Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread - Page 136

post #2026 of 2348

-


Edited by Beocord - 6/29/14 at 4:05am
post #2027 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Rockwell View Post


You just take a piece of rope and shove it between the pad and the baffle to create a spacer.

Nice, will try it! But the rope won't fall out? BTW. I think that this mod is really neccesary not just for the sound but because the mesh is touching my ear and it's a bit annoying.

post #2028 of 2348

Got my HM5 pads! They're legendary! Thanks for the tip guys! :beyersmile:

 

 

post #2029 of 2348

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread for the last few days but didn't got a satisfactory answer. I'm in doubt if I should buy the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 or the Takstar PRO80 w/ HM5 pads.

 

I need above average isolation, NO harsh treble or sibilance (I'm very sensitive to those, slightly rolled off treble is actually welcome), very good midrange and punchy, controlled bass while keeping the focus on the mids. I listen mostly to classic rock (Dire Strais, Pink Floyd, Queen), modern rock (Franz Ferdinand, Black Keys, Muse), and then movie soundtracks (Inception, mostly Hans Zimmer) and more bass-light music (fado, Frank Sinatra, etc). 

 

Also, does amping make enough difference do even consider buying one? If yes, will the FiiO E6 do the job? I'll be driving them from a regular android phone.

 

Thanks in advance!

post #2030 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
 

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread for the last few days but didn't got a satisfactory answer. I'm in doubt if I should buy the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 or the Takstar PRO80 w/ HM5 pads.

 

I need above average isolation, NO harsh treble or sibilance (I'm very sensitive to those, slightly rolled off treble is actually welcome), very good midrange and punchy, controlled bass while keeping the focus on the mids. I listen mostly to classic rock (Dire Strais, Pink Floyd, Queen), modern rock (Franz Ferdinand, Black Keys, Muse), and then movie soundtracks (Inception, mostly Hans Zimmer) and more bass-light music (fado, Frank Sinatra, etc). 

 

Also, does amping make enough difference do even consider buying one? If yes, will the FiiO E6 do the job? I'll be driving them from a regular android phone.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Hmm.. I've tried both Brainwavz HM5 (Jaycar cans) and obviously own the Pro 80s. They do sound very similar. Maybe the Pro 80 has clearer highs. To my ears the Pro 80 is in no way sibilant or overwhelming in the highs. The biggest deal breaker for the HM5s is that enormous clamping force they have. I don't have a particularly big head, actually I've got a small head compare to pretty much any male I've met whos not a child, and this cans just "vice crush" your cranium. The Pro 80s in the other hand when you get the HM5 pads are like pillows firmly placed on you head.

In terms of amping. Yes it makes a difference, not huge, but noticeable and needed. I wouldn't suggest you get the Fiio E6 or E11, try to get the Topping NX1 while it's still in stock in some places.

post #2031 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScope View Post
 

 

Hmm.. I've tried both Brainwavz HM5 (Jaycar cans) and obviously own the Pro 80s. They do sound very similar. Maybe the Pro 80 has clearer highs. To my ears the Pro 80 is in no way sibilant or overwhelming in the highs. The biggest deal breaker for the HM5s is that enormous clamping force they have. I don't have a particularly big head, actually I've got a small head compare to pretty much any male I've met whos not a child, and this cans just "vice crush" your cranium. The Pro 80s in the other hand when you get the HM5 pads are like pillows firmly placed on you head.

In terms of amping. Yes it makes a difference, not huge, but noticeable and needed. I wouldn't suggest you get the Fiio E6 or E11, try to get the Topping NX1 while it's still in stock in some places.

 

many thanks for your answer. When you say "clearer" highs do you mean more detailed? if so it is good news. And yeah, I've heard the HM5 are almost crushing, fortunately the NVX doesn't have that problem.

 

Why do you say E6 or even E11 are not worth it? I'm asking because I can get the E6 for a less than half of the Topping NX1 (20€ vs 50€, I live in Portugal and I need to ship everything from other countries), and I really don't want to spend that much money on an amp (I didn't even want to buy one, but I guess there aren't many different headphones that match these two for the price and have low impedances. In case you know any please give me a hand). 

post #2032 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
 

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread for the last few days but didn't got a satisfactory answer. I'm in doubt if I should buy the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 or the Takstar PRO80 w/ HM5 pads.

 

I need above average isolation, NO harsh treble or sibilance (I'm very sensitive to those, slightly rolled off treble is actually welcome), very good midrange and punchy, controlled bass while keeping the focus on the mids. I listen mostly to classic rock (Dire Strais, Pink Floyd, Queen), modern rock (Franz Ferdinand, Black Keys, Muse), and then movie soundtracks (Inception, mostly Hans Zimmer) and more bass-light music (fado, Frank Sinatra, etc). 

 

Also, does amping make enough difference do even consider buying one? If yes, will the FiiO E6 do the job? I'll be driving them from a regular android phone.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

I find that the Gemini HSR-1000/Pro80 (with HM5 pads) clamps tighter than the XPT100.  The tighter clamping would offer better isolation, however marginally.

 

They both sound very good and I have no complaints.

 

Only you can decide if you need to amp, based upon your sound source.  For me, no need for an amp with my MP3 player (tested with and without Fiio 6).

 

I think you would be very happy with whichever of these two that you decide upon.  However, remember that with the XPT100 you get a 1.2M cord and 3.0M cord, both are straight and removable; and two sets of very comfortable ear pads and a protective carry case.  You will have to purchase HM5 pads separately for the Gemini HSR-1000/Pro80; which has an attached, coiled cable.

 

Something else to consider:

 

California Silverado headphones ... metal and leather ... with a leather case.

 

For the current price of $49 with free shipping, they are a very good value.  Got one a week ago and very happy with the sound quality and the build quality is outstanding....very spiffy looking.

 

http://www.amazon.com/California-Headphone-Co-CHC-SILVERADO-Headphones/dp/B009F4BV8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404431424&sr=8-1&keywords=california+headphone

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663309/california-headphones-silverado-impressions


Edited by cdeviney - 7/3/14 at 5:11pm
post #2033 of 2348
@rebelinho IMO you do not need to amp the Pro 80s (but they will benefit from one), they are easy enough to drive and are efficient but I would recommend them for a home setup because of the coiled cable.

The Brainwavz might give you more flexibility of portability. So you need to evaluate your priority. SQ wise I an only vouch for the Pro80s.

Cheers!
post #2034 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taveren View Post

@rebelinho IMO you do not need to amp the Pro 80s (but they will benefit from one), they are easy enough to drive and are efficient but I would recommend them for a home setup because of the coiled cable.

The Brainwavz might give you more flexibility of portability. So you need to evaluate your priority. SQ wise I an only vouch for the Pro80s.

Cheers!

 

Needed or not, I will only get an amp after buying and testing the headphones, that's for sure. And I'll use them mainly at home and on long trains trips (around 5 hours), so portability isn't very important. They do need to have a hard case for convenient transportation. Thanks for you help ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeviney View Post
 

 

I find that the Gemini HSR-1000/Pro80 (with HM5 pads) clamps tighter than the XPT100.  The tighter clamping would offer better isolation, however marginally.

 

They both sound very good and I have no complaints.

 

Only you can decide if you need to amp, based upon your sound source.  For me, no need for an amp with my MP3 player (tested with and without Fiio 6).

 

I think you would be very happy with whichever of these two that you decide upon.  However, remember that with the XPT100 you get a 1.2M cord and 3.0M cord, both are straight and removable; and two sets of very comfortable ear pads and a protective carry case.  You will have to purchase HM5 pads separately for the Gemini HSR-1000/Pro80; which has an attached, coiled cable.

 

I like tight clamps, it makes me feel like the HP are secured and wont fall from my head. Not really a big concern though.

 

As for the cables there is a really easy and cheap DIY mod for the Takstar, so no problems there. And they are single sided, which is a plus. Also if I get them it will be from MP4NT, and they include the hard case from Brainwavz with the headphones. The only thing that would be missing is the earpads. After all the buys, the final prices would be:

 

NVX + 2 cables + 2 sets of pads hard case from Brainwavz + NVX EX10S (it is a promo package, XPT100 + EX10S, these IEMs are just like a GR06, not that I need something that good) = 140€ + customs, probably.

 

Takstar + HM5 pads + hard case from Brainwavz + soft case + cable mod + Phillips SHE3590 = 95€

 

Which package would you chose?


Edited by rebelinho - 7/3/14 at 4:58pm
post #2035 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
 

 

many thanks for your answer. When you say "clearer" highs do you mean more detailed? if so it is good news. And yeah, I've heard the HM5 are almost crushing, fortunately the NVX doesn't have that problem.

 

Why do you say E6 or even E11 are not worth it? I'm asking because I can get the E6 for a less than half of the Topping NX1 (20€ vs 50€, I live in Portugal and I need to ship everything from other countries), and I really don't want to spend that much money on an amp (I didn't even want to buy one, but I guess there aren't many different headphones that match these two for the price and have low impedances. In case you know any please give me a hand). 

 

Clear as in more extended and detailed. 

 

The E6 isn't really an amp, it's more of a EQ filter than anything. Where the E11 is an actually amp but IMO it doesn't pair well with the Pro 80 and the HM5 is a slightly warm can. The E11 is best used with cold cans IMO because of it's warmness. With the Pro 80 the E11 makes the bass too fluid and boomy, but the NX1 makes the bass tight and somewhat more controlled. 

Have a look at my: LINK and Xtralglactic's: PART 1 & PART 2 comparison between the 2 amps. 

post #2036 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
 

 

Needed or not, I will only get an amp after buying and testing the headphones, that's for sure. And I'll use them mainly at home and on long trains trips (around 5 hours), so portability isn't very important. They do need to have a hard case for convenient transportation. Thanks for you help ;)

 

 

I like tight clamps, it makes me feel like the HP are secured and wont fall from my head. Not really a big concern though.

 

As for the cables there is a really easy and cheap DIY mod for the Takstar, so no problems there. And they are single sided, which is a plus. Also if I get them it will be from MP4NT, and they include the hard case from Brainwavz with the headphones. The only thing that would be missing is the earpads. After all the buys, the final prices would be:

 

NVX + 2 cables + 2 sets of pads hard case from Brainwavz + NVX EX10S (it is a promo package, XPT100 + EX10S, these IEMs are just like a GR06, not that I need something that good) = 140€ + customs, probably.

 

Takstar + HM5 pads + hard case from Brainwavz + soft case + cable mod + Phillips SHE3590 = 95€

 

Which package would you chose?

 

PS. The Takstar Pro 80 comes with an awesome protective case as standard. I don't leave home without it! :D

 

post #2037 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScope View Post

 

Clear as in more extended and detailed. 

 

The E6 isn't really an amp, it's more of a EQ filter than anything. Where the E11 is an actually amp but IMO it doesn't pair well with the Pro 80 and the HM5 is a slightly warm can. The E11 is best used with cold cans IMO because of it's warmness. With the Pro 80 the E11 makes the bass too fluid and boomy, but the NX1 makes the bass tight and somewhat more controlled. 

Have a look at my: LINK and Xtralglactic's: PART 1 & PART 2 comparison between the 2 amps. 

 

I keep talking about the E6 not only because they are dirty cheap, but in here http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared they have a fairly great evaluation. I understand amps don't work the same way with all headphones (I must admit I am completely clueless about these matter of amping), and if you say they don't match, I'll believe you. If I get the Pro80, which is likely to happen, and see the sound doesn't satisfy me, I'll have a look at the NX1. Let's hope the stocks don't run empty by then.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJScope View Post

 

PS. The Takstar Pro 80 comes with an awesome protective case as standard. I don't leave home without it! :D

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Yeah, I've seen it before. Really professional looking. Unfortunately MP4NT don't includ it as the sipping cost would be mich bigger. So they offer this one:

 

post #2038 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post

I keep talking about the E6 not only because they are dirty cheap, but in here http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared they have a fairly great evaluation. I understand amps don't work the same way with all headphones (I must admit I am completely clueless about these matter of amping), and if you say they don't match, I'll believe you. If I get the Pro80, which is likely to happen, and see the sound doesn't satisfy me, I'll have a look at the NX1. Let's hope the stocks don't run empty by then.


Yeah, I've seen it before. Really professional looking. Unfortunately MP4NT don't includ it as the sipping cost would be mich bigger. So they offer this one:



It true that the Takstar sound perfectly fine as is. That's without the HM5 pads or amping. But because they so cheap and these things that are obvious upgrade are so cheap as well you kind of come to the "why not" conclusion.

Also, the way I look at buying an amp is an investment for future upgrades. If you ever decide to buy better cans, you'll have an amp ready and waiting. This is why I bought the Fiio E17.

That sucks that you don't get the case. It was one of the reasons I chose the Pro 80.
post #2039 of 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScope View Post


It true that the Takstar sound perfectly fine as is. That's without the HM5 pads or amping. But because they so cheap and these things that are obvious upgrade are so cheap as well you kind of come to the "why not" conclusion.

Also, the way I look at buying an amp is an investment for future upgrades. If you ever decide to buy better cans, you'll have an amp ready and waiting. This is why I bought the Fiio E17.

That sucks that you don't get the case. It was one of the reasons I chose the Pro 80.

 

you have a point, the NX1 seems to be good enough for any future HP upgrades. I'll see what I can do... 

 

I want the HM5 pads to improve comfort, I have large ears and the extra depth and space is welcome

 

thank you all for your help, you have been the most helpful

post #2040 of 2348

OK so I've finished my evaluation of the sound difference when using HM5 pads on the Takstar Pro 80. It pretty much changes the sound so much that you may as well it a different name.

The sound signature stays about the same overall.

 

  • The biggest noticeable change is the bass. The bass becomes boomier, more noticeable and forward, this is a change I didn't like at first and thanks to my E17 I reduced the bass back to 0db and it sounds sweet.
  • Second major difference is the sound stage. Because the drivers are now further away from my ears and the sound chamber is now larger, things now seem to be further away and some elements quieter than usual. Also a noticeable depth perception change, the perceived "in-front" and "behind" sound elements are now very noticeably all around you, where they're supposed to be. 
  • The sound isolation goes to 99%. I mean when you play the music loud and just lightly press the left and right cups together to form a seal, it just goes mute. Problem is, now when I use my cans at work, I cannot hear anyone calling my name. Today at work I had people running up to me waving their hands in the air like they just don't care to get my attention. That good.
  • You lose a little bit of the high range sharpness. Highs become a lot smoother. I raised the treble on the E17 to 4db to fix this and in return I got the delight of much needed extra airiness and sense of space. 

 

Overall, this is the best upgrade on the Pro 80 that you can do to improve the sound. Even a better upgrade than getting an amp. 

 

:beerchug: CHEERS!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread