Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge - Page 7781

post #116701 of 130208

Just wanted to get this off my head so here goes. No spoilers ahead, so safe to read even for those that haven't seen it. 

 

 

It's been 3 years since it came out. Guilty Crown. That was the last AAA series that showed superior capability of being the next best thing. Now, there are a lot of shows in recent years that many have found to be good, and even masterpieces. Most of them, I dare say, were more AA indie pieces if I may put them into a category. AAA by my designation, is a series with a relatively high budget, generally action based premise, high visual quality, good OP/EDs and with much hype. 

 

Guilty Crown being one of those. 

 

But the problem lies there as well, that I can't help but be constantly reminded by how that golden egg of an anime failed so hard. It was literally THE anime I was awaiting. Hell, the first few episodes were phenomenal beyond speech. And the OST and Inori, OH GOD, brilliant stuff. 

 

And so here I am, 3 years later, listening to My Dearest, Departures and more from the OST and there in front of me, is the constant reminder of what the series could have been. 

 

The series sold well, no doubt about that. But its ranking wasn't anywhere in the top 3 for the budget spent on the series, and not to mention that its rankings slipped heavilly after the airing finished ( which is bad news). With such large backers, its no wonder that AAA anime have been a rare occurance lately when you consider its sales performance relative to others. Moe, ecchi and fan service anime cost way less to make, and sold comparably with some even over taking Guilty Crown constantly at every turn. 

 

2006 is often cited as the golden year of anime. It was the year in which the highest number of anime were airing AND the year with the most amount of original anime productions. Its slowly picking back up but nowadays, a lot of the action pieces on themes and plot have been replaced with fanservice, moe, and ecchi abound.

 

I really hope animes days aren't numbered for viewers that want something more, that want the Hollywood experience. But my hopes aren't high right now. 

 

Many AA+ (I can't consider them AAA) series that are action based are comming out and turning out to either be crappy in execution, or targeted towards teenagers or 30 year old Japanese men, OR towards more casual viewers. Captain Earth being an example of the later and Gargantia being the former. 

 

Can't a man get a nice action series once a while? Seriously. Please new mecha anime. Don't fail me this season. 

 


http://swabulous.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/guilty-crown/

 

This review is long as hell and awesome as hell. Seriously. 

 

 

I must agree that in the end, Dan Eagleman(WTF name) may have been the best character lol


Edited by bowei006 - 7/4/14 at 10:34pm
post #116702 of 130208
I'm not even comparing Glasslip to current animes, the execution is just appealing to me. Scene transition doesn't make sense, and the only vibe I got off it is that it's going to another teenage love/angst show.

Do agree with Guilty Crown. I didn't jump aboard the hype train when it was announced but 1st episode hooked me into following the series. Then it went the way of Valverave, downhill, crushing my dreams and expectations. The twist was exceedingly petty to me, silly and again, teenage angst. I do wish animes would stop using it as a scapegoat for overall plot, just because it worked for Code Geass doesn't mean they have to use it every damn time. Geezus
post #116703 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

I'm not even comparing Glasslip to current animes, the execution is just appealing to me. Scene transition doesn't make sense, and the only vibe I got off it is that it's going to another teenage love/angst show.

Do agree with Guilty Crown. I didn't jump aboard the hype train when it was announced but 1st episode hooked me into following the series. Then it went the way of Valverave, downhill, crushing my dreams and expectations. The twist was exceedingly petty to me, silly and again, teenage angst. I do wish animes would stop using it as a scapegoat for overall plot, just because it worked for Code Geass doesn't mean they have to use it every damn time. Geezus
Quote:
 the only vibe I got off it is that it's going to another teenage love/angst show.

Which I'm prefectly fine with. At worst, it's just another one of these shows. Thankfully, I have good tolerance for them. 

 

At best, it could be the next Ano Hana and I'll be crying at the end..... doubt it though.

 

 

It can't have gone Valvrave. Valvrave went FULL guilty Crown is what you mean haha. You can't go Valvrave because Valvrave is based on going full Guilty Crown. The chicken or the egg? Which came first? In this case so far, Guilty Crown

 

The review got it all right. Pretty much every character was shallow, didn't learn anything, AND every female was overtly sexualized for no apparent reason apart from fanservice in selling DVD/Blu Rays. 

 

 

Very few series have been able to top Code Geass in terms of twist and plot execution. The ones that have, were made 2006 and pre. One of them  being Legend of the Galactic Heros. Quite possibly the best anime ever created for those that like AAA anime. 

 

Seriously. That series, is one of the best series Anime has under its belt. 

post #116704 of 130208
I hate teenage angsty shows in Mecha or War animes. Drama is fine, but when it's something petty and seriously just non-consequential in the overall world, I really can't be arsed. Code Geass was ok as Lelouch was the reason for the war in the first place, and it's his personal agenda that moved the world. But the others are " Throw XX Mc into war, with random weapon" > "People die! Much Fheels!"

NOPE.gif
post #116705 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

I hate teenage angsty shows in Mecha or War animes. Drama is fine, but when it's something petty and seriously just non-consequential in the overall world, I really can't be arsed. Code Geass was ok as Lelouch was the reason for the war in the first place, and it's his personal agenda that moved the world. But the others are " Throw XX Mc into war, with random weapon" > "People die! Much Fheels!"

NOPE.gif

TLDR; Real men like Real Anime :tongue:

post #116706 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

TLDR; Real men like Real Anime tongue.gif

But I also like moe, and Clannad, and White Album2 (very well executed, imo), and MOE! I'm actually listening to Hanasuka Saikyou Legend Days as I type this

....What does that make me?
post #116707 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


But I also like moe, and Clannad, and White Album2 (very well executed, imo), and MOE! I'm actually listening to Hanasuka Saikyou Legend Days as I type this

....What does that make me?

But you haven't watched Precure yet!

 

*lurker disappears again*

post #116708 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


But I also like moe, and Clannad, and White Album2 (very well executed, imo), and MOE! I'm actually listening to Hanasuka Saikyou Legend Days as I type this

....What does that make me?

I'm on the same boat lol.

 

WA2 was a good anime, but I can't totally agree in it being executed fully well. HOWEVER, it did the best it could. Drama anime with triangles like that are hard to execute well from what I've seen, so it did the best it could. However despite that, there were still some points of randomn derpness to what was going on, and it was also slightly rushed at the end as it spent time to work on 'building' up the suspence. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXAce View Post
 

But you haven't watched Precure yet!

 

*lurker disappears again*

Oh no you don't!

post #116709 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXAce View Post

But you haven't watched Precure yet!

*lurker disappears again*

And I never will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I'm on the same boat lol.

WA2 was a good anime, but I can't totally agree in it being executed fully well. HOWEVER, it did the best it could. Drama anime with triangles like that are hard to execute well from what I've seen, so it did the best it could. However despite that, there were still some points of randomn derpness to what was going on, and it was also slightly rushed at the end as it spent time to work on 'building' up the suspence. 

Oh no you don't!

Agreed, show was one of those that had too much to fit in 12 episodes but not enough to fill 24 kinda thing, I do remember being a lot more inner monologue in the VN. What I meant was the scenes are well executed, Touma's inner turmoil, MC's guilt came through for me. That final scene at the airport was simple, but was very powerful in it's finality of the the 3's connection.
post #116710 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Am I the only one that enjoyed the first episode of Glasslip?

 

Many were saying that nothing happened and that it is nothing like Nagi no Asakura. 

 

I disagree, it set up the premise nicely, introduced characters and relationships, and even potential love interests and future issues. 

I like Glasslip, ep1 was interesting, currently my no1 new show.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXAce View Post
 

But you haven't watched Precure yet!

 

*lurker disappears again*

I watch Precure :D

post #116711 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

Huh, I just learned javascript last quarter, but nothing about any of the addons really, other than jQuery. Sounds pretty nifty though.

 

You should do an android port!

 

That's normal, node.js is pretty new stuff (relatively).

 

 

jQuery had been the main js library for quite some time but there are newer libraries that are better than jQuery IMO.

My web app mentioned before uses the YUI3 library instead of jQuery. (and yes, the naming played a small role in why I decided to use it.... :p )

https://yuilibrary.com/projects/yui3/

 

 

As for android port, while technically possible, I haven't developed a single thing on the platform and know nothing about it........

I'm not about to dig into how android works anytime soon nor do I really want to play VNs on my phone....

Maybe you can give it a shot?

 

Here's some hints from me:

1. The game uses the O2 engine which supports android https://developer.novelsphere.jp/doc/o2doc/ (yes, all docs are in japanese AFAIK)

2. The game is warped in node-webkit which is basically just node.js and google chrome combined, it does not have an android port. https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit

3. google chrome is already on android so there shouldn't be much problems there (I guess?)

4. node.js (and all its packages) are open source, you should be able to compile them for android.

 

There are 2 ways you can get the games running on your mobile device:

1. install linux on it, there are many pre-built distros for ARM.

2. port node-webkit to android.

Have fun~


Edited by b1o2r3i4s5 - 7/5/14 at 12:32am
post #116712 of 130208

lol @ DEADLINE COMPANY in the background there... wonder when the artist drew this :rolleyes:.

 

post #116713 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Am I the only one that enjoyed the first episode of Glasslip?

 

Many were saying that nothing happened and that it is nothing like Nagi no Asakura. 

 

I disagree, it set up the premise nicely, introduced characters and relationships, and even potential love interests and future issues. 

So much blushing! Too obvious :/
"David" was more annoying than entertaining.
The last scene was weird.
Stuff like this.
I'm sure it will get better in the next episodes.
 


Today is Aldnoah.Zero/Sailor Moon/SAOII-day!
Yup, that's a URL, Head-Fi :P


Edited by Tom Yum Goong - 7/5/14 at 2:08am
post #116714 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpo View Post

Also, I should regularly start practicing Japanese again.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickGlasses View Post

I'd still hit that.

😳
post #116715 of 130208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


'MERICA!
Here's my 3 AM snack for the Fourth of July (well it's the fifth right now but whatever). lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge