Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge - Page 6913

post #103681 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

I still prefer Windows 7 to both from my own usage and perspective though. I only prefer Windows 8.1 over 7 due to startup speed and optimization for BF4 which I don't play. Windows 8 is a just a big no for me, not a single bit of usability in that OS.

Yep, those nice optimization. 

 

I have no problems with 8. I've adapted. 

 

I don't leave my computer on 24/7 in the past... I do now. That means a decently fast startup time so I can get right to my anime is important to me. 

 

Hell, waiting for the first 5 seconds before the computer finishes POST and the UEFI splash screen shows and then finishes takes longer than it takes for Windows to load and bring me to the lock screen. 

post #103682 of 151596
Yeah... agree with Panda there. Windows 8 start up is pretty awesome, and when you work with really old Dell workstations, saves some time. Though it does take away some nap time... they used to boot up that slow....
post #103683 of 151596

Sorry but what's a Dell?

post #103684 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Windows 8.1 > 7 > XP > 8

Windows 8.1 > 7 > XP > 8 > 98 > 95 > Vista

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Windows 8.1 had a huge problem with drivers with my set of hardware. Even the 8.1 ready drivers the manu's had for my stuff kept giving me absolute BSOD's. 

 

While 8 does have many annoying issues for power users, most of it can be made 'optional' and never used. The improvements 8 and 8.1 have over 7 does make it the premier Windows set in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

I still prefer Windows 7 to both from my own usage and perspective though. I only prefer Windows 8.1 over 7 due to startup speed and optimization for BF4 which I don't play. Windows 8 is a just a big no for me, not a single bit of usability in that OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Yep, those nice optimization. 

 

I have no problems with 8. I've adapted. 

 

I don't leave my computer on 24/7 in the past... I do now. That means a decently fast startup time so I can get right to my anime is important to me. 

 

Hell, waiting for the first 5 seconds before the computer finishes POST and the UEFI splash screen shows and then finishes takes longer than it takes for Windows to load and bring me to the lock screen. 

 

After installing an SSD in my desktop Windows 7 machine, I always leave it in standby when I'm not using it. Only takes about 6 seconds for the HDDs to spin up and me entering my password. No need to reload the BIOS then all the Windows files, because all standby does is provide just enough power to the RAM to keep all the memory where it is.

 

It's even better than my Windows 8.1 machine, because it occasionally wakes itself up from standby when it's inside the laptop sleeve, gets really hot due to lack of airflow then drains all the battery.

post #103685 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

 
Windows 8.1 > 7 > XP > 8
Windows 8.1 had a huge problem with drivers with my set of hardware. Even the 8.1 ready drivers the manu's had for my stuff kept giving me absolute BSOD's. 
You keep saying that. I still have yet to hear many people report any problems with 8.1. XD
post #103686 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


You keep saying that. I still have yet to hear many people report any problems with 8.1. XD

There was a period of time when a rig of mine went down because of 8.1. BSOD for a while... went back to 7 Pro. Less problems.

post #103687 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Sorry but what's a Dell?

post #103688 of 151596

hahaha

post #103689 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


You keep saying that. I still have yet to hear many people report any problems with 8.1. XD

Count me in as a person who wants to report problems with Windows 8.1.

post #103690 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

 

Win 8.1 tablets are pretty nice if you wanna do stuff you can only do on Windows PCs like play VNs and whatnot, or you actually wanna get some work done.
The Dell Venue 8 Pro is pretty cheap (at least over here in the States, I can pick one up for you if it would be cheaper from the M$ store, hehe)
Also look at Lenovo's new 8" tablet too which has a 1200p screen IIRC. And don't forget to look at the ASUS Transformer Book T100 as well. :3
 

Windows 8 is weird. It's a terrible laptop operating system, and a terrible tablet operating system.

As I've mentioned before, I have a Sony Vaio Duo 11, which is a slider ultra-portable 11.6" Windows 8 machine. It's too heavy and operates too hot to be used as a proper tablet, and the screen and keyboard is too small to type comfortably. The battery life is average for PC standards (3 hours of use), but way behind that of Android tablets. I intended to get it as a substitute for my old 15.6" laptop and my Asus eee Pad Slider SL101 (which was a terrific tablet with a very nice keyboard for Android tablet standards), so I wouldn't have to carry two devices with me all the time. 

Big mistake.

Now I have something that's not quite a Windows laptop, but also not quite a tablet either, whilst wishing that I had spent that $2000 on a laptop and an Android tablet instead, possibly even with money to spare! 

Also, Windows 8/8.1 has terrible backwards compatibility with XP based VNs. I've practically stopped playing Clannad (and stopped reading manga online) because of it.

TL;DR: Don't get a hybrid Windows 8 machine unless you're fully satisfied with what you're dealing with. Most likely, getting a Windows laptop and an Android tablet as two separate devices will get the job done much quicker, better, and cheaper.
Really? I wouldn't call it terrible for a laptop or tablet. I'd call it good for a tablet and great for a laptop...
Sure is not as intuitive and schiit as Android or iOS, but they also have much less functionality when you look at all the stuff you can do on Windows that you can't do on others.

Sorry mate, I think that's just your fault for buying a crappy device. All the Sony hybrids I've tried at best buy and the Sony store are absolute schiit. Tiny trackpads and gimmicky transformations make them unusable.

Oh, and please do tell me where I could get a respectable laptop and Android tablet for the same price as my $300 transformer book.
Asus got the transformation mode thing right. Want a tablet? Push the button to remove the keyboard dock. No complicated levers and BS. Sure it has issues; it isn't very powerful because of the Atom processor, and 10" is a bit small for a laptop and almost too big for a tablet, it's a decent compromise IMO.

Wait really? Did you ever try running it in compatibility mode?
My friend chase has 200+ VNs uploaded to Nihonomaru and has received hardly any complaints about Win8 that weren't user errors. Furthermore, all the VNs I've tried (including little busters which uses the same engine as clannad) have worked fine.


What's more, Key's new Sigulus engine used in rewrite is almost completely touch optimized. Not that most VNs don't work, it's just that you have to double tap for a single click. Not with rewrite though!

Phew, that was quite a bit to type out on my phone! Time to get some sleep so I can catch the train tomorrow. Oyasumi!
Edited by mechgamer123 - 2/3/14 at 12:15am
post #103691 of 151596
I never really liked Sonic the Hedgehog games except for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the GameCube.
But anyway, this is a great album!
http://music.gamechops.com/album/club-needlemouse



This song reminds me of the main "home" theme in MegaMan Star Force. My gawd I love that game. I need to play that again.




Edited by miceblue - 2/3/14 at 12:58am
post #103692 of 151596

Oh snap!
Anakchan helped me finding out the name of the headphones from yesterday :)
And here they are!


The HAMT-1.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/700316/stymax-obravo-hamt-1-amt-hybrid


Superb Owl was pretty lame. I went to bed after the third down or whatever it is called.


Edited by Tom Yum Goong - 2/3/14 at 2:08am
post #103693 of 151596
My friends finally gone insane, first K1000, then R10 now the 009. Time to give him a visit and borrow some of them.
post #103694 of 151596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post


Really? I wouldn't call it terrible for a laptop or tablet. I'd call it good for a tablet and great for a laptop...
Sure is not as intuitive and schiit as Android or iOS, but they also have much less functionality when you look at all the stuff you can do on Windows that you can't do on others.

Sorry mate, I think that's just your fault for buying a crappy device. All the Sony hybrids I've tried at best buy and the Sony store are absolute schiit. Tiny trackpads and gimmicky transformations make them unusable.

Oh, and please do tell me where I could get a respectable laptop and Android tablet for the same price as my $300 transformer book.
Asus got the transformation mode thing right. Want a tablet? Push the button to remove the keyboard dock. No complicated levers and BS. Sure it has issues; it isn't very powerful because of the Atom processor, and 10" is a bit small for a laptop and almost too big for a tablet, it's a decent compromise IMO.

Wait really? Did you ever try running it in compatibility mode?
My friend chase has 200+ VNs uploaded to Nihonomaru and has received hardly any complaints about Win8 that weren't user errors. Furthermore, all the VNs I've tried (including little busters which uses the same engine as clannad) have worked fine.


What's more, Key's new Sigulus engine used in rewrite is almost completely touch optimized. Not that most VNs don't work, it's just that you have to double tap for a single click. Not with rewrite though!

Phew, that was quite a bit to type out on my phone! Time to get some sleep so I can catch the train tomorrow. Oyasumi!

Windows and Android both have their own pros and cons. For me, Windows is great for PC stuff like Android modding, image editing, word processing, moderate gaming (Wii lol) and file managing. Android is great for casual internet browsing, manga reading, managing lists, light touchscreen gaming (usually Cytus, Flow) and portable emulator gaming (Phoenix Wright, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Persona etc).

 

Me trying to get a device that can do both was a silly idea. It was my fault for buying a crappy device.

 

I don't know where you could get a decent laptop and an Android tablet for $300, so I really can't tell you. But it can easily be done with $2000! When I got my Asus eee Pad Slider (which again, was a mighty fine tablet until the LCD failed after 6 months and I got a full refund for it), it was only $399. In that case, $1600 is plenty for a decent laptop. At one point I really fancied the late 2011 MacBook Pro 15" (second hand). Such nice build and hardware! Of course, I wouldn't use Mac OS X; I'd be running Windows! But having OS X would be useful for Photobooth and BombSquad.

 

Dammit, Asus!

 

Yes, but the problem was most of the VNs I played were made only with XP in mind. Compatibility mode didn't help much. Buttons that had to be left-clicked required me to tap it twice using the touchscreen.

 

Edit: exactly!

 

Dammit, Windows 8.1!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

My friends finally gone insane, first K1000, then R10 now the 009. Time to give him a visit and borrow some of them.

Dat biocellulose driver! Let us know if you notice any difference compared to conventional dynamic drivers!

post #103695 of 151596

Also, dat sneaky Japanese disinfectant and Beats Executive in this picture:

 

And dat sneaky Beats Studios in this picture:

 

Watch out, Head-Fi!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge