26th. But I actually need and amp first :/
AH #$%(*&^%$#$%^&*()*&^%$#@post #727 of 10321/16/13 at 6:27am
It actually sold last night after being on the for sale forums for only a couple of days - sorry. I'll definitely miss this DAC and the rest of my full-size setup. I hope my upcoming portable setup will be as satisfying as I am hoping.post #728 of 10321/16/13 at 9:13pmpost #729 of 10321/20/13 at 10:10pm
Helping a friend sell his like-new D18 if anyone might want it. He moved way up market to a Wavelength USB DAC which cost many times more but only sounds a little better.post #730 of 10321/22/13 at 3:01am
the less romantic and similarly priced made in the US (really?) schiit gungnir sounds like it's more to my speed and detail preferences and paired with an in between solid state and tube TBI millenium amp, i'd expect a relatively neutral, but liquid sound. we'll see. you can always add warmth to a source down the road, but you can't ever take it back. there's also potential to upgrade the DAC or the output amp down the road with the schiit, but if it's as good as it's rep, i think i'd be happy with that as my "last DAC". a class D amp that leans towards SET sound is a nice way to get a liquid sound. at the amplifier end of the chain is the best place to warm a source tape signal i thought i'd read.post #731 of 10321/22/13 at 6:16amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by budget minded
the less romantic and similarly priced made in the US (really?) schiit gungnir sounds like it's more to my speed and detail preferences and paired with an in between solid state and tube TBI millenium amp, i'd expect a relatively neutral, but liquid sound. we'll see. you can always add warmth to a source down the road, but you can't ever take it back. there's also potential to upgrade the DAC or the output amp down the road with the schiit, but if it's as good as it's rep, i think i'd be happy with that as my "last DAC". a class D amp that leans towards SET sound is a nice way to get a liquid sound. at the amplifier end of the chain is the best place to warm a source tape signal i thought i'd read.
It sort of depends. I find that a warm amp gives a different result than a warm DAC, even though we describe both with the same word. I have yet to experience Gungnir so I can't say how it compares with the D18. I did finally hear the Bifrost which I found good but not amazing at the price. And I also heard Mjolnir which was very impressive. I still think I like the Yulong A18 better but it's extremely close with each having their own character.post #732 of 10321/23/13 at 10:44ampost #733 of 10321/23/13 at 12:42pm
I have both the Bifrost and the D18 and definitely think the Yulong is a step up. Not to mention if you need balanced, there's no question. Haven't heard the Schiit midrange gear yet.
Reliability: For me, no problems since I got it.post #734 of 10321/23/13 at 12:53pm
I haven't heard or read about any specific reliability issues for the Yulong D100 or D18. My D18 definitely appeared to have very tight build quality and it sure didn't seem like it would be likely to have problems.
I purchased mine through Grant Fidelity, which provides US based sales support, customer service, and warranty followup. Rachel at Grant Fidelity is awesome for customer service. To me, I view this type of arrangement with solid US based support night and day differently than ordering direct from China and hoping for the best.
This is just my experience and perceptions though.
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › The Playstation 4 Pro is Out! 16 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 42 seconds ago
- › FS: NAD VISO HP 50 (Black color) 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear. 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › iFi iRack 5 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 6 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic T51p & T51i impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA 6 minutes ago
- › The custom art Harmony 8.2 European demo tour 7 minutes ago
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by JonnyA
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by TheoS53
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear