Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ - Page 80

post #1186 of 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

 

That was me. Haha. biggrin.gif It might not be quite as extreme as those words can make it sound, but that's honestly the image I get in my head. 

 

Oh! Well, I guess you know exactly what I'm talking about then! A very creative description indeed. tongue.gif

post #1187 of 1680

It is great to see smaller manufacturers focus not only on IEMs but also some full size headphones. Great for can-mans like me!

post #1188 of 1680

might want to try wood cups and somde decent amp for fun hm5 :) well yeah i know wood cups are expensive... but curiosity got the better of me.. and i have been enjoying them more than with the original cup..

 

now i'm abit curious with the philips uptown, since 100% better sound claim always warrant a trial at least... just don't how to get my hands on one... 

post #1189 of 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjjamur View Post

might want to try wood cups and somde decent amp for fun hm5 :) well yeah i know wood cups are expensive... but curiosity got the better of me.. and i have been enjoying them more than with the original cup..

 

now i'm abit curious with the philips uptown, since 100% better sound claim always warrant a trial at least... just don't how to get my hands on one... 

 

For additional clarification, my original post did state that the Philips Uptown model was 100% better than the HM5.  While I did make that statement, or claim, I can see where and how it might have been misinterpreted.  My point wasn't to come into this thread and "stir the pot".  However, for those individuals who were on a more limited budget (e.g. the range that the HM5 falls into), I wanted to point out the other options, too.  It seems that once a thread gets a certain amount of momentum going, all too many people can be misled into believing that if 150 other members thought they were great headphones, so they should be right for me.  The real hard part comes into play when one orders from MP4Nation and then the customer decides against their purchase.  In order to return the headphones, they are faced with shipping them back to Singapore at a somewhat lofty cost.  Instead of doing so, they usually end up selling them on the for sale section at a reduced rate.

 

So, if I were to re-qualify my statement to indicate that the Philips Uptown headphones, as a whole, are 100% better would that clarity be easier to digest?  I can understand where some confusion may have been created by misinterpretation when I stated 100%.  However, the quality of the Philips is actually quite superior to many other headphones and they did a very good job on the manufacturing process.  The partial use of some aluminum components, double-thick cup walls, etc. -- all add into the big picture of sound, feel, quality, etc. 

post #1190 of 1680

Pages 77 - 80 should be moved to a new thread called "Brainwavz HM5 vs Phillips Uptown fight thread".  Wow guys.  They are both fantastic headphones for their price.  Wje knows his stuff so don't argue with him.  I have been modding over a year and I think he's been here or has been modding for much longer.  I would say this, if you haven't ordered the HM5's yet, and want more bass and a more balanced/warm sound signature, get the Uptown's.  They look incredibly nice for the price.  Technology updates so fast it's not funny and I have no doubt they are better headphones.  The few things the HM5 still have going for them is the comfort of those huge cushion earpads, replaceable cables, good warranty, carrying case, and good reviews.  They are fantastic for their price.  Once the silver version comes into stock more, I am going to trade in my HM5 for them probably though.  I truely enjoy my HM5 a lot, but I really am digging the looks of the silver/brown look.  They remind me of DT-990's with a Grado headband.  Both excellent companies and if you think about that, you should be sold on them instead of the HM5's.  Good luck to you all, PLEASE STOP FIGHTING!  Jesus loves you, still.

post #1191 of 1680

I don't see how so many people dislike the comfort of the HM5 as well.  I think they are incredibly comfortable.

post #1192 of 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post  Wje knows his stuff so don't argue with him. 

that's just ignorance right there and you're just adding fuel to the fire by saying that. Alot of others who say these headphones are great know their **** too. It's great that you'll just accept anything he says without reason. Him saying it's just a hundred percent better without stating why isn't enough for me or most on this board. It took three pages for him to say why he disliked the hm5s. If I was like you and just excepted it without reason everybody would own only headphone. Now that ht finally said why this matter is settled and if you actually read the three pages we want to get past this issue and stop commenting on it.


Edited by TBEagl - 5/8/12 at 8:35am
post #1193 of 1680

Thanks everyone.  I didn't mean to stir the pot in this thread.  I'm moving back to the HifiMAN and Fostex threads.  Good luck with your HM5s.

post #1194 of 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player1josh46 View Post

Well so far i'm liking them but for some reason i seem to be craving for a more "feel" bass rather than just the "hear" bass the HM5s has. This seems odd considering that i sold my M50s because their bass was too overpowering. Perhaps that was only because the vocals were recessed, which isn't a problem with the HM5s. Even so, when I raise the bass in the 100-300Hz it helps the "feel" part a little but vocals get a little recessed as a result. So for now I'm just burning them in further and keep trying new EQ frequency responses I like.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player1josh46 View Post

I gotta say... At the moment the HM5s aren't really doing it for me. I feel like they aren't particularly FUN to listen to. I kinda wish they had a little more ommph in the bass. They seem perhaps a little too neutral for me, which is weird cause the M50s had that more fun U-shaped FR but i ended up selling them BECAUSE they had TOO much bass and vocals were recessed. Who knows. I can only hope they increase in bass even slightly. Enough to make them a little more oomph, you know. BTY, I have burned them for about 25-30 hrs. Not even close to 100 hrs as suggested. Can anyone say if the HM5s increased in bass over time. If so did it affect vocals at all?

 

Thanks.

 

You, sir, are experiencing THE EXACT SAME THING I did (including looking for the perfect bass eq).
To save you on time. You WON'T find the sound you're looking for. I kept the HM5 for use with bass light genres. I like the sound signature and the realness of instruments that much. But. The bass WILL ALWAYS leave you wanting because as you said in pretty much the exact same way I described them, they produce the kind of bass you "hear" versus "feel". (and in that sense, they really do cover the whole spectrum evenly)
 

I ended up buying a Denon d2k for the bass heavy genres and even that doesn't satisfy me (little punch. plus the mids and everything else except (sub)bass from the HM5 spoiled me).
In the meantime, I continue to search for what i call "HM5 with a bass you can feel". When I find those, the Denons will disappear.


Edited by atomikn00b - 5/8/12 at 11:16am
post #1195 of 1680

HM5 with a bass you can feel = Thunderpants.

post #1196 of 1680

Now I'm back to really enjoying the HM5s... but only when I use the E6 amp on EQ2 setting(which increases bass without getting muddy too much) and i put the volume about 13-15 notches from 0. Do you think that is a safe listening level cause 13 seems alright but 15 is what really gets more detail and energy out more.
 

post #1197 of 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post

HM5 with a bass you can feel = Thunderpants.

they looked big and not so portable (too costly for that) and not easily driven. so.

no.

 

plus there's the cost factor.


Edited by atomikn00b - 5/8/12 at 8:06pm
post #1198 of 1680

oh yeah i got you, good points.

post #1199 of 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

For additional clarification, my original post did state that the Philips Uptown model was 100% better than the HM5.  While I did make that statement, or claim, I can see where and how it might have been misinterpreted.  My point wasn't to come into this thread and "stir the pot".  However, for those individuals who were on a more limited budget (e.g. the range that the HM5 falls into), I wanted to point out the other options, too.  It seems that once a thread gets a certain amount of momentum going, all too many people can be misled into believing that if 150 other members thought they were great headphones, so they should be right for me.  The real hard part comes into play when one orders from MP4Nation and then the customer decides against their purchase.  In order to return the headphones, they are faced with shipping them back to Singapore at a somewhat lofty cost.  Instead of doing so, they usually end up selling them on the for sale section at a reduced rate.

 

So, if I were to re-qualify my statement to indicate that the Philips Uptown headphones, as a whole, are 100% better would that clarity be easier to digest?  I can understand where some confusion may have been created by misinterpretation when I stated 100%.  However, the quality of the Philips is actually quite superior to many other headphones and they did a very good job on the manufacturing process.  The partial use of some aluminum components, double-thick cup walls, etc. -- all add into the big picture of sound, feel, quality, etc. 

lol relax, i got your point... but i am still curious just because you do know you are talking about and such recommendation should not be ignored.. being in a third world country I got used to not having amazon to shop from.. or best buy.. or any other state side store that i can go to when i was still in school there. So if anyone know how to get phillips uptown from a store that ships internationally for free i am all ears... 

post #1200 of 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

However, the quality of the Philips is actually quite superior to many other headphones and they did a very good job on the manufacturing process.  The partial use of some aluminum components, double-thick cup walls, etc. -- all add into the big picture of sound, feel, quality, etc. 

 

Stopped by Best Buy today to check out the Uptowns. Totally agree with the above statement. They look and feel great. Super comfortable. They seemed to have pretty good isolation, but it's still very hard to tell on the sound in such a noisy environment. I was digging what I was able to hear though. I think I just might pick up a pair to try them out. I'll be sure to post impressions vs the HM5 and what not if I do.


Edited by manveru - 5/12/12 at 3:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