Hey guys. For my first setup approaching high-end, I've been considering the Senn HD600s (or possibly the 650s), in tandem with a decent amp, most likely the Schiit Valhalla, or possibly the Asgard. However, since learning about the new RS 220s, I've been wondering if I should hold out and wait for them. Sources would pretty much be the same either way: CD player or iPod with high quality MP3s or lossless files. Since I don't have a separate DAC, the RS 220 has the added benefit of allowing me to run the digital signal directly from the CD player into the transceiver, plus it eliminates the need for proper amp matching. But would the wired setup be distinctly better at this price level? My listening preferences are, generally, classic rock, some jazz, and a lot of classical. I'm also open to other options, but I'd like to keep my choices fairly focused. I welcome your thoughts.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser RS220 Last post on 6/14/14 at 7:04pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS 220 Vs Sennheiser HD600 / HD650? Last post on 3/2/12 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Selling used Sennheiser RS 220 for $300. Montreal city! Last post on 6/12/14 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser RS 220 + Speakers ON = How ??? Last post on 6/5/14 at 6:18am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS220 initial pairing issues Last post on 6/5/14 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/14/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 7/3/14
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Disclaimer: This unit was part of a tour held by Justin at Headamp.com. As the second in the tour to hear these headphones, it likely was not properly burnt in. I thank Justin for giving me the...
Bought them today for 20€ to use them till i get the bose mie2i and try out how this type of headphone would be like. the sound is okay to watch dvds on you notebook but just muddy if you want...
HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?post #1 of 312/10/11 at 1:19pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 312/10/11 at 1:25pm
first, congrats on going big, second, you can always use the guidance thread below to ask for a new setup.
i believe the rs 220 is the wireless one and to be honest unless you want to dance while listening to music, go for the hd 650.
the hd600 is good but since you have the money I assume, go even biggerpost #3 of 312/10/11 at 1:38pmThread Starter
Thanks. I should have made that clear: the RS 220 is the new wireless option based on the HD 600 range. It should be availabe soon, but for the time being it's unavailable. Sennheiser claims it's similar to both models; Jude has said the RS 220 sounds like a well-amped HD 600. Wireless does present an advantage, since I do a lot of listening in different parts of the house. These days, it seems I do more iPod listening (with Bose QC15s) than about anything else, since I can just put the thing in my pocket and move around. The thought of having Sennheiser level sound with a similar degree of portability (at least in my home - obviously not on the go) is definitely appealing. But in the end, I want the best overall setup for SQ.
- HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 19 seconds ago
- › DAC Utilize Sound Card 22 seconds ago
- › HD800s with portable AMP/DAC for iMac 26 seconds ago
- › Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Dissappointed Sennheiser MOMENTUM Owner Looking for Recommendations 2 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair... 3 minutes ago
- › AMP+DAC for DT-990 Edition (250Ohm) 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier 5 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)