Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful - Page 16

post #226 of 342

262 is nice , but 272 is better me thinks , especially if you can amp a bit the bass freqs

post #227 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

262 is nice , but 272 is better me thinks , especially if you can amp a bit the bass freqs

 

I think RE272 will pair better with HM-601, but I spent very little time with this combo to find out. Too bad I don't own them anymore. Since you brought this up, I would like to add my 2 cents on RE272 vs. RE262. Personally, I ended up preferring the latter because I find that out of my sources, RE262 seems to have: 1) Better low end extension; 2) Sharper imaging; 3) Better soundstage with more depth to it; 4) Somewhat better dynamics; 5) Subjectively a more more musical, more involving sound due to the more forward, more present mids. RE272, on the other hand, has the advantage of somewhat superior treble quality, better clarity, more natural timbre, and perhaps a bit more detail and a more neutral overall balance that suits a wider range of music genres better. But overall, I did not find RE272 to be clearly superior to RE262 as each has its strengths and weaknesses.

 

post #228 of 342

I agree as well, the 272 doesn't blow away the 262.  The 262 is more musical, more weight or impact at the low end.  In my rig the 272 is more detailed, more neutral, and better highs.  The benefit of the doubt goes to the 272 for now because I haven't fully dissected it as you have but I have been using the 262 for a year.  The 262 & 272 remind me a lot of the LCD-2 rev1 & rev2 in that the latter models seemed to focus more on detail, treble, and neutrality while losing some of the musicality magic.  Rather than it being a trade off one can still purchase the 262 or 272 whereas with the Audeze one can no longer buy a new rev1.  So Hifiman is trying to cover different tastes and Audeze is progressing toward a certain sound.        
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

I think RE272 will pair better with HM-601, but I spent very little time with this combo to find out. Too bad I don't own them anymore. Since you brought this up, I would like to add my 2 cents on RE272 vs. RE262. Personally, I ended up preferring the latter because I find that out of my sources, RE262 seems to have: 1) Better low end extension; 2) Sharper imaging; 3) Better soundstage with more depth to it; 4) Somewhat better dynamics; 5) Subjectively a more more musical, more involving sound due to the more forward, more present mids. RE272, on the other hand, has the advantage of somewhat superior treble quality, better clarity, more natural timbre, and perhaps a bit more detail and a more neutral overall balance that suits a wider range of music genres better. But overall, I did not find RE272 to be clearly superior to RE262 as each has its strengths and weaknesses.

 



 

post #229 of 342

I find RE262 and RE272 very similar in overall presentation - enough to suggest that they use very similar drivers. RE272 might have some edge in technicalities, but it is also much harder on the amp due to its low impedance and thus more difficult to drive properly and to hear at its best than the RE262.

post #230 of 342
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

I find RE262 and RE272 very similar in overall presentation - enough to suggest that they use very similar drivers. RE272 might have some edge in technicalities, but it is also much harder on the amp due to its low impedance and thus more difficult to drive properly and to hear at its best than the RE262.


The RE262 & RE272 actually employ the same driver.

post #231 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post


The RE262 & RE272 actually employ the same driver.

 

Well, it's not exactly the same because they have different impedances, but other than that they are very similar I suppose. Did you ask Hifiman about this?

post #232 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

I find RE262 and RE272 very similar in overall presentation - enough to suggest that they use very similar drivers. RE272 might have some edge in technicalities, but it is also much harder on the amp due to its low impedance and thus more difficult to drive properly and to hear at its best than the RE262.

So if I own 262 and I would want a bit more bass impact, 272 wouldn't be a good choice right?  I am using my small E6 amp to mu iPhone 4S to play music with my 262.  But I personally like my Grado by far on my MacBook Pro.

post #233 of 342

Would you recommend the 262's or the GR07's for mainly pop, blues, jazz and alt rock? I'm thinking the 262's because of what you wrote about the 262's vocals and instruments... thoughts?

post #234 of 342
Originally Posted by Spaz115 View Post

Would you recommend the 262's or the GR07's for mainly pop, blues, jazz and alt rock? I'm thinking the 262's because of what you wrote about the 262's vocals and instruments... thoughts?

 

Blues & Jazz = RE262

Pop & Alt Rock = GR07

post #235 of 342

For all of those genres then I would suppose GR07's > 262's?
In the review shotgunshane writes that "The RE262’s are lush, liquid, silky smooth, very rich and superbly textured.

 

Timbre is excellent.  Instrument realism is something the RE262 excel with and vocals sound simply amazing, intimate and effortless.".

With that in mind I would suppose that the 262's sound more special than the GR07's? What I've heard with the Vsonics are that there are no drawbacks with the sound at all. What makes the GR07 better in pop and alt rock compared to the 262's?

post #236 of 342
Thread Starter 
In general I would say the gr07 is a better allrounder. I've read posts of bigger bass in the later versions of the gr07 but I'm not sure if that's true. I had the original version of the gr07 and it was pretty monitor like with a sub bass kick, which is what I think makes it the great allrounder it is known for. Hopefully they haven't boosted the bass over what it originally was.

The re262 focal point is on the midrange, which is something I prefer and really draws you into the vocals. So it has more color to it than the gr07 I had, however it was very tastefully done; so yes it's 'special'. Also the level of detail with the re262 seems to be a little greater (not by much though).

In general, most will recommend th gr07 for rock due to its superb distortion guitar crunch. The re262 distortion guitars are smoother with less bite. Both do drums very well.
Edited by shotgunshane - 5/15/12 at 5:18am
post #237 of 342

Hm, okay. Probably going to get the GR07's as there are available locally and probably the safer bet, and pick up some RE262's in the future. (Or the other way round if I find some 262's locally...) Thanks for the help :)

post #238 of 342

the only drawback imho of the 262 is their rolled-off treble - they always left me longing for some more high clarity/punch

 

this was repaired in the 272 (which i got after my 262 broke) and so far i am VERY pleased by the 272 - if  i need a little extra bass boost , my arrow 1G amp takes care of it

 

now, if they make a 282 , with the 262 mids and the 272 highs ----> I AM BUYING IT YESTERDAY jecklinsmile.gif

post #239 of 342

 "if they make a 282 , with the 262 mids and the 272 highs ----> I AM BUYING IT YESTERDAY jecklinsmile.gif"

i Love both but COMBINED .....well ummmmm Buying the day before yesterday.......................................But then you have perfection......so it will never happen

post #240 of 342

so does the re262 work very well with the Z02? Does it bring out most of the potential?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful