Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge - Page 2888

post #43306 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

Is it time for Panda-sama to go to uni?

 

Meanwhile, I'm feeling depressed and seriously considering the possibility of dropping out of uni after ~4 years. Recently it's been hitting me hard (though I've always known it to some degree) just how stifling, trapped, and utterly oppressed academia and the current education system is. There is little to no free thought or creativity, just convention and mindless thought and action based on primitive beliefs, romantic fervor, and taking current outrageously violent and obsolete socio-political-economic-cultural conditions for granted as intrinsic states of nature. This is not a good environment for learning or science. If you try to do or say anything a little too intelligent or actually be an honest and open person, you are in need of "advisement," ostracized, or marked a failure. No one gives a flying frak about actually educating anyone. Almost no one has the ability to see things in any way other than that in which they've been told to see them. Almost no one really cares about using their knowledge and technology to actually solve problems, or trying to make the world a better place for everyone on this planet. 

 

It sickens me that pretty much everyone both attending and working at schools thinks the point of it all is to "go to school for the sole purpose of getting a "job" making someone else rich, get married and buy a house and car(s), buy stuff you don't need to impress people you don't like meanwhile people are starving and being killed everyday, have zero freedom and be in constant debt, have and raise kids which will probably end up being equally as oblivious as you because you have no idea how to educate them, die. " And you call that "success?" Well I don't want success!

 

And honestly, a degree in music doesn't get you Schiit. What's the point? Especially since I'd just end up being several thousand dollars in debt afterwards? Working in the music scene/industry doesn't require any degrees anyway. While I probably would learn plenty of useful things at school, it's nothing I can't learn elsewhere.

 

tl;dr. Sorry for the spontaneous rant. All I can say is: Don't let school interfere with your education. Gonna continue a little Toradora now and then off to bed...

post #43307 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

Meanwhile, I'm feeling depressed and seriously considering the possibility of dropping out of uni after ~4 years. Recently it's been hitting me hard (though I've always known it to some degree) just how stifling, trapped, and utterly oppressed academia and the current education system is. There is little to no free thought or creativity, just convention and mindless thought and action based on primitive beliefs, romantic fervor, and taking current outrageously violent and obsolete socio-political-economic-cultural conditions for granted as intrinsic states of nature. This is not a good environment for learning or science. If you try to do or say anything a little too intelligent or actually be an honest and open person, you are in need of "advisement," ostracized, or marked a failure. No one gives a flying frak about actually educating anyone. Almost no one has the ability to see things in any way other than that in which they've been told to see them. Almost no one really cares about using their knowledge and technology to actually solve problems, or trying to make the world a better place for everyone on this planet. 

It sickens me that pretty much everyone both attending and working at schools thinks the point of it all is to "go to school for the sole purpose of getting a "job" making someone else rich, get married and buy a house and car(s), buy stuff you don't need to impress people you don't like meanwhile people are starving and being killed everyday, have zero freedom and be in constant debt, have and raise kids which will probably end up being equally as oblivious as you because you have no idea how to educate them, die. " And you call that "success?" Well I don't want success!

And honestly, a degree in music doesn't get you Schiit. What's the point? Especially since I'd just end up being several thousand dollars in debt afterwards? Working in the music scene/industry doesn't require any degrees anyway. While I probably would learn plenty of useful things at school, it's nothing I can't learn elsewhere.

tl;dr. Sorry for the spontaneous rant. All I can say is: Don't let school interfere with your education. Gonna continue a little Toradora now and then off to bed...

Truth and nothing but the truth

You could study on your own and also hire a tutor or whatever (is there any college level tutors there btw?). You can freely do what you want with what you have afterwards. Though, there is a higher risk of unemployment since your employer do want proof of how "smart" you are. Unless you wanna start a business and know what to do with it, I'd say stick to achieve a "successful" life
post #43308 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

 

Meanwhile, I'm feeling depressed and seriously considering the possibility of dropping out of uni after ~4 years. Recently it's been hitting me hard (though I've always known it to some degree) just how stifling, trapped, and utterly oppressed academia and the current education system is. There is little to no free thought or creativity, just convention and mindless thought and action based on primitive beliefs, romantic fervor, and taking current outrageously violent and obsolete socio-political-economic-cultural conditions for granted as intrinsic states of nature. This is not a good environment for learning or science. If you try to do or say anything a little too intelligent or actually be an honest and open person, you are in need of "advisement," ostracized, or marked a failure. No one gives a flying frak about actually educating anyone. Almost no one has the ability to see things in any way other than that in which they've been told to see them. Almost no one really cares about using their knowledge and technology to actually solve problems, or trying to make the world a better place for everyone on this planet. 

 

It sickens me that pretty much everyone both attending and working at schools thinks the point of it all is to "go to school for the sole purpose of getting a "job" making someone else rich, get married and buy a house and car(s), buy stuff you don't need to impress people you don't like meanwhile people are starving and being killed everyday, have zero freedom and be in constant debt, have and raise kids which will probably end up being equally as oblivious as you because you have no idea how to educate them, die. " And you call that "success?" Well I don't want success!

 

And honestly, a degree in music doesn't get you Schiit. What's the point? Especially since I'd just end up being several thousand dollars in debt afterwards? Working in the music scene/industry doesn't require any degrees anyway. While I probably would learn plenty of useful things at school, it's nothing I can't learn elsewhere.

 

tl;dr. Sorry for the spontaneous rant. All I can say is: Don't let school interfere with your education. Gonna continue a little Toradora now and then off to bed...

4 years? why haven't you graduated yet?

 

Yeah, the education system is stupid... but that's the way it works now.

 

I have a pretty good reason to go to college, that is, the privilege use their resources and facilities free of charge.

I don't give a damn about getting a degree or a job as long as I can have fun doing what I want to do.

I plan on doing post-grad studies just because I can keep using the college resources for my own projects. biggrin.gif

post #43309 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

Truth and nothing but the truth
You could study on your own and also hire a tutor or whatever (is there any college level tutors there btw?). You can freely do what you want with what you have afterwards. Though, there is a higher risk of unemployment since your employer do want proof of how "smart" you are. Unless you wanna start a business and know what to do with it, I'd say stick to achieve a "successful" life

 

I'm a music major, and really no one cares if you have a degree for music-related things if you're competent, so if I was going to pursue that type of thing anyway, I'm not super worried about it in that sense. If I can survive, I'd consider that success. I'm not an "ambitious" person.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 View Post

4 years? why haven't you graduated yet?

 

Who can graduate in 4 years nowadays? I'm looking at two more years minimum from now to get a bachelor's.

 

In any case, I've got another quarter ahead at least. Already payed for parts of it. After that...I've got some serious thinking to do. My parent's will probably flip out if I propose this idea to them, haha.

 

Oyasumi.

post #43310 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

 

I'm a music major, and really no one cares if you have a degree for music-related things if you're competent, so if I was going to pursue that type of thing anyway, I'm not super worried about it in that sense. If I can survive, I'd consider that success. I'm not an "ambitious" person.

 

 

Who can graduate in 4 years nowadays? I'm looking at two more years minimum from now to get a bachelor's.

 

In any case, I've got another quarter ahead at least. Already payed for parts of it. After that...I've got some serious thinking to do. My parent's will probably flip out if I propose this idea to them, haha.

 

Oyasumi.

What...? Music??? W-Why??????

What do you plan on doing?

 

Seriously??

Hm... everyone I've known so far graduated in either 3 or 4 years.....

Or maybe it's different for music?

 

oyasumi.

post #43311 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Holy flaming vampire balls on a 10-foot oxidized platinum pole, JoJo part 2 is SO ********* AWESOME, MERE WORDS IS INSUFFICIENT FOR IT! It's..... beyond divine glory. Anybody who loves shonen is missing sh't tons of pure unadulterated awesomenessesesesesesessess. Best shonen this year, every year, forever. Wish I could give a 12 rating on MAL because 10 is not enough.

I'm more excited that Tomokazu Sugita is voicing it though.

 

post #43312 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

I'm more excited that Tomokazu Sugita is voicing it though.

O.M.G. dat voice work nails it. I haven't watched a lot of anime that has him in it, but from whatever he is in (Nichibros as Hidenori, SZS as Ikkyu, for at least the memorable ones) he does good work. I just think this is the best. Tis going to be awesome, and they still haven't gone out of Warning: Here be Real True Spoiler! (Click to show)
NYC yet!! Just wait until the Nazi Super Science comes in!! And the return of Dio and his awesome voice and beautiful, sexy god-body! And the chariot race OMG!! Also like Speedwagon is to Jonathon, so is Smokey is to Joseph it seems. Too bad Speedwagon died as easily as that, and that's one of things that makes JoJo awesome: main characters can die just like that *snap fingers together*
Also it seems that they have taken a Western comic book look at some of the more climatic scenes, which I think is a great complement now that they are where they are. Now time to see how the OP is next week. Can't wait for how they play with the CG again, since the first OP animation is such sublime use of CG and soundtrack mash, especially the OP scene where the Scotland Yard officers shoot Dio wearing the stone mask. Ughh so fangasmically awesome.
post #43313 of 125220

Jojo really does bring up that hot-blooded manliness everyone needs.

post #43314 of 125220
@manveru
I know you like music but what did you plan on to do in the first place?

@borisu
That's either the uni they went was easy or they are just plain smart. I'm leaning to the latter
post #43315 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Jojo really does bring up that hot-blooded manliness everyone needs.

And does it better with less wangst, and more high quality whine. I mean Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
blasting the murderer of your great-uncle with the full load of a Tommy gun while crying manly tears? F yeah, that's how you avenge people while crying about it.
post #43316 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


And does it better with less wangst, and more high quality whine. I mean Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
blasting the murderer of your great-uncle with the full load of a Tommy gun while crying manly tears? F yeah, that's how you avenge people while crying about it.

Haha I do find that series hard to watch in a single sitting. I put it off until now to watch because of its artwork. I have to say that I dig it now tho.

 

It's pretty tiring to watch though.There's always so much tension. No time to rest. It's like listening to a really fatiguing IEM. You have to take it out and rest before you can put it back in to enjoy your music. This series definitely does not have a neutral/relaxed presentation. 

 

Too much manness to drink up in one sitting.

post #43317 of 125220
I took a very big step and changed my avatar to a non-Mio-wearing-K701 one, and nobody reacted.

。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphidz View Post

Heh, after IBDP?
College will be a walk in the park!

Engineering know to be hard??
Natural sciences / maths should be wayyy harder.

That's what all the IB teachers tell you son, but in truth it will just be the first half a year. The IB syllabus is larger than most other school systems', so it will undoubtedly cover some university theory. However, the advantage will only last for about half a year.
I agree with you that IB is a much better preparation for university than other school systems (like my local one, for example), but it's not some holy grail. It also does not have a heavier workload than university as some people claim. It's just that most people doing IB don't know how to plan ahead correctly, while in university most people DO learn that. It just seems as if IB has a high workload to most people, but it really is not that bad at all as long as you keep breathing and just do the frigging work you're supposed to.

Engineering expects much more personal initiative and working hours than natural sciences and math do. For some the personal initiative part is very difficult, while for others the difficulty of the subject matter itself is what makes the natural sciences and math too difficult for some.
I don't have to do jack sh*t at home, but I do have to pay very good attention at lectures and make good notes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbee View Post

Check where the pocky is made. Glico actually gets their pocky made in many different countries and they all taste a little different.
North America probably only gets Japanese exports though.
And there are plenty of variety, the red box ones are just the original/standard ones.
Those fat looking ones are actually quite larger but you get 3 packs inside the regular sized box, with 3 sticks per pack.
It also says cocoa on top?

This Pocky is made in Japan. It has been bought in Japan and taken here by personal luggage in airplane.

One of them has two packs of 12, and the other (expensive looking) one has 4 packs of 6.

It says ココア仕上げ, or 'cocoa finish'.
It also has some scary looking string of kanji I can't decipher without the use of a radical dictionary (for which I am too lazy).
Here's a picture:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

This is Rikkun and Jgray's reaction however:

Reaction too... what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

In relation to what?

This
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Graph saying this:
Quote:
You guys will always be my friends

haha. I thought it nice but I don't know about you guys.

Wth?

For real dude, what do you even think of us? I honestly have no idea why we would react like you implied to that statement.
In fact, I truly feel offended. So here's a big f* you from me to you.

I love all of you guys, and I consider all of you close friends. I don't know where you got it in your head to think otherwise, Panda. Did you forget the fact that I was truly shocked and got depressed when Graphidz left for a while half a year ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

>get out of bed @ 1230
>JoJo ep. 10
>great half-Sunday confirmed

This.

Except Uchuu Kyoudai gets priority.
post #43318 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Haha I do find that series hard to watch in a single sitting. I put it off until now to watch because of its artwork. I have to say that I dig it now tho.

It's pretty tiring to watch though.There's always so much tension. No time to rest. It's like listening to a really fatiguing IEM. You have to take it out and rest before you can put it back in to enjoy your music. This series definitely does not have a neutral/relaxed presentation. 

Too much manness to drink up in one sitting.

Well considering it's a 20-odd years old manga, the first two arc isn't that beautiful to say the least. Almost everyone in the fandom agrees on it, and the consensus is that the art style that's currently in the anime took off is from Arc 3. I think watching this weekly is better than in one sitting, since that, IMO, can dilute the Awesome Quotient. And whenever I'll recommend JoJo, now I have something to point to, since the anime does the series great service, by animating it rather admirably (understatement IMO, but I'm trying to think a bit more neutral here LOL) and people wouldn't have to deal with too horrible of drawing and more of a different flavored very stylistic art style. I'm sure that I'm going to get the BD for the glorious decensor, but maybe I'll wait for the boxset rather than the periodic releases. But what I'm certain of is I'm going to get the song albums. Just have to save money for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I took a very big step and changed my avatar to a non-Mio-wearing-K701 one, and nobody reacted.

。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。

Wth?

For real dude, what do you even think of us? I honestly have no idea why we would react like you implied to that statement.
In fact, I truly feel offended. So here's a big f* you from me to you.

I love all of you guys, and I consider all of you close friends. I don't know where you got it in your head to think otherwise, Panda. Did you forget the fact that I was truly shocked and got depressed when Graphidz left for a while half a year ago?
This.

Except Uchuu Kyoudai gets priority.

I did, but only in passivity since it's kind of weird and wanted to look at it a bit more closely. But that's it. What's it supposed to be?
QFT. I didn't bother since I'm in no mood to entertain our pet panda at that time LOL.
Fine choice there, and it's a mountain to climb once it stops a bit so that I can catch up to it from the beginning. It'll be a PITA to archive it for later viewing though, since my 2TB extHD only has < 500GB left on it.
Edited by jgray91 - 12/9/12 at 3:27am
post #43319 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Haha I do find that series hard to watch in a single sitting. I put it off until now to watch because of its artwork. I have to say that I dig it now tho.

 

It's pretty tiring to watch though.There's always so much tension. No time to rest. It's like listening to a really fatiguing IEM. You have to take it out and rest before you can put it back in to enjoy your music. This series definitely does not have a neutral/relaxed presentation. 

 

Too much manness to drink up in one sitting.

 

The manga is even worst in terms of fatiguing art. Not the old-style aspect, just how chunky it is. I literally can't get pass the 200th chapter because it takes me forever to get through and process the art. Not to mention I have a 120+ queue of other stuff to read all opened up in other tabs. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

I took a very big step and changed my avatar to a non-Mio-wearing-K701 one, and nobody reacted.
。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。

 

It just reminds me of the fact that Tokyo Jihen broke up. Makes me mad. mad.gif

 

Quote:
That's what all the IB teachers tell you son, but in truth it will just be the first half a year. The IB syllabus is larger than most other school systems', so it will undoubtedly cover some university theory. However, the advantage will only last for about half a year.
I agree with you that IB is a much better preparation for university than other school systems (like my local one, for example), but it's not some holy grail. It also does not have a heavier workload than university as some people claim. It's just that most people doing IB don't know how to plan ahead correctly, while in university most people DO learn that. It just seems as if IB has a high workload to most people, but it really is not that bad at all as long as you keep breathing and just do the frigging work you're supposed to.

 

+100023145. Honestly, you don't even need IB for the preparing aspect. With some self-studying a few year beforehand, proper scheduling....The credit is nice though.

post #43320 of 125220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

I did, but only in passivity since it's kind of weird and wanted to look at it a bit more closely. But that's it. What's it supposed to be?

It's the album cover of my favorite album; Variety by Tokyo Jihen. (Japanese title: '娯楽 (バラエティ)')
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge