Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful - Page 17

post #241 of 342
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

so does the re262 work very well with the Z02? Does it bring out most of the potential?

 

I didn't have a Zo2 but I used an original Zo. A higher quality amp section really brings out the best but I did enjoy the added low end the Zo brought to the table.

post #242 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

 

I didn't have a Zo2 but I used an original Zo. A higher quality amp section really brings out the best but I did enjoy the added low end the Zo brought to the table.

outside of the low end, in terms of over all amping on the green setting how does it fair?

post #243 of 342
Thread Starter 
For instance, the Fiio E17 had a better amp section but it is also much larger and it's bass boost doesn't compare to the Zo. I wouldn't recommend the Zo just for straight amping but rather for bass contouring.
post #244 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

For instance, the Fiio E17 had a better amp section but it is also much larger and it's bass boost doesn't compare to the Zo. I wouldn't recommend the Zo just for straight amping but rather for bass contouring.

Yeah I was expecting something like that ^^. For that I'm leaning toward buying the FXT90, the Sunrise Xcaps Impressive, or (if I can squeeze out the cash) the Turbine Pro coppers. 

post #245 of 342

Just tried it through Studio-V .....Very effective indeed

post #246 of 342

Just tried it through Studio-V .....Very effective indeed

post #247 of 342

So effective that your post echoed back.

post #248 of 342

In researching the RE272 tonight, I decided to give my RE262 a spin after quite some time stashed away (due to being obsessed with the AS-2 prototype I was auditioning).

 

Running it through the Objective2 amp, I'm continually reminded of why I love this phone so much.. and it seemingly has a permanent spot in my dwindling collection of universal IEMs.

 

I was listening to Blu Mar Ten's epic "Producer 03" album and one of my favorite tracks came on : "Cumulus".. an apt description for this lovely, atmospheric song.

 

Within moments of the track hit it's pace.. I had to grab my ears wondering if I had full sized headphones on.  The RE262's engulfing soundstage had me stunned.  This track has lots of wonderful synth sweeps and locational sound effects.. all produced & layered with precision.  It's also got some incredible sub bass that you would expect from the atmospheric jungle/DnB genre.

 

Well, I was left picking my jaw off the floor marveling at how amazing it all sounded with the RE262.  The Bass notes, in particular, were so full, extended, rounded.. and rumbly!  They were presented with an astonishing level of effortlessness and depth.  I had to play the track back a good three or four times cause i couldn't get enough the first few times.

 

I recommend running this track through a well amped RE262.. prepare to be amazed!

post #249 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

In researching the RE272 tonight, I decided to give my RE262 a spin after quite some time stashed away (due to being obsessed with the AS-2 prototype I was auditioning).

 

Running it through the Objective2 amp, I'm continually reminded of why I love this phone so much.. and it seemingly has a permanent spot in my dwindling collection of universal IEMs.

 

I was listening to Blu Mar Ten's epic "Producer 03" album and one of my favorite tracks came on : "Cumulus".. an apt description for this lovely, atmospheric song.

 

Within moments of the track hit it's pace.. I had to grab my ears wondering if I had full sized headphones on.  The RE262's engulfing soundstage had me stunned.  This track has lots of wonderful synth sweeps and locational sound effects.. all produced & layered with precision.  It's also got some incredible sub bass that you would expect from the atmospheric jungle/DnB genre.

 

Well, I was left picking my jaw off the floor marveling at how amazing it all sounded with the RE262.  The Bass notes, in particular, were so full, extended, rounded.. and rumbly!  They were presented with an astonishing level of effortlessness and depth.  I had to play the track back a good three or four times cause i couldn't get enough the first few times.

 

I recommend running this track through a well amped RE262.. prepare to be amazed!

Got the same amp and same IEMs (RE262). Soundstage and transparancy are great with the O2 amp. The O2 amp beats the built-in iBasso D4 amp (with OPA1612).


Edited by s0lar - 6/6/12 at 2:30am
post #250 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
 

 

Great track!

 

Flysweep, for someone who already owns the ASG-1.2, is it still worth it to try the RE262? It's been on my radar for quite some time now.

post #251 of 342

Thanks Flysweep, I got that exact seismic feeling of bigger HP wow that bass went so low......I ran it through my computer's sound card that amplifies the sound Auzentech sound card. Simply stunning.

post #252 of 342
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

..for someone who already owns the ASG-1.2, is it still worth it to try the RE262? It's been on my radar for quite some time now.

