Hey guys. For my first setup approaching high-end, I've been considering the Senn HD600s (or possibly the 650s), in tandem with a decent amp, most likely the Schiit Valhalla, or possibly the Asgard. However, since learning about the new RS 220s, I've been wondering if I should hold out and wait for them. Sources would pretty much be the same either way: CD player or iPod with high quality MP3s or lossless files. Since I don't have a separate DAC, the RS 220 has the added benefit of allowing me to run the digital signal directly from the CD player into the transceiver, plus it eliminates the need for proper amp matching. But would the wired setup be distinctly better at this price level? My listening preferences are, generally, classic rock, some jazz, and a lot of classical. I'm also open to other options, but I'd like to keep my choices fairly focused. I welcome your thoughts.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser RS220 Last post on 6/14/14 at 7:04pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS 220 Vs Sennheiser HD600 / HD650? Last post on 3/2/12 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Selling used Sennheiser RS 220 for $300. Montreal city! Last post on 6/12/14 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser RS 220 + Speakers ON = How ??? Last post on 6/5/14 at 6:18am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser RS220 initial pairing issues Last post on 6/5/14 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 7/3/14
Disclaimer: I was contacted by a Brainwavz representative to try out a free pair of S5 IEMs under the condition I would write a review for them. I received them in mid July and have sampled them...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?post #1 of 312/10/11 at 1:19pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 312/10/11 at 1:25pm
first, congrats on going big, second, you can always use the guidance thread below to ask for a new setup.
i believe the rs 220 is the wireless one and to be honest unless you want to dance while listening to music, go for the hd 650.
the hd600 is good but since you have the money I assume, go even biggerpost #3 of 312/10/11 at 1:38pmThread Starter
Thanks. I should have made that clear: the RS 220 is the new wireless option based on the HD 600 range. It should be availabe soon, but for the time being it's unavailable. Sennheiser claims it's similar to both models; Jude has said the RS 220 sounds like a well-amped HD 600. Wireless does present an advantage, since I do a lot of listening in different parts of the house. These days, it seems I do more iPod listening (with Bose QC15s) than about anything else, since I can just put the thing in my pocket and move around. The thought of having Sennheiser level sound with a similar degree of portability (at least in my home - obviously not on the go) is definitely appealing. But in the end, I want the best overall setup for SQ.
- HD 600 (or 650), or RS 220?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Is my EO7K the weaklink in my portable rig? Could I do better in... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived 4 minutes ago
- › Explain your avatar 4 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!) 6 minutes ago
- › schiit magni vs fiio e-12 9 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by hans030390
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)