Thanks Project86. I hope you don't mind that I linked you're stellar review. ;)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productMatrix Quattro Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productweiss audio DAC202tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by System, 6/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? Last post on 4/29/16 at 5:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 12/22/15 at 10:14pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Balanced DACs $600 - $1600, the segment explodes Last post on 8/8/13 at 11:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 49post #721 of 10321/14/13 at 7:33am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #722 of 10321/14/13 at 8:55amThread Starterpost #723 of 10321/14/13 at 10:40ampost #724 of 10321/14/13 at 11:36amThread Starterpost #725 of 10321/15/13 at 2:46pmpost #726 of 10321/16/13 at 1:12amQuote:
I want it. And can afford it after the 26th. But I actually need and amp first :/
AH #$%(*&^%$#$%^&*()*&^%$#@post #727 of 10321/16/13 at 6:27am
It actually sold last night after being on the for sale forums for only a couple of days - sorry. I'll definitely miss this DAC and the rest of my full-size setup. I hope my upcoming portable setup will be as satisfying as I am hoping.post #728 of 10321/16/13 at 9:13pmpost #729 of 10321/20/13 at 10:10pm
Helping a friend sell his like-new D18 if anyone might want it. He moved way up market to a Wavelength USB DAC which cost many times more but only sounds a little better.post #730 of 10321/22/13 at 3:01am
the less romantic and similarly priced made in the US (really?) schiit gungnir sounds like it's more to my speed and detail preferences and paired with an in between solid state and tube TBI millenium amp, i'd expect a relatively neutral, but liquid sound. we'll see. you can always add warmth to a source down the road, but you can't ever take it back. there's also potential to upgrade the DAC or the output amp down the road with the schiit, but if it's as good as it's rep, i think i'd be happy with that as my "last DAC". a class D amp that leans towards SET sound is a nice way to get a liquid sound. at the amplifier end of the chain is the best place to warm a source tape signal i thought i'd read.post #731 of 10321/22/13 at 6:16amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by budget minded
the less romantic and similarly priced made in the US (really?) schiit gungnir sounds like it's more to my speed and detail preferences and paired with an in between solid state and tube TBI millenium amp, i'd expect a relatively neutral, but liquid sound. we'll see. you can always add warmth to a source down the road, but you can't ever take it back. there's also potential to upgrade the DAC or the output amp down the road with the schiit, but if it's as good as it's rep, i think i'd be happy with that as my "last DAC". a class D amp that leans towards SET sound is a nice way to get a liquid sound. at the amplifier end of the chain is the best place to warm a source tape signal i thought i'd read.
It sort of depends. I find that a warm amp gives a different result than a warm DAC, even though we describe both with the same word. I have yet to experience Gungnir so I can't say how it compares with the D18. I did finally hear the Bifrost which I found good but not amazing at the price. And I also heard Mjolnir which was very impressive. I still think I like the Yulong A18 better but it's extremely close with each having their own character.post #732 of 10321/23/13 at 10:44ampost #733 of 10321/23/13 at 12:42pm
I have both the Bifrost and the D18 and definitely think the Yulong is a step up. Not to mention if you need balanced, there's no question. Haven't heard the Schiit midrange gear yet.
Reliability: For me, no problems since I got it.post #734 of 10321/23/13 at 12:53pm
I haven't heard or read about any specific reliability issues for the Yulong D100 or D18. My D18 definitely appeared to have very tight build quality and it sure didn't seem like it would be likely to have problems.
I purchased mine through Grant Fidelity, which provides US based sales support, customer service, and warranty followup. Rachel at Grant Fidelity is awesome for customer service. To me, I view this type of arrangement with solid US based support night and day differently than ordering direct from China and hoping for the best.
This is just my experience and perceptions though.
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 4 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 8 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016) 57 seconds ago
- › Oriolus Hybrid IEM 1 minute ago
- › Black Ravioli Big Feet 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › How to grow? 4 minutes ago
- › FS Doodlebug USB signal isolator and dedicated USB power supply 4 minutes ago
- › Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear