- 5,297 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: Maryland
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- New Ultrasone Pro model sneaks out! Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which Sealed Can to get? Last post on 7/5/11 at 9:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- gone Last post on 4/26/11 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- gone Last post on 4/19/11 at 6:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- MB Quart QP400 just showed up...initial impressions Last post on 10/23/16 at 11:40am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
In an age where (multi-driver) hybrids are all the rage, the G3 is a single dynamic from a maker known for well-regarded, modestly-price earbuds. I bought these after reading the frenetic praise...
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
IntroductionWhen I first reviewed Schiit Audio's original Modi/Vali stack many moons ago, I walked away very impressed to say the least. Not only was it a cost effective solution for the budding...
1. Introduction The Prophile-8, a 8 balanced armature in-ear monitor, is the new flagship from well-established German brand In-ear. So far the brand had an offering going from 2 to 4 driver...
Video Review It's not unusual to find a headphone or IEM manufacturer to branch out into making their own amps, and then their own cables, but Ken Ball is one of two people who have gone in...
mb quart qp 400 - Page 2post #16 of 2910/18/04 at 12:38amAt the very least I have ~$35 Beyer lookalike pads
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2910/18/04 at 3:27amQuote:Originally Posted by highflyin9Alright I just won a pair of these, a little under $70 new with shipping, I'll be sure to post some comments when I get them.post #18 of 2910/18/04 at 2:15pmThere was also an MB Quart 805 HS on Ebay stores that was going for $40 + $15 S&H, it's a little on the fugly side but it looked like it would be decent for when you're out in a compromising environment recording. Headwize had a comparitive review of it and it got similar ratings to a Senn HD25SP FWIW.post #19 of 2910/20/04 at 3:59pmAlright just got em in the mail today (pretty quick shipping!). Quite comfortable cans I might add, they have velour pads that are very similar to the beyers but a bit darker in color. The headband is made of a nice soft material and clicks into place with the side adjustable bands, which are somewhat loose so they almost automatically adjust to your head. In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.post #20 of 2910/25/04 at 10:27amQuote:Originally Posted by highflyin9In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.post #21 of 2910/25/04 at 10:34amI've found that the main problem with the cans is that the earpads keep the drivers farther away from the ear than is optimal. If you push them closer to your ear about an inch there is less brightness and there is much more bass. The only pad I can think of that isn't as thick to swap it with is the AKG240 pad, too bad its pleather.post #22 of 2910/26/04 at 4:18amWell .. you have a 'good' problem, most probably the pads will soften with usage and bass will get better over time. Pads on my 55x are already thin to begin with (it was recently replaced) and bass didn't change much when I change the driver-ear distance.
On further comparison, 55x's bass is somewhat like 271s only not as deep: it is there and not owerpowering. For the money (mine was for 25 euro used) they represents quite good value, giving about 80% of Beyer quality for less than half - also used - prices.
BTW do qp400 come with straight or coiled cables ?post #23 of 2910/26/04 at 1:31pmCongrats highflyin9!
Have you already rewired them ? Quick man!
MB Quart open lineup is surely one of the most comfortable cans in the world. And I prefer QP400 on its cool sound and its straight cable (I know it meaningless for you ). Well, I have some experience on MB Quart cans.
QP400: Bass shy. the lowest efficiency Cans. My SLP88 can not drive them although it drives HD600. accurate and high-rez as DT931, but not agressive at all, never been hot. not for Rock.
X95: somehow similar to DT931, in style and in sound. there must be a peak on high. The bass responce can reach to low end, so it's matter of tone balance. They are unruly horse. More difficult to drive than DT931. 120 Ohm output is suitable for it (as DT931). Very good resolution. It's old Top model, but you won't be disapointed when you have a chance to hear them with nice amp.
X45: old midrange. more bass than TOP models. suitable for Pops. Same reague in HD570, DT531. I recommend only when the price is very low.
QP85: similar style of ERGO AMT. I don't think it's comfortable with sliding volume. sounds not punchy. flat. Less bass.
Something I have to write about MBQuart.
1. They are not OEM of Beyerdynamic. even they look similar
2. MB Quart's user supprt is more than the best.post #24 of 2911/16/08 at 12:01pmpost #25 of 298/29/09 at 4:59amHere's the Greek HiTech Magazine roundup that was done. I improved the translation somewhat, though I don't have the untranslated original. So I don't know what "level" meant from the previous translation. Ability to drive to very high volumes without distortion?
I also re-translated the cd player and mixer one from 2001.
Interestingly, I managed to score a brand new Ixos 1001 today for $72. A friend lost mine a few years back after claiming it was his favorite of mine and me letting him borrow them. Not sure it was ever my favorite, but it's practically a collectable now. Hell, maybe I shouldn't even open it. I like it a lot more than the Grado 60, and it's less fatiguing than the Sony V6/7506...though the Sony can handle a lot more power. It can be overly inoffensive, though. I think one person called it "powdery-sounding" on this forum or another to me. Fairly accurate, but I'm unsure I ever tried amping it well. Another poster says he thinks it blows the SR-325 away. hmm.
The new Ortofons are quite amazing, though. Wonder what that friend would think of those. It will be fun to compare an Ixos that has never been overdriven before (which I did a lot to the others) to the O One and the O2 that is being sent for review.post #26 of 291/19/11 at 3:05pmQuote:has anyone heard these or know anything about them?
The MB Quart QP400 is not a closed headphone, just so everyone here knows. Direct from Sonic Electronix...a very reliable source for this information.
post #27 of 291/19/11 at 7:16pmpost #28 of 292/25/11 at 3:49pmpost #29 of 295/1/11 at 9:39am
- Frequency Response: 14-24,100 Hz
- Nominal Impedance: 300 Ohm
- Acoustical Principle: Open
- Average pressure on the ear: Approx. 3 N
- Weight without cable: 8.5 oz. (240 grams)
- Connectors: Stereo mini-jack (3.5 mm), plus adapter (1/4" or 6.3mm)
- Cables: 9.8 ft. (3m) Black straight cord
- Color: Silver and Black
You can get a new pair of these for just 109,99 $ on ebay by sonic electronix. They're playing same league as sennheiser hd 600/ 650 or Beyers DT 880. It's old stock from 2007. Same as German Maestro GMP 400
- mb quart qp 400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › can some one explain to me using too powerful amp on iems and its... 29 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 54 seconds ago
- › crinacle's FR measurement database (150 IEMs measured) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 3 minutes ago
- › The best best over ear sound isolating comfortable headphones! 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 4 minutes ago
- › TY Hi-Z G3 by loomisjohnson
- › Accutone Pisces BA Hybrid IEM by crabdog
- › Schiit Modi Multibit by Trogdor
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by Mimouille
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by subguy812
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by suman134
- › Fostex TH 900 by Scott Branham
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear