Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled! - Page 115

post #1711 of 2016

I've owned the SRH1440 and SRH1840, and I liked them both. Had no idea they "distorted" so much.

 

Then again, so did the K550, but I liked that headphone too! tongue_smile.gif

post #1712 of 2016

Maybe measurements have nothing to do with headphone enjoyment. Wow, what if that were so!!

post #1713 of 2016

Nor would I straw man people listening to a set of headphones who hear issues they don't find enjoyable that try to offer technical explanations for what they hear.  I think the new Shures suck because they sound bad to my ears, period.  Just like the new D7100 and the K550.  Looking for a reason why and we note a recent trend developing, distortion.  Go figure.  The 1440 is the second worst headphone I have ever heard and would take a Beats Studio Pro over it anyday.  Now, maybe we heard the same set that Tyll also heard and they are anomalies, until I hear another set to indicate otherwise, no way could I recommend these to anyone w/ an overly critical ear for technical performance.

post #1714 of 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

On a personal level, they really don't. That would be a serious misconception of measurements.

This deserves to be +1'd.

And I think unfortunately this simple reality is forgotten when people start breaking out the charts. The only place I think measurements can be used prescriptively is the "I want a lot of isolation" threads - as long as we don't care about anything else, that's very easily observed and we can make all sorts of suggestions from it.
post #1715 of 2016
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

 

Everyone has a right to a bad opinion.  

 

 

Wow, so if an opinion does not match yours, it's a bad one?

post #1716 of 2016

Yes.

 

Anax thinks I have bad taste in liking the W3000ANV. But I don't care.


Edited by purrin - 9/8/12 at 7:44am
post #1717 of 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

Yes.

 

Anax thinks I have bad taste in liking the W3000ANV. But I don't care.

 

Lol! tongue.gif

post #1718 of 2016
Just to throw in a bit more fuel in the fire, when listening to live performances, we are also listening to a fair amount of distortion, both harmonic (which often adds "character") and intermodulation (which is most often unpleasant) The only way to totally eliminate this distortion is to listen to monophonic sine wave tones.

With instruments of various types playing music that is not all even octaves, the harmonics of all these instruments combine to provide more "distortion" than probably the worst-measuring headphones. Most of use do, however, enjoy live music regardless of the fact that it contains distortion.

I might also add that many "audiophiles" have spent BIG bucks on esoteric tube amps so that they can enjoy the second harmonic distortion that give them that beloved "tube sound".

Please note that I am not defending or criticizing any particular headphone here. I am simply playing the devil_face.gif advocate!
post #1719 of 2016

Now we can even compound all that inclusive distortion by amplifying it at the transducer.  Progress!  wink.gif

 

That whole 'people like tube sound because of 2nd order distortion' is an unproven urban myth.  That would actually be one of the easiest tests to perform but hasn't been to my knowledge.  

 

Just playing the counter evil_smiley.gif advocate.  

post #1720 of 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

Yes.

Anax thinks I have bad taste in liking the W3000ANV. But I don't care.

Lol! +1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Now we can even compound all that inclusive distortion by amplifying it at the transducer.  Progress!  wink.gif

That whole 'people like tube sound because of 2nd order distortion' is an unproven urban myth.  That would actually be one of the easiest tests to perform but hasn't been to my knowledge.  

Just playing the counter evil_smiley.gif  advocate.  

This also. I don't get why distortion is some sort of badge of honor - sure you can characterize specific kinds of distortion, but without a real preference study, how do you know if they're doing anything for you? And then if we say okay tubes have "good" distortion, does that mean massively distorting transducers is going to do the same thing?

I'm not really taking a side here, but I agree with anax's argument on a logical level.
post #1721 of 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrax View Post


Ok, now my impression with SRH1440:

This is by far best sounding headphone, I ever heard. It leaves behind DT880, HD600, HD650, AKG 701, Q701, AD900. Other's I didn't have borrowed.

The only thing I don't like, is, that it's really bass light, and too bright. Both of these things can be adjusted. Brightness by dalethorn's mod. And basses can be improved by equaliser.

Saying, it's second worst sounding phone, it's just too much.

I have side-by-side comparsion with HD600, and HD600 is noticable behind SRH1440 in all aspects, except bass. Still, I find HD600 as overall better sounding headphone, because, the basses are just too much for me, and are needed for my preference at least at point, the HD600 have. But in many many bass lights tracks, the SRH1440 rocks more.

 

If you are willing to do the mod, try it. Even one layer of foam does very much.

And use this scheme with equaliser. I would be curious on your feelings after.

 

how bad does the SQ on the DT880 compared to the 1440? , which DT880 that you use for doing the comparison?

post #1722 of 2016

I can see how the Shures are going down the path that the HD650s have of becoming polarizing cans. Either you like em or you hate em. This is also proving by popular opinion that graphs, measurements and logical theory gets thrown out the window when subjectiveness is called into play while evaluating gear. Neither is right or wrong. At the very least, I hope we don't devolve into a hydrogenaudio state where objectivity is the ONLY rationale explanation on sound quality and everyone else's "opinions" mean squat. Please don't let it get to this point.

post #1723 of 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

Just agree with him and don't trade any equipment. Otherwise he'll go psycho on you. I have firsthand account from others. If don't believe me, consider that he's been banned at four headphone related forums: here, Headphiles, my site, and another.

 

 

What's your site?

post #1724 of 2016

There's no doubt the 1440 are bright and lean cans, but the hyperbole being expressed here is ridiculous. Although, I can imagine myself likely having the same reaction on some days of the week. Hence, my distaste for impressions not based on long-term ownership. You need a few days at the very least to begin to make a coherent stable assessment. One that isn't likely to change after some time of listening.

 

Mood, time of day, physiologic variation (circadian rhythm) all affect sound perception, not to mention your baseline moulded by what you've become accustomed to. For example, an HD650 owner would probably throw the SRH940 at the wall the first time he hears them. The HD800, HE6, K701, or SRH1440, SRH1840 owner would probably not have the same reaction. It takes a few days for you to adjust, and then one's impression can very easily change.

 

These are only a few of the numerous factors that emphasize the importance of *time* and experience with headphones/audio equipment in general. Nothing compares to owning the item. 1 day impressions mean very little, especially if you have little experience to begin with. Hopefully, people realize this when appraising reviews and comments made on Head-Fi...

post #1725 of 2016

BTW, I personally found the 1440 too hot for my tastes ultimately, but If one builds a synergistic system around them, they can sound quite good (esp for their price).  I ended up keeping the 1840 instead, which I think are the best in their price range still. Yes, the bass is a little slow and lean, no they're not as hyper-detailed as the HD800s, no they don't have the body/slam of the LCD-2/3 or even the HE6, but they sound balanced, forgiving, open and don't commit any major offences. I find them to be a jack of all trades headphone, one that I'd pick over the T1 or HD650. Actually, speaking of the HD650, the 1840 feel like a natural upgrade from them (except in some areas of bass, for reasons mentioned earlier).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!