Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW HIFIMAN HE500 A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW HIFIMAN HE500 A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH - Page 10

post #136 of 161
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post

Frank I

 

You wrote a rave review on the HE-6, http://www.head-fi.org/t/538737/amazing-and-dynamic-he6, and now this one on the HE-500.  In your HE-6 review you state "A remarkable product that will provide me with years of long term satisfaction and alongside my LCD2 and HD800 is a permanent resident."    You obviously like HiFiman cans.  Comparing the two, amplification and cost aside, which to you prefer?

 

The reason I ask is I'm considering as my first venture into headphonia, the HE-6, LCD-2v2 or LCD-3 and T1.  Now I've read this review so may want to add the 500s to my audition list.

 

Great review on both, by the way.


Thanks for the kind words. If you have the proper amp and can afford the He6 it is the better phone than the hE500. The HE500 is outstanding but the HE6 has more extension in the treble and is a bigger and deeper soundstage but the can needs 15W to sounds its best. the HE500 is very very good for the money and as my review stated the T1 at 1299.00 has a better soundstage and imaging and detail is much better than the He500 so that is still my reference can. I sold my LCD2 because of too many QC issues and  lack of air and space which for classical music is very important to me.The best advice I can give is set your budget and try to listen to as many of them as you can because what good for me may be different for you but no bad choices and do audition the HE500 its worth the listen.

 

post #137 of 161


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


Thanks for the kind words. If you have the proper amp and can afford the He6 it is the better phone than the hE500. The HE500 is outstanding but the HE6 has more extension in the treble and is a bigger and deeper soundstage but the can needs 15W to sounds its best. the HE500 is very very good for the money and as my review stated the T1 at 1299.00 has a better soundstage and imaging and detail is much better than the He500 so that is still my reference can. I sold my LCD2 because of too many QC issues and  lack of air and space which for classical music is very important to me.The best advice I can give is set your budget and try to listen to as many of them as you can because what good for me may be different for you but no bad choices and do audition the HE500 its worth the listen.

 



Excellent information.  Thank you Frank.

 

post #138 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


Thanks for the kind words. If you have the proper amp and can afford the He6 it is the better phone than the hE500. The HE500 is outstanding but the HE6 has more extension in the treble and is a bigger and deeper soundstage but the can needs 15W to sounds its best. the HE500 is very very good for the money and as my review stated the T1 at 1299.00 has a better soundstage and imaging and detail is much better than the He500 so that is still my reference can. I sold my LCD2 because of too many QC issues and  lack of air and space which for classical music is very important to me.The best advice I can give is set your budget and try to listen to as many of them as you can because what good for me may be different for you but no bad choices and do audition the HE500 its worth the listen.

 


People usually say that the HE500 is like an upgrade from the HD598 is that true? If so, then what amp do you think would be the best for these cans? I'm into mid vocal and soundstage, so is this a viable choice for me?

 

post #139 of 161

The HE500 is an upgrade to the HD598 like a ferrari is an upgrade to a station wagon. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoi14021993 View Post


People usually say that the HE500 is like an upgrade from the HD598 is that true? If so, then what amp do you think would be the best for these cans? I'm into mid vocal and soundstage, so is this a viable choice for me?

 



 

post #140 of 161
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoi14021993 View Post


People usually say that the HE500 is like an upgrade from the HD598 is that true? If so, then what amp do you think would be the best for these cans? I'm into mid vocal and soundstage, so is this a viable choice for me?

 



Sorry I have not heard the HD598 but did own the HD600 and the HE500 is significantly a step up over the HD600.  Soundstage is good but not T1 good but this  great for midrange and vocal recordings. It would  be a good choice.


Edited by Frank I - 1/17/12 at 3:51am
post #141 of 161

Thanks for the respones Frank. I have heard the HD600 myself but both the soundstage and mid are not as good as the HD598 IMO. Wonder if the HE-500 have that speaker-like soundstage of the HD598 rolleyes.gif

post #142 of 161
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoi14021993 View Post

Thanks for the respones Frank. I have heard the HD600 myself but both the soundstage and mid are not as good as the HD598 IMO. Wonder if the HE-500 have that speaker-like soundstage of the HD598 rolleyes.gif



I cannot say for sure. I am not sure any planar would be like that except the HE6 with lots of power. I do enjoy classical on the hE500 but the t1 is more what i consider the layering and width and depth champ by a fair margin with much better imaging and focus but a different sound signature more neutral than the HE500 . There is a 30 day trial with them if that helps you. I always say to try it for yourself as opinions are so varying and mean different things to different folks. What one likes someone else may not. These could very well satisfy you but only you would be best qualified to answer that.

post #143 of 161

Yes, there is a 30 day trial, but provided I'm a student, I'm only saving up for them, so can't really buy them now. Surely which headphones are better are purely objective, so I'm only asking about their sound signature.

post #144 of 161


I own the HD598 + HE-500, so thought I would help.

 

HD598 does sound staging very well + mids are some of the sweetest upfront presentation I've ever heard. I simply love this phone and think its the best at its price point.

 

Now, what you'll get with the HE-500 compared to the HE598 is:

 

1. Bass, real bottomless bass that hits hard/deep with amazing texture. The bass on the HD598 extends okay but the sub-bass is "one-note" sounding without much texture/articulation, plus the impact might be a little shy sometimes, although much better than something like that AKG Q701.

 

2. Faster transient speed. The HD598 is pretty fast for a dynamic, but once you hear the planar speed, you'll be wowed. This speed brings extra clarity top to bottom and will make the HD598 sound grainy across the spectrum.

 

3. Darker sound, the HD598 has some emphasis in the low treble/upper mids, and will be noticeably brighter than the HE-500. The thing about the HE-500 is that it also has very sweet mids and vocals because it emphasizes the upper mids as well, but not as much treble as the HD598

 

Honestly the HE-500 will excel on technicalities but will not really outright beat the HD598 in musicality (closer to a draw). Sure, HD598 is grainier and slower, but that frequency balance is just sweet IMO, and the mids are to die for, with lovely warmth.

 

Also, HE-500 does soundstaging just as well, but the imaging is even better than the HD598, incredible depth, layers and layer and layers you'll here underneath. You might feel like the HD598 is airier because of the treble empahsis though and I would say the sound stage width is just a tiny bit wider, but the depth will be 2 dimensional compared to the HE-500.

 

This of course is my impression only, driving the HE-500/HD598 from Lyr + Telefunken tubes.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoi14021993 View Post

Thanks for the respones Frank. I have heard the HD600 myself but both the soundstage and mid are not as good as the HD598 IMO. Wonder if the HE-500 have that speaker-like soundstage of the HD598 rolleyes.gif



 


Edited by M-13 - 1/17/12 at 12:01pm
post #145 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post


I own the HD598 + HE-500, so thought I would help.

 

HD598 does sound staging very well + mids are some of the sweetest upfront presentation I've ever heard. I simply love this phone and think its the best at its price point.

 

Now, what you'll get with the HE-500 compared to the HE598 is:

 

1. Bass, real bottomless bass that hits hard/deep with amazing texture. The bass on the HD598 extends okay but the sub-bass is "one-note" sounding without much texture/articulation, plus the impact might be a little shy sometimes, although much better than something like that AKG Q701.

 

2. Faster transient speed. The HD598 is pretty fast for a dynamic, but once you hear the planar speed, you'll be wowed. This speed brings extra clarity top to bottom and will make the HD598 sound grainy across the spectrum.

 

3. Darker sound, the HD598 has some emphasis in the low treble/upper mids, and will be noticeably brighter than the HE-500. The thing about the HE-500 is that it also has very sweet mids and vocals because it emphasizes the upper mids as well, but not as much treble as the HD598

 

Honestly the HE-500 will excel on technicalities but will not really outright beat the HD598 in musicality (closer to a draw). Sure, HD598 is grainier and slower, but that frequency balance is just sweet IMO, and the mids are to die for, with lovely warmth.

 

Also, HE-500 does soundstaging just as well, but the imaging is even better than the HD598, incredible depth, layers and layer and layers you'll here underneath. You might feel like the HD598 is airier because of the treble empahsis though and I would say the sound stage width is just a tiny bit wider, but the depth will be 2 dimensional compared to the HE-500.

 

This of course is my impression only, driving the HE-500/HD598 from Lyr + Telefunken tubes.

 

 



 


Thanks for the detailed impression. I'm driving the HD598 with the FiiO e7 + e9 combo so it's dark enough for me. It's quite a pity though, since I can't seem to find a pair of cans that can surpass the 598 in term of musicality. I hoped the HE500 could, but apparently from what you said I also think it couldn't. Man, really that musicality is what I've been looking for, but at the same time the 598 is not so good on detail :(

 

post #146 of 161

Well... I wouldn't say the HE-500 loses on musicality. It's actually VERY nice and the frequency balance is more pleasing (for me atleast). I've heard the HD598 out of the E7/E9 (I own this too), and you'll be fairly impressed with the HE-500. It really does it all, musicality + technicality, very well balanced, probably just a touch colder than the warm HD598 though, but yeah worth checking out for sure. biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoi14021993 View Post


Thanks for the detailed impression. I'm driving the HD598 with the FiiO e7 + e9 combo so it's dark enough for me. It's quite a pity though, since I can't seem to find a pair of cans that can surpass the 598 in term of musicality. I hoped the HE500 could, but apparently from what you said I also think it couldn't. Man, really that musicality is what I've been looking for, but at the same time the 598 is not so good on detail :(

 



 

post #147 of 161

Yeah I has been dying to try them once but don't really have a chance. Is there any chance to listen to them in Seattle? I might be moving to a city near there this May rolleyes.gif

post #148 of 161
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoi14021993 View Post

Yeah I has been dying to try them once but don't really have a chance. Is there any chance to listen to them in Seattle? I might be moving to a city near there this May rolleyes.gif



check out theSeattle headphone meet that Bottlehead sponsors you may be able to hear it there for sure. If not post a message in the He500 thread and you may get someone to let you hear t. Always best to do that before you buy,

post #149 of 161

I think I was the only one in seattle with the he 500 and I sold mine. I think a couple people have the he400 and maybe somebody else has bought them by the time you move here.

post #150 of 161
Thread Starter 

Good to see King that your back posting guy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW HIFIMAN HE500 A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH