Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Who still has the Sony SA5000?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who still has the Sony SA5000? - Page 4

post #46 of 581

It is very difficult now to consider which new headphone to buy, haha. Every headphone out there has at least as many people discrediting them as people praising them. Gotta either find a seller with a fantastic return policy, or somehow audition them, or just buy recklessly and consider a dud purchase to "at least be part of the collection," even if it ends up closeted.  

  

I must not have researched the D5000s well enough when I grabbed them last year; the only negative press I ever encountered on them was that the bass was wild and untamed. To my imagination, the idea of "wild and untamed" just sounded cool, like an old western movie outlaw anti-hero. Luckily, what I received when I finally got the D5000 in my hands was honestly quite impressive and I adore them to this day, but I'd love to get some fresh air in my ears now that I've become very familiar with my D5000.

  

Currently, I am considering either the SA5000, W5000, ATH-A2000X, ATH-W1000X, Audeze LCD-2; but every single one of them have some very vocal opposition who say some very concerning things about their perceived flaws!

Goodness, it's almost as if I have to make up my own mind for once confused_face_2.gif, and just take a shot and go for something, anything at all, just so I can get something new!

post #47 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

I've seen the frequency response and I don't believe it's accurate, regardless dampening always dulls the highs and let's everything else shine through.

uhhh,i take it you never worked on speaker cabs before? certain materials and thickness dampens/absorb certain frequencies. highs are always first to shine cause it eliminates resonance and the reflections of the enclosure has no way to reflect into the driver and cause cancellations. if it's high frequency issue it much be the material and thickness used,cause basic materials that are used should never affect the high frequencies unless of course the driver you use is just not capable of high frequency extension and tuned to be very dark sounding itself.
post #48 of 581
post #49 of 581
Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post

It is very difficult now to consider which new headphone to buy, haha. Every headphone out there has at least as many people discrediting them as people praising them. Gotta either find a seller with a fantastic return policy, or somehow audition them, or just buy recklessly and consider a dud purchase to "at least be part of the collection," even if it ends up closeted.  

  

Currently, I am considering either the SA5000, W5000, ATH-A2000X, ATH-W1000X, Audeze LCD-2; but every single one of them have some very vocal opposition who say some very concerning things about their perceived flaws!

Wow, I can definitely relate to your pain here. Swap meets are the best, unfortunately I've never been to one.
 

 

post #50 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

You're absolutely right about the "specialty" tag. But someone else described them as "basshead" cans in this thread.


They're about as "specialty" as a Sennhesier HD800, and like the HD800 they have there haters. You've already expressed your hatred towards them, then turned around and said you don't hate them as much as you're making out, and now you're at it again? In there prime they were recommended often for electronica simply because of the excellent bass. I'm sure the majority of bassheads are all about copious amounts,  but bassheads listen to bass, not music. They're all about accuracy and clarity and a lot of people care about that, others that like a warmer, theatrical presence won't like them.

 

I don't know how you can go from a SA5000 to an M50, either you've had to cut back your expenditure or you chased the wrong headphones to begin with...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexAeterna View Post

uhhh,i take it you never worked on speaker cabs before? certain materials and thickness dampens/absorb certain frequencies. highs are always first to shine cause it eliminates resonance and the reflections of the enclosure has no way to reflect into the driver and cause cancellations. if it's high frequency issue it much be the material and thickness used,cause basic materials that are used should never affect the high frequencies unless of course the driver you use is just not capable of high frequency extension and tuned to be very dark sounding itself.

I was referring to past experience with dampening headphones... it has been my experience that when a headphone is dampened the volume is reduced which allows for a more balanced sound. I know that dampening of Denons for instance is to remove some of the excess bass, it was my presumption it removes the majority of spikes in the spectrum. In the case of the SA5000 if the high peaks could be rounded and the midrange given additional body then this would be fantastic. I like tube amps for this very reason.

 


Edited by Graphicism - 12/2/11 at 12:10pm
post #51 of 581
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
you chased the wrong headphones to begin with...

That's it right there I think. I knew I didn't like the HD570s and and HD555s and wanted the opposite of that. I wanted something that would sound like the ESS AMT-1 Heil speakers I had as a teenager, and I knew those had extremely fast transient response, and I heard about the SA5K having extremely fast transient response and that sounded awesome, and I paired them with a fast solid state amp, but unfortunately there's a little more to it than that.

 

Also I don't listen to electronica, so I wasn't the target market for that. 

 

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=863&graphID[1]=1463&graphID[2]=3101&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

 

I was on the right track with the D1001s, 840s, and now the M50s. Now I'm wanting to dip my toe in the ortho pool, see if that comes close to what I was originally looking for (AMT-like), but I'm concerned that the openness renders them not that useful vs. the cost (life gets noisier every year, work week gets longer every year). M50 does a lot well but gets slammed mercilessly nowadays (much as the SA5K was slammed back in the day when I tried to like it) by almost everyone. It happens. :)

post #52 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

As long as someone stumbling on the thread knows what they're getting into.

 

You're absolutely right about the "specialty" tag. But someone else described them as "basshead" cans in this thread. That's like saying my Civic Si is a "torque monster" because if you're careful with the shifting it has adequate torque to get around town.

 

It'll be interesting for him either way, why not try out different signatures (assuming good return policy)? Get some variety. And draw his own conclusions...

 

The car enthusiast that I am, this had me laughing a bit.  So true though, however when the rev. needle moves past 5000 one should be prepared for plenty of horsepower and torque.biggrin.gif  Anyway, onward with topic at hand.
 

 

post #53 of 581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughkk View Post

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400200-REG/Sony_MDRSA5000_MDR_SA5000_Circumaural_Audiophile_Stereo.html

are these the same one you are talking about?

 

 

yup
 

 

post #54 of 581
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
I was on the right track with the D1001s, 840s, and now the M50s. Now I'm wanting to dip my toe in the ortho pool, see if that comes close to what I was originally looking for (AMT-like), but I'm concerned that the openness renders them not that useful vs. the cost (life gets noisier every year, work week gets longer every year). M50 does a lot well but gets slammed mercilessly nowadays (much as the SA5K was slammed back in the day when I tried to like it) by almost everyone. It happens. :)

Try the Fostex T50RP, only $74 and supposed to be awesome with some mods. I'm picking up a pair myself in a couple months.

post #55 of 581

Listening to these headphones the other day, I was thinking on this very topic. The first time I put these headphones on, I said 'wow'. I've owned and listened to almost every headphone around, and few have impressed me for their dollar/performance ratio like these. Balancing them brought them to a whole different level. Light, transparent, quick and fast bass. I am definitely keeping my pair for some time to come. 

post #56 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Listening to these headphones the other day, I was thinking on this very topic. The first time I put these headphones on, I said 'wow'. I've owned and listened to almost every headphone around, and few have impressed me for their dollar/performance ratio like these. Balancing them brought them to a whole different level. Light, transparent, quick and fast bass. I am definitely keeping my pair for some time to come. 

the power of 4-core wiring. getting rid of cross-talk. ain't it lovely?
post #57 of 581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Listening to these headphones the other day, I was thinking on this very topic. The first time I put these headphones on, I said 'wow'. I've owned and listened to almost every headphone around, and few have impressed me for their dollar/performance ratio like these. Balancing them brought them to a whole different level. Light, transparent, quick and fast bass. I am definitely keeping my pair for some time to come. 


How do you like that Little Dot amp?

 

post #58 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post


How do you like that Little Dot amp?

 



It is just the perfect fit for me. It fits the whole range of headphones. My Denon D7000 through my hifiman HE-6. I huge range of power demands. It's sound is absolutely wonderful. Totally in love with it. It's that piece of equipment I heard and said 'I'm keeping this'. As I said, I rotate through a lot of gear, so settling on something is pretty rare.

 

The amp goes really really well with the SA5000. Smooths out the sa5000 somewhat 'cold' sound. The sa5000 also sound very very wide and transparent with the amp. Soundstage is really huge. Great pairing for the sa5000. 

post #59 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexAeterna View Post


the power of 4-core wiring. getting rid of cross-talk. ain't it lovely?


I was surprised of the poor quality on the SA5000 cable. Regardless of sound quality (I don't want to start a cable/quality battle), the build quality was pretty poor on these cable. I can see why so many fail. Good news is that it's surprisingly easy to replace that cable. 

post #60 of 581
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post



It is just the perfect fit for me. It fits the whole range of headphones. My Denon D7000 through my hifiman HE-6. I huge range of power demands. It's sound is absolutely wonderful. Totally in love with it. It's that piece of equipment I heard and said 'I'm keeping this'. As I said, I rotate through a lot of gear, so settling on something is pretty rare.

 

The amp goes really really well with the SA5000. Smooths out the sa5000 somewhat 'cold' sound. The sa5000 also sound very very wide and transparent with the amp. Soundstage is really huge. Great pairing for the sa5000. 


I was looking at this amp when I was thinking about a balanced amp but it's a bit much for my budget for now. I'll have to see how my finances work out this coming summer.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Who still has the Sony SA5000?