UPDATED with PART 2.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Help finding IEMs or headphones under $800. Big soundstage, rich vocals, slightly sparkling highs Last post on 9/9/12 at 9:13am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need Open headphones or IEMS!! Last post on 8/11/12 at 10:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Passive vs. active crossover Last post on 7/31/12 at 9:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review: Heir Audio 4.A Last post on 9/9/13 at 5:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
Heir Audio 3.A Review of the "Woody" Custom. - Page 2post #16 of 9312/19/11 at 11:25amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 9312/19/11 at 8:05pm
very nice, the DHC cables do sound quite good. Love what you did with the silverware on it too. Awaiting your next update.
post #18 of 9312/20/11 at 8:01pmpost #19 of 9312/22/11 at 5:37amThread Starter
Knowles CI and TWFK... Its the same stuff other companies use just configured and designed differently.
I took some time to listen the the UM offerings today, I'll post my findings after I check out the JH offerings tomorrow.post #20 of 9312/23/11 at 11:42amThread Starterpost #21 of 9312/23/11 at 3:40pm
great review, first support for Part 3. Wondering about a comparison on the UM3X? That's what I own now so don't know if it worth upgrading to the 3.A.
post #22 of 9312/23/11 at 4:06pmpost #23 of 9312/23/11 at 4:30pmpost #24 of 9312/23/11 at 9:27pmThread Starter
@ eclipes - That is a no brainer. These sound much better than ANY universal in the market. The first thing you'll notice coming from the UM3x is the Bass! UM3x has very unrefined uncontrolled bass that leaks all over the sound spectrum. I hated it. It was like they added the Bass into it just for the sake of adding Bass. Coming from there you'll find the 3.A has refined controlled Bass with significantly more slam, and definitely more clarity.
@underhysteria - I just did the check out and might have inadvertently sent a bogus order in LOL! However, it seems Paypal is the mode of payment. As such any mastercard/visa linked to your Paypal Account is accepted.post #25 of 9312/23/11 at 11:24pm
Thanks you for your review and comparison!
Can you expand on your comparison between the 3.A and JH5? Bass quantity/quality? Musicality? I'm deciding between the two at the moment with the JH5 being more enticing since I am located in North American and JH has a 10% sale.post #26 of 9312/23/11 at 11:46pmThread Starter
JH5 has significantly less amount of Bass as compared to the 3.A. It's as tight as the 3.A but honestly, the Bass is barely even there.
When the Mids are push back so the Highs and Lows bear more significance, it doesn't sound very musical. If the Lows had double the quantity, perhaps I could enjoy it more.
The 3.A was a clear winner. And judging from what I heard from the JH5, I'm more convinced that the JH10x3 is the one to compare the 3.A to. Unfortunately, I don't have any luck in getting my hands on one!
If I were you, I wouldn't try to cheap out heading into customs. Having used customs for 4-5 years now, it's an expensive road, and it gets more expensive when you cheap out (ie remolds, changing customs, etc).
Reread my review again, and see if these fit the genres you listen to and what in particular you're looking for. Either ways, these are possibly the best entry level customs.post #27 of 9312/24/11 at 12:44am
^ Thank you for your response. I will continue to do research on customs as it is quite a lot to invest in and I would like to only have one. Regardless, the 3.A seems to be a fantastic option for entry level customs. Combined with the amazing build quality of John, it really is a winner.post #28 of 9312/24/11 at 5:38am
Do you think it's worth the extra $250 (including shipping both ways) to get the 3.A as a first CIEM vs. say a TF10 reshell? TF10s are nice but I miss the vocals being front & center like they are on my Etymotics HF3. For me right now, $250 means delaying getting CIEMs by a few months until I save up for it. Is it truly going to be worth it?post #29 of 9312/24/11 at 5:50am
to be honest, this is what i'm debating on too. I'm pretty sure the CIEM will make a difference since they are tuned specially for this purpose compared to as reshelling a universal. I'm thinking about selling the universal and just move onto CIEM but don't know if the upgrade is significant enough.
Quote:Originally Posted by riffola
Do you think it's worth the extra $250 (including shipping both ways) to get the 3.A as a first CIEM vs. say a TF10 reshell? TF10s are nice but I miss the vocals being front & center like they are on my Etymotics HF3. For me right now, $250 means delaying getting CIEMs by a few months until I save up for it. Is it truly going to be worth it?post #30 of 9312/24/11 at 6:19amThread Starter
Trust me, the difference is truly significant. Once you go custom you don't go back.
I do not recommend the TF10 reshell. The sound changes and not for the better in my opinion. Its not tuned to be in an acrylic shell and neither is it tuned the way CIEM drivers are tuned when they are placed at specific positions in the shell. Yes even driver positioning affects the sound.
Going with the 3.A is a no brainer at that price. Since both of you are coming from a top tier (but relatively old universal), this is the next logical step. Save some money and get these.
Money wisely spent makes you richer in the long run ;)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir Audio 3.A Review of the "Woody" Custom.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Thread displaying incorrectly - content in sidebar 43 seconds ago
- › Open headphones under $250. 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2, plus comparisons (Added ER4S) 2 minutes ago
- › Hybrid IEM comparison requested: Astrotec AX60, DUNU DN1000, TPEOS... 5 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 6 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe