- 5,163 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: Maryland
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- New Ultrasone Pro model sneaks out! Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which Sealed Can to get? Last post on 7/5/11 at 9:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- MQ Quart QP 220 Unboxing (new) Last post on 4/26/11 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Direct me to the noob thread (or check out my first rig) Last post on 4/19/11 at 6:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- MB Quart QP400 just showed up...initial impressions Last post on 4/25/11 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB cable, this is an OK way to spend your money. It will reduce some of the digital irritants and sounds better than the "comes with" usb cables packaged...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
If you told me that my review of a pair of headphones would somehow combine golf, science-fiction, sorcery and a supersonic jet I’d say you’re crazy. But then again if you told me I would...
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
mb quart qp 400 - Page 2post #16 of 2910/18/04 at 12:38amAt the very least I have ~$35 Beyer lookalike pads
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2910/18/04 at 3:27amQuote:Originally Posted by highflyin9Alright I just won a pair of these, a little under $70 new with shipping, I'll be sure to post some comments when I get them.post #18 of 2910/18/04 at 2:15pmThere was also an MB Quart 805 HS on Ebay stores that was going for $40 + $15 S&H, it's a little on the fugly side but it looked like it would be decent for when you're out in a compromising environment recording. Headwize had a comparitive review of it and it got similar ratings to a Senn HD25SP FWIW.post #19 of 2910/20/04 at 3:59pmAlright just got em in the mail today (pretty quick shipping!). Quite comfortable cans I might add, they have velour pads that are very similar to the beyers but a bit darker in color. The headband is made of a nice soft material and clicks into place with the side adjustable bands, which are somewhat loose so they almost automatically adjust to your head. In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.post #20 of 2910/25/04 at 10:27amQuote:Originally Posted by highflyin9In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.post #21 of 2910/25/04 at 10:34amI've found that the main problem with the cans is that the earpads keep the drivers farther away from the ear than is optimal. If you push them closer to your ear about an inch there is less brightness and there is much more bass. The only pad I can think of that isn't as thick to swap it with is the AKG240 pad, too bad its pleather.post #22 of 2910/26/04 at 4:18amWell .. you have a 'good' problem, most probably the pads will soften with usage and bass will get better over time. Pads on my 55x are already thin to begin with (it was recently replaced) and bass didn't change much when I change the driver-ear distance.
On further comparison, 55x's bass is somewhat like 271s only not as deep: it is there and not owerpowering. For the money (mine was for 25 euro used) they represents quite good value, giving about 80% of Beyer quality for less than half - also used - prices.
BTW do qp400 come with straight or coiled cables ?post #23 of 2910/26/04 at 1:31pmCongrats highflyin9!
Have you already rewired them ? Quick man!
MB Quart open lineup is surely one of the most comfortable cans in the world. And I prefer QP400 on its cool sound and its straight cable (I know it meaningless for you ). Well, I have some experience on MB Quart cans.
QP400: Bass shy. the lowest efficiency Cans. My SLP88 can not drive them although it drives HD600. accurate and high-rez as DT931, but not agressive at all, never been hot. not for Rock.
X95: somehow similar to DT931, in style and in sound. there must be a peak on high. The bass responce can reach to low end, so it's matter of tone balance. They are unruly horse. More difficult to drive than DT931. 120 Ohm output is suitable for it (as DT931). Very good resolution. It's old Top model, but you won't be disapointed when you have a chance to hear them with nice amp.
X45: old midrange. more bass than TOP models. suitable for Pops. Same reague in HD570, DT531. I recommend only when the price is very low.
QP85: similar style of ERGO AMT. I don't think it's comfortable with sliding volume. sounds not punchy. flat. Less bass.
Something I have to write about MBQuart.
1. They are not OEM of Beyerdynamic. even they look similar
2. MB Quart's user supprt is more than the best.post #24 of 2911/16/08 at 12:01pmpost #25 of 298/29/09 at 4:59amHere's the Greek HiTech Magazine roundup that was done. I improved the translation somewhat, though I don't have the untranslated original. So I don't know what "level" meant from the previous translation. Ability to drive to very high volumes without distortion?
I also re-translated the cd player and mixer one from 2001.
Interestingly, I managed to score a brand new Ixos 1001 today for $72. A friend lost mine a few years back after claiming it was his favorite of mine and me letting him borrow them. Not sure it was ever my favorite, but it's practically a collectable now. Hell, maybe I shouldn't even open it. I like it a lot more than the Grado 60, and it's less fatiguing than the Sony V6/7506...though the Sony can handle a lot more power. It can be overly inoffensive, though. I think one person called it "powdery-sounding" on this forum or another to me. Fairly accurate, but I'm unsure I ever tried amping it well. Another poster says he thinks it blows the SR-325 away. hmm.
The new Ortofons are quite amazing, though. Wonder what that friend would think of those. It will be fun to compare an Ixos that has never been overdriven before (which I did a lot to the others) to the O One and the O2 that is being sent for review.post #26 of 291/19/11 at 3:05pmQuote:has anyone heard these or know anything about them?
The MB Quart QP400 is not a closed headphone, just so everyone here knows. Direct from Sonic Electronix...a very reliable source for this information.
post #27 of 291/19/11 at 7:16pmpost #28 of 292/25/11 at 3:49pmpost #29 of 295/1/11 at 9:39am
- Frequency Response: 14-24,100 Hz
- Nominal Impedance: 300 Ohm
- Acoustical Principle: Open
- Average pressure on the ear: Approx. 3 N
- Weight without cable: 8.5 oz. (240 grams)
- Connectors: Stereo mini-jack (3.5 mm), plus adapter (1/4" or 6.3mm)
- Cables: 9.8 ft. (3m) Black straight cord
- Color: Silver and Black
You can get a new pair of these for just 109,99 $ on ebay by sonic electronix. They're playing same league as sennheiser hd 600/ 650 or Beyers DT 880. It's old stock from 2007. Same as German Maestro GMP 400
- mb quart qp 400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 8 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 40 seconds ago
- › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 1 minute ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 2 minutes ago
- › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP!... 3 minutes ago
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2