Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG - Quincy Jones Signature Series Q701 vs. Grado 325i
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG - Quincy Jones Signature Series Q701 vs. Grado 325i

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

Have:

 

Sennheiser HD650, powered by Matrix M-Stage, Musical Fidelity V-DAC, computer as source, all Audioquest interconnects.

 

Between these two headphones, which should I get?  I'm all ears for suggestions.  Just looking to explore some new sounds.  I used to have a pair of MS-1s but my biggest gripe with them was their lack of bass.

 

What do you guys think?

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AKG+-+Quincy+Jones+Signature+Series+Q701+Headphones/2244032.p?id=1218315992699&skuId=2244032&st=akg%20q701&cp=1&lp=1

 

vs. 

 

Grado SR-325i

 

I really want a set of ATH-M50s as a set of 'basshead' cans, but I feel that's irrelevant to this thread.  Though, maybe that could sway my opinion as to which new cans to get....


Edited by I3eyond - 11/28/11 at 5:03pm
post #2 of 31

Did you ever try the flat pads on the Grados?

post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 

I used bowl pads and comfies.  Preferred the bowl pads at the time. 

post #4 of 31

I had all 3 pads for a pair of 325i and liked each for different genres. The flats allow more bass out of the 3.

 

I assume that you've never heard the 701 but like what you've read. Since you've already tasted Grado, I will recommend the AKG.Some love em', some hate em'.  I'm somewhere in the middle.

 

....and what, no love for Beyerdynamic?             beyersmile.png

post #5 of 31

The M-Stage and the AKG are natural friends - and it would be a great complement to your Sennheisers. 

post #6 of 31

 

 3 x completely different headphones, you'd have to try really hard to find 3 more strange headphones in

 the one place :-)

 

 Depends what you want.

post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

The M-Stage and the AKG are natural friends - and it would be a great complement to your Sennheisers. 



Yes, a good surprise on the opposite side. k701smile.gif

post #8 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post



Yes, a good surprise on the opposite side. k701smile.gif



Opposite in what sense? 

post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eyond View Post



Opposite in what sense? 



Well, If I'll tell ya you not going to be surprised. wink.gif

post #10 of 31

Have both.  The Q might be a bit more neutral as in frequency response.  That's fine but it's not bumpy in the mid-bass which makes it less "fun".  The 325is are brighter up top, not too much for me, but with a much more pleasing mid-range.  The Q is a little plastiky in the mids, not quite real.  The Grados have that mid-bass hump which I don't mind at all. I've instantly switched back and forth and I'll take the Grados every time.  I really wanted to like the Q701 (I do) and as long as you don't do instant comparos, you'll be O.K..  Please spare me that the best headphones have to be "neutral".  It ain't so, but, YMMV.

post #11 of 31

If you do get Q701s, please don't pay $399 on that best buy link!  eek.gif  (hint: amazon)

post #12 of 31
Thread Starter 

Between the Grado and AKG sound, which is closer to the Martin Logan's with the folded tweeter design?

 

And, perhaps the biggest question:  Which between the AKGs and Grados is the most opposite from my HD650 in sound, and how?

post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

Have both.  The Q might be a bit more neutral as in frequency response.  That's fine but it's not bumpy in the mid-bass which makes it less "fun".  The 325is are brighter up top, not too much for me, but with a much more pleasing mid-range.  The Q is a little plastiky in the mids, not quite real.  The Grados have that mid-bass hump which I don't mind at all. I've instantly switched back and forth and I'll take the Grados every time.  I really wanted to like the Q701 (I do) and as long as you don't do instant comparos, you'll be O.K..  Please spare me that the best headphones have to be "neutral".  It ain't so, but, YMMV.



What about the sub bass?

post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eyond View Post

Between the Grado and AKG sound, which is closer to the Martin Logan's with the folded tweeter design?

 

And, perhaps the biggest question:  Which between the AKGs and Grados is the most opposite from my HD650 in sound, and how?



The speaker comparison might be a stretch biggrin.gif

 

But as for your second question, easy, Grado

 

Grados are much more forward, lively across the upper mid range and treble, solid mid bass hump that kicks along kick drums, unforgiving

with poor material while the HD650 is benign and kind in that respect to your ears ~ driver speed ~ there is a sensation that Grado drivers

feel very fast indeed, this has been proven on some of Purrin's graphs which shows very fast note attack and decay rates of an RS1 versus

a HD650 and Denon D2000. HD650 came second, D2000 lagged behind, RS1 was quickest to draw.

 

Soundstage is very deep but not very wide, detail is equal if not superior in my opinion to the HD650 due to the inherent Grado bright signature.


Edited by Gwarmi - 11/30/11 at 3:49am
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post



What about the sub bass?

Not a lot on either one.  So far, the two sub-bass phones I bought, D7000 and LCD-2 rev.1, had too many other problems.  Sub-bass (below 32Hz) is fun but it sure isn't everything.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG - Quincy Jones Signature Series Q701 vs. Grado 325i