Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 1373
Thread Starter 

Weird impedance issues aside, I think I've identified what irks you about the BA200, buggalugs.

 

Regardless of whether you listen to JPop or not (I actually don't listen to it all that much), check out BoA's 'I SEE ME' --- it's a single that Audio-Technica made into their promo for the Pro700 Mk II, and features lots of sparkly bits and cymbal hits. I tested this song in lossless against all of my IEMs, as well as my full-sized, and found that, yes, the BA200 positions the cymbals and sparkles way in the distance, while all the others have it much more forward. The BA200 makes up for this distance with depth of soundstage. The sparkly bits are supposed to travel in a circle around your head, and whereas the DBA-02 made them feel like a straight up linear pan from side to side (the GR07 is slightly better, but not by much), I could actually feel the sparkly bits travel in a noticeable oval around my head. At the same time, I felt the DBA presented the cymbal crashes a little too prominently for the occasion, with the GR07 having the most suitable presentation for the cymbals.

 

In my opinion, at least, the BA200 acquits itself for slightly less treble detail by presenting a much more three-dimensional soundstage.

 


YouTube version of 'I SEE ME' (Click to show)

 

 


 

post #92 of 1373

I had my BA200 up for sale because of the highs, or recessed highs.  I put my Chris_Himself pure silver LOD between my iPod Classic 7th Gen and Fiio E11, I had to switch the E11 back to low power....I found the highs/sparkle....and bass slam...this setup makes the BA200 a totally different sounding IEM....just unbelievable difference....the BA200 is really a very very good IEM with the right gears....highly recommend!  Some of my music makes the BA200 sound too analytical...hard to believe the highs could be that harsh.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Weird impedance issues aside, I think I've identified what irks you about the BA200, buggalugs.

 

Regardless of whether you listen to JPop or not (I actually don't listen to it all that much), check out BoA's 'I SEE ME' --- it's a single that Audio-Technica made into their promo for the Pro700 Mk II, and features lots of sparkly bits and cymbal hits. I tested this song in lossless against all of my IEMs, as well as my full-sized, and found that, yes, the BA200 positions the cymbals and sparkles way in the distance, while all the others have it much more forward. The BA200 makes up for this distance with depth of soundstage. The sparkly bits are supposed to travel in a circle around your head, and whereas the DBA-02 made them feel like a straight up linear pan from side to side (the GR07 is slightly better, but not by much), I could actually feel the sparkly bits travel in a noticeable oval around my head. At the same time, I felt the DBA presented the cymbal crashes a little too prominently for the occasion, with the GR07 having the most suitable presentation for the cymbals.

 

In my opinion, at least, the BA200 acquits itself for slightly less treble detail by presenting a much more three-dimensional soundstage.

 


YouTube version of 'I SEE ME' (Click to show)

 



 

post #93 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

I had my BA200 up for sale because of the highs, or recessed highs.  I put my Chris_Himself pure silver LOD between my iPod Classic 7th Gen and Fiio E11, I had to switch the E11 back to low power....I found the highs/sparkle....and bass slam...this setup makes the BA200 a totally different sounding IEM....just unbelievable difference....the BA200 is really a very very good IEM with the right gears....highly recommend!  Some of my music makes the BA200 sound too analytical...hard to believe the highs could be that harsh.

 



 



I really found low power/hign gain gave the most natural presentation. On my neutral phones, high power seemed less extended.

 

post #94 of 1373
Thread Starter 

I'm going to have to play with my setup sometime... right now my amp isn't gain selectable, as it only has a 'low damping factor' and 'high damping factor' output. The high damping factor output also outputs at significantly higher power levels. I can't seem to find specifications for the base output impedance on my amp (bought it when I didn't know quite as much as I do now)...

 

As for the BA200, I find the presentation absolutely fine (actually I love it) when I don't have my analytical thinking cap on. Unfortunately, I wear that hat a bit too often, and that's when I start having questions about the BA200's sparkle and extension. It's like the issue I have with the Westone 4; I think that if I just spent a day with it in my ear without trying to figure out whether it's 'worth it' to buy, I'm pretty sure I'd love it to bits, but as it stands right now, it's ranked lower than the BA200.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

I had my BA200 up for sale because of the highs, or recessed highs.  I put my Chris_Himself pure silver LOD between my iPod Classic 7th Gen and Fiio E11, I had to switch the E11 back to low power....I found the highs/sparkle....and bass slam...this setup makes the BA200 a totally different sounding IEM....just unbelievable difference....the BA200 is really a very very good IEM with the right gears....highly recommend!  Some of my music makes the BA200 sound too analytical...hard to believe the highs could be that harsh.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post


I really found low power/hign gain gave the most natural presentation. On my neutral phones, high power seemed less extended.

 

post #95 of 1373

I've played around with amps with different output impedances but don't notice any great variations in the basic sound signature. One thing I would point out is that my criticism of the BA200 has been based around the chance to listen to them during the seasonal holidays on a home system with a top quality SACD player and highly regarded desk amps, which is more of a forensic examination than they would receive with most portable gear, I suppose.

Unfortunately I still think they don't perform as well in this home situation as my other IEMs which each (in their own different ways) pass this scrutiny.

Anyway they clearly don't suit me so I'm going to wrap them up and pass them on to my fav nephew for his gaming set up when his birthday comes round.

One last word before I withdraw from this thread - any potential purchaser should have a lengthy listen before comitting to buy (this is easier said than done with iems I know).

  

post #96 of 1373


The overall impedance is only 35 ohms. Sensitivity is also quite high. Not much room for an inline resistor.

post #97 of 1373
Thread Starter 

I keep wondering about their stated specifications... it might be just measuring the drivers themselves, because when I put it in my ears, it doesn't feel like a 35 ohm, 121 db IEM... my DBAs feel more sensitive. Maybe I don't know how to gauge SPL by feel, but it definitely doesn't sound as loud as what the numbers say, to my ears at least.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

 

The overall impedance is only 35 ohms. Sensitivity is also quite high. Not much room for an inline resistor.



 

post #98 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

I keep wondering about their stated specifications... it might be just measuring the drivers themselves, because when I put it in my ears, it doesn't feel like a 35 ohm, 121 db IEM... my DBAs feel more sensitive. Maybe I don't know how to gauge SPL by feel, but it definitely doesn't sound as loud as what the numbers say, to my ears at least.
 



 



Loudness depends on three things, voltage output of the device, sensitivity, and impedance.  Voltage and sensitivity have a direct relationship with loudness, that is higher voltage or sensitivity will output higher loudness.  Impedance has an inverse relationship with loudness, higher impedance will put down the loudness. 

post #99 of 1373
Thread Starter 

Well, I've tested it against several different sources with varying power, voltage, current, etc. Against other products with similar ratings, it definitely feels softer than expected, no matter the source. However, it might very well just be psychology doing its thing. For example, I keep hearing differences between ASIO and WASAPI even they really shouldn't be different. I don't really know if TDK stuck a resistor (or RLC, whatever they chose to implement) of some sort inside the Y-split, or just decided to over-engineer that one single part for absolutely no reason, because I'm going off the word of one single TDK sales representative, and frankly it doesn't really matter.

 

The bottom line is, the BA200 is a very pleasant, smooth sounding IEM with a nice, intimate presentation that many people (perhaps just not treble lovers) should like very much.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

Loudness depends on three things, voltage output of the device, sensitivity, and impedance.  Voltage and sensitivity have a direct relationship with loudness, that is higher voltage or sensitivity will output higher loudness. Impedance has an inverse relationship with loudness, higher impedance will put down the loudness.

 

post #100 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post



Loudness depends on three things, voltage output of the device, sensitivity, and impedance.  Voltage and sensitivity have a direct relationship with loudness, that is higher voltage or sensitivity will output higher loudness.  Impedance has an inverse relationship with loudness, higher impedance will put down the loudness. 


These are neither high in impedance nor low in sesitivity so it can't be explained away in specs. Hard to say without a listen but it could be that the tonal balance of a dba is more forward on the top 1/2 of it's range. Perhaps someone could throw an ohm meter across the the ba200. It won't be exact and generally measures a bit below the true impedance but if there's a load resistor it will definitely measure higher.
 

 


Edited by goodvibes - 1/4/12 at 9:53pm
post #101 of 1373

I would say it was quite a bit less efficient than the SE535 and even UM3X.

post #102 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

I keep wondering about their stated specifications... it might be just measuring the drivers themselves, because when I put it in my ears, it doesn't feel like a 35 ohm, 121 db IEM... my DBAs feel more sensitive. Maybe I don't know how to gauge SPL by feel, but it definitely doesn't sound as loud as what the numbers say, to my ears at least.
 



If it is resistance, BA200 measures around 52ohm. However, resistance is not impedance. As a multi-BA setup, BA200 could very well have a 35ohm impedance as the general spec only quotes impedance at 1kHz.

post #103 of 1373

Interesting. It would be extremely rare for the dc resistance to measure higher than it's impedance but as you pointed out, not impossible so also not absolute proof.

post #104 of 1373
Thread Starter 

Curiouser and curiouser! If we had a square wave generator handy, we'd be able to figure it out... oh wells.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


If it is resistance, BA200 measures around 52ohm. However, resistance is not impedance. As a multi-BA setup, BA200 could very well have a 35ohm impedance as the general spec only quotes impedance at 1kHz.

 

post #105 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Curiouser and curiouser! If we had a square wave generator handy, we'd be able to figure it out... oh wells.
 

 



Not really sure thay would form a proof.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread