Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge - Page 7780

post #116686 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

To be fair, the potential to fry schiit more or less is gone a few days into use of a crap PSU, or any for that matter.

As long as you aren't overloading it, or putting a lot of load on it. 

The PSU isn't good, but it survived the 'test' weak for bad units. And Mechy's components aren't that bad last I checked for power draw. Should be around 400W on full load if even that. 


I went the cheap way and just bought a lot of those Cougar fans that were on sale. Obviously, they are decent fans with decent reviews for MSRP. But at $5, it's pretty much a no brainer if you don't have a lot of money and want some better stuff. 

Exactly, I'm glad it's working fine. But I wouldn't take the risk if it was a new unit, or a new rig for that matter. You can skimp on everything else, but never the PSU.


I used some Gentle Typhoons a friend was swapping out for some LED fans. Worked pretty well but I still liked Noctua's fans better.
post #116687 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


Exactly, I'm glad it's working fine. But I wouldn't take the risk if it was a new unit, or a new rig for that matter. You can skimp on everything else, but never the PSU.


I used some Gentle Typhoons a friend was swapping out for some LED fans. Worked pretty well but I still liked Noctua's fans better.

skimp and deal catching are two different things. Along with need. 

 

I don't ever, nor ever, FOR MY needs, will pay above $60 for a PSU. Mainly because you can find Seasonic Rebrands from name brand PSU companys that are also modular, and well trusted On sale for that amount very often. And most times at 850W or sub.

 

Such as the ANTEC that is on sale today.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7042606-antec-850w-hcg-850m-80-plus-bronze-modular-power-supply-60-after-35-rebate-free-shipping

 

HCG class from ANTEC based on a very good Seasonic platform, modular and 850W for $59.99.

 

 

Yeah, obviously if you have a choice, the Noctuas would be pretty dank. But considering I got 4 fans approaching the level of Noctua for the price of 3/4 of a Noctua fan. I'm happy

post #116688 of 149555
Thread Starter 

From what I've researched that's a CWT (Channel Well) unit. They made some great units (used in a few Corsair PSUs) but the one Mechy has is pure garbage.

post #116689 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
 

From what I've researched that's a CWT (Channel Well) unit. They made some great units (used in a few Corsair PSUs) but the one Mechy has is pure garbage.

Not pure pure garbage. It's still chugging along at the very least :rolleyes:

 

But I'd be hesitant throwing anything like above R9 280x in there considering he has a XEON, aftermarket cooler, multiple 12cm fans, and multiple HDD/SSDs in there.

 

The reviews noted that it isn't exactly capable of doing full load. :evil:

 

With a R9 280x, he should be sitting at around 400W on full load. Reviews seem to note it can do that. But who wants to mess with fate?

post #116690 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Not pure pure garbage. It's still chugging along at the very least rolleyes.gif

But I'd be hesitant throwing anything like above R9 280x in there considering he has a XEON, aftermarket cooler, multiple 12cm fans, and multiple HDD/SSDs in there.

The reviews noted that it isn't exactly capable of doing full load. evil_smiley.gif

With a R9 280x, he should be sitting at around 400W on full load. Reviews seem to note it can do that. But who wants to mess with fate?

He seems to be considering the deal on a AX6970 a day back, which has a minimum requirement of 550w. I think a PSU upgrade would be prudent
post #116691 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


He seems to be considering the deal on a AX6970 a day back, which has a minimum requirement of 550w. I think a PSU upgrade would be prudent

Minimum requirements are given out by manufactuers to be a fail safe for consumers that don't know any better. 

 

Mainly to assure that the PSU will be enough to handle it. Technically, a 450W PSU that is efficent and with good ripple signs at 100% load and even post, can handle the R9 280x with an i5 card etc at full load. 

 

But imagine you are AMD. The 450W PSU's that can do that. Are 1 in a million. Out of the tens of millions of 450W PSU's sold or used in the past (including those by OEMs, because understand, most that buy GPU's are using pre built systems and know they just need a new PSU is all.), most are crap. Now, give yourself an idea of a decently beefy rig the card will run on. This is to assure that your minimum requirement WON'T lie and get  you in trouble. Now imagine the rails and handling that GENERALLY PSU's of that amount can do.

 

While a 500W PSU can assuredy run rig X. How many can typically support the GPU based on the average amps a 500W PSU will normally produce at 12v? Well, with a market analysis of current PSU's. You just noticed that only less than half can do it.

 

(The above is all rhetorical)

 

So here we are at a cross roads in where AMD and Nvidia are commonly recommend upper mid tier GPUs to be used with at least 550-700W PSUs. To cover their butts, because the mass majority of people that use physical dedicated GPUs don't know jack. And those that buy PC parts to build themsleves mostly don't know jack as well. The people you see on OCN, Reddit PC lounges etc are the mass minority of the customers. 

 

 

Hence why, if you know your schiit, and understand how the PSU will handle your schiit. You are fine. 

 

For the most part, unless your PSU MSRP costs over $100, you are going to be buying the 'inflated' PSU numbers. Many people run 750W PSU's in rigs that could be using a 450W from a high end platform. Mainly because those PSU's are only ok PSU's. This isn't efficent, but it is fine to do. Buying inflated PSU's because they are cheaper than buying an efficent one to cover your rig. 

 

I personally, am doing that, and do that on most client builds. A $100 PSU just isn't worth it to most builds. Considering that most PSU's that are sold and bought retaily(as in not OEM came in a HP) are fine if they can last the few days. 

post #116692 of 149555

Am I the only one that enjoyed the first episode of Glasslip?

 

Many were saying that nothing happened and that it is nothing like Nagi no Asakura. 

 

I disagree, it set up the premise nicely, introduced characters and relationships, and even potential love interests and future issues. 

post #116693 of 149555

Just wanted to get this off my head so here goes. No spoilers ahead, so safe to read even for those that haven't seen it. 

 

 

It's been 3 years since it came out. Guilty Crown. That was the last AAA series that showed superior capability of being the next best thing. Now, there are a lot of shows in recent years that many have found to be good, and even masterpieces. Most of them, I dare say, were more AA indie pieces if I may put them into a category. AAA by my designation, is a series with a relatively high budget, generally action based premise, high visual quality, good OP/EDs and with much hype. 

 

Guilty Crown being one of those. 

 

But the problem lies there as well, that I can't help but be constantly reminded by how that golden egg of an anime failed so hard. It was literally THE anime I was awaiting. Hell, the first few episodes were phenomenal beyond speech. And the OST and Inori, OH GOD, brilliant stuff. 

 

And so here I am, 3 years later, listening to My Dearest, Departures and more from the OST and there in front of me, is the constant reminder of what the series could have been. 

 

The series sold well, no doubt about that. But its ranking wasn't anywhere in the top 3 for the budget spent on the series, and not to mention that its rankings slipped heavilly after the airing finished ( which is bad news). With such large backers, its no wonder that AAA anime have been a rare occurance lately when you consider its sales performance relative to others. Moe, ecchi and fan service anime cost way less to make, and sold comparably with some even over taking Guilty Crown constantly at every turn. 

 

2006 is often cited as the golden year of anime. It was the year in which the highest number of anime were airing AND the year with the most amount of original anime productions. Its slowly picking back up but nowadays, a lot of the action pieces on themes and plot have been replaced with fanservice, moe, and ecchi abound.

 

I really hope animes days aren't numbered for viewers that want something more, that want the Hollywood experience. But my hopes aren't high right now. 

 

Many AA+ (I can't consider them AAA) series that are action based are comming out and turning out to either be crappy in execution, or targeted towards teenagers or 30 year old Japanese men, OR towards more casual viewers. Captain Earth being an example of the later and Gargantia being the former. 

 

Can't a man get a nice action series once a while? Seriously. Please new mecha anime. Don't fail me this season. 

 


http://swabulous.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/guilty-crown/

 

This review is long as hell and awesome as hell. Seriously. 

 

 

I must agree that in the end, Dan Eagleman(WTF name) may have been the best character lol


Edited by bowei006 - 7/4/14 at 10:34pm
post #116694 of 149555
I'm not even comparing Glasslip to current animes, the execution is just appealing to me. Scene transition doesn't make sense, and the only vibe I got off it is that it's going to another teenage love/angst show.

Do agree with Guilty Crown. I didn't jump aboard the hype train when it was announced but 1st episode hooked me into following the series. Then it went the way of Valverave, downhill, crushing my dreams and expectations. The twist was exceedingly petty to me, silly and again, teenage angst. I do wish animes would stop using it as a scapegoat for overall plot, just because it worked for Code Geass doesn't mean they have to use it every damn time. Geezus
post #116695 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

I'm not even comparing Glasslip to current animes, the execution is just appealing to me. Scene transition doesn't make sense, and the only vibe I got off it is that it's going to another teenage love/angst show.

Do agree with Guilty Crown. I didn't jump aboard the hype train when it was announced but 1st episode hooked me into following the series. Then it went the way of Valverave, downhill, crushing my dreams and expectations. The twist was exceedingly petty to me, silly and again, teenage angst. I do wish animes would stop using it as a scapegoat for overall plot, just because it worked for Code Geass doesn't mean they have to use it every damn time. Geezus
Quote:
 the only vibe I got off it is that it's going to another teenage love/angst show.

Which I'm prefectly fine with. At worst, it's just another one of these shows. Thankfully, I have good tolerance for them. 

 

At best, it could be the next Ano Hana and I'll be crying at the end..... doubt it though.

 

 

It can't have gone Valvrave. Valvrave went FULL guilty Crown is what you mean haha. You can't go Valvrave because Valvrave is based on going full Guilty Crown. The chicken or the egg? Which came first? In this case so far, Guilty Crown

 

The review got it all right. Pretty much every character was shallow, didn't learn anything, AND every female was overtly sexualized for no apparent reason apart from fanservice in selling DVD/Blu Rays. 

 

 

Very few series have been able to top Code Geass in terms of twist and plot execution. The ones that have, were made 2006 and pre. One of them  being Legend of the Galactic Heros. Quite possibly the best anime ever created for those that like AAA anime. 

 

Seriously. That series, is one of the best series Anime has under its belt. 

post #116696 of 149555
I hate teenage angsty shows in Mecha or War animes. Drama is fine, but when it's something petty and seriously just non-consequential in the overall world, I really can't be arsed. Code Geass was ok as Lelouch was the reason for the war in the first place, and it's his personal agenda that moved the world. But the others are " Throw XX Mc into war, with random weapon" > "People die! Much Fheels!"

NOPE.gif
post #116697 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

I hate teenage angsty shows in Mecha or War animes. Drama is fine, but when it's something petty and seriously just non-consequential in the overall world, I really can't be arsed. Code Geass was ok as Lelouch was the reason for the war in the first place, and it's his personal agenda that moved the world. But the others are " Throw XX Mc into war, with random weapon" > "People die! Much Fheels!"

NOPE.gif

TLDR; Real men like Real Anime :tongue:

post #116698 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

TLDR; Real men like Real Anime tongue.gif

But I also like moe, and Clannad, and White Album2 (very well executed, imo), and MOE! I'm actually listening to Hanasuka Saikyou Legend Days as I type this

....What does that make me?
post #116699 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


But I also like moe, and Clannad, and White Album2 (very well executed, imo), and MOE! I'm actually listening to Hanasuka Saikyou Legend Days as I type this

....What does that make me?

But you haven't watched Precure yet!

 

*lurker disappears again*

post #116700 of 149555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


But I also like moe, and Clannad, and White Album2 (very well executed, imo), and MOE! I'm actually listening to Hanasuka Saikyou Legend Days as I type this

....What does that make me?

I'm on the same boat lol.

 

WA2 was a good anime, but I can't totally agree in it being executed fully well. HOWEVER, it did the best it could. Drama anime with triangles like that are hard to execute well from what I've seen, so it did the best it could. However despite that, there were still some points of randomn derpness to what was going on, and it was also slightly rushed at the end as it spent time to work on 'building' up the suspence. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXAce View Post
 

But you haven't watched Precure yet!

 

*lurker disappears again*

Oh no you don't!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge