Hey guys. For my first setup approaching high-end, I've been considering the Senn HD600s (or possibly the 650s), in tandem with a decent amp, most likely the Schiit Valhalla, or possibly the Asgard. However, since learning about the new RS 220s, I've been wondering if I should hold out and wait for them. Sources would pretty much be the same either way: CD player or iPod with high quality MP3s or lossless files. Since I don't have a separate DAC, the RS 220 has the added benefit of allowing me to run the digital signal directly from the CD player into the transceiver, plus it eliminates the need for proper amp matching. But would the wired setup be distinctly better at this price level? My listening preferences are, generally, classic rock, some jazz, and a lot of classical. I'm also open to other options, but I'd like to keep my choices fairly focused. I welcome your thoughts.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser RS220 Last post on 10/10/13 at 2:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS 220 Vs Sennheiser HD600 / HD650? Last post on 3/2/12 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser RS 220 - Not in stock anywhere Last post on Yesterday at 7:00 am in Headphones (full-size)
- FS:Sennheiser RS 220 Wireless Heaphones. Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:07am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Sennheiser RS220 Home Wireless Headphone Review Last post on 3/21/13 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)
Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Wireless)Last edited: 5/13/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?post #1 of 312/10/11 at 1:19pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 312/10/11 at 1:25pm
first, congrats on going big, second, you can always use the guidance thread below to ask for a new setup.
i believe the rs 220 is the wireless one and to be honest unless you want to dance while listening to music, go for the hd 650.
the hd600 is good but since you have the money I assume, go even biggerpost #3 of 312/10/11 at 1:38pmThread Starter
Thanks. I should have made that clear: the RS 220 is the new wireless option based on the HD 600 range. It should be availabe soon, but for the time being it's unavailable. Sennheiser claims it's similar to both models; Jude has said the RS 220 sounds like a well-amped HD 600. Wireless does present an advantage, since I do a lot of listening in different parts of the house. These days, it seems I do more iPod listening (with Bose QC15s) than about anything else, since I can just put the thing in my pocket and move around. The thought of having Sennheiser level sound with a similar degree of portability (at least in my home - obviously not on the go) is definitely appealing. But in the end, I want the best overall setup for SQ.
- HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 52 seconds ago
- › Clarification about burning-in please! 1 minute ago
- › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Need help buying <£100 over-ears suitable for metal and electronic 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 2 minutes ago
- › best closed 'phones under 150$ for recording & mixing at home +... 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 4 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi