Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful - Page 8

post #106 of 342
Thread Starter 

I dont have any of those. I may need to pick some up. 

post #107 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

So, I really didn't like the RE262 silicon double-flanges on the 7550 (I have a set of stiffer silicon single flanges that look like the Jays that I like better  - curtesy of cute...thanks again sir). 

 

But I have, however, discovered that there is a silicon double-flange that I like better on the RE262 than its already great double-flange silicon. Shotgun and FlySweep (and cute) try the Meel M11 long silicon double flanges. I find that it gives me more bass and brings the treble out a little bit more too in RE262. Loving it!!


i agree! the double flange silicon with the Re-262 is great for isolation and SQ. i am loving my Re-262. its very musical and spacious. and i love how the bass and mids are handled.

 

GReat!
 

 

post #108 of 342
Thread Starter 

Looks like I'll be trying the new Fiio Alpen amp with them too. I just pre-ordered one from mp4nation and got an extra $10 off their already low pre-order price. 

post #109 of 342

So I didn't care for the RE262 too much with the Fiio E7...Too warm! But I finally plugged the 262 directly into my 160gb iPod Classic, and I'll admit it doesn't sound too bad (I have to turn the volume all the way up to it's limit to get a decent sound level for me). I didn't, however, like the 262 with my nano or Sony s545... And the experimeting continues.. Either the E10 or E10/E9 combo and we have magic!!

post #110 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

So I didn't care for the RE262 too much with the Fiio E7...Too warm! But I finally plugged the 262 directly into my 160gb iPod Classic, and I'll admit it doesn't sound too bad (I have to turn the volume all the way up to it's limit to get a decent sound level for me). I didn't, however, like the 262 with my nano or Sony s545... And the experimeting continues.. Either the E10 or E10/E9 combo and we have magic!!


@ericp10...Did you you a LOD to your Fiio E7 from your iPod?  Which generation iPod Classic?
 

 

post #111 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post


@ericp10...Did you you a LOD to your Fiio E7 from your iPod?  Which generation iPod Classic?
 

 



Yes I did use an LOD, cute. And this is the iPOD Classic from two years ago (I think)... 160gb

post #112 of 342

I have to say without a doubt now>>> The RE262 is my favorite universal  IEM (when hooked up to a good powerful amp). And while I still like them a lot, the W4, GR07, FXT90, TF10 or 7550 doesn't  come close. They're all in a clear second place when comparing them to the 262. This is my preferred sound signature! I could stand a bit more bass, but the bass is fine. They're not bass shy at all. 

 

Now comparing this to the 1964-Q, I have to first say they sound nothing alike. But those two are more of a tie in enjoyment to my ears. But I just can't stop listening to the 262 (when I get home). I doubt I'll ever make it a travel IEM.

post #113 of 342
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

I have to say without a doubt now>>> The RE262 is my favorite universal  IEM (when hooked up to a good powerful amp). And while I still like them a lot, the W4, GR07, FXT90, TF10 or 7550 doesn't  come close. They're all in a clear second place when comparing them to the 262. This is my preferred sound signature! I could stand a bit more bass, but the bass is fine. They're not bass shy at all. 

 

Now comparing this to the 1964-Q, I have to first say they sound nothing alike. But those two are more of a tie in enjoyment to my ears. But I just can't stop listening to the 262 (when I get home). I doubt I'll ever make it a travel IEM.


Nice!  I feel the same way.. as I've told you before, the RE262 is my favorite universal. I never thought I would like a "colored" phone this much (I typically tire of them after a few months) but the coloration is just done so damn well, it's practically addicting.  I like feeding them something neutral/slightly smooth as far as amps go (Arrow 3G & the mx-1), it does a nice job preserving the RE262's unique sound.  I'll be bringing them along with me to the Seattle meet in a few weeks to run them through rigs & amps that even my dreams can't afford  tongue_smile.gif.

 

Between the Paradox, Quads.. and the recently acquired e-Q5 & HiFiMan HE-300, the poor FXT90s simply haven't got any attention.. they might even be going up in the FS forum.  A shame cause I love them too.


Edited by FlySweep - 1/6/12 at 2:21am
post #114 of 342


What's the Paradox? You forgot about the Merlins....lol. You like e-Q5 that much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post


Nice!  I feel the same way.. as I've told you before, the RE262 is my favorite universal. I never thought I would like a "colored" phone this much (I typically tire of them after a few months) but the coloration is just done so damn well, it's practically addicting.  I like feeding them something neutral/slightly smooth as far as amps go (Arrow 3G & the mx-1), it does a nice job preserving the RE262's unique sound.  I'll be bringing them along with me to the Seattle meet in a few weeks to run them through rigs & amps that even my dreams can't afford  tongue_smile.gif.

 

Between the Paradox, Quads.. and the recently acquired e-Q5 & HiFiMan HE-300, the poor FXT90s simply haven't got any attention.. they might even be going up in the FS forum.  A shame cause I love them too.



 

post #115 of 342
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post


What's the Paradox? You forgot about the Merlins....lol. You like e-Q5 that much?


 

The Paradox is LFF's mod on the famous DIY T50RP headphone (they sound better than the LCD-2 rev. 2).  Many who attended a Cali meet a couple of months ago & heard it said it was second only to the Stax 009... very high praise.  It's the finest headphone I've ever heard.

I have the Miracles (not the Merlin).. and they're on their way back to UM for a slight fix.  When it gets back, most all my IEMs & phones end up gathering dust.. not a good sign for the FXT.

I love the e-Q5.  I'm a fan of the DBA too, but the e-Q5 is how I wished the DBA sounded: more natural, weighty, dynamic, and transparent.. and better bass presence.  I'm floored by the control, detail, and evenness of the mids and treble on the e-Q5.  It's not as aggressive but very lively.  What Ortofon has done with a single MA driver is impressive.. I'm really interested in hearing the e-Q7 now, too (apparently a warmer twist on the e-Q5).  The e-Q5 is a keeper for me.. possibly tied with the RE262 as my favorite universal IEM.

post #116 of 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post


 

The Paradox is LFF's mod on the famous DIY T50RP headphone (they sound better than the LCD-2 rev. 2).  Many who attended a Cali meet a couple of months ago & heard it said it was second only to the Stax 009... very high praise.  It's the finest headphone I've ever heard.

I have the Miracles (not the Merlin).. and they're on their way back to UM for a slight fix.  When it gets back, most all my IEMs & phones end up gathering dust.. not a good sign for the FXT.

I love the e-Q5.  I'm a fan of the DBA too, but the e-Q5 is how I wished the DBA sounded: more natural, weighty, dynamic, and transparent.. and better bass presence.  I'm floored by the control, detail, and evenness of the mids and treble on the e-Q5.  It's not as aggressive but very lively.  What Ortofon has done with a single MA driver is impressive.. I'm really interested in hearing the e-Q7 now, too (apparently a warmer twist on the e-Q5).  The e-Q5 is a keeper for me.. possibly tied with the RE262 as my favorite universal IEM.


Interesting my friend. Well, I once owned the e-Q7, and from memory it's not on the level of the Re262 (but it was a great IEM and is one of my favorites out of all of the ones I've heard)..... Is that T50RP (Paradox) very expensive?

 

post #117 of 342
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post


Interesting my friend. Well, I once owned the e-Q7, and from memory it's not on the level of the Re262 (but it was a great IEM and is one of my favorites out of all of the ones I've heard)..... Is that T50RP (Paradox) very expensive?


Yep, the e-Q5 (and e-Q7, by extension) is a different beast from the RE262.. comparatively more neutral/less colored.  The e-Q5 is simply a different flavor.  I'm impressed by it's technical abilities & more importantly, how musical it sounds while being neutral.

post #118 of 342

Okay, now with about 50 hours or better on 262 I am finally seeing that it doesn't sound bad directly into the Nano (now that the drivers have opened up quite a bit). Interesting... Another thing is that the 262 sounds like a mixture of warmth (SE530/W4) and analytical (HF5ish in the vocals) to my ears - just with more depth and details. Can't really grab a hold of the sound signature other than knowing I like it immensely. 

post #119 of 342
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

Okay, now with about 50 hours or better on 262 I am finally seeing that it doesn't sound bad directly into the Nano (now that the drivers have opened up quite a bit). Interesting... Another thing is that the 262 sounds like a mixture of warmth (SE530/W4) and analytical (HF5ish in the vocals) to my ears - just with more depth and details. Can't really grab a hold of the sound signature other than knowing I like it immensely. 



Interesting.  It's been a while since I last tried without an amp.  Both my O2 and E17 should be here in another week or two...

post #120 of 342

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

So, to me, the RE262 might as well be a giant set of headphones only good for home use,

 

I don't have a puppy, so I bring my RE262 to walk down the street, properly tied to a pocked-sized Practical Devices XM6 normal_smile%20.gif


Edited by Pingfloid - 1/9/12 at 9:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful