Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning - Page 15

post #211 of 310
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

P6160053.jpg

 

Nice rack.

 

Also, great camera work on those pictures.  What kinda camera you using?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

I only got my first "good" headphones like a month ago, the m50's. Never thought I could even afford the lcd2's and now this summer I am going to be working my butt off at best buy to save up for 009's o_O Jumping from m50's to 009's is gonna be quite something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubar View Post

You need to relax there. By the sounds of things, it doesn't seem like you can afford them comfortably. Take a chill pill instead of chasing the next best thing. There are a lot of hidden costs to audio than just the headphones.

 

I'd have to agree with Shubar.  The cost of the SR-009 shouldn't be taken in isolation.  They need a top-flight amp and a high-quality source to be driven well.  So, don't think of it as a headphone purchase, so much as a system purchase.  I'm sure you could get away with spending $1500-2000 on a used Stax amp (323, T1) and a decent used DAC (Lavry DA11, Benchmark DAC1, W4SD2, etc.), but then you wouldn't be driving the SR-009 with the best possible amplification.  You should probably put some serious thought into whether or not you're looking to spend 1.5-2x the cost of the headphones on building a system around them.  Electrostats are a different animal altogether, and not for the faint of heart (or wallet).

post #212 of 310

Thanks to all who complimented me on the photos, but I must stress that I meant it when I said "crappy". Let me explain - I've been a Canon DSLR user since the 20D in the early 2000s. I've jumped on the 5D when it came out, then Mark II and III when they became available. However, since our toddler son keeps me busy most of the time, and whenever we go somewhere we must pack light, the DSLR rig has seen very little use. To those into photography, you may recall that 5D Mark III just came out in May. Well, I hardly put 1,000 shots on it, so I decided that I must compromise and let it (and my L lens collection) go, and get something smaller and lighter that I could actually take along. I know, the photo quality will not be the same, but I could get 80-90% of the 5D quality in a package 20-30% its size and heft (considering lenses too). I settled on the new Olympus EM-5 (OMD) and it arrived yesterday. The LL shots were simply meant to test the new camera for obvious defects; there was no artistic consideration involved whatsoever (such as composition, lighting, etc). 


Edited by mwilson - 6/17/12 at 7:57am
post #213 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar3 View Post

 

Nice rack.

 

Also, great camera work on those pictures.  What kinda camera you using?

 

 

I'd have to agree with Shubar.  The cost of the SR-009 shouldn't be taken in isolation.  They need a top-flight amp and a high-quality source to be driven well.  So, don't think of it as a headphone purchase, so much as a system purchase.  I'm sure you could get away with spending $1500-2000 on a used Stax amp (323, T1) and a decent used DAC (Lavry DA11, Benchmark DAC1, W4SD2, etc.), but then you wouldn't be driving the SR-009 with the best possible amplification.  You should probably put some serious thought into whether or not you're looking to spend 1.5-2x the cost of the headphones on building a system around them.  Electrostats are a different animal altogether, and not for the faint of heart (or wallet).

If I'm already pretty close to saving up for a top end lcd3 system, I might as well go all out. Instead of buying lcd3, selling it and then moving to the sr009. After reading through the thread "

Audeze LCD-3, Poor Man's Stax SR 009 ?"

I realize I'll just have to get sr009. LCD3 just can't touch the stax :(

post #214 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

I realize I'll just have to get sr009. LCD3 just can't touch the stax frown.gif

Not necessarily. Some prefer the LCD sound over SR-009. If you don't want to gamble with your money I wholeheartedly suggest listening to both prior to making your decision.
post #215 of 310

Those are great pic mwilson. The prof photos that I had made for the website show the LL close up, but yours show everyone pretty much what it's going to look like in a real installtion. Thanks.

 

Also, being at the top of the stack will help its ventilation because it needs good air flow around it.

post #216 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post


Not necessarily. Some prefer the LCD sound over SR-009. If you don't want to gamble with your money I wholeheartedly suggest listening to both prior to making your decision.

im not really a basshead, and I value detail ALOT, and the 009's crush the lcd3's in detail, so I think the 009's will be better for me

post #217 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

im not really a basshead, and I value detail ALOT, and the 009's crush the lcd3's in detail, so I think the 009's will be better for me

I've owned both the LCD-3 and SR-009. While the detail and resolution of the latter is much better over the former, I wouldn't say it "crushes it". The LCD-3 is a very good and resolving headphone.
post #218 of 310

sweet setup Nick!  beerchug.gif

post #219 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

^ like he said. There's more than just headphones, and the SR-009 is very unforgiving about what lay upstream.

 

I think he realizes this, as this is the Liquid Lightning thread after all. It's not the route I have taken as I enjoy variety and the journey upwards, but I applaud his drive for a more efficient route to the top.


Edited by grokit - 6/17/12 at 12:05pm
post #220 of 310

Gracias senor

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post

sweet setup Nick!  beerchug.gif

post #221 of 310

This new camera of yours takes pretty good pictures, doesn't it! Amazing how the noise level went down with the years, I did think this was from a DSLR (well except maybe the depth of field) until I checked them again after reading your explanation! Anyhow, awesome looking rig, I went to read your DAC review after that ;). I really like the designer's work (I like the DP1 too a lot).

post #222 of 310

Thanks for the kind words re. my rig. You're right, sensor quality has improved dramatically over the years; at least one of the photos posted of the LL has been taken at ISO 6,400, something that only several years ago was barely usable even on full frame sensors. Shallow DoF is what I miss, no longer having a full frame DSLR, but since practicality is my primary concern at the moment I can do without for now.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

This new camera of yours takes pretty good pictures, doesn't it! Amazing how the noise level went down with the years, I did think this was from a DSLR (well except maybe the depth of field) until I checked them again after reading your explanation! Anyhow, awesome looking rig, I went to read your DAC review after that ;). I really like the designer's work (I like the DP1 too a lot).

post #223 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

Thanks for the kind words re. my rig. You're right, sensor quality has improved dramatically over the years; at least one of the photos posted of the LL has been taken at ISO 6,400, something that only several years ago was barely usable even on full frame sensors. Shallow DoF is what I miss, no longer having a full frame DSLR, but since practicality is my primary concern at the moment I can do without for now.

 

 

The OMD can fit Olympus' full size DSLR lenses with an adapter, including their superb 12-60mm zoom and 50mm prime. Makes up for the limited selection of micro 4/3 lenses available.. well good ones, anyway.

post #224 of 310

I hear you, but I sold out of excellent glass for size & weight; I have no desire to go back, for now at least. My favorite on the OMD is Oly's 45mm f/1.8 (90mm effective focal length on FF), and I have a Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 incoming at the end of the month. I'm not enamored with its kit 12-50mm lens, and I am going to get rid of it once I receive Panny's new 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom.

 

While I had my Canon 5D III, my favorite was their 35mm f/1.4L prime. Just an outstanding lens.

 

You're right though; good lenses in micro 4/3 are scarce. Same for Sony and E mount; I guess that's why both formats have put out adapters.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

 

The OMD can fit Olympus' full size DSLR lenses with an adapter, including their superb 12-60mm zoom and 50mm prime. Makes up for the limited selection of micro 4/3 lenses available.. well good ones, anyway.

post #225 of 310

is the lightning the only SS amp for the 009's?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Cavalli Liquid Lightning