Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread - Page 372  

post #5566 of 7980
Is there a price set yet for the 5.0? Will there be a selection of faceplates, or just the buckeye burl?

Any ideas on when it will be available to ship?

Looks to be purely awesome..good work Wizard.
post #5567 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post

I know this sound crazy, but I need to sit down with the 3.Ai and spend time with them....

 

as for now, I have been using the 5.0 with dub step, Led Zeplin etc......  and if the 3.Ai hits harder than the 5.0 I would be very surprised.

 

 

Wizard

 

 

Mr. Wizard, you're not helping with the waiting! tongue.gif

 

Still 2 more days to go for their estimated delivery... ph34r.gif

post #5568 of 7980

Man, this 5.0 throws a wrench in the decision process.  The Tzar 350 was my next step in the Heir journey that started with the 4 Ai.  Now I'm wondering if 5.0 will be as detailed as the Tzar 350. If yes then maybe I know where I need to go next as an end game to my IEM journey.  For us jazz trio lovers, stick with 4 Ai or go Tzar 350 or 5.0.  I need divine intervention here.   

post #5569 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Man, this 5.0 throws a wrench in the decision process.  The Tzar 350 was my next step in the Heir journey that started with the 4 Ai.  Now I'm wondering if 5.0 will be as detailed as the Tzar 350. If yes then maybe I know where I need to go next as an end game to my IEM journey.  For us jazz trio lovers, stick with 4 Ai or go Tzar 350 or 5.0.  I need divine intervention here.   

 

 

The Tzar 350 and the 5.0 are two very different IEMs! I honestly don't believe the 5.0 will ever be as detailed as the 350, nor that the 350 will ever be as warm sounding as the 5.0. It all depends on what you're looking for...

post #5570 of 7980

My brain is craving more detail, transparency, and imaging.  The devil on my shoulder is saying "go for that lush, weighty, warm sound".  Wallet is saying "pick one but not both".  Wife is saying "I thought you were done a year ago when you said you were done".  4 Ai is saying, "Hey, don't forget about me man".    Hifiman RE-262 is saying, "I thought you were my friend".  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

 

The Tzar 350 and the 5.0 are two very different IEMs! I honestly don't believe the 5.0 will ever be as detailed as the 350, nor that the 350 will ever be as warm sounding as the 5.0. It all depends on what you're looking for...

post #5571 of 7980

Only you can decide, but I can tell you my RE-262 are gone to make way (and funds) for the 5.0... 

post #5572 of 7980
The 5.0 can't touch the transparency and details of the Tzar 350.


Neither can my 8.A, nor the Ety ER4. If transparency and details is what you're after, the 350 is the king of the hill but you better make sure that your source, amp and recordings are up to snuff or the Tzar will call them out.

The 5.0, like the 8.A and 4.Ai, will sound good with just about anything, but improve as you upgrade the chain :-)
post #5573 of 7980

I think I'm back on track here with the Tzar 350.  Will also satisfy that unfilled desire to try something like the HD800 wink.gif.

 

Maybe the universal IEM finale combo is the Tzar 350 and 5.0.  The 5.0 seems like a step up from the 4 Ai whereas the Tzar 350 is a different phenomena in itself.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

Only you can decide, but I can tell you my RE-262 are gone to make way (and funds) for the 5.0... 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

The 5.0 can't touch the transparency and details of the Tzar 350.


Neither can my 8.A, nor the Ety ER4. If transparency and details is what you're after, the 350 is the king of the hill but you better make sure that your source, amp and recordings are up to snuff or the Tzar will call them out.

The 5.0, like the 8.A and 4.Ai, will sound good with just about anything, but improve as you upgrade the chain :-)
post #5574 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

My brain is craving more detail, transparency, and imaging.  The devil on my shoulder is saying "go for that lush, weighty, warm sound".  Wallet is saying "pick one but not both".  Wife is saying "I thought you were done a year ago when you said you were done".  4 Ai is saying, "Hey, don't forget about me man".    Hifiman RE-262 is saying, "I thought you were my friend".  

 

 

 

      This reminds me of the review of the 8.A v/s the 4.A.

 

 

      The conclusion was, the 4.A is the wife you love, the 8.A is the mistress you can't forget, but ultimately the 4.A won the authors heart.

 

 

Now regarding the need for detail...  etc

 

Then do not get the 5.0, as this is not going to fill that niche.  The 4.A/4.Ai, the Tzar 350 are more for that type of need...   the 5.0 is all together different animal.   Beyond that, as Sorenssin has said, the 5.0 is not as refined as the 8.A. One of the lacking ellements that the 5.0 has is that little extra touch of highs, that give u that "just enough detail" to allow one to listen to a wide genre and in my opinion feel fully satisfied.  In other words the 8.A has the detail strentgh to allow one to listen to classical and feel like they have a great CIEM, or you can listen blue grass, or DubStep, and still think they have a great head phone.   The 5.0's lack of refinement is not going to allow it to excell in every genre like the 8.a. 

 

That said, I would not discourage people from purcahseign the 5.0, it is just a matter of, understanding what it is, what the design goal was, and what it does. It does a lot at very impressive levels, considering it is an IEM. Is it as good as the 8.A, No, as physically it can not be.  Does it have a high "WoW" factor.  I think so, a very high one at that.  Does it have the "put it down and leave it on the table and forget about it factor..."  for me it does not as ther are other genres I want to try, and also listen to some songs that I know the 5.0 will deliver a sonic joy ride on.....    all in a compact highly portable IEM

 

 

Wizard

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

post #5575 of 7980

Thank you, there is a lot of info in your full response that will help a lot of us thinking about the next step in our IEM evolution yet do not have access to demos or know people with the Heir lineup.

 

The mids on the 4 Ai are detailed and prominent where I like them.  When I want to hear the authority of a double bass being plucked I can always rely on the 4Ai.  A fine IEM indeed.  

 

The first rule of mistress club......means the 8 A doesn't exist wink.gif

 

Cheers

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post

 

      This reminds me of the review of the 8.A v/s the 4.A.

 

      The conclusion was, the 4.A is the wife you love, the 8.A is the mistress you can't forget, but ultimately the 4.A won the authors heart.

 

Now regarding the need for detail...  etc

 

Wizard

post #5576 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post

 

      This reminds me of the review of the 8.A v/s the 4.A.

 

 

      The conclusion was, the 4.A is the wife you love, the 8.A is the mistress you can't forget, but ultimately the 4.A won the authors heart.

 

 

Now regarding the need for detail...  etc

 

Then do not get the 5.0, as this is not going to fill that niche.  The 4.A/4.Ai, the Tzar 350 are more for that type of need...   the 5.0 is all together different animal.   Beyond that, as Sorenssin has said, the 5.0 is not as refined as the 8.A. One of the lacking ellements that the 5.0 has is that little extra touch of highs, that give u that "just enough detail" to allow one to listen to a wide genre and in my opinion feel fully satisfied.  In other words the 8.A has the detail strentgh to allow one to listen to classical and feel like they have a great CIEM, or you can listen blue grass, or DubStep, and still think they have a great head phone.   The 5.0's lack of refinement is not going to allow it to excell in every genre like the 8.a. 

 

That said, I would not discourage people from purcahseign the 5.0, it is just a matter of, understanding what it is, what the design goal was, and what it does. It does a lot at very impressive levels, considering it is an IEM. Is it as good as the 8.A, No, as physically it can not be.  Does it have a high "WoW" factor.  I think so, a very high one at that.  Does it have the "put it down and leave it on the table and forget about it factor..."  for me it does not as ther are other genres I want to try, and also listen to some songs that I know the 5.0 will deliver a sonic joy ride on.....    all in a compact highly portable IEM

 

 

Wizard

 

 

This is a prime example of why The Wizard isn't allowed to run the marketing department. Way to talk up your latest product, you modest devil! 

post #5577 of 7980

I am so confused then... 4a vs 8a. What is better? WIth that huge price disparity I thought one of them would win out by quite a margin :...(???

post #5578 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post

I am so confused then... 4a vs 8a. What is better? WIth that huge price disparity I thought one of them would win out by quite a margin :...(???

Remember that IEMs should not be judged by price, driver count or what people say is better but what you personally enjoy. Personal preference comes first and you could easily prefer one or the other of these IEMs more i would guess.

post #5579 of 7980

The 4A is more detail orientated then? Also how does it differ from the 4Ai are they the same except for the customisation capability of the former?

post #5580 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post

I am so confused then... 4a vs 8a. What is better? WIth that huge price disparity I thought one of them would win out by quite a margin :...(???

 

They have different sound signatures for different purposes. The price difference is because the 8.A has more drivers (which also requires more labor to assemble) and also includes some premiums the 4.A doesn't have (storage of impressions, wood faceplate).

 

The 8.A is not going to be the best choice if you want a reference monitor, because it was not designed with an even frequency response. The 4.A is not going to be the best choice if you want something with emphasis in the treble and bass.

 

Read some of the many reviews of each model to see which one sounds more like the kind of sound you're looking for.


Edited by ardgedee - 2/23/13 at 2:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread