- 5,289 Posts. Joined 2/2004
- Location: Maryland
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- New Ultrasone Pro model sneaks out! Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which Sealed Can to get? Last post on 7/5/11 at 9:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- MQ Quart QP 220 Unboxing (new) Last post on 4/26/11 at 8:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Direct me to the noob thread (or check out my first rig) Last post on 4/19/11 at 6:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- MB Quart QP400 just showed up...initial impressions Last post on 4/25/11 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
mb quart qp 400 - Page 2post #16 of 2910/18/04 at 12:38amAt the very least I have ~$35 Beyer lookalike pads
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2910/18/04 at 3:27amQuote:Originally Posted by highflyin9Alright I just won a pair of these, a little under $70 new with shipping, I'll be sure to post some comments when I get them.post #18 of 2910/18/04 at 2:15pmThere was also an MB Quart 805 HS on Ebay stores that was going for $40 + $15 S&H, it's a little on the fugly side but it looked like it would be decent for when you're out in a compromising environment recording. Headwize had a comparitive review of it and it got similar ratings to a Senn HD25SP FWIW.post #19 of 2910/20/04 at 3:59pmAlright just got em in the mail today (pretty quick shipping!). Quite comfortable cans I might add, they have velour pads that are very similar to the beyers but a bit darker in color. The headband is made of a nice soft material and clicks into place with the side adjustable bands, which are somewhat loose so they almost automatically adjust to your head. In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.post #20 of 2910/25/04 at 10:27amQuote:Originally Posted by highflyin9In regards to sound quality, these headphones definently lean toward the bright side of the spectrum, midrange is Beyer dry and there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but there's certainly not a lot of it. The cans are 300 ohms so I don't think they will work well unamped, although I may try that in the future. I'll be sure to post more as these burn in.post #21 of 2910/25/04 at 10:34amI've found that the main problem with the cans is that the earpads keep the drivers farther away from the ear than is optimal. If you push them closer to your ear about an inch there is less brightness and there is much more bass. The only pad I can think of that isn't as thick to swap it with is the AKG240 pad, too bad its pleather.post #22 of 2910/26/04 at 4:18amWell .. you have a 'good' problem, most probably the pads will soften with usage and bass will get better over time. Pads on my 55x are already thin to begin with (it was recently replaced) and bass didn't change much when I change the driver-ear distance.
On further comparison, 55x's bass is somewhat like 271s only not as deep: it is there and not owerpowering. For the money (mine was for 25 euro used) they represents quite good value, giving about 80% of Beyer quality for less than half - also used - prices.
BTW do qp400 come with straight or coiled cables ?post #23 of 2910/26/04 at 1:31pmCongrats highflyin9!
Have you already rewired them ? Quick man!
MB Quart open lineup is surely one of the most comfortable cans in the world. And I prefer QP400 on its cool sound and its straight cable (I know it meaningless for you ). Well, I have some experience on MB Quart cans.
QP400: Bass shy. the lowest efficiency Cans. My SLP88 can not drive them although it drives HD600. accurate and high-rez as DT931, but not agressive at all, never been hot. not for Rock.
X95: somehow similar to DT931, in style and in sound. there must be a peak on high. The bass responce can reach to low end, so it's matter of tone balance. They are unruly horse. More difficult to drive than DT931. 120 Ohm output is suitable for it (as DT931). Very good resolution. It's old Top model, but you won't be disapointed when you have a chance to hear them with nice amp.
X45: old midrange. more bass than TOP models. suitable for Pops. Same reague in HD570, DT531. I recommend only when the price is very low.
QP85: similar style of ERGO AMT. I don't think it's comfortable with sliding volume. sounds not punchy. flat. Less bass.
Something I have to write about MBQuart.
1. They are not OEM of Beyerdynamic. even they look similar
2. MB Quart's user supprt is more than the best.post #24 of 2911/16/08 at 12:01pmpost #25 of 298/29/09 at 4:59amHere's the Greek HiTech Magazine roundup that was done. I improved the translation somewhat, though I don't have the untranslated original. So I don't know what "level" meant from the previous translation. Ability to drive to very high volumes without distortion?
I also re-translated the cd player and mixer one from 2001.
Interestingly, I managed to score a brand new Ixos 1001 today for $72. A friend lost mine a few years back after claiming it was his favorite of mine and me letting him borrow them. Not sure it was ever my favorite, but it's practically a collectable now. Hell, maybe I shouldn't even open it. I like it a lot more than the Grado 60, and it's less fatiguing than the Sony V6/7506...though the Sony can handle a lot more power. It can be overly inoffensive, though. I think one person called it "powdery-sounding" on this forum or another to me. Fairly accurate, but I'm unsure I ever tried amping it well. Another poster says he thinks it blows the SR-325 away. hmm.
The new Ortofons are quite amazing, though. Wonder what that friend would think of those. It will be fun to compare an Ixos that has never been overdriven before (which I did a lot to the others) to the O One and the O2 that is being sent for review.post #26 of 291/19/11 at 3:05pmQuote:has anyone heard these or know anything about them?
The MB Quart QP400 is not a closed headphone, just so everyone here knows. Direct from Sonic Electronix...a very reliable source for this information.
post #27 of 291/19/11 at 7:16pmpost #28 of 292/25/11 at 3:49pmpost #29 of 295/1/11 at 9:39am
- Frequency Response: 14-24,100 Hz
- Nominal Impedance: 300 Ohm
- Acoustical Principle: Open
- Average pressure on the ear: Approx. 3 N
- Weight without cable: 8.5 oz. (240 grams)
- Connectors: Stereo mini-jack (3.5 mm), plus adapter (1/4" or 6.3mm)
- Cables: 9.8 ft. (3m) Black straight cord
- Color: Silver and Black
You can get a new pair of these for just 109,99 $ on ebay by sonic electronix. They're playing same league as sennheiser hd 600/ 650 or Beyers DT 880. It's old stock from 2007. Same as German Maestro GMP 400
- mb quart qp 400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 2 seconds ago
- › I tried several headphones .. A bit discouraged, I am looking very... 1 minute ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 2 minutes ago
- › Tennmak 3 minutes ago
- › High End Bluetooth Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 minutes ago
- › SanDisk 256GB microSD card ($149) is on its way. 5 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 5 minutes ago
- › New cheap earphones (not IEM), Yuin PK3 is not selling anymore.... 6 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...