UPDATED with PART 2.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Help finding IEMs or headphones under $800. Big soundstage, rich vocals, slightly sparkling highs Last post on 9/9/12 at 9:13am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need Open headphones or IEMS!! Last post on 8/11/12 at 10:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Passive vs. active crossover Last post on 7/31/12 at 9:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review: Heir Audio 4.A Last post on 5/20/13 at 9:40am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationEdited on 5/7/10
I used this amp mainly with a pair of HD 650 and it does what it is supposed to do: it has way more power than I need, it's quiet and it makes everything sound in its place. I have never heard...
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
Heir Audio 3.A Review of the "Woody" Custom. - Page 2post #16 of 9312/19/11 at 11:25amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 9312/19/11 at 8:05pm
very nice, the DHC cables do sound quite good. Love what you did with the silverware on it too. Awaiting your next update.
post #18 of 9312/20/11 at 8:01pmpost #19 of 9312/22/11 at 5:37amThread Starter
Knowles CI and TWFK... Its the same stuff other companies use just configured and designed differently.
I took some time to listen the the UM offerings today, I'll post my findings after I check out the JH offerings tomorrow.post #20 of 9312/23/11 at 11:42amThread Starterpost #21 of 9312/23/11 at 3:40pm
great review, first support for Part 3. Wondering about a comparison on the UM3X? That's what I own now so don't know if it worth upgrading to the 3.A.
post #22 of 9312/23/11 at 4:06pmpost #23 of 9312/23/11 at 4:30pmpost #24 of 9312/23/11 at 9:27pmThread Starter
@ eclipes - That is a no brainer. These sound much better than ANY universal in the market. The first thing you'll notice coming from the UM3x is the Bass! UM3x has very unrefined uncontrolled bass that leaks all over the sound spectrum. I hated it. It was like they added the Bass into it just for the sake of adding Bass. Coming from there you'll find the 3.A has refined controlled Bass with significantly more slam, and definitely more clarity.
@underhysteria - I just did the check out and might have inadvertently sent a bogus order in LOL! However, it seems Paypal is the mode of payment. As such any mastercard/visa linked to your Paypal Account is accepted.post #25 of 9312/23/11 at 11:24pm
Thanks you for your review and comparison!
Can you expand on your comparison between the 3.A and JH5? Bass quantity/quality? Musicality? I'm deciding between the two at the moment with the JH5 being more enticing since I am located in North American and JH has a 10% sale.post #26 of 9312/23/11 at 11:46pmThread Starter
JH5 has significantly less amount of Bass as compared to the 3.A. It's as tight as the 3.A but honestly, the Bass is barely even there.
When the Mids are push back so the Highs and Lows bear more significance, it doesn't sound very musical. If the Lows had double the quantity, perhaps I could enjoy it more.
The 3.A was a clear winner. And judging from what I heard from the JH5, I'm more convinced that the JH10x3 is the one to compare the 3.A to. Unfortunately, I don't have any luck in getting my hands on one!
If I were you, I wouldn't try to cheap out heading into customs. Having used customs for 4-5 years now, it's an expensive road, and it gets more expensive when you cheap out (ie remolds, changing customs, etc).
Reread my review again, and see if these fit the genres you listen to and what in particular you're looking for. Either ways, these are possibly the best entry level customs.post #27 of 9312/24/11 at 12:44am
^ Thank you for your response. I will continue to do research on customs as it is quite a lot to invest in and I would like to only have one. Regardless, the 3.A seems to be a fantastic option for entry level customs. Combined with the amazing build quality of John, it really is a winner.post #28 of 9312/24/11 at 5:38am
Do you think it's worth the extra $250 (including shipping both ways) to get the 3.A as a first CIEM vs. say a TF10 reshell? TF10s are nice but I miss the vocals being front & center like they are on my Etymotics HF3. For me right now, $250 means delaying getting CIEMs by a few months until I save up for it. Is it truly going to be worth it?post #29 of 9312/24/11 at 5:50am
to be honest, this is what i'm debating on too. I'm pretty sure the CIEM will make a difference since they are tuned specially for this purpose compared to as reshelling a universal. I'm thinking about selling the universal and just move onto CIEM but don't know if the upgrade is significant enough.
Quote:Originally Posted by riffola
Do you think it's worth the extra $250 (including shipping both ways) to get the 3.A as a first CIEM vs. say a TF10 reshell? TF10s are nice but I miss the vocals being front & center like they are on my Etymotics HF3. For me right now, $250 means delaying getting CIEMs by a few months until I save up for it. Is it truly going to be worth it?post #30 of 9312/24/11 at 6:19amThread Starter
Trust me, the difference is truly significant. Once you go custom you don't go back.
I do not recommend the TF10 reshell. The sound changes and not for the better in my opinion. Its not tuned to be in an acrylic shell and neither is it tuned the way CIEM drivers are tuned when they are placed at specific positions in the shell. Yes even driver positioning affects the sound.
Going with the 3.A is a no brainer at that price. Since both of you are coming from a top tier (but relatively old universal), this is the next logical step. Save some money and get these.
Money wisely spent makes you richer in the long run ;)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir Audio 3.A Review of the "Woody" Custom.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › New Abyss planar magnetic headphone 38 seconds ago
- › HM-901 57 seconds ago
- › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a... 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Review 1 minute ago
- › FS: Matrix Quattro DAC *Okay Condition but no Remote* 1 minute ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 2 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VC02 - Info & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START... 3 minutes ago
- › FitEar F111 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion (previously TO GO!... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe