Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread - Page 72

post #1066 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), buyers remorse for $50 headphones.....LOL.

If you put a Sony label on the HSR-1000, they would easily sell for over $100.

I dont understand.. :/

post #1067 of 2126

That $50 is not exacly an amount that you can't overcome if these are not to your likings. That's why your "buyers remorse" come over a bit silly. If they were +$100 okay, but not at this price.

 

So just buy and try, worst case scenario you'll have to sell them and loose $15 on them. Get it ? ;)

post #1068 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoSpider View Post
 

I dont understand.. :/

 

I think he meant it would be hard to have buyers remorse due to the quality of the product at the price it goes for. Lots of more expensive headphones don't even sound as good. 

post #1069 of 2126

For some 50$ is a small amount and not something we worry to much about, BUT we must remember that that is not the case for a very big part of our worlds population, in some countries 50$ a month can mean the difference between life and death for a family...

 

Also for younger people it can be quite a big chunk of their pocketmoney.

 

So there is nothing wrong about buyers remorse at a 50$ bill...

post #1070 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus-DK View Post

For some 50$ is a small amount and not something we worry to much about, BUT we must remember that that is not the case for a very big part of our worlds population, in some countries 50$ a month can mean the difference between life and death for a family...

Also for younger people it can be quite a big chunk of their pocketmoney.

So there is nothing wrong about buyers remorse at a 50$ bill...

Agree with you!

As an example, a regular salary for someone who work 8 hours a day (except sundays) here in Argentina is about 4500 pesos.

Then if that person wants a pair of hd800, those will cost him/her more than three months of work (about 15000 pesos nowadays)

On the other hand there are many countries where the regular salary for that person (not a professional) is over the price of the hd800.

Just to say that 50 dollar headphones here are like 150 dollar headphones in other countries.

There are some countries where the relation is much more than 3 times, like the one in this case.

Best Luck!
post #1071 of 2126

Got the 2251 IEMs in from Takstar yesterday. Not bad at all. Needs some EQ on highs because it drops off a bit too much, but otherwise it has neutral bass and pretty solid mids.

post #1072 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus-DK View Post
 

For some 50$ is a small amount and not something we worry to much about, BUT we must remember that that is not the case for a very big part of our worlds population, in some countries 50$ a month can mean the difference between life and death for a family...

 

Also for younger people it can be quite a big chunk of their pocketmoney.

 

So there is nothing wrong about buyers remorse at a 50$ bill...

Yes this is exactly what I am trying to say. I am a student and $50 for a pair of headphones is quite expensive for me. I don't live in third world country, but i don't have a job.

 

Now could someone please answer my previous question and also in addition to the one below pls!

 

Quote:
 
Originally Posted by EvoSpider View Post
 

I am in a dilemma about which headphone to buy..

Here is my list:

 

JVC HARX 900

JVC HARX 700

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000)

Koss Pro DJ100

Sony MDR V6

Sony ZX700

 

I also considered the CAL!, but it has poor isolation..So that is taken out...

EDIT: I've heard that the V6 is quite neutral, so maybe that wouldn't be one of my choices.

 

Here is a reference to help me decide..

I mostly listen to EDM and today's pop music..

I prefer a bit more bass and highs..

I don't know if I'm saying this right, but I prefer a bigger/wider soundstage?

 

Thanks!

post #1073 of 2126

Bhazard: how does the Pro 80 compare with the Somic MH489 soundwise ?

post #1074 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teska View Post
 

Bhazard: how does the Pro 80 compare with the Somic MH489 soundwise ?

I haven't spent enough time with the 489 to truly make an impression, but here are the differences.

 

The MH489 has a bigger mid bass hump, so it may sound "fuller" and "warmer" without correction. The Pro 80 might extend deeper into the sub bass region though.

 

The Pro 80 has a sibilant peak somewhere in the highs that annoys the crap out of me, and has a dip at 4k or 7k. Once corrected, it sounds glorious. Accudio for iOS does this automatically with their Pro 80 setting.

 

The Pro 80 is more of a neutral studio monitor once corrected, compared to the more fun, R&B/Dance oriented sound of the 489. Haven't EQed the 489 enough to say if it can be neutral too.

 

Both sound best with a small headphone amp. I wouldn't get rid of either, especially for the price paid for each. The MH489 is a better sounding Sony XB500 with slightly less bass and better everything else.

 

The Takstar HD5500 is my current favorite, and is a steal if you can get it at $79. They say it is "bass and dance music oriented", which it is, but it is also suprisingly clear and almost neutral in everything else, which is unheard of for a "dance music oriented" headphone. I like it better than the HD6000. I think I'm one of the few people in the world outside of China that actually owns it.


Edited by bhazard - 10/29/13 at 9:52am
post #1075 of 2126

Three weeks ago I purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm. Ever since those have been getting most of the headtime. I was infact so impressed that when I got the opportunity to buy used T1 for a nice price I could not resist. I just had to find out how much better it could get. Anyway...now I have to sell the dt880 to fund T1. So I decided to do a little comparison between the beyers and Taksar HI2050 while I still can. I have owned the Takstar for allmost two years they are my favorite bang for the buck headphones. And I have heard many, check my profile if interested. Amp/dac used in this comparison is Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. Most music is high quality flac files but some are 320kbs mp3 through spotify premium. My purpose was to try many different genres but some are left out on purpose. For example I'm not comfortable reviewing gear when listening to piano music and jazz because im not familiar enough with those genres.

 

Takstar HI2050 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm

 

Build quality:

Beyers have better quality pads and the headband padding is more firmly in place. Other than that they're really close. Both are very comfortable but takstars headband might be small for people with huge heads. Not going to go into details about the build. I assume everyone knows this stuff by now.

 

The Sound:

The second I plugged the Takstar in I was shocked. Shocked because they sounded so good. I had completely forgotton. More I listened to Takstar's more I wondered why I had been so impressed by the dt880 for the past weeks. Eventually it was evident that dt880 is more of a sidegrade than upgrade to hi2050. Neither of these headphones is better than another. Takstars have more of a V shaped sound signature with more bass and emhasised highs. Beyers are fairly neutral in comparison. Soundstage presentation is good with both headphones but bit different. Takstars place the listener closer to the stage(not grado type of close of course) and with beyers it's more of a backseat ride.

 

When music most benefits from headphones imaging and soundstage abilities beyers came on top. I mostly listen to different varities of rock music and I feel these headphones to be evenly matched. It depends on the track being played. Neither one is genre master with rock.

When listening to pop and edm music where bass is vital takstars were better. As clearly as takstars are better with bassy music beyers were superior with fast aggressive metal music. If takstars highs weren't that over the top with metal music, I would say hi2050 is better allrounder...now it's a tie. With acoustic and most classical I'd go with beyers. With vocal oriented music I often preferred takstar's due to their ability to connect me emotionally to the music. I think that is propably because of the warmish sound of the of hi2050. 

I'll be back with a comparison between HI2050 and T1. Mostly I'm interested how close the sound signatures and tonality are. Someone said T1 sounds like mix of dt880 and hd600. That's how I feel about HI2050, except for the excessive highs. Here are some of the tracks I listened to, which headphone I preferred and why.

 

Whitney Houston: I will always love you

Beyers bring out the instruments more, takstars are more focused on vocals. Even performances.

 

Whitney Houston: I wanna dance with somebody

This song is a lot more fun with takstars. Bassier presentation suits this song better. I clearly preferred takstars.

 

Avicii: Wake me up

Again takstars bassier nature comes in handy. Even though synths sound bit muffled compared to beyers it's no contest. Takstars got my foot tapping beyers did not.

 

Katy perry: Roar
This song is not that bass driven pop piece so takstars don't benefit from being bassier headphone. On the other hand there is not that much detail or realism for beyers to deliver. I call it a tie. Both do a fine job.

 

Alicia Keys: Girl on fire

I think beyers present vocals slightly clearer. Difference is very subtle though. I am unable to determine which headphone I prefer. Presentation is very similar with takstar again being more bassier but luckily not overpowering.

 

skrillex: bangarang -feat. sirah

Hands down bassier takstars are better. Not gona do deeper analysis with this one. My ears find dubstep retarted.

 

Lady Gaga: Poker face

I thought I'd like takstars better here but actually beyers are better. Even though more bass would be in order beyers presentation is more rhytmic. Weird how usually the more fun sounding takstars are the duller sounding now. I think it might be because IMO track is mixed bad. Everything is quite cluttered and beyers do a better ripping apart instruments and different sounds from each other.

 

Massive Attack: angel

With this track sound signature differences are clearly audible. Takstars have more emphasis on subbass but beyers have more impact. Takstars do excellent job portraying the eerie atmosphere with warmish tone beyers achieve the same sensation through better soundstage, imaging and detail. Two different presentations both extremely good.

 

The Prodigy: Voodoo people (pendolum mix)

Neither of the headphones work well with this track. Beyers lack bass but with takstars treble gets splashy. I love this song and it's a shame that most headphones I have don't work with this piece. Perfect track for headphones such as sony xb500 that have recessed upper end.

 

Frank Sinatra: My way

Franks voice sounds more lifelike with beyers. With takstars it's harder to visually recreate performance in your mind. But overall takstars are more enjoyable. takstars have more dynamic, really euphonic presentation and emotionally more engaging. I like the takstar presentation better. Again it's a shame I don't have hd600 with me anymore. Would be nice to compare hi2050 to hd600 with this song.

 

Luciano Pavarotti: Nessun dorma

Again beyers sound more real and better in technical sense. But like with Sinatras my way I prefer more engaging presentation of takstars. This is one of those songs that I can really connect with right gear. Instead of listening to music I can feel it. With that Takstars outperform beyers with wide margin.

 

Antonio Vivaldi: Four seasons-spring

It's a matter of preference. Takstars have warmer presentation beyers have more airy sound to them. I like both and refuse to choose one over another. Usually beyers are better with classical but this particular piece has always been one of my favorites with HI2050.

 

AC/DC: Thunderstruck

I prefer takstars more energetic presentation. Treble is bit too much at times but im not that sensitive to high frequencies. Songs like these I prefer energy and bit more bass over imaging and soundstage.

 

Metallica: Enter Sandman

Here beyers perform clearly better. Takstar bass is on the verge of becoming boomy where as beyers maintain neutral through out the song.

 

Rebeca Pidgeon: Spanish Harlem

Weirdly beyers are bit sibilant with this track. Still I prefer beyers. Sense of space is better. Reflections from the walls are clearly audible. Bass plugs are more audible and  violins more airy.

 

Apocalyptica: Drive

Often these headphones sound very similar but with this song differences are obvious. Takstars are A LOT bassier here. Beyers are again airier and more neutral. I would go with beyers. Cellos are the main instruments here and airy presentation suits them better. Also Takstar bass is again very close to the limit it gets boomy. However I did enjoy takstars treble better.

 

Different tracks by Dark Tranquillity, Amorphis, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle Of Filth, Mayhem and many others

Beyers are definately better. With takstars highs get shrill and ear fatigue is guaranteed with longer listening. Takstar highs are too much for aggressive death/black metal.

 

Livingston Taylor: Grandma's hands

Beyers sound more natural. Even though it's easy to visualize the singer with takstars with beyers I'm able to "see" him smile.

 

Vangelis: Chariots Of Fire

Beyers bring out structure of the composation better but Takstars are more euphonic. Again matter of preference. I enjoy both a lot.

 

Yo-Yo Ma: Ecstacy Of Gold

Takstars do a great job but it can't match soundstage and instrument separation of beyers. Beyers are a easy pick here.

 

Ana Caram: Correnteza

Beyrs have more natural presentation, better imaging and soundstage but takstars sound more euphonic. I preferred takstars. It's a shame I don't have hd600 at the moment. Would have been nice to do a comparison with this track.

 

Eric Clapton: Tears In Heaven

Acoustic guitars sound more realistic with beyers. Difference is very subtle though. Overall I preferred beyers by a small margin.

 

Tracy Chapman: Bridges

I prefer beyers here but not by much. Guitars sound tiny bit better with beyers and with takstars Tracy's vocals sound slightly veiled.

 

C.C. Colletti

 

With this track takstars did better job with imaging debth but soundstage on beyers is more realistic. Takstars are alot bassier. I preferred takstars fuller and warmer presentation.

 

Eric Johnson: Cliffs of dover

I would choose beyers. Even though takstars sound really good the cymbals are too forward. Neither of the headphones are at their best here.

post #1076 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beocord View Post
 

Three weeks ago I purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm. Ever since those have been getting most of the headtime. I was infact so impressed that when I got the opportunity to buy used T1 for a nice price I could not resist. I just had to find out how much better it could get. Anyway...now I have to sell the dt880 to fund T1. So I decided to do a little comparison between the beyers and Taksar HI2050 while I still can. I have owned the Takstar for allmost two years they are my favorite bang for the buck headphones. And I have heard many, check my profile if interested. Amp/dac used in this comparison is Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. Most music is high quality flac files but some are 320kbs mp3 through spotify premium. My purpose was to try many different genres but some are left out on purpose. For example I'm not comfortable reviewing gear when listening to piano music and jazz because im not familiar enough with those genres.

 

Takstar HI2050 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm

 

Build quality:

Beyers have better quality pads and the headband padding is more firmly in place. Other than that they're really close. Both are very comfortable but takstars headband might be small for people with huge heads. Not going to go into details about the build. I assume everyone knows this stuff by now.

 

The Sound:

The second I plugged the Takstar in I was shocked. Shocked because they sounded so good. I had completely forgotton. More I listened to Takstar's more I wondered why I had been so impressed by the dt880 for the past weeks. Eventually it was evident that dt880 is more of a sidegrade than upgrade to hi2050. Neither of these headphones is better than another. Takstars have more of a V shaped sound signature with more bass and emhasised highs. Beyers are fairly neutral in comparison. Soundstage presentation is good with both headphones but bit different. Takstars place the listener closer to the stage(not grado type of close of course) and with beyers it's more of a backseat ride.

 

When music most benefits from headphones imaging and soundstage abilities beyers came on top. I mostly listen to different varities of rock music and I feel these headphones to be evenly matched. It depends on the track being played. Neither one is genre master with rock.

When listening to pop and edm music where bass is vital takstars were better. As clearly as takstars are better with bassy music beyers were superior with fast aggressive metal music. If takstars highs weren't that over the top with metal music, I would say hi2050 is better allrounder...now it's a tie. With acoustic and most classical I'd go with beyers. With vocal oriented music I often preferred takstar's due to their ability to connect me emotionally to the music. I think that is propably because of the warmish sound of the of hi2050.

I'll be back with a comparison between HI2050 and T1. Mostly I'm interested how close the sound signatures and tonality are. Someone said T1 sounds like mix of dt880 and hd600. That's how I feel about HI2050, except for the excessive highs. Here are some of the tracks I listened to, which headphone I preferred and why.

 

Whitney Houston: I will always love you

Beyers bring out the instruments more, takstars are more focused on vocals. Even performances.

 

Whitney Houston: I wanna dance with somebody

This song is a lot more fun with takstars. Bassier presentation suits this song better. I clearly preferred takstars.

 

Avicii: Wake me up

Again takstars bassier nature comes in handy. Even though synths sound bit muffled compared to beyers it's no contest. Takstars got my foot tapping beyers did not.

 

Katy perry: Roar
This song is not that bass driven pop piece so takstars don't benefit from being bassier headphone. On the other hand there is not that much detail or realism for beyers to deliver. I call it a tie. Both do a fine job.

 

Alicia Keys: Girl on fire

I think beyers present vocals slightly clearer. Difference is very subtle though. I am unable to determine which headphone I prefer. Presentation is very similar with takstar again being more bassier but luckily not overpowering.

 

skrillex: bangarang -feat. sirah

Hands down bassier takstars are better. Not gona do deeper analysis with this one. My ears find dubstep retarted.

 

Lady Gaga: Poker face

I thought I'd like takstars better here but actually beyers are better. Even though more bass would be in order beyers presentation is more rhytmic. Weird how usually the more fun sounding takstars are the duller sounding now. I think it might be because IMO track is mixed bad. Everything is quite cluttered and beyers do a better ripping apart instruments and different sounds from each other.

 

Massive Attack: angel

With this track sound signature differences are clearly audible. Takstars have more emphasis on subbass but beyers have more impact. Takstars do excellent job portraying the eerie atmosphere with warmish tone beyers achieve the same sensation through better soundstage, imaging and detail. Two different presentations both extremely good.

 

The Prodigy: Voodoo people (pendolum mix)

Neither of the headphones work well with this track. Beyers lack bass but with takstars treble gets splashy. I love this song and it's a shame that most headphones I have don't work with this piece. Perfect track for headphones such as sony xb500 that have recessed upper end.

 

Frank Sinatra: My way

Franks voice sounds more lifelike with beyers. With takstars it's harder to visually recreate performance in your mind. But overall takstars are more enjoyable. takstars have more dynamic, really euphonic presentation and emotionally more engaging. I like the takstar presentation better. Again it's a shame I don't have hd600 with me anymore. Would be nice to compare hi2050 to hd600 with this song.

 

Luciano Pavarotti: Nessun dorma

Again beyers sound more real and better in technical sense. But like with Sinatras my way I prefer more engaging presentation of takstars. This is one of those songs that I can really connect with right gear. Instead of listening to music I can feel it. With that Takstars outperform beyers with wide margin.

 

Antonio Vivaldi: Four seasons-spring

It's a matter of preference. Takstars have warmer presentation beyers have more airy sound to them. I like both and refuse to choose one over another. Usually beyers are better with classical but this particular piece has always been one of my favorites with HI2050.

 

AC/DC: Thunderstruck

I prefer takstars more energetic presentation. Treble is bit too much at times but im not that sensitive to high frequencies. Songs like these I prefer energy and bit more bass over imaging and soundstage.

 

Metallica: Enter Sandman

Here beyers perform clearly better. Takstar bass is on the verge of becoming boomy where as beyers maintain neutral through out the song.

 

Rebeca Pidgeon: Spanish Harlem

Weirdly beyers are bit sibilant with this track. Still I prefer beyers. Sense of space is better. Reflections from the walls are clearly audible. Bass plugs are more audible and  violins more airy.

 

Apocalyptica: Drive

Often these headphones sound very similar but with this song differences are obvious. Takstars are A LOT bassier here. Beyers are again airier and more neutral. I would go with beyers. Cellos are the main instruments here and airy presentation suits them better. Also Takstar bass is again very close to the limit it gets boomy. However I did enjoy takstars treble better.

 

Different tracks by Dark Tranquillity, Amorphis, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle Of Filth, Mayhem and many others

Beyers are definately better. With takstars highs get shrill and ear fatigue is guaranteed with longer listening. Takstar highs are too much for aggressive death/black metal.

 

Livingston Taylor: Grandma's hands

Beyers sound more natural. Even though it's easy to visualize the singer with takstars with beyers I'm able to "see" him smile.

 

Vangelis: Chariots Of Fire

Beyers bring out structure of the composation better but Takstars are more euphonic. Again matter of preference. I enjoy both a lot.

 

Yo-Yo Ma: Ecstacy Of Gold

Takstars do a great job but it can't match soundstage and instrument separation of beyers. Beyers are a easy pick here.

 

Ana Caram: Correnteza

Beyrs have more natural presentation, better imaging and soundstage but takstars sound more euphonic. I preferred takstars. It's a shame I don't have hd600 at the moment. Would have been nice to do a comparison with this track.

 

Eric Clapton: Tears In Heaven

Acoustic guitars sound more realistic with beyers. Difference is very subtle though. Overall I preferred beyers by a small margin.

 

Tracy Chapman: Bridges

I prefer beyers here but not by much. Guitars sound tiny bit better with beyers and with takstars Tracy's vocals sound slightly veiled.

 

C.C. Colletti

 

With this track takstars did better job with imaging debth but soundstage on beyers is more realistic. Takstars are alot bassier. I preferred takstars fuller and warmer presentation.

 

Eric Johnson: Cliffs of dover

I would choose beyers. Even though takstars sound really good the cymbals are too forward. Neither of the headphones are at their best here.

 

Wow, impressive post for someone with 28 posts..........I have the DT880 600 ohm and the Takstar HI2050, and I couldn't disagree more with your findings!

 

Your source and amp may be doing you a disservice!

post #1077 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post
 

 

Wow, impressive post for someone with 28 posts..........I have the DT880 600 ohm and the Takstar HI2050, and I couldn't disagree more with your findings!

 

Your source and amp may be doing you a disservice!

I love when people actually think post count automatically equals someone worthless. If someone like Jim Fosgate came in with 1 post, does that mean the man knows nothing about audio?

 

Share your impressions instead of being condescending. Maybe its YOUR amp?

post #1078 of 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post
 

 

Wow, impressive post for someone with 28 posts..........I have the DT880 600 ohm and the Takstar HI2050, and I couldn't disagree more with your findings!

 

Your source and amp may be doing you a disservice!


It is possible that xiang sheng is a bad match for dt880. It is possible beyers scale up alot with better system. BUT with this system to my ears quality difference between hi2050 and dt880 is minimal. Like I said, they sound different but none is better then another. However I did expect beyers to deliver more bass but on the other hand I can reach loud volumes easily. 9 o clock is loud. So I dunno if it can be underpowered... Maybe there is a bad synergy with neutral cans. I did had k701 with xiang sheng and hd600 sounded miles better. Actually thats and understatement, I hated k701.  Anyway I'd like to hear where you disagree with me most?

post #1079 of 2126

I agree with your findings and I have more than 1000 posts and 7 years membership...:atsmile:


Edited by Claus-DK - 11/3/13 at 5:39pm
post #1080 of 2126

I owned DT880 600 Ohm for a year and I had HI2050 at my home for a week of testing. I found DT880 as overall better headphones, more exact, with much better soundstage. HI2050 sounded me as 150 EUR headphones and DT880 as 250 EUR category. My meaning is that HI2050 are awesome for their price, but they aren't at the level of >200 EUR headphones.

 

I compared also DT880/600, HE-500 and T1. My result here was the same, T1 are better than DT880 in every aspect.

 

I mean also that Xiang Sheng DAC-01A could result to wiping differences between these headphones. When detail level is missing, differences aren't so evident and lack of detail clearly affects soundstage presentation. That price is too low for good quality DAC+AMP combo. I don't expect the USB transport and DAC section to perform on a level suitable for higher class headphones. I mean also that cheap tube amplifiers couldn't be suitable to match the quality of headphones like T1.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread