or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge - Page 3277

post #49141 of 158507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Also no thoughts on my request for help?

I'm not one to recommend shounen to others, since that is one genre I hate probably even more than you hate SoL. I have extremely low tolerance for that, and to be honest, JoJo is already way too much in the shounen direction for me, and I would've dropped it if it weren't for your enthusiasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

@rikkub
Wait you asked me!!!!!???! -_- sorry

Im applying to:
GEORGIA institute of tech
Stevens institute of tech
WPI(worcester poly tech)
Virginia poly tech
University of mass amherst
University of conn storra
Central connectictut

That's a lot. I love the system of just applying to one uni and be 100% guaranteed you get in. Though of course I realize that that only works in smaller countries.

By the way, when I'm applying for me exchange to Japan next year, I also have to put a second choice on my list of universities. If I can't go to Kyoto, I plan to go to the US instead. Since you guys are probably way more knowledgeable about this than I am, which if the following would be good choices? Know that if I'm going to the US, I want to continue on with my current study, so the university has to offer 3rd year math courses.

I could also go to Europe or Asia, but when going to Asia language may be a problem, and I'd rather go a bit further off home than Europe.Though perhaps some Asian universities are actually a really good choice for English speakers, I don't know. Here's the full list.

Oh, and note that if your university is on that list, you can probably go to my uni on an exchange. It'll be fun. biggrin.gif
List of universities (Click to show)
Baylor University
Binghamton University - SUNY
University of California / Education Abroad Program (EAP) - 9 campuses
University of California - Berkeley
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Colorado School of Mines
Texas State University
University of Florida
University of Kansas
Kansas State University
University of Missouri-Kansas City
University of Nebraska at Kearney
University of Wyoming
University of Nebraska at Lincoln
University of Wisconsin (Madison)
University of New Hampshire
University of Oklahoma
Oklahoma State University
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Missouri University of Science and Technology
University of Missouri-St. Louis
Vanderbilt University
Washington University, St. Louis

Edited by Tilpo - 1/15/13 at 3:02am
post #49142 of 158507

@Rikkun

 

I DARE YOU TO TAKE A UNI IN THE TROPICAL WEATHER!

post #49143 of 158507

I got SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many animes to redownload (download a better quality/res), to catch up (finishing last season's and adding this season), rename and refile them, delete old and multiple files... and the list goes on and on... gonna be a busy night!

post #49144 of 158507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post


I'm not one to recommend shounen to others, since that is one genre I hate probably even more than you hate SoL. I have extremely low tolerance for that, and to be honest, JoJo is already way too much in the shounen direction for me, and I would've dropped it if it weren't for your enthusiasm.
That's a lot. I love the system of just applying to one uni and be 100% guaranteed you get in. Though of course I realize that that only works in smaller countries.

By the way, when I'm applying for me exchange to Japan next year, I also have to put a second choice on my list of universities. If I can't go to Kyoto, I plan to go to the US instead. Since you guys are probably way more knowledgeable about this than I am, which if the following would be good choices? Know that if I'm going to the US, I want to continue on with my current study, so the university has to offer 3rd year math courses.

I could also go to Europe or Asia, but when going to Asia language may be a problem, and I'd rather go a bit further off home than Europe.Though perhaps some Asian universities are actually a really good choice for English speakers, I don't know. Here's the full list.

Oh, and note that if your university is on that list, you can probably go to my uni on an exchange. It'll be fun. biggrin.gif
List of universities (Click to show)
Baylor University
Binghamton University - SUNY
University of California / Education Abroad Program (EAP) - 9 campuses
University of California - Berkeley
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Colorado School of Mines
Texas State University
University of Florida
University of Kansas
Kansas State University
University of Missouri-Kansas City
University of Nebraska at Kearney
University of Wyoming
University of Nebraska at Lincoln
University of Wisconsin (Madison)
University of New Hampshire
University of Oklahoma
Oklahoma State University
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Missouri University of Science and Technology
University of Missouri-St. Louis
Vanderbilt University
Washington University, St. Louis

Schools for language differ from "well known" schools which is a problem. Many of those there are popular but for other things so we need to keep in mind that not only do we need to focus on language and liber arts but on the Asian languages too.

 

http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-modern-languages

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/10-most-innovative-colleges-for-foreign-language-study/

 

And obviously, the top ivy league's top the list. Aim for state schools like Univ of _____ as Ivy league is very hard for even the best Americans to get into.

 

Conn college in my area and Amherst college are great liberal arts schools but not sure if they specialize in the languages.

post #49145 of 158507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Schools for language differ from "well known" schools which is a problem. Many of those there are popular but for other things so we need to keep in mind that not only do we need to focus on language and liber arts but on the Asian languages too.

http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-modern-languages
http://www.thebestcolleges.org/10-most-innovative-colleges-for-foreign-language-study/

And obviously, the top ivy league's top the list. Aim for state schools like Univ of _____ as Ivy league is very hard for even the best Americans to get into.

Conn college in my area and Amherst college are great liberal arts schools but not sure if they specialize in the languages.

Panda, learn to read.

I said that I want to study math if I go to the states.
post #49146 of 158507
Sorry frown.gif

General math? Any specific one or why? Getting a math degree here is usually a suplimment for maybe teaching, or science. Or sometimes engineering.

Our tuition are very very expensive. Are there no regional schools that fit?
post #49147 of 158507
@tilpo, I see. Glad to be brainwashing you with JJBA at least LOL. Oh and actually while it is shonen, it has less of the normal shonen blandness, like main characters dying abruptly, no prolonged fights, highly complex fights (as the series goes, some of them might blow your mind out), and the theme will get grimmer, to the point of maybe becoming seinen. Don't count on me much though, since the series is very long, and most of it kinds of mash together, so I'm really glad that there's an anime for it. Makes it easier to relive it all again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post


You're saying as if I'm not a Malay myself. But probably I have much more "tolerance"
What's is genre anyway?

Wait what? But your facebook... Oh well. The suggestion is fairly good too, so I guess I'll go with those for now. "What's is genre"?
post #49148 of 158507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Sorry frown.gif

General math? Any specific one or why? Getting a math degree here is usually a suplimment for maybe teaching, or science. Or sometimes engineering.

Our tuition are very very expensive. Are there no regional schools that fit?

#%!@$!

READ DAMMIT READ.


It's an exchange program = no tuition fees. It's also just for one semester, so it's not an entire degree.
I'm already doing a math degree (and a physics degree). If I go on an exchange I'd preferably continue studying that. So what I'm looking for would be a university that offers a math degree, because that would mean they probably offer subjects relevant to my current degree. A lot of universities should offer undergraduate math degrees; it's not that rare to study math.
post #49149 of 158507
Reading is apparently a treasured skill that is lacking to a lot of people lately. That and reading comprehension, sarcasm and a sense of humour.
post #49150 of 158507
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Reading is apparently a treasured skill that is lacking to a lot of people lately. That and reading comprehension, sarcasm and a sense of humour.

 

I'll drink to that.

 

I'm bored schiitless again, what do?

post #49151 of 158507
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post

I'll drink to that.

I'm bored schiitless again, what do?

Same here.

I'm personally waiting for my food to finish. I want to study, but I can't because I'm too hungry to enter my complete concentration mode.
post #49152 of 158507
I guess I'll make an attempt at reading SZS raw. (got some high quality scans the other day)
post #49153 of 158507
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I'm personally waiting for my food to finish. I want to study, but I can't because I'm too hungry to enter my complete concentration mode.

 

I'm kind of hungry now, I think I'll prepare a steak.

post #49154 of 158507
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post


I'll drink to that.

I'm bored schiitless again, what do?
Maybe you can help me give a few suggestions based on this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge/49125#post_9057505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I guess I'll make an attempt at reading SZS raw. (got some high quality scans the other day)

GLHF.
post #49155 of 158507
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Maybe you can help me give a few suggestions based on this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge/49125#post_9057505

 

I'd go with FMA brohood and Angel Beats.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge