Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread - Page 109

post #1621 of 2670

Thanks. I'll leave them running on my old Sansa for the next few days. 

After a couple of hours of use they started to open up a bit and sound quite good. The highs have smoothed out a little and aren't as edgy and the bass seems a bit more fleshed out.

All in all they're quite a good performer, especially on more modern music.

On acoustic stuff they don't quite do it for me, at least not yet.

 

And on a weird note: they sound somewhat "spatially limited", if I can say so, more akin to a closed headphone rather than an open headphone.

Soundstage size on its own is not bad, but the presentation is somewhat lacking.

The spatial cues and details are there but there seems to be something in the way, limiting this headphone from projecting a nice and focused image.

I suspect it has something to do with microdynamics and the speed of this drivers, which so far seem a bit compressed. Hopefully that will improve with burn in.

post #1622 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post
 

Has anyone owned both gemini 1k and takstar 80? Can you confirm they are indeed the same?  i saw the graph for the 80's today, and it's waaay different from the gemini graph.

They're supposed to be exactly the same.  If they are different, that changes everything!

post #1623 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post
 

Thanks. I'll leave them running on my old Sansa for the next few days.

After a couple of hours of use they started to open up a bit and sound quite good. The highs have smoothed out a little and aren't as edgy and the bass seems a bit more fleshed out.

All in all they're quite a good performer, especially on more modern music.

On acoustic stuff they don't quite do it for me, at least not yet.

 

And on a weird note: they sound somewhat "spatially limited", if I can say so, more akin to a closed headphone rather than an open headphone.

Sound stage size on its own is not bad, but the presentation is somewhat lacking.

The spatial cues and details are there but there seems to be something in the way, limiting this headphone from projecting a nice and focused image.

I suspect it has something to do with microdynamics and the speed of this drivers, which so far seem a bit compressed. Hopefully that will improve with burn in.

Just to put things in perspective I paid $37.00 for these shipped to my door! With that in mind I feel they are an amazing value and mine do well with acoustic music so hopefully things will improve for you. They lack a refinement in the high frequencies and can get a little ragged at times with certain material but at this price point (IMHO) I think they are musical and fun to listen to. As always a good source and amp go a long way to helping them sound their best. Give them time I almost gave up on mine but am glad I didn't!

post #1624 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADCAM View Post
 

Just to put things in perspective I paid $37.00 for these shipped to my door! With that in mind I feel they are an amazing value and mine do well with acoustic music so hopefully things will improve for you. They lack a refinement in the high frequencies and can get a little ragged at times with certain material but at this price point (IMHO) I think they are musical and fun to listen to. As always a good source and amp go a long way to helping them sound their best. Give them time I almost gave up on mine but am glad I didn't!

 

Sure, I'm not expecting them to perform miracles.

I've been buying low budget "over-achievers" for a a few years (Superlux, Somic, JVC, Xears, etc).

It's a cheap way to keep things interesting headphone-wise.

 

Some I really liked, some I've modded and others I sold (/will sell) or gave away to friends or family.

For Takstars for example I've paid bit more than 50$. Just considering the cost of similar Beyerdynamics pads (which are also compatible with some of my other headphones), makes the purchase worthwhile regardless of how well or bad they sound.

I intend to do the same for Pioneer se-a1000, if I can find a good deal or a used pair.

 

But getting back on the subject of the 2050's sound, the reference I'm using is my favorite cheap cans - Superlux 668B and Somic MH463.

At this stage they both seem to play better than the 2050 does. However both headphones are modded, while the Takstar is not even burned in.

I wasn't very taken by the Somics either in the first week I had them. So things can change.


Edited by Bobby S - 3/10/14 at 12:11pm
post #1625 of 2670
Hey bobby, are you saying the d770 pads work on the takstar?
post #1626 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

Hey bobby, are you saying the d770 pads work on the takstar?

Sorry I've made a confusion there. I meant to say DT880 style pads. I'll edit the message, cause it will just amplify the confusion.

 

I know some Beyer models have a sort of plastic ring under the pads and others don't. The one's I'm referring to are without.

 

The point I was trying to make is that the Takstars are well worth the price for pads alone.  

Being essentially the same as the Beyer pads I bought from thomann.de for my Samson SR850 ( http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt990_pro_velourohrpolster.htm ).

These pads, as the Takstar's,  are compatible with all my other k240-style headphones too.

 

I don't own Beyerdynamics so I cannot say with any confidence what models are compatible with the 2050 pads.


Edited by Bobby S - 3/10/14 at 12:13pm
post #1627 of 2670
So are you saying you purchased the 880 pads and they fit on The takstar?
post #1628 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

So are you saying you purchased the 880 pads and they fit on The takstar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post

Sorry I've made a confusion there. I meant to say DT880 style pads. I'll edit the message, cause it will just amplify the confusion.

I know some Beyer models have a sort of plastic ring under the pads and others don't. The one's I'm referring to are without.

The point I was trying to make is that the Takstars are well worth the price for pads alone.  
Being essentially the same as the Beyer pads I bought from thomann.de for my Samson SR850 ( http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt990_pro_velourohrpolster.htm ).
These pads, as the Takstar's,  are compatible with all my other k240-style headphones too.

I don't own Beyerdynamics so I cannot say with any confidence what models are compatible with the 2050 pads.

The Beyer pads fit but not exactly, They fit perfectly from top to bottom but they're thin going side to side. You have to be careful on how your take them on and off, grip the top and bottom of the hp cups, unless you like reinstalling pads constantly. smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post

Sure, I'm not expecting them to perform miracles.
I've been buying low budget "over-achievers" for a a few years (Superlux, Somic, JVC, Xears, etc).
It's a cheap way to keep things interesting headphone-wise.

Some I really liked, some I've modded and others I sold (/will sell) or gave away to friends or family.
For Takstars for example I've paid bit more than 50$. Just considering the cost of similar Beyerdynamics pads (which are also compatible with some of my other headphones), makes the purchase worthwhile regardless of how well or bad they sound.
I intend to do the same for Pioneer se-a1000, if I can find a good deal or a used pair.

But getting back on the subject of the 2050's sound, the reference I'm using is my favorite cheap cans - Superlux 668B and Somic MH463.
At this stage they both seem to play better than the 2050 does. However both headphones are modded, while the Takstar is not even burned in.
I wasn't very taken by the Somics either in the first week I had them. So things can change.
I had the Somic MH463 too at one point, they never grew on me. I liked the 2050s almost instantly. I got the Technical Pro rebrand that came with a nice case for $50. I modded them as well, replaced internal wiring, removable jack, tried dampening but preferred it as is. The soundstage doesn't get any bigger, it's definitely not as wide as the MH463s but it never bothered me. They're good cans overall regardless of price. Build wise... I got what I paid. biggrin.gif
Edited by MrEleventy - 3/10/14 at 1:00pm
post #1629 of 2670
Quote:
 Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

So are you saying you purchased the 880 pads and they fit on The takstar?

No.

I'm saying the Takstar pads are virtually identical to the Beyer pads I bought for the Samson headphones.

And I've also tried the 2050 pads on the  Samsons, and they fit exactly the same as the Beyers.

I haven't tried the Beyer pads on the Takstars, but they'll probably work just fine.

 

That being said, I need to point out that Beyer pads vary quite a bit between different versions of DT770, 880 and 990 and their pro conterparts.

And given the fact I don't own any of these headphones I have no clue which ones are compatible with Takstar pads and viceversa.


Edited by Bobby S - 3/10/14 at 1:13pm
post #1630 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post

No.
I'm saying the Takstar pads are virtually identical to the Beyer pads I bought for the Samson headphones.
And I've also tried the 2050 pads on the  Samsons, and they fit exactly the same as the Beyers.
I haven't tried the Beyer pads on the Takstars, but they'll probably work just fine.

That being said, I need to point out that Beyer pads vary quite a bit between different versions of DT770, 880 and 990 and their pro conterparts.
And given the fact I don't own any of these headphones I have no clue which ones are compatible with Takstar pads and viceversa.
The fit is the same. 880 and 990 pads are identical, The 770s use a denser foam so it has better isolation and has more bass. A more exact fit would be the shure pads, HPAEC940 for velour and HPAEC840 for leather. I think the Beyer DT240 pads might fit as well.
post #1631 of 2670
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

I had the Somic MH463 too at one point, they never grew on me. I liked the 2050s almost instantly. I got the Technical Pro rebrand that came with a nice case for $50. I modded them as well, replaced internal wiring, removable jack, tried dampening but preferred it as is. The soundstage doesn't get any bigger, it's definitely not as wide as the MH463s but it never bothered me. They're good cans overall regardless of price. Build wise... I got what I paid. biggrin.gif

 

I see you have quite a collection of Beyers and from that perspective I can understand your preference for the Takstars.

I tend to gravitate more towards the AKG Kx01 and Sennheiser HD6xx sound, and from that perspective the Somics and Superluxes are more appealing for my ears.

But nonetheless the Takstars are a lot of headphone for the money.  Build wise they're far better engineered than Superluxes are for example, and I have owned more expensive headphones which were built more poorly and/or sounded worse.

 

In terms of modding I want to give the 2050's a few more days to settle in and for me to get used to their sound.

One thing I am inclined to try is drilling some vent holes in the rear side of the cup (where I've put the red dots) to make the Takstars fully open-backed headphones.

 

post #1632 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post
 

 

Sure, I'm not expecting them to perform miracles.

I've been buying low budget "over-achievers" for a a few years (Superlux, Somic, JVC, Xears, etc).

It's a cheap way to keep things interesting headphone-wise.

 

Some I really liked, some I've modded and others I sold (/will sell) or gave away to friends or family.

For Takstars for example I've paid bit more than 50$. Just considering the cost of similar Beyerdynamics pads (which are also compatible with some of my other headphones), makes the purchase worthwhile regardless of how well or bad they sound.

I intend to do the same for Pioneer se-a1000, if I can find a good deal or a used pair.

 

But getting back on the subject of the 2050's sound, the reference I'm using is my favorite cheap cans - Superlux 668B and Somic MH463.

At this stage they both seem to play better than the 2050 does. However both headphones are modded, while the Takstar is not even burned in.

I wasn't very taken by the Somics either in the first week I had them. So things can change.

I have the HD668b's also and really like them, I replaced the stock pads with some black velour's I found on EBay and they worked out great. I purchased another pair of black velour's here and the foam was too dense and made them sound weird. Funny thing is the seller was selling them as Beyer DT880 replacements. I never heard the Somics...always wanted to try them but I have a big head and heard they are not good for people like me. I see you have tube and SS amps, I feel the HI2050's sound great on my O2 but I do occasionally run them through my tube amp. I think you are going to like them, I believe they sound better than the Superlux and get more time on my head.

post #1633 of 2670
Ok, thanks for the clarification guys. I'll try some new pads in attempt to add bass to these babies. I still can't get over how amazing these sound. If I wasn't a basshead I would be completely satisfied with these, and not look for an upgrade until the $300 range.
post #1634 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADCAM View Post

 I never heard the Somics...always wanted to try them but I have a big head and heard they are not good for people like me. I see you have tube and SS amps, I feel the HI2050's sound great on my O2 but I do occasionally run them through my tube amp. I think you are going to like them, I believe they sound better than the Superlux and get more time on my head.

 

The Somics have indeed a comfort problem. The stock pads are too shallow and the ears end up touching the inside of the cup. Also they're a bit heavier than average and that only adds to the discomfort.

Replacing the stock pads with something better (Shure or AT pads) will largely solve the issue.

I have modified mine a bit more, by coating the cups (underneath the pads) with silicone, to push the pads further out and have a bit more space for the ear inside.


Edited by Bobby S - 3/10/14 at 2:06pm
post #1635 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post

I see you have quite a collection of Beyers and from that perspective I can understand your preference for the Takstars.
I tend to gravitate more towards the AKG Kx01 and Sennheiser HD6xx sound, and from that perspective the Somics and Superluxes are more appealing for my ears.
But nonetheless the Takstars are a lot of headphone for the money.  Build wise they're far better engineered than Superluxes are for example, and I have owned more expensive headphones which were built more poorly and/or sounded worse.

In terms of modding I want to give the 2050's a few more days to settle in and for me to get used to their sound.
One thing I am inclined to try is drilling some vent holes in the rear side of the cup (where I've put the red dots) to make the Takstars fully open-backed headphones.


Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Beyer house sound. I've tried the HD600 and wasn't a fan. Never tried the AKGs but, I do want to try them out one day. biggrin.gif Hmm, never thought to put more vent holes in them. Do keep us informed if you do mod them.

On the Somic MH463s, I found them a bit top heavy so I pulled back the headband sleeve and found a giant thick piece of plastic. Ripped it out and stuffed it with some cushion foam and it was way more comfortable and lighter. And swapped out the pads. Stock pads were too mushy.
Edited by MrEleventy - 3/10/14 at 2:45pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread