Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 1373
You don't need an amp. BA200 is designed to sound good from almost any source, so you should be fine.
post #212 of 1373
They sound good, but I'm not happy with the tips. The included bi-flanges have good clarity but almost no bass. The complys have nice bass and a warm sound but are not as clear as the bi-flanges.

Could I have the best of both worlds by using the bi-flanges and a bass boosting portable amp?
post #213 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tight_budget View Post

They sound good, but I'm not happy with the tips. The included bi-flanges have good clarity but almost no bass. The complys have nice bass and a warm sound but are not as clear as the bi-flanges.
Could I have the best of both worlds by using the bi-flanges and a bass boosting portable amp?

 

it's possible that the seal is not right. I had trouble with that myself - those tips seem to need to be inserted very very deeply...

post #214 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


That happens a lot on IEM with glued on filter. JAYS is pretty much the first to use this kind of double filter design on their IEM and they fall out just as fast, and that was 4~5 years ago. However, think of the alternative when your earwax stick to the inner filter and you have to sent the whole IEM back for repair, now that would suck big time (just ask any Westone owner who has this problem before). Anyway, it is ideal but it is still reasonable. Just don't remove the eartips at all or be careful next time you need to take them off. I had one side of it fall out as well when I was cleaning the eartips, but I stick it back right away and it is still in there.

Thanks for the explanation Clie...

Anyway Imation was nice enough to get me a replacement set and give me the extension cord as a added precaution. 

Had a nice and long chat with their CS Tech about the strain reliefs, flatness of the cable as well as the Y-split.

They share the same concerns and have given feedback to TDK as some users have RMA due to the strain reliefs and cable breaking.

But it's also the best seller for them in 2012 and should provide impetus for better products from them.

post #215 of 1373

TDK BA200 Impressions.

 

My first venture into the IEM world past the $200 mark, I got the Ba200 2 weeks ago and it sounded hollow and everything sounded like its at a 45* angle. I couldn't stand listening for more than 5 minutes.i tried everything from switching amps, sources, even replaced the filters and it didn't do anything to improve (nor to correct) the sound. Reading all the reviews from very respectable reviewers here, I thought to myself, they are probably defective. So I got them replaced by the dealer (They have great service). and lo and behold, I was right! My first pair were in fact, defective.

 

Now this new unit sounds a lot different. The previously muffled highs came to life, everything sounded balanced with each instrument placed where the engineers wanted them to be. I was really impressed, so much that I wanted to share my personal opinion about these particular IEMs. As a disclaimer, I am just getting into the IEM scene. I never write reviews, and in fact this will be my very first. (If you would call my impressions a review). But i do have over 15 years experience as a professional musician and coming from the Conservatory of Music, listening to my own instrument (Piano and percussions) and my buddies practice their individual instrument day in and day out. So I would say I have a pretty good idea of how each instrument should sound. (But do take my opinion as it is....My opinion) In the interest of being consistent, I will be comparing the BA200 to how I remember live music and to my old trusty RE0.

 

Setup:

 

Listening to Diana Krall's "The Girl in the Other Room" Album in FLAC played on a very weird setup ---- A Macbook Pro connected to an FiiO E10 via USB (I know its not ideal but because the E10 has coax input) with the line out connected to a Cary Audio Design sli-30 integrated tube amplifier. (Yes it is not a headphone amp). I also use the stock comply tips.

 

Now on to the sound/Soundstage and other stuff on a particular track "The Girl in the Other Room"

 

Highs:

 

The ride cymbal is slightly to the left of the stage, hi-hats almost dead center (A little to the left), cymbals crashes with attack at both sides extending a few inches past the left of your left ear and right of your right ear with just the right amount of reverb. I agree it does not have the sparkling highs of say the RE0, but the soundstage is pretty good. Air and timbre are both correct and very natural (More natural than the RE0) (I tried the bi-flanges and they sound more detailed, but also less natural with the sound that seems piped out of a thin hollow tube. (So back to the comply tips)

 

Mids/high Mids:

 

Guitars playing at the lower left side is clear and fast that notes do not linger to distract you from the spaces in between. Diana's voice is at the center stage in front of everything else, with reverbs decay slightly to the right and are textured but I wont describe them as smooth. Her vocals have a little bit of grit as if you can hear her vocal flaps vibrate. Piano's slightly to the right but lower octaves dead center or just a little to the left with an airy sound as if in a large, but slightly dampened studio. Not totally dry

 

Bass/Lower Mids:

 


The bass (Upright) sounds full with string noise present with a few fret noises here and there. The bass drum, while not as had hitting, does have pretty good impact. This is where I wish it had a little bit more kick. These are not bass light but I would say kick it up a tad at the 90-120hz region to give it a little more kick. (But I don't use EQs). The best part is, that the bass is present and does not overpower everything else. Midbass is also present but just so that vocals sound warm but not nasal and muddy. I would say, just right...
 
Transients/Speed/Attack:
 

These have good speed with the right amount of attack. Transients come off strong with the snare drum sounding powerful and quick with just the right amount of decay. I can guess these may have the tendency to get muddy with fast and sub-bass-ey tracks with a lot of percussions. I dont know...:)

Instrument separation is good with just the right amount of space between them. What I like is the air in between hard hitting notes, because of a very fast mid-midbass response, can stop on a dime and open up these spaces.

 

But enough of the technicalities.

 

These are very musical with a very engaging and "true" timbre especially with cymbals and guitar string noise. Vocals are intimate, but can sometimes sound just a little bit artificial with the upper "hiss-grit" of voices sounding a little too emphasized). Instruments sound as if they were well put together. Unlike  in the RE0's where each instrument seem like they sitting on each of their own separate track, the BA200 can put instruments together and actually sing with melody. I find listening to them is very relaxing and I am not forced to analyze every detail or compare how they sound to all my other equipment.

 

 

I wouldn't use them on stage though because I am afraid I will break the complicated armatures if I use them as my monitor while playing. They sound as if they are delicate, and probably because of my experience with the faulty unit, I am a little paranoid...So I will do my very best to take care of these little gems.

 

Overall I am inclined to think that the BA200s were designed to reach out to both my professional and technical side without ignoring the casual listener in me. They are detailed, natural sounding, fun, and can be analytical if I want them to be. These do everything well without overly exposing a lot of recording faults, but still technical enough to be considered reference.

 
I would recommend them to those that are new to IEMs as their upgrade from an entry level phone. I consider these mid level as they are in many ways, ahead of my RE0.

Edited by Annafrancesca - 10/29/12 at 8:39pm
post #216 of 1373

Great Job on the review.  I picked them up a few weeks ago as well.  Amazon has them for about $160 right now which is really a great deal on these.  It is too bad there isn't more hype for these.

post #217 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithguy19 View Post

Great Job on the review.  I picked them up a few weeks ago as well.  Amazon has them for about $160 right now which is really a great deal on these.  It is too bad there isn't more hype for these.

 

Thank you faithguy19. I completely agree. It is one of those IEMs that, unfortunately, only a few have had the opportunity to enjoy, which is unfortunate because they sound so beautiful. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I am having a hard time putting them down.

 

Cheers!


Edited by Annafrancesca - 10/29/12 at 7:35pm
post #218 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annafrancesca View Post

TDK BA200 Impressions.

 

My first venture into the IEM world past the $200 mark, I got the Ba200 2 weeks ago and it sounded hollow and everything sounded like its at a 45* angle. I couldn't stand listening for more than 5 minutes.i tried everything from switching amps, sources, even replaced the filters and it didn't do anything to improve (nor to correct) the sound. Reading all the reviews from very respectable reviewers here, I thought to myself, they are probably defective. So I got them replaced by the dealer (They have great service). and lo and behold, I was right! My first pair were in fact, defective.

 

Now this new unit sounds a lot different. The previously muffled highs came to life, everything sounded balanced with each instrument placed where the engineers wanted them to be. I was really impressed, so much that I wanted to share my personal opinion about these particular IEMs. As a disclaimer, I am just getting into the IEM scene. I never write reviews, and in fact this will be my very first. (If you would call my impressions a review). But i do have over 15 years experience as a professional musician and coming from the Conservatory of Music, listening to my own instrument (Piano and percussions) and my buddies practice their individual instrument day in and day out. So I would say I have a pretty good idea of how each instrument should sound. (But do take my opinion as it is....My opinion) In the interest of being consistent, I will be comparing the BA200 to how I remember live music and to my old trusty RE0.

 

Setup:

 

Listening to Diana Krall's "The Girl in the Other Room" Album in FLAC played on a very weird setup ---- A Macbook Pro connected to an FiiO E10 via USB (I know its not ideal but because the E10 has coax input) with the line out connected to a Cary Audio Design sli-30 integrated tube amplifier. (Yes it is not a headphone amp). I also use the stock comply tips.

 

Now on to the sound/Soundstage and other stuff on a particular track "The Girl in the Other Room"

 

Highs:

 

The ride cymbal is slightly to the left of the stage, hi-hats almost dead center (A little to the left), cymbals crashes with attack at both sides extending a few inches past the left of your left ear and right of your right ear with just the right amount of reverb. I agree it does not have the sparkling highs of say the RE0, but the soundstage is pretty good. Air and timbre are both correct and very natural (More natural than the RE0) (I tried the bi-flanges and they sound more detailed, but also less natural with the sound that seems piped out of a thin hollow tube. (So back to the comply tips)

 

Mids/high Mids:

 

Guitars playing at the lower left side is clear and fast that notes do not linger to distract you from the spaces in between. Diana's voice is at the center stage in front of everything else, with reverbs decay slightly to the right and are textured but I wont describe them as smooth. Her vocals have a little bit of grit as if you can hear her vocal flaps vibrate. Piano's slightly to the right but lower octaves dead center or just a little to the left with an airy sound as if in a large, but slightly dampened studio. Not totally dry

 

Bass/Lower Mids:

 


The bass (Upright) sounds full with string noise present with a few fret noises here and there. The bass drum, while not as had hitting, does have pretty good impact. This is where I wish it had a little bit more kick. These are not bass light but I would say kick it up a tad at the 90-120hz region to give it a little more kick. (But I don't use EQs). The best part is, that the bass is present and does not overpower everything else. Midbass is also present but just so that vocals sound warm but not nasal and muddy. I would say, just right...
 
Transients/Speed/Attack:
 

These have good speed with the right amount of attack. Transients come off strong with the snare drum sounding powerful and quick with just the right amount of decay. I can guess these may have the tendency to get muddy with fast and sub-bass-ey tracks with a lot of percussions. I dont know...:)

Instrument separation is good with just the right amount of space between them. What I like is the air in between hard hitting notes, because of a very fast mid-midbass response, can stop on a dime and open up these spaces.

 

But enough of the technicalities.

 

These are very musical with a very engaging and "true" timbre especially with cymbals and guitar string noise. Vocals are intimate, but can sometimes sound just a little bit artificial with the upper "hiss-grit" of voices sounding a little too emphasized). Instruments sound as if they were well put together. Unlike  in the RE0's where each instrument seem like they sitting on each of their own separate track, the BA200 can put instruments together and actually sing with melody. I find listening to them is very relaxing and I am not forced to analyze every detail or compare how they sound to all my other equipment.

 

 

I wouldn't use them on stage though because I am afraid I will break the complicated armatures if I use them as my monitor while playing. They sound as if they are delicate, and probably because of my experience with the faulty unit, I am a little paranoid...So I will do my very best to take care of these little gems.

 

Overall I am inclined to think that the BA200s were designed to reach out to both my professional and technical side without ignoring the casual listener in me. They are detailed, natural sounding, fun, and can be analytical if I want them to be. These do everything well without overly exposing a lot of recording faults, but still technical enough to be considered reference.

 
I would recommend them to those that are new to IEMs as their upgrade from an entry level phone. I consider these mid level as they are in many ways, ahead of my RE0.

Glad you're enjoying them, they're still my favourite-sounding IEM that I've owned

post #219 of 1373
@Emospence - Yes. They do sound beautiful and i like them a lot. biggrin.gif
post #220 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annafrancesca View Post

TDK BA200 Impressions.

 

Great writeup, thanks! smile_phones.gif

 

If it hadn't been for their unwieldy Y-splitter, I would have kept the BA200. Soundwise, they were among the best IEMs I know in this price range.

post #221 of 1373

After selling my T-Peos H-100 I went ahead and ordered a pair of these for $149 with free shipping from BuyDig.com which seems like a really good price for how good people say these sound.  I think I'm really going to like them because they're more my type of sound signature being a warmer BA so I'm looking forward to getting them.

post #222 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

After selling my T-Peos H-100 I went ahead and ordered a pair of these for $149 with free shipping from BuyDig.com which seems like a really good price for how good people say these sound.  I think I'm really going to like them because they're more my type of sound signature being a warmer BA so I'm looking forward to getting them.

I think you will like them :)

post #223 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Great writeup, thanks! smile_phones.gif

 

If it hadn't been for their unwieldy Y-splitter, I would have kept the BA200. Soundwise, they were among the best IEMs I know in this price range.

 

Thank you for appreciating. I agree with you, the splitter is quite large. I've been bold enough to pull it open to reveal the impedance filter/crossover unit. It seems to have a complicated system in place. I also think it has some sort of a delay filter that processes dead center signals to make it sound more airy. But I am just guessing :)

post #224 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annafrancesca View Post

Thank you for appreciating. I agree with you, the splitter is quite large.

 

Actually, it was rather the shape than the size, that drove me over the edge. If they'd made it all rounded, I probably would have put up with the size. But those sharp edges kept getting caught on shirt buttons, jacket zippers and whatnot, until my patience ran out. It's a shame, such a simple and stupid design fault. Don't these folks ever try their own products in the field?

 


Edited by james444 - 11/2/12 at 3:27pm
post #225 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Actually, it was rather the shape than the size, that drove me over the edge. If they'd made it all rounded, I probably would have put up with the size. But those sharp edges kept getting caught on shirt buttons, jacket zippers and whatnot, until my patience ran out. It's a shame, such a simple and stupid design fault. Don't these folks ever try their own products in the field?

 

 

The reason the splitter is that large is because it has some kind of stabilizing circuit that helps it sound good with different sources. That's a really good idea because instead of having to use one of my portable amps I can just use the IEM's because amping isn't always necessary but with a pmp that has a high output impedance you have to sometime or some IEM's sound like crap.


Edited by Techno Kid - 11/2/12 at 9:23pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread