Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread - Page 333  

post #4981 of 7980

My 4.As just arrived!

Since these are my first customs they certainly feel weird, but so far seems like an excellent fit.

 

I'm guessing that if I was losing seal I'd easily notice? If that's the case then I actually don't seem to able to break the seal no matter what I do. What's a good way to test this just to make sure?

 

 

 

So with that out of the way, these sound AMAZING. Absolutely love them so far.


Edited by Defiant00 - 2/4/13 at 8:04am
post #4982 of 7980
My never-fail test for seal is to rub my fingers together next to my ears. If I can hear them, I don't have a seal.
post #4983 of 7980



Loving them so far!

And yes, you're welcome to put them on Facebook if you want biggrin.gif
post #4984 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

My 4.As just arrived!

Since these are my first customs they certainly feel weird, but so far seems like an excellent fit.

 

I'm guessing that if I was losing seal I'd easily notice? If that's the case then I actually don't seem to able to break the seal no matter what I do. What's a good way to test this just to make sure?

 

 

 

So with that out of the way, these sound AMAZING. Absolutely love them so far.

Good stuff! Congrats. How's the low-volume imbalance with the UHA mkII? Are your worries settled? 

post #4985 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post




Loving them so far!

And yes, you're welcome to put them on Facebook if you want biggrin.gif

Is that the magnus cable?
post #4986 of 7980
Yes, that is a magnus.
post #4987 of 7980

Well, having now listened for a couple hours I'm even more impressed. These are just great at everything I've thrown at them even straight out of a Clip+.

 

Oh, and the bass was a big surprise. These definitely kick when called for, but only when it's in the music. I can only imagine how crazy the 8.A is with this being Heir's neutral IEM.

 

Does anyone else have recommendations for how to test for a proper seal? I've run the Sensaphonics tone test and tried rubbing my fingers together near my ear. Can anyone comment on how obvious it is if/when the seal breaks?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Good stuff! Congrats. How's the low-volume imbalance with the UHA mkII? Are your worries settled? 

 

When using it as a DAC it's a little too much gain for me so I'm turning down the volume in foobar. For my phone and Clip+ no problem at all.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidster View Post


Is that the magnus cable?

 

Yes, and it seems very nice so far (although I don't have any other IEM cables to compare it to).

post #4988 of 7980
Kind of a no-brainer...
Step 1. Find a source of constant sound like running water
Step 2. Listen with your monitors in

If you can hear it, you're not getting a good seal.
post #4989 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

Kind of a no-brainer...
Step 1. Find a source of constant sound like running water
Step 2. Listen with your monitors in

If you can hear it, you're not getting a good seal.

 

At all? Because I can faintly hear stuff if I have no music playing.

 

Honestly, I think my seal is fine, this is more curiosity at this point than anything else. I'm more just wondering since some people seem to be able to easily point to specific times when the lose seal.

post #4990 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

At all? Because I can faintly hear stuff if I have no music playing.

Honestly, I think my seal is fine, this is more curiosity at this point than anything else. I'm more just wondering since some people seem to be able to easily point to specific times when the lose seal.

It depends on how much sound we're talking about. For example, when I ride on the SF muni I can still hear the train and the occasional commuter who's carrying on a particularly loud conversion, that is if I'm not playing music. If I'm playing music at almost any level I can't hear a thing.

In the end, is it comfortable? Does most sound get blocked? Does it 'sound right'? If you answered yes to these three questions then your CIEM fits the way it should.
post #4991 of 7980

Yeah, you'll never get complete silence. That's not physically possible. If you're getting a noticeable reduction in ambient noise, the seal is probably good. Especially since you're noticing how well the bass kicks on the 4.A. The bass is the first thing to go when there's no seal.

post #4992 of 7980
Agreed, if you're hearing that crisp base then I'd say your seal is all good wink.gif
post #4993 of 7980

Well, they're definitely blocking a good bit of sound and have some serious bass, so I think I'll call it good for now, thanks for the input everyone.

 

I'm less sure about the fit, but as these are my first customs (and I haven't really done IEMs before either), definitely going to give them a bit of time and see how my ears feel with them in after a few days. Right now it just feels weird.

post #4994 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

I'm less sure about the fit, but as these are my first customs (and I haven't really done IEMs before either), definitely going to give them a bit of time and see how my ears feel with them in after a few days. Right now it just feels weird.

My 4.A's were my first set of customs. The first few days there was pain in one ear and they did feel a bit weird in my head. However, after about a week the pain had gone and I stopped noticing them. From what I have since learned, it takes your ears a little while to get used to having something like a CIEM in them for any real length of time, especially if you're not doing a particularly good job of inserting them (which I wasn't).

If you're feeling any discomfort give it a few says, as you said. Play around with how you insert them, shift them a bit in your ears. If you're feeling anything beyond mild discomfort you might want to bug Heir or talk to your audiologist. But it's definitely worth waiting a bit, as long as you're not in any serious pain.
post #4995 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Yeah, you'll never get complete silence. That's not physically possible. If you're getting a noticeable reduction in ambient noise, the seal is probably good. Especially since you're noticing how well the bass kicks on the 4.A. The bass is the first thing to go when there's no seal.


I've gotten it from the impressions lol. I couldn't hear a word the lady was saying. I just could hear the silence noise ;). I wonder if Silicone type IEMs would give that scary silence lol.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread