Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which would you get? Dt990 Pros or Ultrasone DJ1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which would you get? Dt990 Pros or Ultrasone DJ1? - Page 2

post #16 of 30

I saw it mentioned above, I'd like to second the advice for the DJ1 PRO/PRO 550 (same headphone, different shell). I bought the PRO 550 a few months ago, and I really love it. It has strong bass and a massive soundstage. The bass isn't like head-shaking, it's a more balanced sound, but it definitely has a low end focus and if it was being amped or EQ'd the bass would probably be stronger. I'd recommend this over the DJ1/HFI 580, which may have stronger bass (from what I've read online) but just generally is inferior in terms of sound quality. I can't speak for the other model you're looking at, but I can't find them for your budget. The PRO 550/DJ1 Pro really seems like it would serve your purposes well; I know it does for me.

post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmorebase View Post



I dont have a job, im 17, and i cant try them, i live in puerto rico. only good things here are the speakers/subs, not headphones. so yeah...blah.



Too bad there's no rum from there that I want or I can swap you with my DJ-1. Aside from recommending you to get a part time, there are some tips regarding buying stuff without a chance to try them on:

 

1. If opinions diverge, skip. Good products probably have generally favorable review. This rule doesn't apply to marketing toys like Beats.

2. If anything sounds not right, or additional stuff is required to perform with the stuff you're looking for, skip. Unlimited budget can always get you anywhere.

3. Look for the general approach of the company and the product. If it's too niche or not matching your requirement, then skip. I generally stick with well established (not meaning they are market popular, but time and quality tested) brands.

 

While Ultrasone may try to convince you that they are making real pro stuff, keep in mind that they had only been in around for 20 years or something, and they did much more on marketing than Beyer. And quality price ratio isn't that great too. I allot them for enjoyment of music, not work. So I am happy with the DJ and HFI line for casual use, and they sounds fantastic with nearly any source.

 

Beyer is a company with glorious history and remains in my heart as the no.1 headphone producer. I only get their higher end stuff, and they require serious hardware to drive.

 

You may also wish to take note that Beyer's design has a better ergonomic than Ultrasone, Ultra-phones is tough-built but may not be as comfortably wearing for longer hours.

post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredWong View Post





Too bad there's no rum from there that I want or I can swap you with my DJ-1. Aside from recommending you to get a part time, there are some tips regarding buying stuff without a chance to try them on:

 

1. If opinions diverge, skip. Good products probably have generally favorable review. This rule doesn't apply to marketing toys like Beats.

2. If anything sounds not right, or additional stuff is required to perform with the stuff you're looking for, skip. Unlimited budget can always get you anywhere.

3. Look for the general approach of the company and the product. If it's too niche or not matching your requirement, then skip. I generally stick with well established (not meaning they are market popular, but time and quality tested) brands.

 

While Ultrasone may try to convince you that they are making real pro stuff, keep in mind that they had only been in around for 20 years or something, and they did much more on marketing than Beyer. And quality price ratio isn't that great too. I allot them for enjoyment of music, not work. So I am happy with the DJ and HFI line for casual use, and they sounds fantastic with nearly any source.

 

Beyer is a company with glorious history and remains in my heart as the no.1 headphone producer. I only get their higher end stuff, and they require serious hardware to drive.

 

You may also wish to take note that Beyer's design has a better ergonomic than Ultrasone, Ultra-phones is tough-built but may not be as comfortably wearing for longer hours.



 

The only thing is that mainly , ultrasone>Beyer in bass

post #19 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahZ View Post

I saw it mentioned above, I'd like to second the advice for the DJ1 PRO/PRO 550 (same headphone, different shell). I bought the PRO 550 a few months ago, and I really love it. It has strong bass and a massive soundstage. The bass isn't like head-shaking, it's a more balanced sound, but it definitely has a low end focus and if it was being amped or EQ'd the bass would probably be stronger. I'd recommend this over the DJ1/HFI 580, which may have stronger bass (from what I've read online) but just generally is inferior in terms of sound quality. I can't speak for the other model you're looking at, but I can't find them for your budget. The PRO 550/DJ1 Pro really seems like it would serve your purposes well; I know it does for me.



 

You lost me at it isn't head shaking...are there no options for people that want head shaking bass (bass heads) but with great Sound quality? :(

post #20 of 30
Thread Starter 

Well there are the 900 pros but they are too much...gaaaaaah dunno what to do...I think I'll just get the hfi 780 for 125 and then flip it for 200 and en hopefully with Christmas gifts, be able to buy the 900 pros

 

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmorebase View Post



 

You lost me at it isn't head shaking...are there no options for people that want head shaking bass (bass heads) but with great Sound quality? :(


Yeah, I know a phone with sky high treble, mellow and warm mids, powerful and comforting bass - that's the Beyerdyamic T1. But I guess that's a bit out of yours and mine budget ATM. lol

 

post #22 of 30

Tried the XB-500s today. 

 

Meh.

 

Lot's of midbass, not a ton of sub-bass, wasn't very detailed. That was in a loud environment though, so who knows. I'd go with 580s or something of the sort. I'm getting some soon. 

post #23 of 30
Thread Starter 

http://whosclou.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/kees-mod-ultrasone-pro-900-vs-stock-hfi-780/ hfi seems funner than the 900 pros here lol...can anyone judge the bass of the 680,990 and 780? Thanks.

post #24 of 30

Pro 550 and HFI 580 have nearly identical levels of bass.  I've owned both and compared them side to side and the difference is almost indiscernible, especially after EQing.  Only differences I noticed were tamer highs, better soundstage and slightly more forward mids on the 550's. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahZ View Post

I saw it mentioned above, I'd like to second the advice for the DJ1 PRO/PRO 550 (same headphone, different shell). I bought the PRO 550 a few months ago, and I really love it. It has strong bass and a massive soundstage. The bass isn't like head-shaking, it's a more balanced sound, but it definitely has a low end focus and if it was being amped or EQ'd the bass would probably be stronger. I'd recommend this over the DJ1/HFI 580, which may have stronger bass (from what I've read online) but just generally is inferior in terms of sound quality. I can't speak for the other model you're looking at, but I can't find them for your budget. The PRO 550/DJ1 Pro really seems like it would serve your purposes well; I know it does for me.


 

The PRO 550 are basically 900's with less clarity and less refined bass for less than half the cost.  780's have less bass than the 580's and 550 Pro, in sheer quantity those two produce the most out of Ultrasone lineup thanks to having 50mm drivers (everything else including 900 Pro are @40mm).  No issues playing deep (bass rolls off around 30Hz) and loud, literally made myself nauseous listening to Burial, Trentemoller, etc.

 

If I were to rate bass quantity for Ultrasone it'd go 580>550 (razor thin margin) > 780 > 680.  Haven't compared 900 next to the 500 series but there are users here that claim 580 has more bass (although at lesser quality) than the 900.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmorebase View Post

Well there are the 900 pros but they are too much...gaaaaaah dunno what to do...I think I'll just get the hfi 780 for 125 and then flip it for 200 and en hopefully with Christmas gifts, be able to buy the 900 pros

 



 


Edited by derycksan - 12/5/11 at 8:14pm
post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by derycksan View Post

Pro 550 and HFI 580 have nearly identical levels of bass.  I've owned both and compared them side to side and the difference is almost indiscernible, especially after EQing.  Only differences I noticed were tamer highs, better soundstage and slightly more forward mids on the 550's. 


 

The PRO 550 are basically 900's with less clarity and less refined bass for less than half the cost.  780's have less bass than the 580's and 550 Pro, in sheer quantity those two produce the most out of Ultrasone lineup thanks to having 50mm drivers (everything else including 900 Pro are @40mm).  No issues playing deep (bass rolls off around 30Hz) and loud, literally made myself nauseous listening to Burial, Trentemoller, etc.

 

If I were to rate bass quantity for Ultrasone it'd go 580>550 (razor thin margin) > 780 > 680.  Haven't compared 900 next to the 500 series but there are users here that claim 580 has more bass (although at lesser quality) than the 900.

 



 



 

Thank you very much, my only concern at this point is wether I should get the 780's first for 125 bucks and flip em for 200 (hopefully) and then buy these....(550 pros)

 

Btw, would I need anything else for either of these headphones to shine? Other than the fiio e10 dac/amp from my comp and into these headphones...

 

Thanks again a lot

post #26 of 30

So do you think sibilance will be any problem for you? A good question, the 780 is a very polarizing headphone. Consider that first.

post #27 of 30

Well considering 780's typically can be had for $150-160 (even Amazon has them that price now) you're not going to see much profit, especially after shipping charges.  They're good headphones and you may like them, however, since you're more concerned with bass, 580/550 Pro are a better choice.

 

550's need slightly more juice out of portable devices like a Sansa Clip + (an e5 livened them up a bit so it doesn't take much) 580's also benefit but less.  e10 should be plenty for the 550's, they're 64ohm and not very hard to drive, 580's really don't need amping but the bass does sound fuller with.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmorebase View Post



 

Thank you very much, my only concern at this point is wether I should get the 780's first for 125 bucks and flip em for 200 (hopefully) and then buy these....(550 pros)

 

Btw, would I need anything else for either of these headphones to shine? Other than the fiio e10 dac/amp from my comp and into these headphones...

 

Thanks again a lot



 


Edited by derycksan - 12/6/11 at 8:35am
post #28 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by derycksan View Post

Well considering 780's typically can be had for $150-160 (even Amazon has them that price now) you're not going to see much profit, especially after shipping charges.  They're good headphones and you may like them, however, since you're more concerned with bass, 580/550 Pro are a better choice.

 

550's need slightly more juice out of portable devices like a Sansa Clip + (an e5 livened them up a bit so it doesn't take much) 580's also benefit but less.  e10 should be plenty for the 550's, they're 64ohm and not very hard to drive, 580's really don't need amping but the bass does sound fuller with.
 



 


Actually, amazon has them at 230$...

 

and would the 550pro need MORE than the E10 to be fully satisfied? dont think so since u say they are 64ohm. 

 

but thanks, ill go watch some more 550pro vs hfi 580..

 

post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 

Lol this comment bummed me out:

 

"Honestly though, after listening to the Pro 900s, you will be disappointed in the 580s. The mids are even more recessed, and the highs are artificial and metallic. I'd recommend either upgrading your source files, or look toward another headphone. ""

post #30 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmorebase View Post


Actually, amazon has them at 230$...

 

and would the 550pro need MORE than the E10 to be fully satisfied? dont think so since u say they are 64ohm. 

 

but thanks, ill go watch some more 550pro vs hfi 580..

 


dosent matter...they sold on ebay the 125 used ones lol >__________________> 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which would you get? Dt990 Pros or Ultrasone DJ1?