Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW: Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center DAC/CD Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center DAC/CD Player - Page 2

post #16 of 95
Hi Wilson,
Which Mac Mini did u buy?
Is it the lastest model without CD Drive?
So u mean by hooking the mac mini to the cantata using a iPad to control.
So not need for a Monitor or Huge Screen?
post #17 of 95

I am glad to see that Jeff Kalt and Resolution Audio are still around and still innovating. For years I ran 2 Quantum DAC's from the Cesium transport.  With the demise of Ultra Analog and the superb 20-bit chipsets, they successfully shifted gears with the one-box Opus.  Really smart guys -- always really terrific gear.

post #18 of 95
Thread Starter 

I bought the lowest model of the current series, without the optical drive. Then I purchased more memory from newegg and maxed it out at 8GB. I have no keyboard, mouse or monitor hooked up to the Mac mini. Controlling music is via the free Remote app that Apple makes for remote controlling iTunes playback. If I need to manage something on the Mac mini beyond what the app can do, I use VNC to connect to it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsee View Post

Hi Wilson,
Which Mac Mini did u buy?
Is it the lastest model without CD Drive?
So u mean by hooking the mac mini to the cantata using a iPad to control.
So not need for a Monitor or Huge Screen?


 

post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

I bought the lowest model of the current series, without the optical drive. Then I purchased more memory from newegg and maxed it out at 8GB. I have no keyboard, mouse or monitor hooked up to the Mac mini. Controlling music is via the free Remote app that Apple makes for remote controlling iTunes playback. If I need to manage something on the Mac mini beyond what the app can do, I use VNC to connect to it.
 



 



That is exactly what I do, except of course without the Catana.

Remote app is awesome.

post #20 of 95

A fine review! Owning "mid-level" DACs myself - e.g. Eastern Electric MiniMax - I am curious what difference a really "high-end" DAC might make. Your review has given me a nicely succinct answer.

post #21 of 95

mwilson, can I just say that I've really enjoyed both of your reviews, on the Cantata and the Liquid Fire. Indeed, your write up of the Liquid Fire helped me pull the trigger on buying it (my first big purchase). I'm planning to audition (and probably buy) the Resolution Audio Cantata once I've got enough funds since your description makes of what it is fits exactly what I've been looking for. Found a retailer in Australia who sells it for $5000.

 

Can I just say that I really appreciate your style of writing as well. Intelligent with touches of humour. Oozes with erudition. Call me silly, but for me it gives your opinion more weight. So thank you. Just saying this in case you don't think anyone appreciates the effort you went to writing up these comprehensive reviews.

post #22 of 95
Thread Starter 

^ thanks for the kind words, though I want to be held harmless with regard to the hole in your wallet caused by my irresponsible writing. Caution on auditioning the Cantata - it's addictive, and hard to not order one.

post #23 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

^ thanks for the kind words, though I want to be held harmless with regard to the hole in your wallet caused by my irresponsible writing. Caution on auditioning the Cantata - it's addictive, and hard to not order one.


I'll say.  Damn you in advance. tongue.gif

post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

^ thanks for the kind words, though I want to be held harmless with regard to the hole in your wallet caused by my irresponsible writing. Caution on auditioning the Cantata - it's addictive, and hard to not order one.


The way I see it, I was going to buy something high end anyway and your review gave me the confidence that the LF is what I was looking for and at a relatively good value. Same impression I have of the Cantata, that it punches well above it's price point. Of course, I've yet to hear the Cantata but all the research I've done has lead me to believe that when I hear it, I'll hear the sound quality of units in the $10-15K at a $5k price point. If my ears agree, then my wallet will thank you for letting me achieve that level of SQ at that cost.

 

Caution noted. Maybe by the end of the year I'll audition one. I never buy anything unless I can buy it in cash with several $k stlil left over so it'll be a while yet.

post #25 of 95

Mine just shipped out.  I'm doing that stupid thing I always do, where I repeatedly check the tracking information every fifteen minutes.  It's a neurosis.  rolleyes.gif

 

More to come once it's in my possession.  It's an exciting time.

post #26 of 95

IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1568.JPG

 

IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1573.JPG

 

IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

 

IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1591.JPG

 

IMG_1592.JPG IMG_1593.JPG IMG_1595.JPG

 

IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1599.JPG

 

IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1603.JPG

 

IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1606.JPG

 

IMG_1607.JPG IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1610.JPG

 

IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1615.JPG

 

IMG_1616.JPG IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1618.JPG

 

IMG_1619.JPG IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1625.JPG

 

IMG_1627.JPG

post #27 of 95

Now THAT is some packaging!

 

Looks stupid gorgeous too. Congrats!

post #28 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by obzilla View Post

Now THAT is some packaging!

 

Looks stupid gorgeous too. Congrats!


Thank you sir!  I'll need some time to better evaluate the sound.  The only thing that really comes to mind right this second is that it sounds very analog.  None of that sharp digital edge.

post #29 of 95

i know where he lives. ph34r.gif

post #30 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitePhlight View Post

i know where he lives. ph34r.gif


Oh god, ur in my headfi threatening my gearz.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW: Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center DAC/CD Player