Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Who still has the Sony SA5000?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who still has the Sony SA5000? - Page 2

post #16 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

Nope, my hearing is stellar. The QC2 was a gift many years ago and served its purpose as a comfortable, reliable thing that worked fine unamped out of a crap business PC output, sounded appropriately uninvolving and polite for work purposes, and provided much needed isolation and noise canceling. Considering Etymotic ER-4S or ATH-ANC7B at this point because even the M50 doesn't provide enough isolation. The M50 is a significantly more satisfying piece of kit, for me, than the three SAxxxx sets I've owned in my time. I'm also considering the HE-500, but I'm concerned its open nature (or any open cans' open nature) in this increasingly noisy and chaotic world of work and home would have limited usage parameters.

SA5000 for bassheads, awesome!


Of course I was joking, highlighting the point that we all have different tastes.  Like I said above amp synergy is important, headphones like the SA need tubes. I see you have a Gilmore lite listed in your sig, I've seen these recommended for the likes of Senn HD650 because they're so transparent... a SA5k w/ Gilmore lite would be a disaster for example. Did you use a tube amp? A HE-500 or Denon D5000 or similar might be more up your alley, they have a warmer, more theatrical approach to music. I found the M50 boring and turned it away when it was sub-$80, I'm not sure what people see in it but goes to show how different we all are.

post #17 of 596

I was looking at the frequency response of the SA5000 and it seems very similar to a Grado headphone. Does the SA5000 sound like a Grado, which would explain all the dividing opinions? Would the SA5000 at $350 be a significant upgrade over a Grado SR225i/325is, or is this more of a parallel move than anything? It's just that this headphone once cost $800, so now that it's less than half its original price, it's making me curious.

 


Edited by colgatetotal - 12/1/11 at 6:37pm
post #18 of 596
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
Of course I was joking, highlighting the point that we all have different tastes.  Like I said above amp synergy is important, headphones like the SA need tubes. I see you have a Gilmore lite listed in your sig, I've seen these recommended for the likes of Senn HD650 because they're so transparent... a SA5k w/ Gilmore lite would be a disaster for example. Did you use a tube amp? A HE-500 or Denon D5000 or similar might be more up your alley, they have a warmer, more theatrical approach to music. I found the M50 boring and turned it away when it was sub-$80, I'm not sure what people see in it but goes to show how different we all are.

No, never got to try tubes with it, alas. I don't really hate the SA5K as much as I'm making out (clearly, having bought it twice and also owned its lil brother), just wanted to counter the impromptu love fest I saw gathering here.  :o)
 

I'm quite sure the HE-500 would be my cup of tea, though if Fang came out with a high end closed ortho it would be the holy grail for me. M50 is nice with the coax mod -- comfy, more "space" in the sound, still vibrant and weighty bass, tamed highs; it travels well, isolates okay, involves me more than the 840, is driven easily with my lil Cute Beyond, and is at its best balance at low volume. It's more exciting all around than the D1001, though you can't beat that one for comfort and its smoky, unfatiguing sound (isolation is terrible though).

post #19 of 596
I love the SA5000 and prefer over the HD800 both on sound and "build" (never owned it for it to show any long term flaw)

It is also less amp picky compare to Audio Technica, it sounded great out from RudiStor RP30 as does with SPL Phonitor and many others. If I have the spare cash, I would have gotten one, and along with many other things too. Shame that life is not like that.
post #20 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

I love the SA5000 and prefer over the HD800 both on sound and "build" (never owned it for it to show any long term flaw)
It is also less amp picky compare to Audio Technica, it sounded great out from RudiStor RP30 as does with SPL Phonitor and many others. If I have the spare cash, I would have gotten one, and along with many other things too. Shame that life is not like that.


I would love to hear a pair, however I don't want to put a spoiler in the mix but it appears that the SA5000 is

truly descended from the R10 in that the drivers (some batches) anyway are noted for not lasting.

 

Check the first review on Headroom, the guy talks about a $100 charge from Sony for the left driver going pop, the wait,

and then the second one going soon after. Hardly the stuff of champions for a $599 headphone.

 

That example is the second one I've come across on my travels through audio land. Would make anyone think

twice.

post #21 of 596

The drivers are bio-degradable. Eventually they return to the earth. They burn brightly (in more ways than one) but briefly...

 

This headphone will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... (years)

post #22 of 596
Thread Starter 

I've only only heard of issues with bad solder joints with the SA5000 but I was reading some old posts about the Qualia and the carbon fiber headband breaking near the earcup with several people. The solder joint is a non-issue for me as I'm going to make new cables for them anyway. I'm very much into modding anyway so the potential for headphones is even more important than how they are out of the box. Heck, if I had the proper machinery and testing equipment I would experiment with rewiring the voice coils out of pure silver and other craziness. But if I could do that then I could probably custom make my own drivers and headphones. Also the SA5000 is now less than $350.

post #23 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post

I'm going to make new cables for them anyway. I'm very much into modding anyway so the potential for headphones is even more important than how they are out of the box. Heck, if I had the proper machinery and testing equipment I would experiment with rewiring the voice coils out of pure silver and other craziness. But if I could do that then I could probably custom make my own drivers and headphones. Also the SA5000 is now less than $350.


The SA5000 is simply a mass-produced qualia 010, makes you wonder if a few mods could indeed bring more out of the phones.

 

Qualia 010  -  Sony SA5000

 
1000x500px-LL-087adc20_010.jpeg1000x500px-LL-fda9e64c_5k.jpeg
 
For starters you could Dremel out the middle bit...

Edited by Graphicism - 12/1/11 at 9:02pm
post #24 of 596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post


The SA5000 is simply a mass-produced qualia 010, makes you wonder if a few mods could indeed bring more out of the phones.

 

Qualia 010  -  Sony SA5000

 
1000x500px-LL-087adc20_010.jpeg1000x500px-LL-fda9e64c_5k.jpeg
 
For starters you could Dremel out the middle bit...



That is the first mod I thought about when I saw these pics the other day. But if that grill is magnesium I don't know how hard that would be and if it's removable...otherwise you would need a damn steady hand! But if it's plastic and removable than no big deal. I'm also looking at applying adhesive damping material on any exposed surfaces around the immediate back of the driver and maybe removing material covering vent holes but I need to see the headphones in hand before I figure out the best stradegy.

post #25 of 596

 

 If it's magnesium then there is a strong chance it will catch fire under the friction of the Dremel bit smile.gif

 

 And when magnesium hits that point of ignition - it burns - badly.

 

 Source : Wikipedia

 

 "Magnesium is a highly flammable metal, but while it is easy to ignite when powdered or shaved into thin strips, it is difficult to ignite in mass or bulk.

  Once ignited, it is difficult to extinguish,"


Edited by Gwarmi - 12/1/11 at 9:29pm
post #26 of 596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

 

 If it's magnesium then there is a strong chance it will catch fire under the friction of the Dremel bit smile.gif

 

 And when magnesium hits that point of ignition - it burns - badly.

 

 Source : Wikipedia

 

 "Magnesium is a highly flammable metal, but while it is easy to ignite when powdered or shaved into thin strips, it is difficult to ignite in mass or bulk.

  Once ignited, it is difficult to extinguish,"

I think I've seen youtube vids of that, very entertaining! I wouldn't bother if it's Magnesium anyway...too much trouble. It has a slightly pebbly rough finish of a powdercoat and not the usual gloss black of injection molded plastic so I assume it's Magnesium. Still waiting for someone to confirm. I'm more interested in other mods anyway.

 

Though if it's removable I could just make a new grill from hexagonal mesh.
 

 


Edited by AzraelDarkangel - 12/1/11 at 9:38pm
post #27 of 596
That grill is just plastic, and I truly doubt removing that small bit will affect the sound in a significant way.
post #28 of 596

I still have my pair and loving it. I've treated it as a gaming workhorse so I haven't done many listening sessions with it. It's quite amazing what it does though considering the price.

post #29 of 596
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

That grill is just plastic, and I truly doubt removing that small bit will affect the sound in a significant way.


I was thinking it might smooth out the higher frequencies just a tiny bit as that central part is exactly where the highest frequency are produced by the driver.

 

post #30 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post

That is the first mod I thought about when I saw these pics the other day. But if that grill is magnesium I don't know how hard that would be and if it's removable...otherwise you would need a damn steady hand! But if it's plastic and removable than no big deal. I'm also looking at applying adhesive damping material on any exposed surfaces around the immediate back of the driver and maybe removing material covering vent holes but I need to see the headphones in hand before I figure out the best stradegy.


The headphones are plastic, it's the head band that's magnesium. It would be worth buying 2 pairs and being able to compare them once finished with the mods.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Who still has the Sony SA5000?