Exploring what's out there for closed portables Anyone have experience comparing these two yet?
Related Forum Threads
- TDK IE800 OR TDK BA200 and Grado SR80 for sale Last post on 10/17/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is the ATH-ES10 what I want for Christmas? Last post on 11/23/12 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-2400 Vs. Audio Technica ATHESW9 Last post on 11/27/12 at 11:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for rap/hip hop using iPhone!? Last post on 9/22/12 at 1:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Returning the Beats by Dre, looking beyond. Thoughts? Last post on 9/14/12 at 12:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
ATH-ESW9A vs V-Moda M80post #1 of 911/28/11 at 8:30pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 911/30/11 at 11:16pmThread Starterpost #3 of 912/1/11 at 3:50pmpost #4 of 912/1/11 at 4:00pm
I have both. They're very similar. The main difference to me was that the M80 is better built, it's way more durable, will survive some knocking around, and has a detachable cord. But the ESW9 was nicer looking and more comfortable. It just felt easier on my ears, softer. The M80 is comfortable, but felt stiff and didn't sit on my ears as easy-going as the ESW9 does. Total build goes to the M80 hands down. The cords (thickness, sheathed, detachable), the frame (sturdy, very strong). ESW9 though wins on looks, being wood back, lambskin, and ultimately more comfortable to me.
As for sound, well, very similar. They both have excellent butter smooth mids & treble, no fatigue at all, both have very good bass response. The M80 may have an edge on the ESW9A for bass impact. Both have a very liquidy smooth sound though, very warm, organic sounding. Able to kick some EDM, also able to have a relaxed acoustic session.
Ultimately, I think I like the ESWA better for wearing/looking at. But the M80 really is built to last and will survive some mishaps. So, it's a toss up to me.
Very best,post #5 of 912/1/11 at 7:25pmThread Starterpost #6 of 912/1/11 at 8:55pm
I just stumbled upon this thread having the same questions as kjoh. I was looking for headphones with a similar sound signature as the audio technica ath-esw9a's but with a different styling, since they'll be purchased as a xmas gift for a friend. I prefer the classic look of the ath-esw9a's, but my friend would probably like the looks of the m-80's better. Thanks Malveaux!post #7 of 912/1/11 at 11:00pmpost #8 of 912/1/11 at 11:08pmpost #9 of 912/2/11 at 4:47pmQuote:
Customization is definitely a strong point for the m-80's. In addition, they look like they can take more abuse than the ath-esw9's.
- ATH-ESW9A vs V-Moda M80
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › *Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › FS: JDS Labs O2 Amplifier (w/ Rechargeable Batteries and Adapter) 3 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › Blox TM7 (Discussion + Reviews) 3 minutes ago
- › Westone ES5 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 800 ------It's your Hi-end! and a SA5000 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 5 minutes ago
- › The ATH-CKS77..Big, roomy, detailed, balanced, n I am not just... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 for sale only 8 months old. Genuine reason for sale 5 minutes ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital