Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) - Page 68

post #1006 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandab View Post
 

FYI - the D18 is now up on m....rop with the lowest price at $560.

I think it's a steal at that price! I have compared mine to many dacs and could never find anything under $1500 that I could say was better (I listen mostly to classical). Of course, you have to add the expense of a good usb converter but still, it is a bargain.

 

P.S. It was called to my attention that comments about this seller are not allowed. You can take my comment about the value of the D18 regardless of who is selling it. I understand it is being discontinued so discounts around the web on remaining stock are not surprising. In the $500-$600 price range the D18 would be a great value and hard to beat at twice the price.


Edited by Chodi - 9/1/14 at 10:58pm
post #1007 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post
 

I think it's a steal at that price! I have compared mine to many dacs and could never find anything under $1500 that I could say was better (I listen mostly to classical). Of course, you have to add the expense of a good usb converter but still, it is a bargain.

 

P.S. It was called to my attention that comments about this seller are not allowed. You can take my comment about the value of the D18 regardless of who is selling it. I understand it is being discontinued so discounts around the web on remaining stock are not surprising. In the $500-$600 price range the D18 would be a great value and hard to beat at twice the price.

 

Chodi,

 

What do you use for a USB converter?  Thanks.

 

HS

post #1008 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiSam View Post
 

 

Chodi,

 

What do you use for a USB converter?  Thanks.

 

HS

Gustard U10 I bought from Vintage Audio Lab Taiwan. I had a Hiface 2 I used for some time but the Gustard is far better. This Gustard company is from mainland China and they are statring to get some positive comments about their dac's and headphone amps as well as the usb converter. 

post #1009 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post
 

Gustard U10 I bought from Vintage Audio Lab Taiwan. I had a Hiface 2 I used for some time but the Gustard is far better. This Gustard company is from mainland China and they are statring to get some positive comments about their dac's and headphone amps as well as the usb converter. 

 

Thanks for sharing, Chodi!

 

 

:biggrin:

 

HS

post #1010 of 1016
Cab anyone tell me, if I used a passive preamplifier, could I run a subwoofer out of the rca outputs on the d18 and run the xlr out to my amplifier? Would it compromise the sound at all?
post #1011 of 1016

Regarding the question of whether the D18 is reliable, mine is over two years old and is as good as the day I bought it. Just be sure to use high-quality coax and optical cables, because crap ones will result in weird clicking sounds, which I believe is the result of jitter. Use cables that do the D18 justice and you will only hear clean, sweet heaven.

post #1012 of 1016

I can also vouch for the reliability of the D18. I've owned mine for about two years now and bought it from another headfier. I've never had any issues with it. The build quality seems to be of a high standard both inside and out.

post #1013 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryfan View Post

Cab anyone tell me, if I used a passive preamplifier, could I run a subwoofer out of the rca outputs on the d18 and run the xlr out to my amplifier? Would it compromise the sound at all?

I love that the D18 has two outputs, though they are fixed.  I send the XLRs into an integrated tube amp and the RCAs into a big boy system, so it's easy to switch systems without pulling wires.

 

The SVS sub I had last had a variable pass through so if I wanted I could run the DAC's RCA outs into the sub first and then it's variable output could continue into my main amp.

 

The Gustard that Chodi suggested is also gifted with multiple functioning outputs so you can connect multiple DACs (AES,Coax,I2S,opt) to it and A/B/C'ing is just a matter of switching inputs on your preamp.  Comparing USB transports (or USB dacs) is much more painful because you have to stop your player and switch output devices in your software.

 

What I was doing for a while was connecting the Gustard to the D18 with both an AES and coax, and I would throw the switch on the D18 to make an instant comparison of cables.

 

The D18 was very critical of it's SPDIF signal -- for instance it refused to accept optical from my TV which I though was funny.

post #1014 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnytsky View Post

 

The D18 was very critical of it's SPDIF signal -- for instance it refused to accept optical from my TV which I though was funny.

 

Agreed. It is very critical of optical. I finally got a QED optical cable that it wasn't too upset with. I wish it had two coax inputs and no optical at all, actually. For some reason, Toslink is a poor option as an audiophile channel, and not just with the Yulong.

post #1015 of 1016

bridging your media player to your DAC via optical or wifi has the one benefit of isolated circuits which should mitigate the effects of a discharge.  I think those issues are behind me, but the real test will be the dry winter air.

 

I've never used the XLR=>RCA adapters, but that would give your 2nd coax input.  What USB transport are you using that doesn't have AES?

post #1016 of 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnytsky View Post

 

I've never used the XLR=>RCA adapters, but that would give your 2nd coax input.  What USB transport are you using that doesn't have AES?

I don't use a USB transport at all. I feed the Yulong with a networked media streamer via coax and a bluray player via optical.  The DAC does duty in my main system.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)