- 6,464 Posts. Joined 2/2007
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productMatrix Quattro Dactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productweiss audio DAC202tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/2/12
- productYulong Sabre D18tagged by System, 6/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? Last post on 4/29/16 at 5:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 12/22/15 at 10:14pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Balanced DACs $600 - $1600, the segment explodes Last post on 8/8/13 at 11:13pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/30/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out Meze's entry level product, the 11 Neo. Morpheus would be so proud. While they've been around for a while now Meze really found their stride...
Hifiman MegaMini Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Hifiman and Campfire Audio Vega Hifiman MegaMini...
I recently received the JLab Epic2 Bluetooth headphones for review. Some of the new features of the Epic2 are the upgrade from ipx4 to ipx5 to improve resistance to sweat and water. They have...
It would of gotten a 5 star rating, if it wasn't so expensive. So I got to listen to the MOJO yesterday through the JVC SZ1000. Total different animal of an amp. Nice clean subbass, while...
BRAVO ERIB-2A EARPHONE PLANAR UNIVERSAL IN-EAR MONITOR TAKES LISTENING TO THE NEXT LEVEL. oBravo is a company founded in 2006 and located in Taiwan have made air-motion technology a...
Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 35post #511 of 10329/18/12 at 2:56pmThread StarterWell, good thing it isn't really available for us public folks to buy then....
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 10329/18/12 at 3:14pmQuote:
Now this interest me. Will this be available to the public?post #513 of 10329/18/12 at 3:27pmThread StarterSupposedly not. They were meant to be like concept cars, which demonstrate the capabilities of the maker but don't really end up being directly available. But we will see. I'm tempted to ask about them anyway, but that could get pretty expensive.... And since I already have the D18/A18 combo, it doesn't t make that much sense.post #514 of 10329/18/12 at 3:29pmpost #515 of 10329/18/12 at 4:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by project86
Supposedly not. They were meant to be like concept cars, which demonstrate the capabilities of the maker but don't really end up being directly available. But we will see. I'm tempted to ask about them anyway, but that could get pretty expensive.... And since I already have the D18/A18 combo, it doesn't t make that much sense.
IN my uneducated opinion, I think he hasn't gone balance because there is no benefit in his design (I know a lot of people don't believe in balanced gear) unlike some of AudioGD's top end stuff which goes balanced for reasons other then just making money (remember reading it, don't remember the actual reason.)post #516 of 10329/19/12 at 6:23ampost #517 of 10329/19/12 at 9:54amThread Starterpost #518 of 10329/19/12 at 2:59pm
It all seems like poor marketing to me, to release a ''top of the line" product then turn around shortly after and say now I have built a better one and then to top it all he says you can't have one.post #519 of 10329/19/12 at 4:05pmThread StarterThat's one way of looking at it. I think the idea is to build up a knowledge base - taking the experience from the A100 and D100 units, and build upon that to create the A18 and D18 models. From there they have sort of hit the maximum with the exception of these demo units. If they sell stuff like the A8 and D8, they would need to reevaluate their position in the market, beause they would no longer be the same bang for the buck type of brand any longer.
But I can see how someone might take issue with this approach. Same thing happens with Audio GD, on a regular basis.post #520 of 10329/19/12 at 4:47pmpost #521 of 10329/19/12 at 8:48pm
In terms of balanced dac is this pretty much the only one along with the Schiit offerings in this price range that is ss at this level? I've been looking at balanced dacs and cant really find too many at under 1k that would be worth getting.
Edited by rawrster - 9/19/12 at 9:02pmpost #522 of 10329/20/12 at 12:06amThread StarterThere's the Matrix Quattro DAC, essentially a Benchmark DAC 1 Pre, for $699. It isn't really in the same league as the D18 in terms of SQ, but it has a ton of features. Probably the same story with the DacMagic 2 as well.post #523 of 10329/20/12 at 8:40am
I'm using my D18 as the front end in my new Stax system and I can tell you it is a great match with Stax headphones. Really loads of detail and liquid mid-range. I think it scales up very well and now I can use the D18 fully balanced out with the Stax amp. Best compliment I can give any equipment is that I would buy the D18 again if I had it to do over. It is a flat out bargain.post #524 of 10329/20/12 at 12:44pm
Here comes the official answer about availability of Yulong A8 Fully Balanced headphone amp, and Yulong D8 Ultra D/A converter:
I talked with Yulong himself about these models - they are statement models to demonstrate the quality level that Yulong design can offer when cost is not a factor to consider. Right now both A8 and D8 are still in design/engineering stage - D8 is behind A8 on the design schedule. A8 has first run engineering sample units made already but no where near the final version yet. D8 is still at circuit board stage. Because of high production cost, the retail price on both D8 and A8 models will be well above A18 and D18; but in Yulong's own words "they are priced above the entry level non-Chinese imported DAC models in the Chinese market, however the performance to price ratio is much higher when you compare them to the same quality level (China) imported brands". (FYI, non-Chinese brand name DACs are being sold in China at exactly the same retail price as in North America, so you can tell that affordability of these brands is not as friendly as domestic brands such as Yulong).
A8 and D8 will be available for worldwide resellers to demonstrate Yulong quality and design strength. They weren't developed for the purpose of reselling for profit. At current stage, each models are available for pre-order but delivery time will be in 2013 (no exact month - Yulong aim for the highest desired quality so there could be delay in delivery date).
Now comes the most important question - how much? No firm answer from Yulong as with design change, the price will change due to cost changes. But for sure they will be above D18 and A18. Rumor says that A8 (fully balanced headphone amp) will be approx to $1600-1800. D8 price bench mark not disclosed yet - but from D18 / A18 price ratio, I expect D8 will be less than the A8.
Want one even when Yulong said these are not for public sale? Here is what Grant Fidelity (as official agent for Yulong Audio in North America with worldwide reselling rights) can do for those aiming for nothing less than the best: (this may change due to circumstance changes so check on the Yulong Audio Facebook page for future updates: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yulong-Audio/326982077398065?ref=hl)
See pre-order arrangement at the Head-fi sponsor ad section: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628317/yulong-a8-and-d8-pre-order-invitation-order-by-oct-31st-only
Rachel @ Grant Fidelitypost #525 of 10329/20/12 at 12:46pmQuote:
It seems there's a void here but understandable void since I would imagine there would be compromises for a balanced dac at this price range. Would you say at this price range the Yulong is the best balanced dac disregarding the signature of the dac? I was looking at the quattro dac but not sure about that as well as the digital link iii from ps audio or of course the new schiit dac but not sure about their dacs yet.
Also the D8 and A8 may be available. I just saws a thread from grant fidelity the north america seller: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628317/yulong-a8-and-d8-pre-order-invitation-order-by-oct-31st-only
Edited by rawrster - 9/20/12 at 1:49pm
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Lets Talk Metal 50 seconds ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 56 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › New HTC 10--Audio Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › Introducing SERA by Vibro Labs 6 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 8 minutes ago
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by ExpatinJapan
- › JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED... by red71rum
- › Chord MoJo by snellemin
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Frank I
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by UncleGamer
- › HyperX Cloud Revolver Multi-platform E-Sports Gaming Wire Headset... by UncleGamer
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by HiFiChris
- › Vibro Labs Sera triple armature in-ear monitors by sq3rjick
- › Meze 12 Classics by Mightygrey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear