or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled! - Page 140

post #2086 of 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieann View Post
 

the 1840s are absolutely unreal.....So much detail, and unbelievable clarity

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalieann View Post
 

For acoustic music, these (1840) are unmatched.....I was seriously laughing out loud while listing to these this morning....The mid clarity, and soundstage--WOW!


Agree. These headphones are special. They got crapped on because they didn't, uh, "measure well" and other snobbery..

post #2087 of 2105

Yes indeed. It is to me like having two small but good LS playing in a small room. Sometimes I dont know, am I listening to them or to the LS? ... It is just amazing. After tons of a/b testing vs HD800 it is always the same what I think once I put on the HD800 like "damn', something is missing here ......", It is like it is!

 

This magazine comments on an Headamp worth $3.000 and picked up the SRH1840 (balanced only!!) and one other called Ultrasone whatever worth $1.000 and are delighted with what they heard, see: http://www.musikae.fr/resources/hEADAdigifiVol14.pdf ..... Anyway not telling the HD800 is poor but the SRH1840 has just one fault .... it is way to cheap !!!!!!

 


Edited by Molins - 1/18/16 at 9:47am
post #2088 of 2105

I've considered these to be my summit headphones. Unfortunately with no headphone stores near me, I have to rely on user input.
I'm coming from the Etymotic ER4S where everything is near neutral, coming across a similar frequency response chart that is the SRH-1840. These could possibly be my summit headphones. The reason I look for neutral is because I want a headphone that works with every genre, no more no less. The ER4S is capable of that, and I hope the Shure SRH-1840's will too.
 

Edit: I'm not interested in the bass distortion thing, I'll just buy them when I get the funds and judge them for myself. It seems like a fairly personal topic here.

Edit 2: The distortion is real (based on graphs) welp.


Edited by Nec3 - 2/24/16 at 10:30am
post #2089 of 2105
Deals are around on these bought a like new pair for 237.00 very impressed so far with its imaging and detail retrieval even compared to my phvi and 1540
post #2090 of 2105

Just sharing my 1840 :)

IMG_0380.JPG

 

i can say that 1840 is Neutral, nothing to is put to emphasis nor boosts certain regions. I am not sure why this headphones are snobbed by many people? is it because of the bandwagon effect from other products? sometimes i question myself if i made the right decision on choosing this one but everytime i sit down and listen to it, it makes me wonder if this is not good enough, then what will be the difference form those top tier category? yes it is not cheap but i feel the thing that makes me question my purchase is the assurance that i got a good headphones. :)

 

but for those looking for "bass" this will not satisfy you. What the headphones do is to present the bass as it is but will not emphasize on it until it needs to.

post #2091 of 2105
Ill say this My phvi to my ears are totl sound and so are the 1840's imho. People usually cant agree on anything ..different strokes for different folks but dont let that diminish these great headphones for you smily_headphones1.gif to me the diminishing returns aspect has been reached to a point im content ymmv
post #2092 of 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiGuY1017 View Post

Ill say this My phvi to my ears are totl sound and so are the 1840's imho. People usually cant agree on anything ..different strokes for different folks but dont let that diminish these great headphones for you smily_headphones1.gif to me the diminishing returns aspect has been reached to a point im content ymmv

 

Thank you Sir!

 

By the way are there any after market upgrade cables for our 1840? :)

post #2093 of 2105
You can go the balanced route i dont have the upstream equipment for that rightnow so not looking into it myself but there may be upgraded options out there to haven't looked yet. I do love the balance of these 1840's clean & clear, no distortion that i can hear
post #2094 of 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by whill View Post

 


 

sometimes i question myself if i made the right decision on choosing this one but everytime i sit down and listen to it, it makes me wonder if this is not good enough, then what will be the difference form those top tier category?


This is exactly what I often think, but these doubts disappear after listening a couple of hours to the Shure........ I had here an HD800 brand new that I could source really cheap. After decent period of break-in I paired it in balanced mode with my HD53N and tested vs. SRH1840, again and again, a/b tests more and more back and forward .... until I gave up. It is a tremendous headphone but it gave me nothing I haven't heard before, everything was more than just accurate, everything fine, every note where it is supposed to be, but it did not caught me, nothing was really emotional, it did not take me away like the Shure does. I was even biased to see the HD800 in front in terms of stage and scene because of the value, the money it costs, etc., nothing helped, I had to surrender, I sold it ...........


 

But lamentably I did not learn so much from this episode :-( .... I am now in the process of breaking-in an HE-560 just out of curiosity, if something could be out there (maybe in planar's world?) in the range below €1000 that gives me more than those SRH1840  ......... will see!


Edited by Molins - 3/20/16 at 3:39am
post #2095 of 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molins View Post
 


This is exactly what I often think, but these doubts disappear after listening a couple of hours to the Shure........ I had here an HD800 brand new that I could source really cheap. After decent period of break-in I paired it in balanced mode with my HD53N and tested vs. SRH1840, again and again, a/b tests more and more back and forward .... until I gave up. It is a tremendous headphone but it gave me nothing I haven't heard before, everything was more than just accurate, everything fine, every note where it is supposed to be, but it did not caught me, nothing was really emotional, it did not take me away like the Shure does. I was even biased to see the HD800 in front in terms of stage and scene because of the value, the money it costs, etc., nothing helped, I had to surrender, I sold it ...........


 

But lamentably I did not learn so much from this episode :-( .... I am now in the process of breaking-in an HE-560 just out of curiosity, if something could be out there (maybe in planar's world?) in the range below €1000 that gives me more than those SRH1840  ......... will see!

 

Hi Mr. Molins,

 

What are the equipment you paired with the 1840?

 

:)

post #2096 of 2105

I stream FLAC or even internet radio mp3@128 into a TEAC NP-H750, this paired to my CEC HD53N amplifier and listen to the 1840, this is how it looks like: 

 

post #2097 of 2105

Are these Lavri Cables Mr. Molins?

post #2098 of 2105

Yes, they are. 100% silver 8-core, around 2,00m long, around €220 paid for.

post #2099 of 2105

I am planning to get one of those.

 

May i ask how's the sound? i am currently using a generic Furukawa Cables that i bought in Ebay.

post #2100 of 2105

I am more than happy with them, it is like day and night in terms of fast response, stage, balance, tonality ..... it takes me away, it became kind of addiction, not good :-) !!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!