Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › BOSE.....why does it get laughed at in the audiophile community? Are the products really that bad???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BOSE.....why does it get laughed at in the audiophile community? Are the products really that bad??? - Page 2

post #16 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post



This is where i draw the line.

 

Who the hell would spend more then $1000 on speakers?



It's a receiver and a sub too, so factor that in, but the particular Bose speakers that come in that box I wouldn't spend more than $300 on. There are plenty of speakers worth over $1000. I bought all mine used, but brand new I'd have been looking at nearly $2k for the speakers alone. Remember, there's 5 of them to buy. 

post #17 of 99

I'm not spending anything on speakers until I can get my hands on some Hegeman Labs Model 1s.

post #18 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAudit View Post

I'm not spending anything on speakers until I can get my hands on some Hegeman Labs Model 1s.



Why? What does one need omnidirectional speakers for? Plus given how rare they are, you may not be buying speakers for a while. What I don't understand is the need to buy speakers for music listening. I much prefer my headphones over my speakers (with the exception being my 5.1 copy of Dark Side of the Moon and a couple concert blurays) for music listening.

post #19 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileppezdel77 View Post



Why? What does one need omnidirectional speakers for? Plus given how rare they are, you may not be buying speakers for a while. What I don't understand is the need to buy speakers for music listening. I much prefer my headphones over my speakers (with the exception being my 5.1 copy of Dark Side of the Moon and a couple concert blurays) for music listening.



I have an angle. Stu Hegeman was my best friend's grandfather. beyersmile.png

post #20 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAudit View Post



I have an angle. Stu Hegeman was my best friend's grandfather. beyersmile.png



That's pretty sweet. Still curious what one would be doing with an omnidirectional speaker though. It seems like an oddity rather than an actually useful feature. For my purposes, at least, I know where I'll be sitting and unidirectional speakers work fine for me. Seriously though, what kind of a room would you use it in?

post #21 of 99

What i mean is why spend $1000 on speakers when $100 logitech speakers do the job. I'm not hugely into sound quality all the time and cheap $30 speakers satisfy me more then $300 headphones.

 

The only real purpose in having that expensive speakers bragging rights and to show off to friends.

post #22 of 99

I dont even know where to begin with this. I know for sure that you have never heard $1000 speakers cause even a person with zero interest in SQ can tell the difference between some ok $1000 speakers and $100 speakers. If you are not into SQ why do you own several different headphones, why are you even on headfi for that matter? To me what you said in your first two sentences means that you fit your own mold of "The only real purpose in having that expensive speakers (headphones in your case) bragging rights and to show off to friends."
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

What i mean is why spend $1000 on speakers when $100 logitech speakers do the job. I'm not hugely into sound quality all the time and cheap $30 speakers satisfy me more then $300 headphones.

 

The only real purpose in having that expensive speakers bragging rights and to show off to friends.



 

post #23 of 99


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

What i mean is why spend $1000 on speakers when $100 logitech speakers do the job. I'm not hugely into sound quality all the time and cheap $30 speakers satisfy me more then $300 headphones.

 

The only real purpose in having that expensive speakers bragging rights and to show off to friends.

 

I'm not sure what you mean? There's the whole sound quality thing that makes some more expensive speakers worth having. For music this is especially true. Have you ever heard a really nice set of electrostat speakers? Beautiful. 
 

For film, maybe one likes the whole movie experience in their living room. Getting clear dialogue and excellent surround sound and monstrous bass is as important to so many of the films I like as the quality of my TV. 

 

On the other hand, for music, I'm not interested in using speakers for the most part, so I have nicer headphones than speakers in my "music room" and am more than content with the Wharfedale 8.1's I got for $15 at a garage sale. Good enough is fine because I don't use them for much, but I can certainly imagine it would be awesome to have a set of Lenehan ML1's and not merely because of the price point. 

 

This is an audiophile board, so "doing the job" is probably not good enough for most members here, though I'm new and don't know that for sure. If we were all content with what just did the job, we'd all have $2 ear buds and computer speakers and would have nothing to talk about. It's sort of odd to see the argument - that having nice speakers that perform above and beyond "just enough" being nothing more than bragging points - on a board like this. 

post #24 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

I dont even know where to begin with this. I know for sure that you have never heard $1000 speakers cause even a person with zero interest in SQ can tell the difference between some ok $1000 speakers and $100 speakers. If you are not into SQ why do you own several different headphones, why are you even on headfi for that matter? To me what you said in your first two sentences means that you fit your own mold of "The only real purpose in having that expensive speakers (headphones in your case) bragging rights and to show off to friends."
 



 


I care enough about sound quality to invest in decent headphones but i just don't see the point in speakers because i never use them for anything but movies. Also cheap speakers are unrevealing so i can listen to what ever the hell i want. I have heard good speakers. My landlord has some really sweet 10 year old klipsch speakers. Are they good? Yes they are good. Would i buy them? No they take up to much space. Headphones are a convenience.

 

 

I find my headphones (no matter what pair i use) to be way more fatiguing then any speakers i have used. There is always exceptions but $30 logitech 2.0 speakers sound better to me. My family who has auditioned my headphones agrees.


Edited by bcasey25raptor - 12/19/11 at 2:43am
post #25 of 99

Bost.jpg

post #26 of 99

^haha

 

If they had QC15 under 150 dollars, I would buy them. That's only a just a dream. 

post #27 of 99

The general consensus is that they are just grossly overpriced. What are the AE2s? $150? They sound like they should be priced around $40. They feel like they should be priced $30 (referring to build quality). I actually was bidding on a pair of AE1s that needed recabling but I ended up losing. Some idiot got them for like $80. Their speakers are a joke. Yeah, let's put 50 1" drivers in a cabinet. Cool. rolleyes.gif Also the loyal fanboys of Bose are really funny. I met one just recently.

 

My favorite saying is BOSE: Better Sound Through Marketing

post #28 of 99

When someone buys BOSE you know they're not an audiophile, and simultaneously know they are member of aspiratoinal middle class consumer-society.

 

I recon I would give more cred to someone using Beats - not that that is much of a compliment.


Edited by drez - 12/19/11 at 6:28pm
post #29 of 99

yeah they are that bad. i tested a pair out. odn't know which ones. the price was around $300 though....omg.. i don't know if there was a sound cancelling thing going on. but the music sounded soo spacy. like i was in a vacuum tube or something... 

*looks around for the beats studio's at the apple store*

that's how bad they were

post #30 of 99

I heard a BOZO Home Theatre system in a dedicated room in a Hi Fi store.

I couldn't believe how bad it sounded!confused_face_2.gif

 

A friend of mine bought a BOZO (ooops, I meant Bose) home theatre system a few years later, it sounded just as bad as I remembered.

He actually thinks it sounds good, nice guy but he must have clothe ears.

I didn't have the heart to tell him it sounded like a dog's *****!

 

I swear that BOSE is Armenian for dog shyte (apparently Amar Bose is Armenian).

BTW I have nothing against Armenians..............they are the very, very fine people who created the beautiful Zildjian cymbals!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › BOSE.....why does it get laughed at in the audiophile community? Are the products really that bad???