Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Head-Fi 2011 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head-Fi 2011 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 78

...nuthingyetbuttitsonitsway biggrin.gif

 

 

post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Here's the CD I got from chef8489 today...

 

51eoJfW%2BhvL._SS500_.jpg

 

Teen goth symphonic metal at it's finest!

 

I'm feeling a strange urge to go shopping at Hot Topix. I'll be strong and resist the temptation, but I will definitely be exploring more of this genre thanks to chef. Good choice!



You two got an excellent exchange:)

 

When they began, Within Tempation wasn't as 'teenie' or 'commercial' as they are now. That began when singer Sharon den Adel came. Especially since their breakthrough - Mother Earth - they began making records for a bigger audience. Stil very nice though imo.

 

Great Dutch band, great singer and a beautiful woman. Nice too. I played in the practice room next to them with my band a couple of months, when Within still practiced in Waddingsveen. They always seemed to have a nice time.

 

post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglover View Post



You two got an excellent exchange:)

 

When they began, Within Tempation wasn't as 'teenie' or 'commercial' as they are now. That began when singer Sharon den Adel came. Especially since their breakthrough - Mother Earth - they began making records for a bigger audience. Stil very nice though imo.

 

Great Dutch band, great singer and a beautiful woman. Nice too. I played in the practice room next to them with my band a couple of months, when Within still practiced in Waddingsveen. They always seemed to have a nice time.

 




I did some reading about WT and am now very intrigued to explore their earlier work, as well as other bands of this genre that chef8489 recommended to me.

 

I will definitely participate in the music exchange again - what a great way to gain exposure to new music!

post #19 of 78

I received from my partner an outstanding recording of a modern trumpet player named, Arve Henriksen.  I used to be a "serious" trumpet player (i.e. studied in a conservatory) and appreciate the recording that much more because of that. 

For those of you interested in raw sounding performances/recordings, and/or musicians playing instruments in unconventional ways, I urge you to check out Arve.  The album I listened to is called, "sakuteiki." 

 

Arve has a way of playing the trumpet on this album that sounds like an Asian wood flute!  And much of the playing is in a mono-phonic, minimalist, pentatonic style, much like the melodies of classic Chinese music. 

 

post #20 of 78

mine just got here today from proglover.  in the spirit of the exchange it is something i have never heard before.  it is ripping as i type.  can't wait to listen to it smile.gif

 

The Gathering Field - Lost in America

The Gathering Field - Lost in America

 

sadly, his package is still in transit but should arrive soon...

 

post #21 of 78

In retrospect, maybe me and simon154 didn't do this correctly; we exchanged mix CDsrolleyes.gif

In either case, I really, really enjoy what he sent me! Opened me up to some good acoustic music for the most part, pushing me outside of my electronica bubble like I need to be pushed every once in a while :p

No regrets about this exchange! Awesome stuff! Really glad I partook; I will for sure be doing so next year.

post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak View Post

mine just got here today from proglover.  in the spirit of the exchange it is something i have never heard before.  it is ripping as i type.  can't wait to listen to it smile.gif

 

The Gathering Field - Lost in America

The Gathering Field - Lost in America

 

sadly, his package is still in transit but should arrive soon...


I havent heard that CD in years. Michael Stanley was a big fan of that record. For anyone that didnt grow up in NE Ohio in the late 70's early 80's, this Is Michael Stanley.

 

post #23 of 78

Glad that you're enjoying it! :-D
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1joe507 View Post

I received from my partner an outstanding recording of a modern trumpet player named, Arve Henriksen.  I used to be a "serious" trumpet player (i.e. studied in a conservatory) and appreciate the recording that much more because of that. 

For those of you interested in raw sounding performances/recordings, and/or musicians playing instruments in unconventional ways, I urge you to check out Arve.  The album I listened to is called, "sakuteiki." 

 

Arve has a way of playing the trumpet on this album that sounds like an Asian wood flute!  And much of the playing is in a mono-phonic, minimalist, pentatonic style, much like the melodies of classic Chinese music. 

 



 

post #24 of 78

I got Diamond Mine by King Creosote & Jon Hopkins from joelpearce. I usually listen to electronica so this is a nice change. A great recording, great production by Jon Hopkins, I'm enjoying it.

 

king.jpg

post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayofCalm View Post

In retrospect, maybe me and simon154 didn't do this correctly; we exchanged mix CDs:rolleyes:


In either case, I really, really enjoy what he sent me! Opened me up to some good acoustic music for the most part, pushing me outside of my electronica bubble like I need to be pushed every once in a while tongue.gif


No regrets about this exchange! Awesome stuff! Really glad I partook; I will for sure be doing so next year.
So long as you agreed with each other what you were exchanging, you did it perfectly correctly! biggrin.gif
post #26 of 78

My exchange partner "Wotts" got me 2 OAR albums: Kings & Rain or shine

I actually never heard from this band and I just started listening to the Kings album, which is very well recorded. I like it very much, easy listening

I'm gonna enjoy these for sure!! Thanks!

post #27 of 78

I do like them quite a lot. L3000.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

My exchange partner "Wotts" got me 2 OAR albums: Kings & Rain or shine

I actually never heard from this band and I just started listening to the Kings album, which is very well recorded. I like it very much, easy listening

I'm gonna enjoy these for sure!! Thanks!



 

post #28 of 78

133984.jpg

 

Gifted by pigmode. I like 60's psychedelia and latin music, so I am excited to hear this one once the 25th rolls around. Plus its MFSL! SCORE!


Edited by Philimon - 12/19/11 at 3:50pm
post #29 of 78

One gold disc deserves another, as I always say.  beerchug.gif

 

 

ref=dp_image_z_0.jpeg

post #30 of 78

I've been wanting to buy that disc. 

 

Also, I received this:

 

41epiEWityL.jpg

 

Not usually my kind of music but I could see myself listening to this every now and then. Really Folky. It's described as Country, but I'm not a Country fan at all and I like it. Definitely more Folk than anything. The whole album is just fun to listen to.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

One gold disc deserves another, as I always say.  beerchug.gif

 

 

ref=dp_image_z_0.jpeg



 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Head-Fi 2011 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread