Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSlimSeto View Post

Let me guess, the GR07 is probably their greatest competitor.

Price wise, GR07 will be its competitor. Sound signature wise, UM3X is its main competitor. Even at MSRP, BA200 will win over UM3X. The fact that you can find BA200 in Singapore for less than $200 is really quite a great deal for the local. I was planning to pick up a UM3X but right now I have lost that desire after I have the BA200.
post #17 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


Price wise, GR07 will be its competitor. Sound signature wise, UM3X is its main competitor. Even at MSRP, BA200 will win over UM3X. The fact that you can find BA200 in Singapore for less than $200 is really quite a great deal for the local. I was planning to pick up a UM3X but right now I have lost that desire after I have the BA200.


Better than the UM3X? My interest is piqued.

post #18 of 1414
Thread Starter 

I'm surprised you like it so much. I like it too, but I think I'd still get a UM3x given the opportunity. The UM3x is such a special type of IEM, pretty much unlike any other IEM out there. Everything is tuned so close to the ear, but still very spatially correct. I say it's a very special IEM to this day. I'd pick the BA200 over the W4 though. Just my $0.02.

 

To me, the BA200 feels like the ultimate workhorse. It will literally do everything, and well too. I can listen to it without being forced to analyze music, but if I want to, I can still do it. I can't really fault it in anything except maybe that the transition between drivers is noticeable when using silicone tips.

 

In terms of price, I'd still price it lower simply because it is still a dual driver IEM, and it can sound like one at times. With most dual driver IEMs hovering around the $200 price point these days, $250 makes it unattractive on the market. Maybe it's reasonable to price it at $250 in terms of pure sound quality, but TDK is the underdog when it comes to brand recognition and thus should probably price it more competitively to attract customers. I got it at an incredible street price actually ---- if I told you guys how much I got it for, you'd all be screaming highway robbery!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Price wise, GR07 will be its competitor. Sound signature wise, UM3X is its main competitor. Even at MSRP, BA200 will win over UM3X. The fact that you can find BA200 in Singapore for less than $200 is really quite a great deal for the local. I was planning to pick up a UM3X but right now I have lost that desire after I have the BA200.

 

post #19 of 1414

@tomscy2000, nice review.

post #20 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

 

IMG_20111216_125924.jpg

 

 

 

TDK BA200 Accessories

 



It looks so good...

 

post #21 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post



It looks so good...

 



It sounds so good..........

 

post #22 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSlimSeto View Post



Better than the UM3X? My interest is piqued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

I'm surprised you like it so much. I like it too, but I think I'd still get a UM3x given the opportunity. ...

I won't say BA200 is better than UM3X, but they are comparable or even on par in most places. I have had the chance to A/B the two for a lengthy time as my cousin owns a pair of UM3X. There are things that UM3X is better at, such as a sweeter vocal, and a more textured mid~low end body. But BA200 has something that UM3X doesn't have as well, such a livelier presentation with better speed and a more neutral tone. Even my cousin, an UM3X lover, agrees that BA200 makes a great UM3X alternative. I am not much of a 'driver-number believer'. If a $250 IEM can sound almost as good as a $350 IEM, it is always a better deal to get the $250 IEM.
post #23 of 1414

I didn't believe in driver numbers either, until I heard the UM Mage and UM Miracle demo units. Now I'm waiting for a UM Mage sound in a universal IEM.

post #24 of 1414
Thread Starter 

Yup, and it feels even better. I dare say, it's the most comfortable IEM I've ever tried, even over the GR07. It goes super deep and I don't even feel remotely fatigued.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

It looks so good...

Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

It sounds so good..........

 

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all; the BA200 is a great UM3x alternative. I was just trying to make the point that dual driver IEMs somehow all sound similar in terms of body, and triple driver ones also sound similar with respect to body --- not saying that triple driver ones actually sound better, but they do envelop the sound easier. I'm not much of a number believer either; I actually like the slightly thinner bodied presentation of dual drivers more, which is why I don't have any triple driver IEMs.

 

With respect to price, I'm just merely making rhetorical "marketing suggestions" to TDK. SQ-wise, the BA200 is definitely worth $250; more casual listeners might not realize it, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I won't say BA200 is better than UM3X, but they are comparable or even on par in most places. I have had the chance to A/B the two for a lengthy time as my cousin owns a pair of UM3X. There are things that UM3X is better at, such as a sweeter vocal, and a more textured mid~low end body. But BA200 has something that UM3X doesn't have as well, such a livelier presentation with better speed and a more neutral tone. Even my cousin, an UM3X lover, agrees that BA200 makes a great UM3X alternative. I am not much of a 'driver-number believer'. If a $250 IEM can sound almost as good as a $350 IEM, it is always a better deal to get the $250 IEM.

 

Custom SQ is so hard to duplicate with universals. I'm starting to believe it's a pipe dream. The W4 never did blow me away. In a few years, maybe.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

I didn't believe in driver numbers either, until I heard the UM Mage and UM Miracle demo units. Now I'm waiting for a UM Mage sound in a universal IEM.

 

post #25 of 1414

Anymore reviews and impressions on this iem? on the verge of buying it!

post #26 of 1414

Thanks for the impressions :), I heard it and thought it had rather good separation.

post #27 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl000 View Post

Anymore reviews and impressions on this iem? on the verge of buying it!



The TDK BA200 I personally find are quite sweet and smooth sounding. The instrumental separation and clarity on these are pretty good too. But one might find that they lack bass, so it wouldn't suit a basshead.  They are also very comfortable ^^. Highs and mids are really smooth and neutral sounding too. Lows are good, but like I said, it wouldn't fit a basshead.

post #28 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl000 View Post

Anymore reviews and impressions on this iem? on the verge of buying it!


Just get one and you won't regret it.. The price for BA200 makes it some of the best deal in Singapore right now. You can find one less than US$200 in Stereo Electronic., last I visited there.
post #29 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


Just get one and you won't regret it.. The price for BA200 makes it some of the best deal in Singapore right now. You can find one less than US$200 in Stereo Electronic., last I visited there.



Yup, its retailing at $229 and a 10% discount is going on for this month. Would you consider it an upgrade over the vsonicgr07 or the jvc fxt90?

post #30 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl000 View Post


Yup, its retailing at $229 and a 10% discount is going on for this month. Would you consider it an upgrade over the vsonicgr07 or the jvc fxt90?

It is at least on par, if not slightly better than GR07. Definitely better than FXT90
Edited by ClieOS - 12/24/11 at 1:30am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK BA200 - Appreciation Thread