Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!! - Page 195

post #2911 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jltaser View Post

Someone in the thread linked an official announcement in Japanese claiming the ICS update increased battery life by ~50% among other details.  I can't find it now though.  All I can remember was that it claimed a running time of 30+ hours or so (when using all the gimmicks that jack up battery life including playing low rez mp3 files, no sound enhancements, screen off, etc).  I did noticed a considerable improvement in battery life, but haven't timed it myself.  Battery life is decent as long as you minimize screen usage and turn on airplane mode.

 

You can't update from a MAC? what a bummer.  Time to hit up a friend's place!  ICS is worth the hassle.

I go that link posted in here a few pages back and i dont see a download link for North American units. 

 

It really sucks if I have to go buy a laptop from the store and return it just to update this thing.  I dont know anyone with a PC and the public places here with free PC usage are only for internet and are locked down.

post #2912 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicko View Post

Why dont you use Google Music?
It plays them without any delays and Sony's sound enhancements are also incorporated into it. I dont feel any difference in SQ of the two apps.

I really don't like that app but I like the Sony one. I also only have the 32GB version so 320 MP3 allow to keep more music and I am still not  convinced yet FLAC really sound better on such portable player.

post #2913 of 3967

hey sony thanks for putting out a ICS4 update for every country but North America!!   Well this device is absolutely useless to me now cause i cant even back it up to the computer.

 

Thanks very much Sony.  Will be returning to the store.


Edited by Bassheadd - 12/31/12 at 10:02am
post #2914 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadd View Post

hey sony thanks for putting out a ICS4 update for every country but North America!!   Well this device is absolutely useless to me now cause i cant even back it up to the computer.

 

Thanks very much Sony.  Will be returning to the store.

 

Here you go: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NWZZ1050&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

lol

post #2915 of 3967

Im not gonna bother, if sony cant have Mac support, they dont deserve my business.

 

But i honestly dont think this player sounds any better than my iphone 4.  And i hate the OS on this player, having to constantly unlock it each time, not being able to fast forward in songs?  Are you ****** kidding me?  iphone 4 is straight forward, no BS and dont have to go through so many damn menus.  No wonder why this player didnt sell well, the x1000 I had before was better, honestly.


Edited by Bassheadd - 12/31/12 at 12:02pm
post #2916 of 3967

You might want to try a PC with Windoz. They are pretty cool. biggrin.gif

post #2917 of 3967

my Z1050 came in the mail yesterday & i managed to give it a brief workout. besides the big form factor & no microSD expansion, the Z1050 completely pawns all of the DAP i have - E-Series, S-series, Sansa Clip+/Zip, Nokia N8 & Samsung Note II. the Z is just another notch up in clarity, micro details, control & extension. 

 

the Z sounds good with any IEM & porty cans in my possession. im very impressed (for now atleast). will see how FW 2.0 brings to the table.


Edited by scottiebabie - 12/31/12 at 12:38pm
post #2918 of 3967

Has anyone else done comparisons with iphone 4 for SQ? 

 

The Sony sounds a tad better but barely noticable.  Theres no way i would have paid full price for this but for $100, its worth keeping for the sake of not having to use itunes anymore.  God I cant stand itunes.

post #2919 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadd View Post

Has anyone else done comparisons with iphone 4 for SQ? 

 

The Sony sounds a tad better but barely noticable.  Theres no way i would have paid full price for this but for $100, its worth keeping for the sake of not having to use itunes anymore.  God I cant stand itunes.

 

What IEMS/Headphones do you use?

post #2920 of 3967

Ditto here... having drag and drop and non Apple product is enough incentive for me. Plus I am pretty happy with the SQ on Sony products.

post #2921 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadd View Post

 My only worry is that i wont be able to update it cause i have a mac and from looking at the links it looks like its no doable on mac?
 

I couldn't update with VirtualBox... I ended up using my wife's PC laptop to do my upgrade. If you have bootcamp though, you should have no problems.

post #2922 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

 

What IEMS/Headphones do you use?

 

Ultimate Ears Super Fi EBs

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy View Post

I couldn't update with VirtualBox... I ended up using my wife's PC laptop to do my upgrade. If you have bootcamp though, you should have no problems.

 

My only worry is that apparently from reading on here ICS4 has less bass.  I just finished setting my EQ and im happy with it, the bass is powerful just like my X1000.  If i can get decent battery life out of the 2.3 im running now, ill be happy.


Edited by Bassheadd - 12/31/12 at 2:05pm
post #2923 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadd View Post

Has anyone else done comparisons with iphone 4 for SQ? 

 

The Sony sounds a tad better but barely noticable.  Theres no way i would have paid full price for this but for $100, its worth keeping for the sake of not having to use itunes anymore.  God I cant stand itunes.

I've put my Sony against the iPod 5.5G, iPod Touch 3G, iPhone 4 and 4s.  I've come away happy that I've since gotten rid of the Apple stuff and happy with the sound out of my Sony Z.  I've even built a nice LOD for it ($60 worth of parts)... and put that into an iBasso D-Zero.  The sound was louder, but more like an iApple device.  The sound was more linear.  I like the curve the "Z" has. I like the tainted "tube" like sound.  This was with the stock buds, Re-cabled UE TF-10, Sennheiser PX200-II and my Heir audio 4.A... LOVE THE SOUND of my "Z".

post #2924 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy View Post

I've put my Sony against the iPod 5.5G, iPod Touch 3G, iPhone 4 and 4s.  I've come away happy that I've since gotten rid of the Apple stuff and happy with the sound out of my Sony Z.  I've even built a nice LOD for it ($60 worth of parts)... and put that into an iBasso D-Zero.  The sound was louder, but more like an iApple device.  The sound was more linear.  I like the curve the "Z" has. I like the tainted "tube" like sound.  This was with the stock buds, Re-cabled UE TF-10, Sennheiser PX200-II and my Heir audio 4.A... LOVE THE SOUND of my "Z".

No doubt the Z1050 sounds better than iphone 4, just not a huge difference like I was expecting but still an improvement nonetheless.  I find the Sony have more bass output and the sound range seems a bit better than my iphone 4.  Very nice sounding player.

post #2925 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadd View Post

Has anyone else done comparisons with iphone 4 for SQ? 

 

The Sony sounds a tad better but barely noticable.  Theres no way i would have paid full price for this but for $100, its worth keeping for the sake of not having to use itunes anymore.  God I cant stand itunes.


Have compared with my ipod touch 4th gen, like the Z a lot better as the touch sounds colder and more congested overall.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!