Exploring what's out there for closed portables Anyone have experience comparing these two yet?
Related Forum Threads
- 3 portables compared: DT1350, Audio Technica ESW9 and V-Moda M80 Last post on 3/6/14 at 12:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- TDK IE800 OR TDK BA200 and Grado SR80 for sale Last post on 10/17/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is the ATH-ES10 what I want for Christmas? Last post on 11/23/12 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-2400 Vs. Audio Technica ATHESW9 Last post on 11/27/12 at 11:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for rap/hip hop using iPhone!? Last post on 9/22/12 at 1:06am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
ATH-ESW9A vs V-Moda M80post #1 of 911/28/11 at 8:30pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 911/30/11 at 11:16pmThread Starterpost #3 of 912/1/11 at 3:50pmpost #4 of 912/1/11 at 4:00pm
I have both. They're very similar. The main difference to me was that the M80 is better built, it's way more durable, will survive some knocking around, and has a detachable cord. But the ESW9 was nicer looking and more comfortable. It just felt easier on my ears, softer. The M80 is comfortable, but felt stiff and didn't sit on my ears as easy-going as the ESW9 does. Total build goes to the M80 hands down. The cords (thickness, sheathed, detachable), the frame (sturdy, very strong). ESW9 though wins on looks, being wood back, lambskin, and ultimately more comfortable to me.
As for sound, well, very similar. They both have excellent butter smooth mids & treble, no fatigue at all, both have very good bass response. The M80 may have an edge on the ESW9A for bass impact. Both have a very liquidy smooth sound though, very warm, organic sounding. Able to kick some EDM, also able to have a relaxed acoustic session.
Ultimately, I think I like the ESWA better for wearing/looking at. But the M80 really is built to last and will survive some mishaps. So, it's a toss up to me.
Very best,post #5 of 912/1/11 at 7:25pmThread Starterpost #6 of 912/1/11 at 8:55pm
I just stumbled upon this thread having the same questions as kjoh. I was looking for headphones with a similar sound signature as the audio technica ath-esw9a's but with a different styling, since they'll be purchased as a xmas gift for a friend. I prefer the classic look of the ath-esw9a's, but my friend would probably like the looks of the m-80's better. Thanks Malveaux!post #7 of 912/1/11 at 11:00pmpost #8 of 912/1/11 at 11:08pmpost #9 of 912/2/11 at 4:47pmQuote:
Customization is definitely a strong point for the m-80's. In addition, they look like they can take more abuse than the ath-esw9's.
- ATH-ESW9A vs V-Moda M80
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › PONO - are you really serious??? 2 minutes ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 2 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 2 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Over-The-Ear Headphones under $200?? 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Closed Circumaural PC Cans (Gaming/Movies) 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude