Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread - Page 73

post #1081 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogi View Post
 

That price is too low for good quality DAC+AMP combo. I don't expect the USB transport and DAC section to perform on a level suitable for higher class headphones. I mean also that cheap tube amplifiers couldn't be suitable to match the quality of headphones like T1.

Equating the price of an amp/dac to quality is ignorant. Did you know a $50 HifimeDIY DAC and $20 Lepai amp can drive the HE-500 better than several $1,000 headphone amp/dacs? I hope you don't actually fall for $200+ cables either.

post #1082 of 2346

I mean the products you mentioned can be very good for their price in the same way as for example HI2050 are.

I prefer DIY cables.


Edited by bogi - 11/5/13 at 1:08pm
post #1083 of 2346

maybe I was joking a bit with the post thing, just tried to show the reversed thing and how grotesque it is..

 

My next argument would be "I got 1000 posts more than you so I am right" 

post #1084 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogi View Post
 

I owned DT880 600 Ohm for a year and I had HI2050 at my home for a week of testing. I found DT880 as overall better headphones, more exact, with much better soundstage. HI2050 sounded me as 150 EUR headphones and DT880 as 250 EUR category. My meaning is that HI2050 are awesome for their price, but they aren't at the level of >200 EUR headphones.

 

I compared also DT880/600, HE-500 and T1. My result here was the same, T1 are better than DT880 in every aspect.

 

I mean also that Xiang Sheng DAC-01A could result to wiping differences between these headphones. When detail level is missing, differences aren't so evident and lack of detail clearly affects soundstage presentation. That price is too low for good quality DAC+AMP combo. I don't expect the USB transport and DAC section to perform on a level suitable for higher class headphones. I mean also that cheap tube amplifiers couldn't be suitable to match the quality of headphones like T1.


 Dt880 is definately a better headphone than hi2050. It has more precise imaging, more realistic tibmre, bass is more naturall,  everything sounds more transparent. But those differences are small....dt880 is better headphone technically, in every aspect, but by a small margin. But I enjoy takstar better with my way or nessun dorma.. Takstars have the "something" that makes great headphones awesome. I feel that lack of detail, soundstage etc is compensated by the more enjoybale listening experience. So in my books... its a tie between hi2050-dt880. Don't kill me but this kind of reminds me of reviews about sr009 vs orpheus. 009 is is superior every measureable but it's the things that can't be measured that make the orpheus (perhaps) a better headphone.

post #1085 of 2346

LOL

post #1086 of 2346

In the end it all boils down to TASTE..

I know that my STAX SR007 is a better phone then my DX1000 from JVC, but if I was forced to make a choice between those, there would be no doubt I would pick the cheaper and "inferior" headphone, because they suit my personal taste better..

 

I if I was forced to choose between DT880 and Hi2050, I would also pick the cheaper phone..

 

We can discuss technicalities and such till the cows comes in and end up thinking the other part is a moran, but it does not really bring anyone any good, because it is not possible to discuss taste, it is like with the girls, some like the daugther, some the mother, there are even those who want both and it is all GOOD...

post #1087 of 2346

LOL

post #1088 of 2346

Hey all, first time poster here. Just wanted to jump in and give a "first impressions" review of the Takstar HI2050 that finally arrived at my door today. I don't have much experience with headphones, but I'm seeing myself being pretty hooked into the hobby, fundage permitting).

I'll start by saying I haven't heard many "audiophile" cans. Some mid-range Sennheisers and various others are about the extent of my headphone experience. That being said, I know what I want out of sound and I will obsessively milk any piece of hardware I have for all it's worth. I got the HI2050 headphones because my Razer Orca headphones bit the dust when I botched a re-cable job. They were very good headphones for the price, very comfortable with nice bass, good soundstage and a very airy sound with vocals. They weren't neutral headphones by any means, but once burned in they gave a fun listening experience. I've heard some people dog on them because they are "gaming headphones", but I think that's a ridiculous claim. Build quality was a big issue though.

 

My head-fi setup as of now only consists of the Takstar HI2050 headphones running through a Blue Yeti USB mic (VERY good mic if you're looking for a USB recording solution). The mic works as a built-in amp/DAC combo, limited to 24-bit/48khz. Nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done with driving these headphones for now. I'm playing music through uLilith WASAPI with the head-fit VST (best crossfeed IMO).

I tested these with every kind of music I could think of, highlighting:

- Animals as Leaders

- Emerson Lake and Palmer

- Kathryn Calder (beautiful airy vocals, check her out on youtube)

- Bach 

- Fleetwood Mac 

- Del the Funky Homosapien 

- The Kilmanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble

- Consider the Source

- Enya

- Aphex Twin

 

Okay, on to my impressions:

 

Build quality: Very good, especially considering how light they are. The aluminum forks really make this thing feel sturdy. The velour pads are somewhat cheap feeling, but the build/price/weight ratio here is great. Plastic cable is thick and feels plenty durable.

 

Comfort: I have a reasonably small head, and overall these fit great out of the box. Despite the cheap-ish feel of the velour pads, they are still very comfortable and fit nicely around my ears. The clamping force is a little tight, but I'm sure that will go away with some regular use.

 

Loudness: I wouldn't even have added this category, but it surprised me at how quiet these headphones were when connected directly into the audio jack on my computer. While listenable, it definitely wasn't loud enough to instill that "escape from reality" jamming experience. Amping is definitely recommended, especially given the semi-open nature of these headphones.

 

Sound: These are pretty neutral headphones to my somewhat untrained ears, with a rise at the high end of the spectrum. The bass isn't boomy at all like my Razer headphones; it's much more tight and controlled sounding, which is much better for most music IMO. The sibilance issues that others have claimed are there, but they're not ear-splitting. You can get rid of this with some EQ tweaking, but that affects the overall detailing of the sound so I'm hoping everyone is right in that it goes away with burn-in. I honestly didn't care for the sound when I first listened to them, I was very underwhelmed with the lack of airy sound and smallish soundstage. I can't tell if I'm changing or the headphones are changing (likely both) but I'm enjoying them more and more as I listen. They really seem to be opening up, only a few hours later. Likely psycho-acoustic, but noteworthy nonetheless. They sound a bit busy with any music that has an abundance of splashy cymbals, like a lot of metal and rock, and it makes it sound somewhat dirty. I think this is also due to the sibilance, so if it really does go away with burn-in, then this is a non-issue. The detail in these phones is great, I actually didn't recognize the intro to a Queens of the Stone Age song I've heard 100 times because there was so much more clarity than what I'm used to.

 

Overall: I'm very pleased with the quality of these headphones for the money. They are sounding smoother and prettier by the minute and I'm very much looking forward to how they sound once they're burned in. They likely won't compete with the big guys that everyone raves about, but I took a chance for $50 and I'm glad I did. I'll likely be adding some more budget-fi components to my budding hobby at some point, more than likely a cMoy amp and a HifimeDIY Sabre DAC. And of course any can I can get my hands on. Thanks for the read!

post #1089 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtythekid View Post
 

Hey all, first time poster here. Just wanted to jump in and give a "first impressions" review of the Takstar HI2050 that finally arrived at my door today. I don't have much experience with headphones, but I'm seeing myself being pretty hooked into the hobby, fundage permitting).

I'll start by saying I haven't heard many "audiophile" cans. Some mid-range Sennheisers and various others are about the extent of my headphone experience. That being said, I know what I want out of sound and I will obsessively milk any piece of hardware I have for all it's worth. I got the HI2050 headphones because my Razer Orca headphones bit the dust when I botched a re-cable job. They were very good headphones for the price, very comfortable with nice bass, good soundstage and a very airy sound with vocals. They weren't neutral headphones by any means, but once burned in they gave a fun listening experience. I've heard some people dog on them because they are "gaming headphones", but I think that's a ridiculous claim. Build quality was a big issue though.

 

My head-fi setup as of now only consists of the Takstar HI2050 headphones running through a Blue Yeti USB mic (VERY good mic if you're looking for a USB recording solution). The mic works as a built-in amp/DAC combo, limited to 24-bit/48khz. Nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done with driving these headphones for now. I'm playing music through uLilith WASAPI with the head-fit VST (best crossfeed IMO).

I tested these with every kind of music I could think of, highlighting:

- Animals as Leaders

- Emerson Lake and Palmer

- Kathryn Calder (beautiful airy vocals, check her out on youtube)

- Bach 

- Fleetwood Mac 

- Del the Funky Homosapien 

- The Kilmanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble

- Consider the Source

- Enya

- Aphex Twin

 

Okay, on to my impressions:

 

Build quality: Very good, especially considering how light they are. The aluminum forks really make this thing feel sturdy. The velour pads are somewhat cheap feeling, but the build/price/weight ratio here is great. Plastic cable is thick and feels plenty durable.

 

Comfort: I have a reasonably small head, and overall these fit great out of the box. Despite the cheap-ish feel of the velour pads, they are still very comfortable and fit nicely around my ears. The clamping force is a little tight, but I'm sure that will go away with some regular use.

 

Loudness: I wouldn't even have added this category, but it surprised me at how quiet these headphones were when connected directly into the audio jack on my computer. While listenable, it definitely wasn't loud enough to instill that "escape from reality" jamming experience. Amping is definitely recommended, especially given the semi-open nature of these headphones.

 

Sound: These are pretty neutral headphones to my somewhat untrained ears, with a rise at the high end of the spectrum. The bass isn't boomy at all like my Razer headphones; it's much more tight and controlled sounding, which is much better for most music IMO. The sibilance issues that others have claimed are there, but they're not ear-splitting. You can get rid of this with some EQ tweaking, but that affects the overall detailing of the sound so I'm hoping everyone is right in that it goes away with burn-in. I honestly didn't care for the sound when I first listened to them, I was very underwhelmed with the lack of airy sound and smallish soundstage. I can't tell if I'm changing or the headphones are changing (likely both) but I'm enjoying them more and more as I listen. They really seem to be opening up, only a few hours later. Likely psycho-acoustic, but noteworthy nonetheless. They sound a bit busy with any music that has an abundance of splashy cymbals, like a lot of metal and rock, and it makes it sound somewhat dirty. I think this is also due to the sibilance, so if it really does go away with burn-in, then this is a non-issue. The detail in these phones is great, I actually didn't recognize the intro to a Queens of the Stone Age song I've heard 100 times because there was so much more clarity than what I'm used to.

 

Overall: I'm very pleased with the quality of these headphones for the money. They are sounding smoother and prettier by the minute and I'm very much looking forward to how they sound once they're burned in. They likely won't compete with the big guys that everyone raves about, but I took a chance for $50 and I'm glad I did. I'll likely be adding some more budget-fi components to my budding hobby at some point, more than likely a cMoy amp and a HifimeDIY Sabre DAC. And of course any can I can get my hands on. Thanks for the read!

Hi!

 

Sibilance is not going anywhere in my experience with this headphones.

 

Anyway, it's always nice to listen to good quality recordings through my Hi-2050. You won't find any sibilance in most of the high quality recordings.

 

For highly compressed and over bright recordings, I think there are many headphones that can do the job better than this Takstars.

 

Enjoy your headphones!

post #1090 of 2346

You are on to a good start get a decent DAC build a Cmoy and RUN !! your vallet will thank me lol

post #1091 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus-DK View Post
 

You are on to a good start get a decent DAC build a Cmoy and RUN !! your vallet will thank me lol

Haha that's the plan, although I know it won't end there. The good thing is I'm in no hurry so I'll just piece it all together as I can.

post #1092 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post
 

Hi!

 

Sibilance is not going anywhere in my experience with this headphones.

 

Anyway, it's always nice to listen to good quality recordings through my Hi-2050. You won't find any sibilance in most of the high quality recordings.

 

For highly compressed and over bright recordings, I think there are many headphones that can do the job better than this Takstars.

 

Enjoy your headphones!

What about in this price range? I checked out your review of the Pioneer SE-A1000's and I'll probably grab those next, just to make sure I'm not missing out on any reasonably priced gear before I take the plunge into the deep end of my shallow wallet.

post #1093 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtythekid View Post
 

What about in this price range? I checked out your review of the Pioneer SE-A1000's and I'll probably grab those next, just to make sure I'm not missing out on any reasonably priced gear before I take the plunge into the deep end of my shallow wallet.

Don't get the A1000. They were one of the few headphones I returned for sounding awful.

post #1094 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

Don't get the A1000. They were one of the few headphones I returned for sounding awful.

Now you gotta know that I can't make a decision based on one person's suggestion, right? I'm a sucker for airy sound and big soundstage, and these are 2 things I've read the Pioneers do well. Since I can't hear them and I can only go off what people collectively say, it sounds like they're worth a try from what I gather.

 

Honestly, it's not very helpful for newcomers when people just say "don't get those, they sound awful" and give no descriptive reasoning as to what they think "awful" sounds like. A little more info would be helpful.

 

One thing about the Takstar headphones that should be strongly noted is that they sound almost like closed headphones with poor isolation. That doesn't reflect badly on the sound quality, I'm just saying these headphones don't sound like they take full advantage of the open/semi-open design. I may take a shot at fixing this with some modding at some point.

post #1095 of 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtythekid View Post
 

Now you gotta know that I can't make a decision based on one person's suggestion, right? I'm a sucker for airy sound and big soundstage, and these are 2 things I've read the Pioneers do well. Since I can't hear them and I can only go off what people collectively say, it sounds like they're worth a try from what I gather.

 

Honestly, it's not very helpful for newcomers when people just say "don't get those, they sound awful" and give no descriptive reasoning as to what they think "awful" sounds like. A little more info would be helpful.

 

One thing about the Takstar headphones that should be strongly noted is that they sound almost like closed headphones with poor isolation. That doesn't reflect badly on the sound quality, I'm just saying these headphones don't sound like they take full advantage of the open/semi-open design. I may take a shot at fixing this with some modding at some point.

There is an SE A-1000 thread here where myself and a lot of others had negative experiences in which we detailed what we didn't like about them.

 

I actually just sold my 2050 as well. I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and they were just too bright. The Pro 80 is much nicer to me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread