Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread - Page 207  

post #3091 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten123 View Post


...and this is why I am reluctant to pull the trigger on the 8.A. I am having been to'ing and fro'ing as to whether to place and order for weeks.

 

If they were sent as "a sample goods" at a fraction of the value (I'd be happy to risk not having the insurance on route), I would order in a heartbeat.

I just refuse to pay the taxman an extortionate £150 !

 

       If you get the 8.A (now on sale) it would be as if you purchased them with no tax due to the price reduction

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post


Siamese rosewood?

 

      No, Ampboyna and we do not have much of it in that configuration. (just got lucky)

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

post #3092 of 7980

Compared to the 3.Ai how much brighter are the highs on the 8.A?

post #3093 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

Compared to the 3.Ai how much brighter are the highs on the 8.A?

The 3.Ai has brighter higs than the 8.A but I do believe the 8.A has better highs.

post #3094 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

The 3.Ai has brighter higs than the 8.A but I do believe the 8.A has better highs.

 

Well that's really good to know so I can get a sense of how they might sound after listening to the 3.Ai.  That's seems strange that an IEM with 4 high frequency drivers would be less bright than an IEM with just 1 but then it all comes down to tuning.

post #3095 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

 

Well that's really good to know so I can get a sense of how they might sound after listening to the 3.Ai.  That's seems strange that an IEM with 4 high frequency drivers would be less bright than an IEM with just 1 but then it all comes down to tuning.

Well the new dual driver Tzar 350 is brighter than both, just to drive home the point that the number of drivers don't tell the whole story biggrin.gif

post #3096 of 7980

Well if the Tzar 350 is brighter than both than that's not a signature I'll like to much.  I tend to like a warmer signature but I don't mind crisp highs as long as they're not sibilant and harsh like on the T-Peos H-100.  I know the 3.Ai isn't really a warm IEM but from everything I've read about them they seem like they'll sound great with edm / electronica as well as hip hop and rock which are the main 3 I listen to.

post #3097 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

Well if the Tzar 350 is brighter than both than that's not a signature I'll like to much.  I tend to like a warmer signature but I don't mind crisp highs as long as they're not sibilant and harsh like on the T-Peos H-100.  I know the 3.Ai isn't really a warm IEM but from everything I've read about them they seem like they'll sound great with edm / electronica as well as hip hop and rock which are the main 3 I listen to.

4.Ai for you good sir.

post #3098 of 7980

I have asked a couple of head-fi'ers that have\had both the 8.A and JH16 and have got conflicting reports back as to the differences between the two. I am trying to understand how much difference there is between the two.

 

I had expected people to tell me that the 8.A were ultra bright because of the 4 high freq drivers, but I get the impression that they are quite warm and less analytical than the JH16.

I find the JH16 at times to be too bright and even sibilant and this concerns me with 4 high freq drivers and that the 8.A will be quite light on low mids\bass.

 

Can anyone advise me of the signature to expect from the 8.A...perhaps compared to the JH16 ?

post #3099 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten123 View Post

I have asked a couple of head-fi'ers that have\had both the 8.A and JH16 and have got conflicting reports back as to the differences between the two. I am trying to understand how much difference there is between the two.

 

I had expected people to tell me that the 8.A were ultra bright because of the 4 high freq drivers, but I get the impression that they are quite warm and less analytical than the JH16.

I find the JH16 at times to be too bright and even sibilant and this concerns me with 4 high freq drivers and that the 8.A will be quite light on low mids\bass.

 

Can anyone advise me of the signature to expect from the 8.A...perhaps compared to the JH16 ?

Head-Fi'er Staal is the guy you want to PM about this smile.gif

post #3100 of 7980

Considering my signature, I should have included the Rendition 1 and my 8.A in the shot.

 

 

700

post #3101 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Head-Fi'er Staal is the guy you want to PM about this smile.gif


lol Staal was one of those I PM'd.

 

He described the 8.A as " a warm, thick sound that's incredibly musical. It doesn't have the same agressiveness as the JH16 though and the sound is much more relaxed."

 

I'm not sure I like the sound of "warm and thick" - does this mean that fine detail is lost in a sort of warm, syrupy'ness?

The thing I like about the JH16 is being able to really hear instruments, down to the the gentle stroking of cymbals where you can here the brush on brass, to the pluck of individual strings on guitars. With the sound being "more relaxed" does that mean that you lose the attack, detail and transparency with mids set further back?

post #3102 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten123 View Post

I had expected people to tell me that the 8.A were ultra bright because of the 4 high freq drivers, but I get the impression that they are quite warm and less analytical than the JH16.

As the saying goes, it's not what you have it's what you do with it. Simply counting drivers isn't sufficient to predict a result.

Variations in driver models, acoustic filters, crossover design, and other factors also contribute to the overall sound of a unit. More drivers in a particular frequency band does not inherently mean that frequency band will be louder than the rest.
post #3103 of 7980

I learned awhile ago that more drivers doesn't mean better sound.  3 of my favorite IEM's are 2 dual driver sets in the BA200 & R-50 and a single in the e-Q5 so more is not always better.  Even when I compared them to the Westone W4 the W4 while better wasn't so much so that I'd want to get one.  I'm expecting the 3.Ai to be pretty good and will compare favorably next to the BA200 though both a quite different signatures.

post #3104 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

I learned awhile ago that more drivers doesn't mean better sound.  3 of my favorite IEM's are 2 dual driver sets in the BA200 & R-50 and a single in the e-Q5 so more is not always better.  Even when I compared them to the Westone W4 the W4 while better wasn't so much so that I'd want to get one.  I'm expecting the 3.Ai to be pretty good and will compare favorably next to the BA200 though both a quite different signatures.

 

Agreed...as I am learning :-)

 

Although more drivers must give more opportunity to increase and squeeze out more detail.

post #3105 of 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

Brushed aluminum with a laser cutout. I just told The Wizard what I wanted and he worked his magic... Better pics:

 

Right:

700

 

Left:

700

 

About three times a week, Heir posts a set of CIEMs that look so stupidly good I almost want to have mine redone. Then I realize that would mean spending weeks without my 8.A and then I decide to keep them just the way they are.

Wow, that's nice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread