Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge - Page 204

post #3046 of 131076

It's noitaminA. I'll watch for that reason alone.

post #3047 of 131076

Just got back from reading Boichi's "Hotel" over lunch. Not bad, though I think I greatly preferred parts 1 and 4 over the rest.

(Part 1 = AI, part 4 = funny tuna story)

 

I like the fact that the manga is self-contained/ complete, instead of the aimlessness that plagues unfinished works. Would love something more character-driven though. Recommends?

post #3048 of 131076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post

It's noitaminA. I'll watch for that reason alone.

So you enjoyed Guilty Crown?
post #3049 of 131076

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

Just got back from reading Boichi's "Hotel" over lunch. Not bad, though I think I greatly preferred parts 1 and 4 over the rest.

(Part 1 = AI, part 4 = funny tuna story)

 

I like the fact that the manga is self-contained/ complete, instead of the aimlessness that plagues unfinished works. Would love something more character-driven though. Recommends?


Character-driven manga are much longer. The ones in "Hotel" are all one shots and they're pretty impressive for the story they tell in one chapter alone. I loved part 1 the most as well.

 

Character-driven...there are plenty of manga that are amazing in that regard. Any specific genres/length?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Meme View Post


So you enjoyed Guilty Crown?


No...but I'm still faithful that noitaminA can produce great anime like Honey and Clover, Nodame, Tatami Galaxy and all that. Sure, [C], BRS, No.6 and GC are all let downs but there were still much more positives than negatives.

 

post #3050 of 131076

FMA was fantastic, but I recognise it's hard to top. I quite enjoyed Kenshin, especially his OVA, although to the anime's plot (esp. the first part of the first arc) is super generic for that kind of martial arts-based anime. And I even liked Shadow Skill, shallow as it was, because of the brother-sister relationship the 2 main characters had. Rubbish action though.

 

As you can see, I'm quite partial to feudal Japan/medieval fantasy land as the setting. 

post #3051 of 131076

I see the manga you've tried are all very mainstream. I strongly recommend you try 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki. It's very character driven, and its plot is nothing less than fantastic. Go check it out. Another very good manga for feudal Japan is Vagabond. You should go read it even if it hasn't finished.

 

I realize that FMA is an amazing manga, but as for it being hard to top...that's questionable. It's not going to make my Top 10 favorite manga. Top 20, it will have a spot.


Edited by ImperialX - 3/26/12 at 10:46pm
post #3052 of 131076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post

I strongly recommend you try 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki.


Is it supposed to be "21st"? I couldn't find "20th Century Boys". I'm not looking at the...sequel, am I?

post #3053 of 131076

It's 20th. Find it on MangaReader. You can do this on they iPad app too.

 

http://www.mangareader.net/111/20th-century-boys.html

post #3054 of 131076

It's amazing how fast this thread goes on. When I woke up, bloody hell, 85 new posts.
Anyway,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

 

d9ec7d0110d450fc485e4245449592241324578206_full.jpg

 

and those earbuds..plz do not tell me where they got the real life inspiration for those..plz...

Yeah, tsk... If I were to make an anime or manga, I sure will not put any Beats products in it. I'll probably put Staxs, Beyers, Senns and the whole lot in it.

post #3055 of 131076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post

No...but I'm still faithful that noitaminA can produce great anime like Honey and Clover, Nodame, Tatami Galaxy and all that. Sure, [C], BRS, No.6 and GC are all let downs but there were still much more positives than negatives.

 



I'm quite surprised you said that No.6 is a let down. Sure it is only 12 episodes and not Eden of the East quality but when I saw it, there was charm in it. It was a very special anime that was very enjoyable to watch. Why did you think it was a let down?

post #3056 of 131076
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBlast View Post

I'm quite surprised you said that No.6 is a let down. Sure it is only 12 episodes and not Eden of the East quality but when I saw it, there was charm in it. It was a very special anime that was very enjoyable to watch. Why did you think it was a let down?


Well personally Eden of the East wasn't great either if you consider the movies, but here are a few points.

 

* Shion's change of heart was abrupt and I see no reason behind it.  This happened before, and it's happened again.
* A lot of things didn't make sense and just happened for the sake of the "plot."  i.e. who makes computers self-destruct when the main computer is destroyed (what if it just goes offline?)  Et cetera.

* fantasy got thrown in after 3/4 of the series have already passed.
* It turns out there's no point to the series at all.  It had no new ideas.  It's just another mediocre dystopia series.
* The resolution was just unintelligent.

 

Also, too much BL/Yaoi undertones. That's a biased point, but it's how it is for me.

 

 

post #3057 of 131076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post

It's 20th. Find it on MangaReader. You can do this on they iPad app too.

 

http://www.mangareader.net/111/20th-century-boys.html


 

Weird, but I really can't find 20th Century Boys on the Manga Storm app. Can't find Vagabond either. =\

 

 

[Edit: Scratch that. Now I can, after allowing location services on the app. Huh.]


Edited by Eric_C - 3/26/12 at 11:20pm
post #3058 of 131076

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

Weird, but I really can't find 20th Century Boys on the Manga Storm app. Can't find Vagabond either. =\


Have you updated your location? You need to do that to make sure you're not infringing copyright.

post #3059 of 131076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post


Well personally Eden of the East wasn't great either if you consider the movies, but here are a few points.

 

* Shion's change of heart was abrupt and I see no reason behind it.  This happened before, and it's happened again.
* A lot of things didn't make sense and just happened for the sake of the "plot."  i.e. who makes computers self-destruct when the main computer is destroyed (what if it just goes offline?)  Et cetera.

* fantasy got thrown in after 3/4 of the series have already passed.
* It turns out there's no point to the series at all.  It had no new ideas.  It's just another mediocre dystopia series.
* The resolution was just unintelligent.

 

Also, too much BL/Yaoi undertones. That's a biased point, but it's how it is for me.

 

 

 

Yeah ok, I have to agree in some of your points. Except for the fantasy bit, well I'm not going to argue about it. No.6 was for me a short but sweet series. It didn't leave a bitter taste to it. 

I actually didn't care on the BL/Yaoi moments in it but if you don't like it then so be it.

 

On another note, I shouldn't have read Junji Ito's horror mangas yesterday night. When I woke up, I felt very heavy.


Edited by VortexBlast - 3/26/12 at 11:45pm
post #3060 of 131076

Sure. It's not excruciatingly bad but I just wouldn't put it amongst noitaminA's best works such as Honey & Clover. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge