Hey guys. For my first setup approaching high-end, I've been considering the Senn HD600s (or possibly the 650s), in tandem with a decent amp, most likely the Schiit Valhalla, or possibly the Asgard. However, since learning about the new RS 220s, I've been wondering if I should hold out and wait for them. Sources would pretty much be the same either way: CD player or iPod with high quality MP3s or lossless files. Since I don't have a separate DAC, the RS 220 has the added benefit of allowing me to run the digital signal directly from the CD player into the transceiver, plus it eliminates the need for proper amp matching. But would the wired setup be distinctly better at this price level? My listening preferences are, generally, classic rock, some jazz, and a lot of classical. I'm also open to other options, but I'd like to keep my choices fairly focused. I welcome your thoughts.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser RS220 Last post on 6/14/14 at 7:04pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS 220 Vs Sennheiser HD600 / HD650? Last post on 3/2/12 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Selling used Sennheiser RS 220 for $300. Montreal city! Last post on 6/12/14 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser RS 220 + Speakers ON = How ??? Last post on 6/5/14 at 6:18am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS220 initial pairing issues Last post on 6/5/14 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 12/7/14
Well, I can't really write much more than what I wrote for the E40. They are the same in everything except that the E50 is bigger and have at least some bass. Actually, to really be honest,...
The only reason to buy these Headphones is if you want to give money to JBL in change of a big JBL logo on your head. Or if you hate Paul McCartney and want to listen to the Beatles without any...
The other reviewer said enough and in detail, so I will limit myself in giving my very brief opinion of their sound. Later on in the Forum, in the "Huge Comparison" thread, I will make a sort of...
HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?post #1 of 312/10/11 at 1:19pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 312/10/11 at 1:25pm
first, congrats on going big, second, you can always use the guidance thread below to ask for a new setup.
i believe the rs 220 is the wireless one and to be honest unless you want to dance while listening to music, go for the hd 650.
the hd600 is good but since you have the money I assume, go even biggerpost #3 of 312/10/11 at 1:38pmThread Starter
Thanks. I should have made that clear: the RS 220 is the new wireless option based on the HD 600 range. It should be availabe soon, but for the time being it's unavailable. Sennheiser claims it's similar to both models; Jude has said the RS 220 sounds like a well-amped HD 600. Wireless does present an advantage, since I do a lot of listening in different parts of the house. These days, it seems I do more iPod listening (with Bose QC15s) than about anything else, since I can just put the thing in my pocket and move around. The thought of having Sennheiser level sound with a similar degree of portability (at least in my home - obviously not on the go) is definitely appealing. But in the end, I want the best overall setup for SQ.
- HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 16 seconds ago
- › NEW! Bose QC25 2014 58 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Do you believe BURN IN for your Audio Stuff like Headphones,... 3 minutes ago
- › Why are the PS1000e so underrated?! 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › long time audioholic, new to head-fi 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › JBL E50BT Black Premium Wireless Over-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › JBL E40BT Black High-Performance Wireless On-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › Focal Spirit Professional by Frequen-C
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Frequen-C
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by Giogio
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by Giogio
- › FiiO E09K by Delance26
- › Dunu DN-1000 by screwedpeep
- › Sony BDPS500 Bravia Theater Sync Blu-ray Player by Joong
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by BenKatz
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)