Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Which Custom Fit earphone , Futuresonic Vs. Westone ES5,will give me bass and sub bass when I need it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Custom Fit earphone , Futuresonic Vs. Westone ES5,will give me bass and sub bass when I... - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 



Thanks, well I just received my custom earphones by FS! Right away I can tell there is more sub bass then the Universals and a lot more bass then all the other earphones I owned and borrowed. Still getting used to the shells in my ears. I have been  using foamy tips which are so easy to insert. Also burning these customs in, I ran them like for 30 hrs as of 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambiland View Post



I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but you want the MG6Pros. The low end is pretty stupendous. I use mine for monitoring on stage. I play bass. I need bass and I like bass that feels like it's coming out of the ground. Last Saturday night I played the Boulder Theater, which has some ridiculously huge (7 feet?) subwoofer cabs that are deep and tight. The MG6Pros were at least as good sounding, if not better. I have an EQ called an Alembic Superfilter, which is a state variable filter that can sweep down to a center frequency (or cutoff for a low pass, or cutoff for a high pass) of 45 hz with additional resonance available. Usually when I boost down there past a certain point, it craps out IEMs, speakers, subs, etc. The MG6Pro just rolls with it. 

 

I also work as a location recording engineer and have been on a search for good headphones to use on location that reproduce low end and seal well. My previous choice has been the Beyerdynamic DT770s (which kept blowing drivers) and ATH-M50s. The Future Sonics make them sound incredibly wimpy in comparison.

 

My only complaint about them is that they aren't the most transparent transducers I've used in the high end range, but they are unparalleled for bass. I use the smallest vents. The mediums were too much and I haven't tried the large vents. I'm going to have to relax with the big vents and some reggae at some point.

 

I also have to point out that the FS service is really excellent. David and Dayna have been really responsive to a lot of questions and they turned my order around really quickly, despite going off to NAMM. I've been using their universal fit IEMs since early 2008 after stumbling on some used FS1s and then moving on to the various Atrios. I've also used Westone, Ultimate Ears and another brand that escapes me right now.

 

I love the Atrios, but this is a whole difference experience. I hope you've experienced the difference between the Atrios with foam and with the SofterWear sleeves because this is like that leap except way more so.

 

YMMV, LOL, OMG, etc.



 

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

Second & third the recommendation for the MG6Pro. Definitely a 'not subtle' step up from the Atrios in overall sonic presentation. The mids go from being one of the worst aspects of the range with the Atrios to being one of the best with the MG6Pro. I mean, I was pretty shocked at how much of an improvement that part was/is with the MG6Pro... and then there's the increased sense of space, layering, and placement... much better across the board. 

 

I don't even need to discuss the bass of course...  biggrin.gif



Could you please describe the mids a bit more? I have a big problem with the mids of the Atrios - especially the harsh upper midrange gives me a headache. I was considering the mg6pro, but was afraid of the same mids presentation.

 

post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 


headache from the Atrios? You saying the Atrios highs are very crisp? I would say the JH 13 pro will give you a brain tumor then. Do you have an EQ to adjust the highs?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post



Could you please describe the mids a bit more? I have a big problem with the mids of the Atrios - especially the harsh upper midrange gives me a headache. I was considering the mg6pro, but was afraid of the same mids presentation.

 



 

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post



Could you please describe the mids a bit more? I have a big problem with the mids of the Atrios - especially the harsh upper midrange gives me a headache. I was considering the mg6pro, but was afraid of the same mids presentation.

 


Wow, if the Atrio is too harsh, then most other iems will be far worse. The MG6Pro mids are not recessed at all as some report on the Atrio. I would say that although there is a big improvement everywhere, the MG6Pro will have a similar life and energy in the upper mid, lower treble (only smoother, better). With the wrong synergy, I could see some of that energy getting just a touch hot, but neither MG6Pro or the Atrio should be giving anyone headaches, ever.

 

The Heir Audio 8.A with its incredibly non-fatiguing smoothness is the one for you. 

 

post #20 of 25

That with the headache was a joke ;)

 

The highs are fine, but to my ears the upper midrange (peak at 5khz) is unbearable (not talking about sibilance) - I had to EQ it down 5 points with Rockbox on my H320. I never had such a problem with my other IEMs - UM3X, E500, UM2, W3 (but worst sibilance) and now Merlins.

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post

That with the headache was a joke ;)

 

The highs are fine, but to my ears the upper midrange (peak at 5khz) is unbearable (not talking about sibilance) - I had to EQ it down 5 points with Rockbox on my H320. I never had such a problem with my other IEMs - UM3X, E500, UM2, W3 (but worst sibilance) and now Merlins.

I think I get what you're saying because I seem to have the same peakiness with my MG6 Pros.  I am generally quite forgiving of all kinds of sound signatures, but there seems to be some kind of peakiness or resonance (I stand to be corrected on the terminolgy) that is making it sound, "off".  I've since written FS to see if there is something that can be done about that.

 

D

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditti View Post

 I've since written FS to see if there is something that can be done about that.

 

 

I think there was already a Head-Fier who had the same issue and got the MG6Pros replaced. Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem.

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditti View Post

I think I get what you're saying because I seem to have the same peakiness with my MG6 Pros.  I am generally quite forgiving of all kinds of sound signatures, but there seems to be some kind of peakiness or resonance (I stand to be corrected on the terminolgy) that is making it sound, "off".  I've since written FS to see if there is something that can be done about that.

D

Ah, you must be sensitive to the odd choice of a peak they have at approximately 3.6k. I had 2 refits and a complete rebuild and the echoey harshness never went away due to that peak. It was a very trying and aggravating experience.

You can read my experience here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596839/review-um-merlin-fs-mg6pro-akg-k3003-future-additions-fitear-tg-334-aurisonics-as-2#post_8160471
Maybe my EQ at the end will help you some with their issues.
Edited by shotgunshane - 9/14/12 at 7:44am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditti View Post

I think I get what you're saying because I seem to have the same peakiness with my MG6 Pros.  I am generally quite forgiving of all kinds of sound signatures, but there seems to be some kind of peakiness or resonance (I stand to be corrected on the terminolgy) that is making it sound, "off".  I've since written FS to see if there is something that can be done about that.

 

D

I wanted to update this a little bit.  I have since received my MG6's back from FS and I can attest that everything that "Kunlun" has said about the service excellence of FS is spot on.  Throughout the entire process, I was always communicating with them and it never took them more than 2 to 3 days to come back with a reply.  I think I was actually the one that was tardy with the responses.  The very cool thing about it is, the original fit was perfect and after fixing all of my issues, the fit remains just as good.  They are much, much more comfortable than I could have imagined.

 

I am very impressed with FS and their crew.  They have solved the ringing issue I had.  While the signature is not quite my preference, it remains an excellent CIEM.  I still encourage anyone to go the way of FS if you think you will enjoy their sound signature.  I still use mine for some genres of music and especially when I want to be reminded of how awesome a company can be, and the kind of residual good feel it gives me.  Stellar, excellent, awesome service and a big thank you.  

 

If anyone doubts what I said about their stellar service, just ask around.  With the fit issues that is sometime unavoidable in CIEM's, service is really a crucial part of the purchasing experience.

 

Thanks to all. D. 

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditti View Post

I wanted to update this a little bit.  I have since received my MG6's back from FS and I can attest that everything that "Kunlun" has said about the service excellence of FS is spot on.  Throughout the entire process, I was always communicating with them and it never took them more than 2 to 3 days to come back with a reply.  I think I was actually the one that was tardy with the responses.  The very cool thing about it is, the original fit was perfect and after fixing all of my issues, the fit remains just as good.  They are much, much more comfortable than I could have imagined.

 

I am very impressed with FS and their crew.  They have solved the ringing issue I had.  While the signature is not quite my preference, it remains an excellent CIEM.  I still encourage anyone to go the way of FS if you think you will enjoy their sound signature.  I still use mine for some genres of music and especially when I want to be reminded of how awesome a company can be, and the kind of residual good feel it gives me.  Stellar, excellent, awesome service and a big thank you.  

 

If anyone doubts what I said about their stellar service, just ask around.  With the fit issues that is sometime unavoidable in CIEM's, service is really a crucial part of the purchasing experience.

 

Thanks to all. D. 


Awesome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Which Custom Fit earphone , Futuresonic Vs. Westone ES5,will give me bass and sub bass when I need it?