Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The New $780 Rein Audio X-DAC (Review Coming Soon)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New $780 Rein Audio X-DAC (Review Coming Soon) - Page 8

post #106 of 137

It's got to be close smily_headphones1.gif. Certainly sounds amazing. X-DAC + V200 is an end game set up for me with the T1's and LCD-2's. Anything more seems largely unnecessary. Fact that it pairs amazing with the HD800 supposedly too, well, I'm just annoyed I have to sell mine. Though it hasn't actually sold yet. Secretly a part of me is happy about that, just not the part that has to pay for the mortgage deposit! Lol.

post #107 of 137

I was about to pull the trigger on the V800, but the impressions I read about both seemed very similar. Then I read Lievens write-up on headfonia, about the synergy with the V100 and the LCD-2's. $500 bucks cheaper, to boot.

 

 

post #108 of 137

Another new review, this time the journalist used mainly SPDIF instead of USB. Highly positive impressions is something the X-DAC is becoming accustomed to.

 

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-preamplifiers/stereo-preamps/rein-audio-x-dac.html

post #109 of 137

I just received my X-DAC and have it playing through USB just fine, but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the X-DAC to play through SPDIF coax. Anyone have any advice? I am using J River MC.

post #110 of 137

I'm not familiar with J River MC. Is that hardware or software? Are you using a MAC/PC etc?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbastardo View Post

I just received my X-DAC and have it playing through USB just fine, but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the X-DAC to play through SPDIF coax. Anyone have any advice? I am using J River MC.



 

post #111 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbastardo View Post

I just received my X-DAC and have it playing through USB just fine, but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the X-DAC to play through SPDIF coax. Anyone have any advice? I am using J River MC.

 

Your output should be set to PCM 24/192 or lower over RCA coax, then set the X-DAC to the coax input used. (Keep in mind there are two, make sure it's set to the correct one.)
 

 

post #112 of 137

I have a PC, using an Asus P8P67 deluxe motherboard. J River is media player software, it has settings for WASAPI, ASIO, etc. already on it. I have disabled my Asus sound card and enabled the onboard SPDIF. Is there anything I need to download, like WASAPI?

 

*edit* just saw 65535's post


Edited by elbastardo - 2/10/12 at 4:25pm
post #113 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbastardo View Post

I have a PC, using an Asus P8P67 deluxe motherboard. J River is media player software, it has settings for WASAPI, ASIO, etc. already on it. I have disabled my Asus sound card and enabled the onboard SPDIF. Is there anything I need to download, like WASAPI?

 

*edit* just saw 65535's post



WASAPI, ASIO, et. al. are drivers to support USB or Firewire audio devices, for Coax you wouldn't need those. 

 

Some audio playback devices require you to specify the output device, be it onboard, PCI card, or external. Make sure the right output is selected in the OS and the software.

post #114 of 137

I had to re-install the realtek drivers to enable the coax, then I set everything for 16/44.1 on playback in device manager and J River..I am still getting this clicky static sound on volume. I will get it figured out, if the coax isn't messed up. For now I will be content with USB...it sounds damn good! Anyway, thanks for the help 65535.

post #115 of 137
Hello all,
I recently purchase a cambridge audio ID100 as a source transport for my ipod classic ,
The ID100 have several output option to DAC.
Which are AES/EBU digital XLR out , optical toslink , spdif coax .
Which will be a better choice to connect to X DAC ? i am currently using a digital coax cable and just wondering if AES/EBU digital audio output will give best signal to XDAC .

XDAC does not have a AES/EBU digital audio out. , does it make sense for me to custom make a cable to link AES/EBU digital audio output from ID100 to digital coax input of XDAC ?

Please help to advise
Raymond Lim
post #116 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysclim1568 View Post

Hello all,
I recently purchase a cambridge audio ID100 as a source transport for my ipod classic ,
The ID100 have several output option to DAC.
Which are AES/EBU digital XLR out , optical toslink , spdif coax .
Which will be a better choice to connect to X DAC ? i am currently using a digital coax cable and just wondering if AES/EBU digital audio output will give best signal to XDAC .
XDAC does not have a AES/EBU digital audio out. , does it make sense for me to custom make a cable to link AES/EBU digital audio output from ID100 to digital coax input of XDAC ?
Please help to advise
Raymond Lim


The AES/EBU output will not give a signal to the X-DAC because it does not support the format. Coax is your best bet. If there are grounding issues use optical.

 

post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post



not yet, no. I'll have to look into that.



Hey Austin, still alive? What happened with the XDAC?

post #118 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Since they don't mention it, you can pretty much say for sure that it is an adaptive USB implementation. Not that lack of async is necessarily the end of the world - some companies have managed to do a fabulous job of making their adaptive USB solution sound identical to their SPDIF inputs. 


4. Interface:
USB (Type B) x 1 input (Synchronous Adaptive)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post

 

With the X-DAC as well for example. USB is more detailed and airy, with sharper high emphasis and an overall cleaner or more transparent sort of sound (very neutral and I'd imagine quite accurate). I doubt there's much jitter mind, not that I'd know but sonically speaking, there's no real grain, noise etc, and the highs and vocals still maintain sweetness inherent in the T1's.


1. Digital input:

Clock jitter (44.1kHz): S/PDIF less than 100PS; USB less than 100PS

post #119 of 137

Added my review. First proper one I've done so be easy on me lol.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596519/rein-audio-x-dac-review-the-multi-faceted-talented-dac-newcomer

post #120 of 137

 

 

Thanks for the impressions. Well written. THis DAC is high on my list of sources to consider for my headphone rig.

 

 

any chance you could snag a pic of the innards Naim F. C? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The New $780 Rein Audio X-DAC (Review Coming Soon)