Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added) - Page 6

post #76 of 279

Looking forward to your review. I've been eying this one for a while. Will you be testing this with the SA-43s as well?

post #77 of 279
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clabbe View Post

Looking forward to your review. I've been eying this one for a while. Will you be testing this with the SA-43s as well?


Thanks. Yes, the SA-43 is a good IEM to test with these amps as it is the most difficult to drive custom IEM I own.

 

post #78 of 279

Hi Joe,

 

Just wondering if you have by any chance listened to the Leckerton uha-4?

I'm deciding if I should be getting that to pair with my 8As.

 

Thanks.

post #79 of 279

I am kinda curious how the Headstage Arrow 4G has improved compared to its previous iterations. I am looking for a great slim portable headphone amp for my IEM's, and am awaiting a pair of AS-1b's in the coming days/weeks. Any suggestions? The Arrow really is my target pricepoint. But I would be willing to spend more if their is an obvious better choice

post #80 of 279
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter View Post

Hi Joe,

 

Just wondering if you have by any chance listened to the Leckerton uha-4?

I'm deciding if I should be getting that to pair with my 8As.

 

Thanks.


I hear it is a great amp, but I haven't yet heard it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post

I am kinda curious how the Headstage Arrow 4G has improved compared to its previous iterations. I am looking for a great slim portable headphone amp for my IEM's, and am awaiting a pair of AS-1b's in the coming days/weeks. Any suggestions? The Arrow really is my target pricepoint. But I would be willing to spend more if their is an obvious better choice


My only other Arrow was the 12 HE, and the G4 is superior in resolution and seems a bit more spacious, but I need more time with it.  The treble boost is a nice touch.  The only other amp with a similar size/shape that I know of is the TTVJ Slim, which I haven't heard, but it was supposed to be similar in performance with IEMs to the 12 HE, but warmer with a tube sound.

post #81 of 279

Thanks for the help, does that mean you are testing out the G4 now? and the pico slim isn't still small? or is their a huge difference?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

My only other Arrow was the 12 HE, and the G4 is superior in resolution and seems a bit more spacious, but I need more time with it.  The treble boost is a nice touch.  The only other amp with a similar size/shape that I know of is the TTVJ Slim, which I haven't heard, but it was supposed to be similar in performance with IEMs to the 12 HE, but warmer with a tube sound.

 


Edited by kenman345 - 4/16/12 at 10:20pm
post #82 of 279
Thread Starter 

Yes, I am testing the G4 now.  The Pico Slim is smaller, but a bit thicker.  I use the PS case that came with it which makes the PS double the thickness of the Arrow, but you don't need to use it of course.  You can see some pictures of the two next to each other in the first post of this thread.

post #83 of 279

Was mainly curios about how it performs with high-sensitivity IEM's and IEM's at low volumes, as those seem to be the major re-occuring complaints about the G3. If you could let me know that would be awesome. Love this thread, very excited to get a new amp soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

Yes, I am testing the G4 now.  The Pico Slim is smaller, but a bit thicker.  I use the PS case that came with it which makes the PS double the thickness of the Arrow, but you don't need to use it of course.  You can see some pictures of the two next to each other in the first post of this thread.



 

post #84 of 279

Hi joe,

May i know is the cruise suitable for iem use? and which CIEM (NT6, ACS T1, or H.A. 8A) will benefit most from the cruise?

Thanks

post #85 of 279
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post

Was mainly curios about how it performs with high-sensitivity IEM's and IEM's at low volumes, as those seem to be the major re-occuring complaints about the G3. If you could let me know that would be awesome. Love this thread, very excited to get a new amp soon.


Robert can make an adjustment for high sensitivity IEMs, and I will be getting mine changed out.  Currently I have the stock version and there is a channel imbalance at low volumes.  It isn't as bad as some I have encountered, but still it prevents very low level listening with very high sensitivity IEMs.  Other than that, the amp performs very well, but I do need more time testing it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifen View Post

Hi joe,

May i know is the cruise suitable for iem use? and which CIEM (NT6, ACS T1, or H.A. 8A) will benefit most from the cruise?

Thanks


The Cruise sounds excellent with CIEMs as it is dynamic, punchy, immediate, and involving and all will benefit.  The less sensitive ones such as the T1 and Starkey SA-43 will benefit more from the Cruise than the NT6 or JH16.  However, it does have a low level of hiss, which is dependent on the sensitivity.  Unless you listen to music that has a lot of quiet passages (classical for example), the hiss is inaudible (at least to me) when music is playing.

post #86 of 279

Sorry for interfering the hi-fi discussion but I just have a few questions about the iFuzen HP-1. Do you know what the "sound modes" are? All I can find is that it's supposed to match your headphones. What does low/high power actually mean? What specs would run better with which setting? Impedance, sensitivity etc.

 

 

Set 1

 

Blue LED Blink 1

 

Multimedia Headphone, Low Power

Set 2

Blue LED Blink 2

 

Multimedia Headphone with Cross Feed Filter, Low Power

 

Set 3

 

Blue LED Blink 3

 

High Performance Monitoring Headphone, High Power

Set 4

 

Blue LED Blink 4

 

High Performance Hi-Fi Headphone, High Power

 

 

post #87 of 279

Amps are known to benefit headphones more than IEMs because a lot of them need additional juice (because BAs are more efficient).  Because of that, do amps benefit DD-based IEMs more than BA-based IEMs in general?

post #88 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

Sorry for interfering the hi-fi discussion but I just have a few questions about the iFuzen HP-1. Do you know what the "sound modes" are? All I can find is that it's supposed to match your headphones. What does low/high power actually mean? What specs would run better with which setting? Impedance, sensitivity etc.

 

 

Set 1

 

Blue LED Blink 1

 

Multimedia Headphone, Low Power

Set 2

Blue LED Blink 2

 

Multimedia Headphone with Cross Feed Filter, Low Power

 

Set 3

 

Blue LED Blink 3

 

High Performance Monitoring Headphone, High Power

Set 4

 

Blue LED Blink 4

 

High Performance Hi-Fi Headphone, High Power

 

 

 

I haven't been able to figure out the sound modes as of now, but the low/high power refers to the two different headphone jacks, as one is low gain and the other is high gain.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSC View Post

Amps are known to benefit headphones more than IEMs because a lot of them need additional juice (because BAs are more efficient).  Because of that, do amps benefit DD-based IEMs more than BA-based IEMs in general?

 

In my experience, it depends, lol.  I would say on the lower end of the spectrum amps benefit DDs more than BAs as the amp helps to control the DD while the BA doesn't have too much headroom for improvement on the lower end of the spectrum.  An exception is the PFE products.  On the lower end, you can take a DD IEM that might not have that great of bass control, but with an amp that can really control the bass like the Stepdance, the IEM will compete with unamped DDs at a higher price point.

 

On the higher end, there aren't many DDs and some BA CIEMs can really improve with amping, especially in the bass region.  While the CIEMs I have with DDs improve with amping, they don't improve as much as their BA counterparts in general.

post #89 of 279

Interesting...Thanks!

post #90 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

I haven't been able to figure out the sound modes as of now, but the low/high power refers to the two different headphone jacks, as one is low gain and the other is high gain.

 

That's not entirely true. Both of the jacks work with all of the sound modes. It just boils down to the impedance and sensitivity which jack and sound mode you should choose. I'm always using the low gain jack since my phones are either budget IEMs or my K271mkII which aren't hard to drive at all. I just had to try right now and with the different gains in the jacks, that leaves us with 8 combinations. Someone with good ears tell me the difference? ;) I contacted Auzentech about the vague descriptions on sound modes. All he had to say was:

 

Dear Simon,

Thanks for your purchase of the i.Fuzen.

The soundmode is a hardware modification of sound (not equalizer) to
customize the i.Fuzen to match the characteristic of your headphones.

Sincerely,

Jay DeWalques

 

Which really isn't helpful at all. I tried asking again about specifics or if that was a company secret. Haven't heard from him again.

So while I think it sounds a bit like equalizing, the company says it's not. So with that information. Can anybody with more knowledge figure out what "hardware modifications" are made?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Multi-Portable Amp Thread: 16 amps reviewed (Leckerton UHA-6S MKII added)