 

In my opinion, absolutely.  It's important to go in with the correct expectations though.  While both the ASG-1.2 & RE262 are 'midcentric' phones.. their tonalities are quite different.  I'd characterize the ASG-1 (and rev. 1.2) as having a dry texture while the RE262 is very liquid, airy, and possesses just the right touch of lushness.  The ASG-1.2.. while certainly more "audiophile-friendly".. is still very much a stage monitor in the way it presents it's sound.  The RE262 is, unabashedly, a colored phone aimed squarely at audiophiles.  In my profile, you can see all the phones I've owned (and auditioned many more), there's a reason why the RE262 has remained.  It possesses a truly one-of-a-kind signature that I've yet to hear in any other phone.. and the driver is truly marvelous in it's ability to portray a deep, black background.  The liquidity of the midrange is almost ortho-like.

 

As I've said in other RE262 threads.. the RE262 will, most likely, never be the 'only' phone you own.  The signature is too specialized, IMO, to be that phone.  But for certain genres (i.e. folk, acoustic, jazz, soul, soft rock, etc.) it's almost unparalleled in the enjoyment it offers.  That's why it has a seemingly permanent place in my collection.  I don't listen to it all the time, but there are many times I'm in the mood to listen to it and nothing else.  Also, I get a kick out of throwing music at the RE262 that I wouldn't have thought it would sound good (i.e. atmospheric DnB), only to be wow'ed (as I jubilantly described in my prior post).

 

So yes, I think the RE262 can definitely share a place next to the ASG-1.2 in one's collection.  The ASG-1.2 might be more friendly with a variety of genres.. but the airy, smooth, liquid, slightly warm & lush tone of the RE262 is one of a kind and must be heard to be appreciated.  It's very unique, musical, and incredibly addictive.  The thing I really like about the RE262 is that it isn't just about the presentation.. it's a very technically advanced phone too.. microdetail, timbre, extension, dynamic range, etc. are something I'd expect from a three or four hundred dollar phone.. it's got no business being this good from a $150 phone.  Also, I've done the ClieOS foam mod on my RE262.. which eschews the generally warm tone for a more balanced sound with better treble presence.  The change is very subtle, but noticeable.  While the RE262 can sound good unamped, an amp is recommended to truly hear its capabilities (the Objective2 & Arrow are among the best portable amp pairings I've heard with it).


Edited by FlySweep - 6/6/12 at 11:56am
post #253 of 342
Originally Posted by maguire View Post

Thanks Flysweep, I got that exact seismic feeling of bigger HP wow that bass went so low......I ran it through my computer's sound card that amplifies the sound Auzentech sound card. Simply stunning.

 

Yep.. I think the (effortless) extension is really quite stunning.  It isn't a bassy phone by any means, but the ability to display bass in a very rounded, natural, robust manner is impressive.  For all those that wonder why some prefer dynamic drivers over a BA for bass, the RE262 is actually a terrific example.  While bass may not pound and thump (the way it would from an Atrios), it's displayed with the utmost delicacy, dynamic, sophistication, and natural texture.


Edited by FlySweep - 6/6/12 at 11:54am
post #254 of 342

Just as I was saving up for Auresonic's updated universal, I see this warm thread on the RE262 and also read Joker's review of the IEM (Sound 9.1/10; value 9.5/10). BAM! Money's spent on the 262's. Of course it happened to have helped taking delivery of a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G today and then reading Flysweep's phrase, "they sound like a match made in heaven with the Arrow." That about popped my cork. smile.gif

post #255 of 342

Now I understand other's concern about initial sound and the benefits if amping these. That, after first forgetting about the additional wires for special circumstances and putting the wrong one on. I got nothing out of the right ear but some static from the iPhone. Heart sank. frown.gif  All's okay now and putting these on the burn cycle. Going to my nephew's graduation upstate and have doubts about whether I should connect to the home PC and let 'er rip for the entire weekend.

 

The isolation must be okay with the included tips on RE-262, because my wife got home during my initial consternation and was incensed that I didn't hear her saying hello in graduating loudness levels. I was connected to my laptop, which probably accounted for those other wires, and delivered sound to both earphones. I was transfixed at that moment. redface.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful