Hey guys. For my first setup approaching high-end, I've been considering the Senn HD600s (or possibly the 650s), in tandem with a decent amp, most likely the Schiit Valhalla, or possibly the Asgard. However, since learning about the new RS 220s, I've been wondering if I should hold out and wait for them. Sources would pretty much be the same either way: CD player or iPod with high quality MP3s or lossless files. Since I don't have a separate DAC, the RS 220 has the added benefit of allowing me to run the digital signal directly from the CD player into the transceiver, plus it eliminates the need for proper amp matching. But would the wired setup be distinctly better at this price level? My listening preferences are, generally, classic rock, some jazz, and a lot of classical. I'm also open to other options, but I'd like to keep my choices fairly focused. I welcome your thoughts.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser RS220 Last post on 10/10/13 at 2:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS 220 Vs Sennheiser HD600 / HD650? Last post on 3/2/12 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser RS 220 - Not in stock anywhere Last post on 12/4/13 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- FS:Sennheiser RS 220. Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:07am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Sennheiser RS220 Home Wireless Headphone Review Last post on 3/21/13 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)
Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Wireless)Last edited: 5/13/13
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?post #1 of 312/10/11 at 1:19pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 312/10/11 at 1:25pm
first, congrats on going big, second, you can always use the guidance thread below to ask for a new setup.
i believe the rs 220 is the wireless one and to be honest unless you want to dance while listening to music, go for the hd 650.
the hd600 is good but since you have the money I assume, go even biggerpost #3 of 312/10/11 at 1:38pmThread Starter
Thanks. I should have made that clear: the RS 220 is the new wireless option based on the HD 600 range. It should be availabe soon, but for the time being it's unavailable. Sennheiser claims it's similar to both models; Jude has said the RS 220 sounds like a well-amped HD 600. Wireless does present an advantage, since I do a lot of listening in different parts of the house. These days, it seems I do more iPod listening (with Bose QC15s) than about anything else, since I can just put the thing in my pocket and move around. The thought of having Sennheiser level sound with a similar degree of portability (at least in my home - obviously not on the go) is definitely appealing. But in the end, I want the best overall setup for SQ.
- HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 33 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 2 minutes ago
- › beyer dt770, 880, 990 replacement pad/cushion--softskin, gel,... 3 minutes ago
- › DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition). 4 minutes ago
- › worst date stories 4 minutes ago
- › Why have more than a few pairs of headphones? 5 minutes ago
- › Best IEM for me 7 minutes ago
- › FS: Sennheiser HD800 7 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live 2? 7 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob