Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 - Page 3

post #31 of 49

those vintage monitor 10 and 10R sounds great as well. but it is darn heavy due to metal materials in almost every part on the headphone frame.

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

those vintage monitor 10 and 10R sounds great as well. but it is darn heavy due to metal materials in almost every part on the headphone frame.


+1

 

The Monitor 10 is great, in my opinion. I love my pair very much. And yes, the are constructed quite well, I think.

post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post


+1

 

The Monitor 10 is great, in my opinion. I love my pair very much. And yes, the are constructed quite well, I think.

I have a pair of Pioneer SE-500s myself, and I find them to be quite nice. I've been looking into getting a Monitor 10 myself but every time one comes up it goes out of my affordable price range...

post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

I've been looking into getting a Monitor 10 myself but every time one comes up it goes out of my affordable price range...

 

Mine as well, and rather quickly at that.  frown.gif

post #35 of 49
Im going to be looking into grabbing a portable headphone soon. It will be my first audiophile grade pair so I'm interested in hearing more about these, they do look nice but that price sounds steep.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

Im going to be looking into grabbing a portable headphone soon. It will be my first audiophile grade pair so I'm interested in hearing more about these, they do look nice but that price sounds steep.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

 

Based on your inventory (both current and past) I don't think you're gonna like these.  redface.gif  What genres are you into?

post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

Im going to be looking into grabbing a portable headphone soon. It will be my first audiophile grade pair so I'm interested in hearing more about these, they do look nice but that price sounds steep.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I would suggest an AKG K240 Studio. Much less expensive than these and less than the popular ATH-M50, and I can almost guarantee they sound better. Be sure you order from an authorized dealer like Guitar Center, there are a couple of different fakes that commonly show up on amazon.

 

The sound is warm and detailed, the lows extend pretty deep, the mids are great, and the highs are crystal clear and smooth. They can be driven out of virtually anything and they are the most comfortable thing I have ever put on my head. I have the ATH-M50 as well, and I like the K240's more. Their sound is very relaxing and laid-back. One thing to consider though is that they are semi-open, and while they do isolate a little, its not optimal.

 

They are very big though, they draw a lot of attention, so you might not like that. The cable is also very long (10 feet) so you should keep pocket space in mind.


Edited by takato14 - 9/2/12 at 2:27pm
post #38 of 49

Well he's rockin' Mad Dogs at the moment, so I'm thinking he wants something MORE portable than that... smile.gif

post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Well he's rockin' Mad Dogs at the moment, so I'm thinking he wants something MORE portable than that... smile.gif

What? T50RPs are NOT easily driven portably, I don't know what you're talking about. The K240 Studio is much more portable than his T50RPs since you don't have to lug around a standalone amp.

 

If he really wanted, he could get a shorter aftermarket cable for the K240s to save pocket space but I think that's a little bit overkill...


Edited by takato14 - 9/2/12 at 7:50pm
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

What? T50RPs are NOT easily driven portably, I don't know what you're talking about. The K240 Studio is much more portable than his T50RPs since you don't have to lug around a standalone amp.

 

If he really wanted, he could get a shorter aftermarket cable for the K240s to save pocket space but I think that's a little bit overkill...

 

No, I think you misunderstand me.  He has both a Mad Dog and an iBasso PB2.  If he really wanted to, he could make that a little portable rig right there.  But because he referenced the possibility of getting an SE-MJ591, I'm thinking he wants something smaller (form factor wise), and closed, with decent isolation.  He didn't mention anything about wanting to ditch his amp, so I'm not going to take that into consideration at this time.

 

IMO, K240 Studios do not qualify as good portable headphones.  They leak, have a rat's ass worth of isolation, and do not transport well in bags, sacks, etc.  I love mine, I really do, but every attempt to take them out of the house has proven frustrating at best.  They are - at best - transportable cans, not portable cans.

 

And since you have a pair of K240s yourself, you personally know that some people do not consider them truly rich sounding until they are amped.  So just because he picks up a pair of those doesn't mean he gets to leave his amp at home.

 

On many levels, the M50 may serve his needs, but he's going to want to audition those before he makes a call as many consider those to be bass-heavy.  HMMV.

 

In any case, based upon what he already has, I stand by what I said.  And I also reiterate that I don't think he'll like the sound signature of the SE-MJ591 very much.  The lack of clarity and detail - in comparison to what he currently has - is REALLY going to piss him off.

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

No, I think you misunderstand me.  He has both a Mad Dog and an iBasso PB2.  If he really wanted to, he could make that a little portable rig right there.  But because he referenced the possibility of getting an SE-MJ591, I'm thinking he wants something smaller (form factor wise), and closed, with decent isolation.  He didn't mention anything about wanting to ditch his amp, so I'm not going to take that into consideration at this time.

 

IMO, K240 Studios do not qualify as good portable headphones.  They leak, have a rat's ass worth of isolation, and do not transport well in bags, sacks, etc.  I love mine, I really do, but every attempt to take them out of the house has proven frustrating at best.  They are - at best - transportable cans, not portable cans.

 

And since you have a pair of K240s yourself, you personally know that some people do not consider them truly rich sounding until they are amped.  So just because he picks up a pair of those doesn't mean he gets to leave his amp at home.

 

On many levels, the M50 may serve his needs, but he's going to want to audition those before he makes a call as many consider those to be bass-heavy.  HMMV.

 

In any case, based upon what he already has, I stand by what I said.  And I also reiterate that I don't think he'll like the sound signature of the SE-MJ591 very much.  The lack of clarity and detail - in comparison to what he currently has - is REALLY going to piss him off.

I realize this, I figured the reason he wanted a portable headphone was to avoid needing really deep pockets.

 

Honestly the K240 has more bass than the M50, but the M50's recessed mids make the bass seem overpowering. Plus, it doesn't work very well with some music, the K240 seems much more versatile to me. 

 

However, if size and form factor are the issue here, I must direct him to the Beyerdynamic DT1350. It's cheaper than the SE-MJ591, and is literally a do-it-all headphone. The bass response is totally flat, the PRaT is unbelievable, the resolution is great, the imaging is precise... I could go on but that would be rambling. If he's willing to pay for it, the 1350 is better in all aspects than any headphone mentioned thus far.

post #42 of 49
I think the V-Moda M80 has replaced the 591 as my portable cans.
Reply
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

I realize this, I figured the reason he wanted a portable headphone was to avoid needing really deep pockets.

 

Honestly the K240 has more bass than the M50, but the M50's recessed mids make the bass seem overpowering. Plus, it doesn't work very well with some music, the K240 seems much more versatile to me. 

 

However, if size and form factor are the issue here, I must direct him to the Beyerdynamic DT1350. It's cheaper than the SE-MJ591, and is literally a do-it-all headphone. The bass response is totally flat, the PRaT is unbelievable, the resolution is great, the imaging is precise... I could go on but that would be rambling. If he's willing to pay for it, the 1350 is better in all aspects than any headphone mentioned thus far.

 

Hmm, as he did mention the steep price for the SE-MJ591, I can see where you're going with that.  And just to be clear, I do love me some K240 action - and I agree that they are very versatile genre-wise.  But the lack of portability just slays me (and believe me, I've tried).  biggrin.gif

 

I also have a pair of AKG K422, and I must admit that it sounds quite the business.  If my K240 had told me that it started out in life as a K422 - before it grew up - I'd believe it.  Of course, the fatal flaw in the K422 is that it is also semi-open.  Portable?  Yes.  Private?  No.

 

I haven't heard the DT1350 at all, so I'm afraid I can't quite back you up there (purely from lack of experience you understand).  But your impressions above do make it rather enticing for my personal needs so I might just need to audition that myself given the chance.  I'm just afraid of that classic Beyer sibilance, which may or may not be there I just dunno.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

I think the V-Moda M80 has replaced the 591 as my portable cans.

 

THIS.  The M-80 is a much better choice than the SE-MJ591.  If he doesn't mind the urban styling, the signature is actually far more balanced than one might think for a can of this type (i.e. fashion headphones).

 


 

Just one last word on the SE-MJ591 as it might pertain to kskwerl...  I once read in an acoustics textbook that humans lose their high-frequency hearing at a rate of 1Hz per day beginning at age 30.  kskwerl, I have no idea how old/young you are.  But lemme just say that, if the statement about hearing loss is true, and you happen to approximately 54 years or older, you're gonna LOVE the SE-MJ591!!!

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

FWIW, Pioneer does have another pair of "audiophile" headphones, the SE-A1000, that I rather like.  I don't know if I would call it "audiophile" grade myself, but it's sounds great for certain genres (rock in particular).  Not too many mentions of that one either, but I enjoy that WAAYYY more than I do the SE-MJ591.  smile.gif

Any reason why you enjoy them more than the pricier 591?

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

FWIW, Pioneer does have another pair of "audiophile" headphones, the SE-A1000, that I rather like.  I don't know if I would call it "audiophile" grade myself, but it's sounds great for certain genres (rock in particular).  Not too many mentions of that one either, but I enjoy that WAAYYY more than I do the SE-MJ591.  smile.gif

 

Any reason why you enjoy them more than the pricier 591?

 

 

The SE-A1000 has much better extension on both ends.  With the SE-A1000, bass and treble cease to be abstract concepts and more of a reality.  However, they are open cans - and thus not very portable - so they might not work for you if you're looking for a pair of portables.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591