Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge - Page 3855

post #57811 of 134614

How this thread makes me feel right now:

 

 

 

I like pretty things that sound nice and don't really care about what other people do with their money. Or what internet hate they spew at my preferences. 

post #57812 of 134614

Oh cool. I just found an engraving shop that's pretty close to my house. Now I wonder what's his price...

post #57813 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0o0o View Post

How this thread makes me feel right now:

 

 

 

I like pretty things that sound nice and don't really care about what other people do with their money. Or what internet hate they spew at my preferences. 


LOL.

 

This. but what I do mind is pseudo-science.

(Then again.... a good chunk of the people in the world is into religion.......)

post #57814 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

Oh cool. I just found an engraving shop that's pretty close to my house. Now I wonder what's his price...


lemme guess.... $30 to engrave that panel. biggrin.gif

Tell me when you got a quote~

post #57815 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 View Post


lemme guess.... $30 to engrave that panel. biggrin.gif

Tell me when you got a quote~

 

I'll ask when I get my P-H. All engraving should be the same right? As in the black panel, when engraved, the art's lines becomes white?

post #57816 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

 

I'll ask when I get my P-H. All engraving should be the same right? As in the black panel, when engraved, the art's lines becomes white?


it should be the same.

post #57817 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 View Post


it should be the same.

 

I wish I could reverse it. Making the lines black. But since the panel is black, nothing I could do. Why do wish for that? Because white lines look like negative films

post #57818 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

 

I wish I could reverse it. Making the lines black. But since the panel is black, nothing I could do. Why do wish for that? Because white lines look like negative films

LOL!

 

but then you have to clean white cases or they turn gray....

 

Tell you what, you can engrave the entire panel but the pattern you want.

post #57819 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 View Post


To be completely honest, I find it contradictory how you acknowledge bias at work and yet thinks the difference between amplifiers is significant.

It's beyond me. confused.gif

 

 

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Did I say anyone was biased? I said bias works both ways, that it's often not just people who spent a lot of money trying to hear things that aren't there, but also people who don't want to hear differences. I'm actually willing to acknowledge both sides of the argument, which has been going on for quite a while now and is by no means cut and dry as you seem to think.

 

I also don't get the "if amp designers you're talking about spoke their minds they'd be out of the job" comment from Joe either. How does disagreeing with the assertions that all amps sound the same and that amp design can be reduced down to a few parameters mean there's nothing left to engineer? If anything the opposite is true. It's not like these other designers *don't* measure their work. If you'd like to talk to some of those designers and DIYers, feel free. Co to Changstar and have a go. You might learn something. Just don't come in thinking you know it all because you'll be shown the door.

 

Listen to some gear from Leben and then tell me if all amps sound the same. Or hell, listen to an Asgard which is warmer than most tube amps. Honestly, the "all amps sound the same" argument is confused and self-defeating and goes beyond what most reasonable objectivists even assert. It's not something even "his holiness" NwAv asserted. What they do tend to say is that coloration is bad and that you're paying a lot of money for distortion. To that I say fair enough. I disagree, but at least that argument makes sense.

 

The O2 has good clarity and very little distortion. It's not the end word in resolution by any means however, even in its price bracket, regardless of what you might think based on the THD measurements. The Leckerton UHA-6S will out resolve it.

 

The entire reason why I brought up the "kool aid" thing in the first place is because I just see the same arguments over and over. Picking a fight with AMB seemed left field, and it's something NwAv did so you see his minions repeating it over and over with little to no experience of their own. Same with Schiit. So long as you've actually compared the two yourself, then fair enough, though I happen to disagree with the conclusions. It could be that I'm just biased and want to justify my spending money on expensive stuff, sure.

 

Edit:

 

Also reading your brief snipe at religion, I have to say, you're a little too predictable here. Religion is a complex and fascinating phenomena and not simply a synonym for "not science." It's ironic you should bring up religion in this light, what I assume to be the more dogmatic portion of it, because that's precisely what hardcore objectivists do. NwAv's followers are, essentially, a religious order. To say something can be reduced down to schematics and explained entirely through scientific means is an operative assumption, one that actually isn't supported by science itself. It's something one has to initially accept moving forward, an paradigm one has to adopt from the outset. Plenty of scientists don't dismiss religion. Similarly, plenty of amp designers don't dismiss what can't be measured. To fall into either camp is to fall victim to fundamentalism in my opinion. Either way, I've lost interest in this subject, so I wont derail the thread any further with it. I can see now that no good can come of it.

post #57820 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

 

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Did I say anyone was biased? I said bias works both ways, that it's often not just people who spent a lot of money trying to hear things that aren't there, but also people who don't want to hear differences. I'm actually willing to acknowledge both sides of the argument, which has been going on for quite a while now and is by no means cut and dry as you seem to think.

 

I also don't get the "if amp designers you're talking about spoke their minds they'd be out of the job" comment from Joe either. How does disagreeing with the assertions that all amps sound the same and that amp design can be reduced down to a few parameters mean there's nothing left to engineer? If anything the opposite is true. It's not like these other designers *don't* measure their work. If you'd like to talk to some of those designers and DIYers, feel free. Co to Changstar and have a go. You might learn something. Just don't come in thinking you know it all because you'll be shown the door.

 

Listen to some gear from Leben and then tell me if all amps sound the same. Or hell, listen to an Asgard which is warmer than most tube amps. Honestly, the "all amps sound the same" argument is confused and self-defeating and goes beyond what most reasonable objectivists even assert. It's not something even "his holiness" NwAv asserted. What they do tend to say is that coloration is bad and that you're paying a lot of money for distortion. To that I say fair enough. I disagree, but at least that argument makes sense.

 

The O2 has good clarity and very little distortion. It's not the end word in resolution by any means however, even in its price bracket, regardless of what you might think based on the THD measurements. The Leckerton UHA-6S will out resolve it.

 

The entire reason why I brought up the "kool aid" thing in the first place is because I just see the same arguments over and over. Picking a fight with AMB seemed left field, and it's something NwAv did so you see his minions repeating it over and over with little to no experience of their own. Same with Schiit. So long as you've actually compared the two yourself, then fair enough, though I happen to disagree with the conclusions. It could be that I'm just biased and want to justify my spending money on expensive stuff, sure.


Ok I guess I should just make my point clear here:

All I'm saying is that the difference between amps is negligible compared to what cognitive bias can do to our sense of hearing and the tuning we can do with DSP.

In science, negligible factors can be ignored. I never said all amps sound the same.

 

Also, my reason for picking a fight with AMB Labs has nothing to do with sound quality.

I'm saying that they're using a high amount of discrete electronic components to achieve the exact same thing an integrated component can do, rising the cost.

And then progressing to say it's "better". That's what I'm mad about.

post #57821 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 View Post

LOL!

 

but then you have to clean white cases or they turn gray....

 

Tell you what, you can engrave the entire panel but the pattern you want.

 

Great idea! Not sure if it's great for my wallet. The panel is black on both side is it?

post #57822 of 134614

Objectivism vs Subjectivism, a never ending war between two different ideology. There are no winner or loser here, just a lot of time wasted. frown.gif

 

Anyway, just bought myself an overkill kind of USB drive.

Corsair Survivor Stealth 32GB 3.0 USB Drive. Oh yeah.

 

 

This will replace my Lacie Xtreme Key which is actually more extreme than the Survivor (it's heavier, it's actually made from a blend of copper and aluminium, it's sturdier and the shell is a lot thicker). The problem with the Lacie Xtreme key is that it has 2 critical flaws. First of all, like the Corsair, it has a similar design but it's much heavier on the end of the USB drive which when plugged in puts a lot of stress on the USB connector, eventually it will develop a fault which did happen to mine. The second flaw is that if a dent ever shows up where the shell screws on with the flash drive, it's pretty much over because you will never be able to open it again.

The Corsair though is as strong as the Lacie but being lighter and overall... sexier, it's just a win flash drive.

post #57823 of 134614

@Vortex

 

Dang, that looks like a TNT!

Now go blow some stuff up!

 

I can't wait for Kingston to release that 1TB flash drive. Now that is an overkill

post #57824 of 134614
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

@Vortex

 

Dang, that looks like a TNT!

Now go blow some stuff up!

 

I can't wait for Kingston to release that 1TB flash drive. Now that is an overkill

Looks more like a pipe bomb for me though. I think it might make some suspicious glances at an airport security check.

BTW 512GB is already overkill for a flash drive and look at that bloody cost man! Can't imagine how much a 1TB flash drive will cost. I much prefer a portable HDD than a 1TB flash drive. Granted the flash drive is a lot smaller than the HDD but imagine accidentally dropping your 1TB flash drive in a storm drain... It won't happen with a portable HDD.

post #57825 of 134614

Morning all.

 

Feels great to be able to listen to the O2's again, so easy to listen to, they're the steak sandwich of headphones.

 

Gonna catch up on Top Gear, yay.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge